Sorcerer Stabber Orphen Fan Fiction ❯ It's in the Family ❯ Chapter 13 ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: The usual, I don't own any of the characters in SSO.

This is set after Sorcerous Stabber Orphen: Revenge. This is based off the Anime only and the English ADV versions at that. Warning Spoilers!

Chapter 13*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

After a couple of hours, Garik returned again to his scrying orb. He re-focused on the entry to his former hide-out. He observed that the sorcerers had returned with one of the Hunters and were now exiting the cave. `They look upset. I guess they found the gifts I left the Huntress.' He'd barely finished that thought when her pet sorcerer let loose a powerful spell into the entrance of the cave, collapsing it. `Yes, he found it and is quite unhappy. Good to know.' He watched her pet sorcerer speak quickly to the others and teleport away. The red-headed one grabbed the tether for her pet's horse before mounting his own. The others followed suit and all turned towards the house, with a Wolven following them. Garik sighed, "Still no mistakes, yet, but I'm patient. I've already waited a thousand years and I'll be ready for your mistake, Huntress." Garik looked up from his orb as it blanked out when the group entered the protective zone held in place by the Wolven, to see that his demon servant had returned.

"He is checking on the answer and our ally."

"Good," Garik said. "We will be ready when they move."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Devon, Hartia and Majic arrived on back at the mansion to see Tistiny stepping out of the doorway as they dismounted.

"I take it you found what you were looking for," she said quietly.

"More than we ever wanted," Hartia said as he led all four horses towards the stables, "but I think you already know."

"Some." Tistiny replied, gesturing them to enter the house. "We have servants that can take care of the horses."

"I know. I want to tend them." Hartia said, grimly.

"You would." Tistiny whispered, so quietly Hartia didn't hear, although Majic did.

"Um…I may see Doctor Hale afterwards." Hartia saw Tistiny's eyes widen as concern colored her features, "To help him, no one's hurt." He reassured her.

Tistiny nodded understandingly, "Doc Hale or Doc Falton?"

Hartia eyes lit up momentarily when he heard that very familiar name. Doc Falton was the town's veterinarian. Silently thanking Tistiny for her veiled suggestion, Hartia realized that was an even better idea, since Doc Hale had made it quite clear that if he needed any healing help, he would call them. He'd emphatically said that they should spare their energy for those that really needed it, instead of healing scraped knees and cuts, slight injuries that taught lessons to the young. "Um…Falton instead. Also, I will need to return to the Tower as soon as I finish up. I need to update Azalie and get a few questions answered." Hartia swallowed down his fury, which had been at a low simmer ever since they'd first met up with Devon outside the cave and had surged again when they witnessed Garik's handiwork.

After Hartia moved away with the horses, Tistiny addressed Devon and Majic, "Alik and Cleo are still asleep. Orphen is out back, chopping wood, if you want to do something active until dinner."

Devon just nodded and walked around the house.

Majic watched, almost dumbstruck. Each one of them was going their separate ways to cope with what they'd discovered, but he really didn't know what he wanted to do. Part of him wanted to start running and never stop, but another part wanted to go grab Cleo and Alik and never let go.

Sensing Majic's confusion, Tistiny made a decision for him, gently grasping his arm and guiding him inside. Once inside, she said, "Don't you need to finish up that copy of the rubbings?"

Majic nodded, but he was looking up the stairs, towards the door to Cleo's room.

Seeing his gaze, Tistiny figured out what was only just crossing Majic's fuzzy mind, "You know, there's a desk in Cleo's room. You won't disturb them. Although, I suspect Alik will wake first, I estimate they'll both be out for at least another hour or so."

Majic then looked at Tistiny, "Don't you want to know?"

"Are you ready to tell me?"

Majic shuddered as he remembered what they had seen. After a moment, the shudder stopped and he shook his head slightly in a no, which, as he looked down, gradually got more forceful.

Tistiny continued, "When you're ready, or at least have had a chance to come to grips with what you saw, I'll listen. No matter when or what time." With that last line, she hugged him and gave him a nudge towards the stairs. "I'll be up with some lemonade shortly."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

True to Tistiny's estimate, Alik not only woke up first, but also in almost exactly an hour. As they'd agreed when she came up to deliver his lemonade, Majic quickly tried to direct him downstairs, but Alik, however, had a different idea.

"Why are you sad?"

"How'd you…?"

Alik said, "I may be a kid, but I'm not stupid. You look different and you're frowning. Oh…" Alik said knowingly and frowned, too. "You went back…and…and into the cave. Didn't you?"

"Yes. I'm not going to lie. After all, we promised. No lies." Majic said, trying to turn the conversation to a positive note.

"Um…you didn't mention that to anyone else in this room before you went, did you?" Majic shook his head, answering Alik, who grinned wickedly, "You're gonna be in so much trouble. How do you feel about dusting the library?"

Majic chuckled slightly, "I like messing around in libraries. And Cleo knows it. That's still your punishment."

"Drat!" Alik exclaimed, but quickly sobered and went back to the previous topic, "Um… Do you need to talk?"

Majic grinned ruefully and reached out to hug Alik, whispering, "Not yet. But thank you." Breaking off the embrace, Majic continued, "Now, Mariabella's downstairs. She has a snack and …well, if you ask nicely, I bet she'll tell you a story."

Alik turned to go, but stopped to think a moment. "Will you be okay?"

"Yes. I've got the copying to do. So shoo…before you wake Cleo. You know how she can be."

