Sorcerer Stabber Orphen Fan Fiction ❯ It's in the Family ❯ Chapter 17 ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: The usual, I don't own any of the characters in SSO.

This is set after Sorcerous Stabber Orphen: Revenge. This is based off the Anime only and the English ADV version. Warning Spoilers!
 
Author's notes: I know I know, this was a long time coming but the simple fact of the matter is that I had some major shifts occur in my writing process that will probably be continuing for a while. Also, for those in the Houston area, who are going to Shiokaze Con, look me up. I'm doing two panels on Fanfiction on Friday and Saturday.
 
 
Chapter 17
_________________________________________________________________ __________________
 
After his talk with Tistiny, Majic wasn't ready to go back to sleep and staying in the room staring at the bed he should have been sleeping in wasn't helping either. After pacing for a bit, he decided to take a page from his master's book. He went to the roof, a behavior he remembered Cleo dubbed as `the Roof Sorcerer's club'. He thought over Tistiny's suggestions to continue to follow his instincts about how to deal with the dreams. Also, to try to figure out just how he wanted to tell Orphen about the events of the day. `He needs to know, but there's already so much animosity between Orphen and Devon. If I add this, then Master will never trust Devon. Already it's iffy, but if I don't…'
 
With a sigh, Majic sat down and started mulling over his problem further. He weighed the options of telling versus not telling, stood, paced some and then sat back down. After repeating these actions many times, he finally fell asleep leaning against one of the chimneys.
 
_________________________________________________________________ __________________
 
Orphen woke up just after dawn and, reluctantly, got out of the warm bed he shared with Cleo to get up to shift back to his room. As he prepared to teleport he thought, `I'm going to miss this while we're on the road.'
 
“Towers in Heaven that Dance Around Me,” he chanted, reappearing in his own room. He grinned; Tistiny obviously had been there on her rounds since the bed covers were ruffled supporting the illusion he had been sleeping there and had just gotten up. He shook his head, both surprised and immensely flattered by the support and trust in him Tistiny showed in her actions, in spite of past failures.
 
Orphen quickly cleaned up, straightened the bed slightly and hurried downstairs to get his morning coffee. He had barely walked into the kitchen when Tistiny handed a cup to him. He shook his head, remembering that although Cleo was the early riser of the two of them normally, she was upstairs sound asleep. `Well, maybe not soundly since she was stirring a bit, which was all the more reason I needed to get up before… I…'
 
Interrupting Orphen's thought, Tistiny announced, needlessly, “I see she is sleeping in.”
 
“I wish I could have.” Orphen muttered, taking a sip of coffee which helped to reign in his hormones. He turned to leave the kitchen and head to the roof to on the pretense of thinking, although it was just to cool off before the house started fully waking up. Walking up the stairs, he admitted to himself that as much as he needed to stay sleeping where he did, it was a slice of heaven and hell for him; to be that close and only sleep. `Still, I'm not going to risk her health. Besides can we really start anything with this over our heads?' As Orphen reached the roof access, he looked back to her, no, their room. He didn't see or hear any signs that she was up. Chuckling, he muttered, “lazy brat” as he moved up the steep stairs up to the roof, realizing she'd gone fully back to sleep.
 
Once on the roof, he was surprised to find Majic asleep by one of the chimneys. By all appearances, Majic seemed to be having a camp-out since he had a blanket and pillow positioned appropriately for his comfort. Orphen knew better and wondered what drove him to the roof this time, but opted to let him sleep. Shaking his head he thought, `Like Master, like apprentice.' Childman had always said, “Heights heighten thoughts,” and was known for his penchant to think on the top of the tower. Confident that Majic would come to him when he was ready, Orphen moved to a different part of the roof, grinning maliciously at a new thought. He decided to stretch his legs, and enjoy the morning, knowing his movements would ruin someone else's morning.
 
Hartia woke up to the sound of footsteps on the roof. Cursing about Orphen needing to go back to his old habits of sleeping late, Hartia reluctantly got up. After washing his face, he headed downstairs to get some coffee and find out what got someone else moving so bloody early in the morning.
 
Tistiny greeted him warmly and said, “You're up early.”
 
“And exactly how am I supposed to sleep with someone stomping around the roof over my bedroom?”
 
“Oh…well then, why don't you add to that noise, and wake the others? Here's your coffee,” she said handing him a tray that had his filled cup, another empty and a carafe. “And more for refills. If you would, please deliver this refill to the one who woke you.”
 
“Um… thanks, I think.” Hartia stammered, turning to leave before pausing to ask, “He's not worried about something, is he? Not more trouble?”
 
“Not worried per say and …well, that depends on your definition of trouble. However, I think you do have a few things to discuss about yesterday.”
 
_________________________________________________________________ __________________
 
Although Orphen thought Cleo was still asleep, she'd gotten up, too. Partly because of the lack of warmth coming from the other side of the bed and partly to get the day, that would likely be very busy, started. She cleaned up quietly, in deference to those still sleeping, before sitting down at her desk to go over the list everyone had been working on during the last week, although it felt like she and Majic were the only ones working on it. She wanted to see if there were any last minute additions to include when they did the final run into town for shopping for the trip.
 
Once she and Leki arrived downstairs, she talked briefly to her mother and grabbed a bite to eat. While Cleo was eating, Tistiny gave her an update on location of the three sorcerers. Cleo grinned, thinking, `That's so typical.'
 
Her thoughts and the quiet of the morning were both interrupted when Devon and Alik entered loudly, arguing about breakfast. Apparently, Alik didn't want anything and Devon was insisting on a full meal.
 
“Good morning, guys. Now, Alik,” Cleo chided, addressing the protesting child, “my mother fixed a good breakfast for us. Are you going to pass that up?”
 
“But what if my…”
 
“It won't if you