Alik nodded, and then changed the subject entirely, "Do you think she would tell me the tart story?"

With a groan, Majic muttered, "If she must."

"Does that mean you were involved, too? I thought it was just Devon."

Groaning again, "I was and it was all Cleo's idea and that's all I'm saying."

"I can't wait to find out!" Alik said laughingly as he hurried out of the room.

"I can." Majic whispered to no one in particular, savoring the silence, because, once Cleo woke up, there was going to be hell to pay for going without her. The only upshots were that Leki and one of the other Wolven had come along and that Tistiny was the one who'd administered the sleeping draft.

After Alik left, Majic found he couldn't concentrate again on the copy, even though he was only about two lines from finishing. He didn't understand. `Why did Master leave us? What was so horrible he had to get away? What set him off?'

Resignedly, Majic carefully set the paperwork aside so he could think. He moved to the couch and completely away from the desk. The position of the couch afforded him a better view of the bed, where Cleo was still sound asleep. `I need to think. I need to figure this out. Okay, Majic, think. No matter what happened, I need to be logical about this. I-I'll deal with the emotional side later. I need to logically go through the events to figure out why. Master would never leave me… no, us, if it wasn't something he was either trying to protect us from or couldn't deal with himself. In the cave, I remember, he wouldn't let me or anyone else into one of the cells. This was before… before we found Bastian, so it wasn't that. It was after we found the smashed record crystals. Oh, man, it was a whole library…a library of information we could have used. No…focus. Master didn't like that, but he was calm …well, not exactly calm, but in control, but he left early, before we'd finished in the largest room, Garik's room. When we caught up, Master was coming out of the corridor where the cells were. We'd looked at the cells earlier and Devon identified the cell he and Erin shared, the one Alik and Bastian shared, a third Garik sometimes put Devon in when he wanted them all separated, and a fourth. According to Devon, Garik said that cell was reserved …yeah, that was the word Devon said Garik used …reserved, what a sick bastard. No…I can't go there. The cell…was reserved for the Alpha Hunter. The Alpha. Now, we know that was…is…Cleo. Oh, what was in that cell?'

Majic looked at Cleo and realized it had to be something about her. "It was something he did to you, wasn't it?" Majic whispered aloud, although he didn't realize it.

Continuing silently, `That's the only thing now that would set him off like that. The helplessness at knowing it was happening to you, when…he…we, weren't there to protect you. That explains it. When I approached him after he'd snapped at Hartia when he tried to go into the cell, I saw Master's face, he was so pale he was almost white. He was trembling, …not with fear, but literally shaking with rage. And, his eyes. Oh…I haven't seen that pain in his eyes since…since… we thought…. Stop it!! I can't!' Majic thought desperately, shaking his head in denial.

He took a deep breath to focus. `Next was…damn. Okay…Master and Devon stayed outside of the cell. I went in behind Hartia. I heard him gasp and he started to push me back, but I dodged to look around him…Oh, God…I-I, what was I thinking? I just thought Devon was being a drama king again when he'd said he'd seen it and didn't want to go back, but …Garik, he-he skinned the boy …alive, probably… Oh, God, I lost my lunch and I doubt I'll ever see anything worse than….' Majic began whispering again, "No, I won't think about that. I can't, I have to strong. For me, for her, for Master, for everyone."

"You are strong, Majic."

"No, I'm weak." Majic responded.

"You're not weak, you're strong. Don't underestimate yourself."

"If I was strong, I wouldn't have thrown up in the cave. I'd be able to handle this. I wouldn't …would be…" Majic put his head down, realizing tears had been flowing down his cheeks.

He felt an arm go around his shoulder and realized the voice he'd been hearing hadn't been his own thoughts, but Cleo. He heard her whispered question, "The cave?"

"Oh…Cleo, it was…it was so…so…" Sobbing, Majic couldn't continue.

Cleo pulled him close, whispering in his ear, "Majic, I won't tell you it'll be alright, because I can't see the future, but…we'll all face it together. You aren't weak for feeling. Feelings make you stronger and give you a reason to go on."

Majic continued to incoherently mutter and sob as Cleo tried to get a clarification from him. "Majic, did you and the others go back to the cave?"

Majic managed a weak nod. "You went in. Didn't you? Oh, Majic." Cleo's murmured, pulling Majic into an even tighter embrace. "That was why I was so insistent on coming; I figured you'd end up staying outside with me. I knew I couldn't go in …but, I would have kept you… and Alik, with me. I-I wanted…no…needed, to protect you both from…" Cleo stopped, blinking back some tears of her own, as she remembered much of what happened. She harshly pushed it back, not wanting to face it, believing she wouldn't be able to help Majic if she broke down.

"Cleo…I-I knew it was bad… but …even in my worst…nightmares. I-I could never have imagined…"

"Majic…I'm alive. I'm out of there, so is Alik. You're one of the ones that saved me …no, us."

"But I didn't do anything."

"Yes, you did. I heard you revealed the …um…golem. Is that right?"

"Well…I guess." Majic replied weakly.

"See. You had a big part in our rescue. Do you really think Orphen would have left if it hadn't been confirmed that I was alive and it was a trick? You were strong enough to take the chance and cast that spell. A spell I know you've had precious little practice with. And if that doesn't take strength and courage, I don't know what does."

Looking up at Cleo, still sniffling, Majic said, "So…I…I'm not in trouble?"

"Oh…I didn't say that. All of you are in trouble for casting a sleep spell on me so you could go."

"Un uh…you…um…your mother put something in your tea and Alik's milk. It wasn't us. The sorcerers are innocent." Majic said, attempting a joke, but spoiled the effect with a sniffle.

"Hmmm… So…this time, the sorcerers are innocent, you say. But you left and went to the cave, when you knew I wanted to be there. So, innocent? Maybe for drugging me, but the sorcerers, as you put it, are quite guilty of leaving me behind. But we'll deal with that later." Cleo looked intently into Majic's eyes. "I-I may…no…I know, I can't talk about it yet." Cleo glanced down and away, blinking back a few tears as she composed herself again. Looking back into Majic's eyes, she continued, "But I can and will listen, when you need to talk."

"God, Cleo, how can you say that?!? I saw what was in there. There was blood everywhere… Everywhere, Cleo. There wasn't one room that didn't have blood in it." Majic's voice broke as he said, "Not one!"

"I know." Cleo whispered, "That's why I needed go with you. You didn't…."

"Stop it! Stop protecting me! I'm not nine years old anymore. I wanted to know! I had to know what you went through. How can I help you …like you always helped me… if I didn't know or, at least, had some idea?"

"Then let's talk. What did you see? Did you go in every room? Who all was there?"

"I-It was just the four of us, Leki and um…I think it was Polikapi, but I can't tell them apart."

"I have trouble, too," Cleo said encouragingly, "Polikapi has a blonde tuft on his left ear but please…continue."

"Uh…yeah. Devon pointed out what the rooms were, the cells, kitchen, and Garik's room, with the library."

"Library," Cleo repeated quietly, "or laboratory?"

"Laboratory works, too. Had the examination table with the straps and the knives…" Majic stopped when he felt a shudder go through her. "Oh…um, is that where he…?" He felt Cleo tense and inhale sharply.

"What else was in the room, Majic?" Cleo said softly, so softly, if he hadn't been in her arms, he wouldn't have heard it, giving him a clue to change the subject.

"There were also record crystals…the key word to that is were. He destroyed them. All that knowledge. Lost. Gone forever. He wasted it."

Cleo froze and interrupted. "That was me."

"What do you mean, you?"

"I-I shattered the crystals." She said tensely, bracing herself for his explosion.

Majic looked at Cleo, utterly shocked. He knew she understood how badly they needed information and how valuable the record crystals were, from the time they'd spent on Baltander's. That she would destroy them didn't make sense. Part of him wanted to rail at her for doing it, but he refused to jump to conclusions, especially since she was talking. He examined her and saw how rigidly she was sitting, and realized she was bracing herself. She was expecting to be in trouble. That, more than anything, diffused any remaining outrage he felt at the lost of the information. Finally, he simply asked, "Why?"

"I couldn't take them with…and…and…Ga…G…" Cleo sighed frustrated with herself, and continued with, "he had found that several of the crystals held the locations of some of his brethren. He gloated that one crystal revealed the location of six of his lieutenants and another lead to one of his squads…squads, Majic. Fifteen or more…like him. I-I couldn't let him take that knowledge with him and he said he hadn't finished looking through all of them. I had to…" Cleo broke away from Majic, moving to the far end of the couch, bringing her knees up to her chest and sitting in a ball. She looked away from Majic, rocking, and continued brokenly, "I knew he'd hate….but, I couldn't leave…I couldn't…please, tell me I…didn't screw up as always…that he…he won't hate…me…that you won't…." Cleo broke off, unable to continue, as she looked pleadingly into Majic eyes, tears streaming from her own as she silently cried.

Majic moved to her, lifted her into his arms and cradled her across his lap. Using one hand, he moved her face so he could look right into her eyes. Comfortingly, he said, "Cleo…you did the right thing. If any of those crystals could have helped him find others, you had to. No one will blame you or be angry with you for doing that. Not me, not Master. It's okay. You did a good thing. You delayed his plans."

"I-I guess. Just like Argenthua said. I bought us time, when I smashed the vials of…um…the-the crystals are the same thing." Cleo murmured relaxing.

`Oh, shit…vials…those aren't crystals. Wait, didn't? Oh, yeah…Master said something about that, right after Argenthua's first visit. When they went back upstairs that night, the night Cleo returned, he said she'd gone back into the cave after almost getting out, to go back to Garik's room to destroy some vials of her blood. She didn't just destroy the vials, and then didn't want to tell us about the crystals, because she thought we'd be angry. I have to tell him.' "That's right, she did. Um…when did you shatter the crystals?"

"When I destroyed the vials…I-I…Dortin helped us out of the cells. I-I went back, since…G..he was out, and destroyed the vials and the crystals. I-I was so…scared he'd come back while I-I was there, but if I didn't, he would have had them…the crystals, to find more…and my blood, which… gave him strength. He…he…" Cleo stopped unable to continue. She was shaking and crying in his arms.

"It's okay." Majic murmured, rubbing her back reassuringly, "You did right. No one would say otherwise. If they do, they'll answer to me." With a slight chuckle, "Or Master, if he hears first." He used the sleeve of his shirt to wipe her face and his own. "You may have felt scared, but you were braver than I could ever have been. I-I would not have been able to go back…no matter how necessary it was. I wanted to run, especially after seeing the torture table and B-b-bastian. I still do. I want to run from what I saw… um…both times. I've tried to block out the first…"

Cleo looked up sharply, realizing Majic wasn't just talking about her experience. "You mean…"

"Yeah…Jared and M-mom. One of the reasons…that I've avoided talking about what happened to them for the last …heavens… nearly four years? Um…has it really been that long?… But, Cleo, I've wanted to ask… but first …this is a secret…you can't tell anyone…especially Master. Oh…God… if I'm right."

"Oh…right about what? What did you want to ask?"

"Cleo, you saw everything, too… Did you see or hear anything unusual? That, with our experience on the road wasn't consistent with bandits?"

Cleo grinned slightly, realizing Majic had come to the same conclusion she had. "You mean like the magic lights and the huge footprints? And the fact that Orphen paled when I mentioned the purple flashes when I was giving him a brief run down of what happened on my way to drag you off the roof? Again."

"Oh…you figured it out, too."

"Majic, I'm not a sorcerer, but I'm also not stupid. I guessed a few years ago. Once we started traveling…trying to save a dragon lady who'd gone nuts…it was like two and two equaling four. I didn't say anything because I didn't know how much you really remembered. And a few other reasons."

"Like how he would have reacted. I guess we kept quiet for the same reasons." With a mischievous grin, he added, "To protect our protector."

With a matching grin, "Exactly. But it's more than that, isn't it?" Cleo pressed slightly, since he was talking about what happened.

"Yeah…it hurt to much too even think about them. I lived, they didn't. I keep thinking I could have saved them. I mean, I'm a sorcerer, but I hid."

"Think about two things. One, who put you in the barrel and ordered you not to come out until…well, you remember? Two, you've been at the Tower, Majic. How old are most of the apprentices who can cast?"

"I know. Logically, I know. She, …Mom told me to stay and the majority of sorcerers can't or don't cast their first strong spells until they're in their early teens. But, emotionally…I'm still a mess."

"No, you're not. You're human…you experience the same emotions…same feelings, same hurts and the same joys. You…we don't have to go through them alone. We have friends and family that can help, when we let them." Cleo poked him in the chest to punctuate her next statement, "And don't you forget that, Majic Lynn. Understand?"

"Perfectly. But, that goes for you, too, Cleo Everlasting. Understand?" Majic replied, grabbing her finger before she could poke him again.

"Yes, I understand perfectly, as well. Now, did you know that you're comfortable and I'm still groggy?" Cleo said, as she laid her head on Majic's shoulder.

"But, um…Cleo, my legs are falling asleep, `cause, um…you're heavy."

"Majic, you'd better not be calling me fat."

Even though he was pretty certain she was teasing, he realized he was still treading on very dangerous ground. He quickly thought, `I'm in trouble now, no matter how I answer, so how do I distract ..tract…got it.' Out loud, "Um…I just remembered, we've got a problem."

"A new one?"

"No, I'm afraid it's an old one, rearing its ugly blue head."

"Not the tart incident. Good grief, you turn one person blue, and you're branded for life."

"No, it was only temporary." Majic said, trying unsuccessfully to keep a straight face.

"Oh, that was bad, Majic. But you're right, it was only temporary; you'd think we'd turned him that color permanently, the way everyone treated it like a capital offense. Besides, thanks to someone in this room, we had our punishment."

"I'm sorry, I didn't know they'd make us eat it, too."

"Come on… you told them to send us to bed without dessert, after we'd turned Devon blue using a dessert. You put it in their heads to make us eat that… that… thing."

"I didn't think they'd make us eat it. I was thinking of what would be a bad punishment and missing dessert would have been bad. I didn't think they'd do that. I mean, Dad wasn't that creative."

"Yes, but we were dealing with my parents! Your dad was away and had put my folks in charge. You're right, if it'd been him, we'd have been working in the tavern. If you hadn't said the word `dessert', we'd have just been doing our normal punishments, stables and library, but still been able to laugh at the Blue Boy on our breaks. But no…you had to say dessert and muck it all up. And then…they had to take that damn picture!"

"That's going to haunt us forever and, um… oh, I know I shouldn't say this, but…um…Orphen asked Doc Hale for a copy of another picture he has."

"He didn't. Not the poison ivy!" Cleo cried, shaking her head in exasperation.

"Yeah…I tried to stop him… but, you know Doc. He loved bringing it up. It was fun back then…even when Jared and Mariabella were getting us into trouble."

"Yeah…do you remember the time Jared…" Cleo started as Tistiny quietly shut the door.

As she started downstairs to check on the older pair, she sighed in relief that, not only had Majic talked about the events of that day, but also broken though the block he'd had on talking about the good times with Jared and Mariabella. `He's healing, finally. And she's starting. I just hope both of them can help the others.'

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

At the Tower of Fang, Hartia burst into Azalie's quarters and, in a severe tone, demanded answers, "Why did we just find the only Hunter currently directly allied to the Tower of Fang outside of the demon's cave?"

"Just a moment, Hartia." Azalie said, glancing around the room anxiously.

"No! I want an answer, damn it! And I want it now!" Hartia demanded angrily.

"I am a Senior Master and, like it or not, your superior. How dare you speak to me in such a tone?" Azalie declared, abrasively matching Hartia's rising ire.

"I don't give a damn. Why the hell weren't you watching him? Also, why was it so important that I stay in Totokonta when I should have been training with the Hunter! In case it has escaped your notice, there's a demented, sadistic demon on the loose. Remember Lai's visions? Death, blood, and mass destruction? Any of this ringing a bell?!?"

"Calm down!" Azalie admonished angrily.

"Like hell! I said I want answers, and telling me to calm down isn't one. Will I have better luck bringing this fiasco to the Elders!?! And don't you think I won't!" Hartia threatened as he became aware that they had an audience. In a thought, `I could care less who she entertains as long as I get my answers.'

"Do it. I'm not the one who left the Tower without orders."

"Damn it, Azalie, quit playing games. I need answers."

"You want answers? Fine." Azalie bit off, "The Hunter snuck out of the Tower. We believed he was too ill to travel, since, when he arrived here, he was practically dead. If you remember, exhaustion, anemia and near starvation are not things that can be healed by magic. Hence, that is why your presence was not necessary, as the doctors did not want the Hunter to be doing any strenuous training for almost a month. Last week, just shy of three weeks after he arrived, he disappeared. We're aware of the danger to the Hunter and the demon that seeks him. So, we've been keeping his disappearance a secret. And, as you'll find out soon enough, when a Hunter does not want to be found, he vanishes, seemingly into thin air. I suggest that you do the same, Junior Master, until you calm down and return to give a report in a more rational state of mind."

Azalie's statement sent Hartia, who'd been clinging to a very fine thread, right over the edge. Harshly, he responded, "I really don't want to be here anyway…but I don't want to stoop to your level, either. You want your report, Azalie? Okay, here you go. I am officially giving you notice that we found and entered the demon's lair. We discovered the remains of two Hunters, who were brutally murdered by the demon, since you want me to be thorough, one had his heart ripped out and his body was mounted as a warning, outside the cave. The other, a ten-year-old boy, was skinned alive! His corpse was left inside the cave to rot."

Azalie brutally suppressed her shock at the viciousness of the demon, refusing to allow Hartia to see any reaction. Inwardly, she was raging and more than a little fearful. They had one Hunter to fight this, and she'd found him to be the most infuriating, stubborn person she'd ever encountered, and that was saying a lot. However, knowing what was in the cave explained why the Hunter, Devon, had wanted to go back so badly. They must have been alive when he left. That kind of loyalty was a definite positive.

"On to the next part of my usual report. Krylancelo is fine, except that he completely collapsed the mountain on the cave because of something he saw inside. Although, what could be worse than the boy, I don't know and I don't think I want to know, either.

Not that you care, but Cleo is healing well. She still won't talk about anything that happened inside the cave. She is still studying the runes and doing an admirable job. Alik is also healing well and everyone should be ready to travel within the next two to three weeks. We will be coming on foot; Krylancelo has demanded it and will not be deterred. Also, your lost Hunter will be traveling, under Wolven guard, with me, to the Ongoing estate, to return the cremated remains of the boys found in the cave for a proper burial. And, now that I've found out the surname of the boys, I need to decide how to best approach a Tower Journeywoman and tell her that her whole family is now dead, slaughtered by the demon.

And one last thing, before we entered the cave, we met Devon, who escaped your watchful eye and announced that he was hunting Krylancelo. So, I guess that begs another question: who issued the contract and why?"

Azalie's eyes widened in shock at that piece of news, "That, I'll look into." Eyes narrowing, she continued brusquely, "Now, you've finished your rant. I believe I said leave, until you were in a more rational frame of mind and could deliver your report in the proper manner." Azalie said coldly.

"Go to Hell! You want a report, go ask Krylancelo! I'm through with you!" Hartia shouted as he slammed out of the room.

"Hmmm… that went well." Azalie mused, after a moment of silence.

A voice came out of the shadows, criticizing her behavior, "You may be a Senior Master, but you still have a lot to learn about people. Condescending to someone who, if you read between the lines, was practically crying out for help, makes enemies of allies. I can see the Elders are remaking you in their image."

"Damn you! I don't need that. He was out of line and you know it!"

"So, two wrongs make a right?"

"I know, damn it. Why didn't you see this coming? You know I've always been better at provoking people than soothing."

"Observing people is not a special ability. You just demonstrated your skill or lack thereof. Now, what do you plan on doing about it."

"I guess follow Hartia's advice. I'll go talk to Krylancelo, although what kind of reception I'll get, I don't know. If you'll excuse me."

"Go tomorrow; let their tempers cool. Today, they had a shock. Give them some time to think. Also, in spite of how it was delivered, he did give a report so you need to deliver a report yourself." In a tone that brooked no argument, he added, "You also have an apology to rehearse."

She opened her mouth to protest, but, after reviewing the events discussed over the last few minutes, mutely nodded before turning to leave. "I'm going for a walk."

After she left the room, he shook his head, and muttered ruefully, "You're not going to walk…you're going to brood up at the top of the tower. Just like your brother."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hartia entered the Everlasting mansion, slamming the door behind him and sending the servant who greeted him scurrying away with a glare. Mariabella, having been waiting for someone's return, witnessed the scene and hurried up to Hartia.

"You're back. Tea's ready…well, cof…"

"Not now." Hartia ground out, displaying his temper in front of her for the first time.

"Okay…" Mariabella said soothingly. "Maybe later."

"Leave me alone!" Hartia snarled.

"As you wish, Master Hartia!" Mariabella snapped back and turned away, holding her breath, praying he'd come back to himself. `This isn't him. Mother warned me he might be like this. She wouldn't give me details, but she said to expect it and do what I could to break the cycle of anger. I hope this works.'

Hartia stopped himself, took a deep breath and visibly tried to relax, "It's not you. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have snapped. Tea will be fine, later, and greatly appreciated, but right now, I need to talk to Krylancelo. Do you know where he is?"

She turned back to him smiling, gently, "Yes. After he finished spending most of the afternoon chopping wood with Devon, he and Majic stepped outside for a walk. I believe they were going to be going over some of today's events. Since they just left, you should be able to catch up to them easily."

"Thank you," he replied gratefully.

"I'll be in the drawing room, waiting. Take your time."

Hartia nodded and hurried out to catch up with his two friends.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Once he stepped outside, Hartia didn't immediately see Orphen or Majic. Not wanting to waste anytime, he chanted "Away" and `ported to the roof of the mansion for a better view, only to be surprised when a voice spoke up.

"What kept you?"

"Damn it, don't do that!" Hartia yelped, regaining his balance after nearly falling off the roof.

"Falling gets you kicked out of the Roof Sorcerer Club." Majic said, giggling.

"Well, that solved my problem of finding you. Why up here?"

"Cleo." Orphen stated.

"Huh?"

"She hates heights." Majic clarified.

"Also, we're within the Wolven blocks here." Orphen added.

"Good to know. I need to…" Hartia started.

"Majic, first." Orphen interrupted and sent a glance Majic's way. Majic nodded. "He said he had to talk to me ASAP, about Cleo. So, unless this is more important then that, you wait."

"It's just Tower bullshit, related to the other woman in your life. What about Cleo? Is she okay? Did Garik make another appearance?"

"She's okay, nothing's wrong with her. We talked and she…talked a bit about what happened to her…or more correctly, something she did." Majic paused slightly, unsure how to continue and kind of wanting assurance that they'd react as he'd predicted.

"She talked… that's great news." Hartia said, "Great, a breakthrough. At least something good came out of the disaster today turned out to be."

"Why are you hesitating?" Orphen asked cautiously, adding in a mutter, "It's not like she hasn't done bone-headed stuff in the past."

"I told her… I promised her… that we wouldn't hate her for it."

Orphen paled and Hartia glared, snapping, "Hate her for what?!?"

Nervously, Majic, in a very timid voice, answered, "Um… the little she talked about came after I was…" Majic paused, and gulped before continuing, "lamenting the loss of the record crystals' knowledge. Garik didn't destroy them, she did."

"She did?!?! What possible reason could she have had to do that?" Hartia shouted, his anger surging again.

"Continue." Orphen said, through gritted teeth, trusting that she had a good reason for her actions. Cleo did many annoying, things but she didn't deliberately destroy things, especially things that could be important.

"Um…" Majic shuffled his feet, steeling himself to continue, "Apparently, Garik taunted her with the knowledge that the crystals gave him. Including the location of six of his lieutenants and a full squad, fifteen or more, of his soldiers."

"Twenty-one more magic resistant monstrosities. So much for the day improving. Okay…I'd say this makes the top ten list of worst days."

"Shut up, Hartia." Orphen growled before turning to Majic. "Why? Why would she think we'd hate her?" He was relieved that his instincts were correct, she'd had a good reason, a damn good one. Although, it still hurt to know she feared his anger …no, it was deeper than that. `Of course, she didn't want me to hate her. She feared I'd reject her. I've given her plenty of reasons to believe that I might reject her, especially in the first week after she returned to me… us. It's not going to happen anymore, but I guess it'll take a while to convince her of that. And for once, I can't blame her, but it doesn't stop it from hurting,' he thought remorsefully.

"The loss of the crystals. Don't forget the library on Baltander's. She knows the value of them. She said she couldn't leave them for Garik and she couldn't take them with her. After seeing the cave, it's obvious that hiding them wasn't an option, so she destroyed them. She was so…"

Majic was interrupted, "She stopped him from getting more information. She couldn't carry them, she could barely stand unassisted, she… she was that weak. And she went back… in there to that room …" Orphen broke off. He also realized that at the time this all happened, she hadn't been up to talking much. He silently prayed he would never see her in such a weakened state again, even though, at the time, he had been beyond grateful she was there, and alive.

"We'd defeat Garik easily if all of us had even half her courage." Hartia muttered in a self-depreciating manner, thinking back on his `visit' to the cave and the thought of going back in there still churned his stomach. "I can see how she could think that. I mean, we spend most of our time protecting Heavenly One artifacts. Their knowledge is irreplaceable, but, in the same situation, I can only hope that I-we would make the same decision."

"No wonder he was mad, no, furious. She cost him so much. We may never know exactly how much, but what we do know, I'm going to thank her for. He may still find them, so we'd better plan on having to confront the ones he mentioned to her. But, do you really want to think how many more there might have been in the crystals Garik hadn't gotten to? There was residue for hundreds of crystals in that room. Did she say if Garik told or taunted her with where the soldiers were hidden?"

"No…she didn't and, honestly, I didn't think to ask. But, I still don't understand. How did she destroy them all so quickly? She didn't say." Majic asked.

"That's easy," Hartia answered, "From the state of the room, I'd say she knocked the shelf over and, since she had the walking stick…she probably used that on anything that was missed."

"She's thorough. That's exactly what she probably did. Then she hobbled out to where Dortin and Alik were waiting…and started out…on a collision course with me and Leki. I've said it before and I'll say it again, some damsel in distress. Instead of waiting for her rescuer, she not only escaped, but sabotaged the enemy…" He paused, thinking, before deciding he hadn't fooled them before, so why play the game with them now? "That's my girl."
"Okay…maybe the day got better after all. Hearing that certainly makes up for the scene with Azalie earlier."

"Oh, yes. You were to get some information from Mistress Azalie at the Tower. What did you find out, Master Hartia?"

"Other than the fact that Azalie's a cold hearted bitch? Nothing we didn't know already. Basically, the Hunter, Devon, successfully snuck out of the Tower because they didn't think he was well enough for training or escape. She hid his departure from everyone, the Elders, too, I think, in an attempt to offer some protection for him. Also, that a Hunter on the run is hard to find." Hartia paused, sighing, unsure how Orphen was going to react, since he still wasn't sure himself, he added, "Honestly, it felt like she was more concerned about getting rid of me before I noticed she had a lover in the room. We're assassins; if we can't tell how many people are in a room, we won't live long. He was good, good enough to mask himself for a bit, but I'm the best. I was trained by Childman. Amateur." Hartia scoffed.

"We both were, idiot. Do I need to remind you who won our last duel?" Orphen taunted. He accepted the news about the potential lover. He knew, since Childman was an infant, who didn't appear to have any of his memories, that Azalie would probably move on. In fact, he suspected Childman would be disappointed in her if she didn't.

Majic heard the word assassin and, although he'd heard it used several times before, he didn't understand why it was used now, so he asked his question, before Hartia could respond to Orphen's taunt. "You're assassins?"

Hartia looked between the two before settling on glaring at Orphen and answering Majic's question, "I thought it was mentioned during your time at the Tower, but maybe not. It's a title. Used specifically for the sorcerers who go outside of the Tower. Mainly as an intimidation factor, but… some of our training did include assassination techniques. Yes, technically, we could be ordered to kill someone by the Tower, but that power hasn't been called on in years, if not decades, even if the training goes on."

"Do you think we can expect a visit from our sister tomorrow?" Orphen asked.

"Count on it. I did brief her, if she listened."

"In full?"

"Pretty much. I gave her a synopsis. I hit the…um…highlights. It was delivered harshly and you know how she gets about that."

"You were confrontational and looking for a fight. She obliged."

"Her people skills always did suck. But you're right, I was upset and looking for a outlet and a target for my anger."

"She needs to learn how to deal with that if she intends to play Master."

"True. Okay…we've heard Majic's news and mine. Care to share?" Hartia probed.

"No."

"Anyone who didn't expect that…raise their hands." Majic muttered under his breath. Orphen glared at him and Majic simply returned the glare with an understanding look, "You're the one who said we needed to talk about what happened, however traumatic, Master. But if you're not ready…"

"Don't use my own words against me. And yes, once I work through this, I will tell you both."

"Do you give your word?" Majic asked.

"Of course."

"I'm sorry, Krylancelo, but not this time." Hartia interjected, authoritatively, "You blew up a mountain. That says volumes. We can't go back to find out what set you off and you don't need to be radiating that rage around anyone else. It needs to be dispelled and talking about it is your best avenue, since the Everlastings probably have enough wood for three winters for the whole damn town by now. I know your personality. You want to brood, and I'd prefer to give you a chance to. But, this time, no dice."

"Not yet."

"Master, I've never seen you that angry. Even when… Agan… you …I…you blew up a mountain and left us. What was so horrible? It can't be worse than B-bastian."

"Don't bet on it." Orphen growled.

"Your rage," Hartia added, "you've barely got a handle on it. What if someone else sets you off? We know Garik is a master manipulator. What if he decides to play some more head games with you and pushes your buttons? Now, I'll grant you this much, you'd probably think to give the warning to duck…but would Alik, Mariabella or Tistiny think you'd do it? No… so they don't duck. What then?" Hartia said, playing devil's advocate.

In a soft voice, Majic added, "I know you need …err, want, more time to think, but he's right. Please."

Orphen sat down on the roof and put his face in his hands. Majic could see his hands shaking as he brought them up. Very quietly, Orphen began talking, keeping his voice level, "I went in the cell…the Alpha's cell, as Devon put it. Like that made it any better. It-It was Cleo's. I found some long blonde hairs and a scrap of yellow cloth." He pulled a dingy scrap of yellow from a pocket in his vest and held it gingerly, allowing Majic and Hartia to see. "Most likely from her dress. There were chains on the wall and I walked over to examine them. That's where I found the hair. As I was leaving, I-I…" Orphen paused to gather his thoughts. "You know we found Erin out front."

Majic started to interrupt Orphen to find out why he suddenly mentioned Erin, but Hartia silenced him with a hand on his shoulder.

Orphen continued. "He was dressed as me. No doubt, right?" Majic and Hartia simply nodded encouragingly, moving to sit down on either side of Orphen. Voice cracking with emotion, he asked, "What was missing?"

"Oh, shit!" Hartia exclaimed.

"Oh, God, no!" Majic cried, paling and thinking, `It happened, it really happened, he did it in front of her. I dreamed it, but I didn't want to believe it.'

"Are you telling us his heart was in there?"

Orphen nodded, looking down at his boot, as he absently pocketed the scrap of material again, "I s-stepped on it when I was walking out. It was…." Orphen trailed off, raising his hands up in front of his face, he examined them, even as they shook slightly. "It was between two..." Orphen leaned forward on the roof to demonstrate. He put his hands, palm down, on the roof and pushed up. Now standing, eyes riveted to the spot where his hands had been when he stood up. "It was there…between small impressions in the dirt floor, hand shaped impressions. From the state of the ground, I'd guess the hands, h-her hands were…were wet when she got up."

"You not saying?" Hartia pleaded.

"No! It can't be… you're wrong. You have to be wrong. You have…to…" Majic trailed off weakly. "Please, tell me you're wrong." Majic looked up at Orphen, with tears welling up in his eyes.

Orphen sat back down between Majic and Hartia dejectedly. "I wish I could, but it all fits." Orphen admitted, placing his hand on Majic's shoulder and squeezing gently. "Now you know why I didn't want to say anything yet. Our emotions are so raw. Hell, I blew up a damn mountain." Orphen sighed, slumping his shoulders, "You were right, Hartia. I lost control."

"You weren't the only one. Working with Doc Falton calmed me down, but then I had to give that report and thinking about it got me wound up again. The confrontation with Azalie added to it. I lost control, with both Azalie and Mariabella."

Both men glanced towards Majic, "Um… I didn't know what to do. Tistiny pretty much sent me to Cleo's room. When she woke… we talked."

"Hmmm…And Tistiny directed me towards the vet."

"And me towards something physical. Are we really that easy to read?" Orphen muttered.

"To family. Yeah. But, you know, I don't think that's a bad thing." Majic mused aloud.

"So, do we tell Cleo what we've figured out?" Hartia asked, breaking the silence that had fallen after Majic's comment.

"No way in Hell!" Orphen gritted out. "She needs to tell us on her own."

"I-I thought it might help her face the memories, if she knew we knew, but… um… after …um this afternoon, I-I think it might do more harm than good. She would feel guilty."

"You two have known her the longest. I have my suspicions, but what do you think, Krylancelo?"

A new voice interjected, "The guilt will be there, for not telling, whenever she breaks through the memories, but the main guilt will be because she didn't stop it. And she won't be able to rid herself of that for a long time. Revealing, before she's ready to face it internally, would likely cause more problems than it would solve. You're all doing the right thing, your Master would be proud." Tistiny turned to specifically address Majic, "You have something else you need to discuss with your Master, from your talk with Cleo, but that can wait until tomorrow, since you both have come to the same conclusions. It's getting late and you," she paused, grinned mischievously and included all three in her glance, "Roof Sorcerers need to come in. Someone is getting restless."

"Um…how long have you been there?" Hartia asked.

"Long enough that such a great assassin should have known I was here."

"I-I was… um…I was clarifying for the other two, I wasn't asking for myself, you understand." Hartia scrambled to save face while Orphen smirked and Majic succumbed to some very welcome giggles.

"You go on believing that, dear." Tistiny said patronizingly.

"Sure you did!" Majic and Orphen said in unison.

"Okay, that's just annoying." Hartia pouted.

"Now you know what it feels like." Orphen taunted.

"Now… If you'll excuse me, it's been about twenty minutes and if Cleo and Devon are still alone, or even with just Alik, they're fighting. I need to go break it up. Additionally," With a look at Majic, "Alik is waiting downstairs for someone who promised to make some more paper airplanes with him for a few minutes before bedtime." She shifted her gaze to Hartia, "Mariabella is waiting for someone to share tea with her." And finally resting her gaze on Orphen, "I could use some assistance…especially if they start throwing food again. After all, they were in the kitchen."

Orphen arched an eyebrow, looked at Majic and said, "We'll talk tomorrow, go play with Alik for a while, bed at nine." He turned to Tistiny, "Since you heard, I'm sure you'll understand if I leave you in charge of disciplining the `children.' I still need some time."

"I have plenty of experience. My husband always said, physical exertion was a good outlet for anger when you can't confront the target, but…you pay for it the next day. Could I recommend a bath?"

"Yeah…I know someone who said that, too, and besides a bath is a good idea."

"That's right, Master. Otherwise, you might end up thrown out the window."

Orphen just nodded. "If I don't get cleaned up soon, I might beat her to it."

"I suggested that because of other reasons…however, since you mentioned it, you are a little ripe. That is understandable, after all. Thanks to your competition with Devon this afternoon, we have plenty of firewood. Now…everyone off the roof," she said making shooing motions.

"Would you like a lift, Tistiny?" Hartia offered.

"Thank you, but no. I'd just as soon keep my feet solidly on the ground. Or floor, as the case may be."

"But it's fun. You should try it." Majic said, a gleam in his eye, "Unless you're scared."

"That works with Cleo, not me."

"Oh, well…Dad said you wouldn't do it." Majic sighed, hamming it up.

"I doubt your father said any such thing. Nice try, though." Tistiny called him on it, grinning. "Now, off with you. Let's see you do this teleport thing that you've so recently learned."

"Okay!" He glanced at Orphen and Hartia for approval.

"Just downstairs." Orphen answered as Hartia was nodding, hiding a grin.

"Away!" Majic chanted and disappeared in a flash of purple light.

"He is just like Alik with a new toy, wanting to show off. We should hurry downstairs so he can gloat properly. So, stairs? Or flash?"

"Stairs for me, I'm a little wiped." Hartia said, looking towards Orphen.

"Come on, you two." Orphen said with a smirk, as he lightly grasped their arms and chanted, "Towers in Heaven that Dance Around Me." And in a flash of purple light, they all disappeared from the roof.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

For those in the U.S.A., Happy Thanksgiving!

Again, I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedules to follow my story despite infrequent updated. As always, if you include your E-mail or sign-in under your profile, I will respond personally. I also want to do a general thank you for everyone who reviewed. In case you don't know, who you are…my thanks to: Cristina and star_fire04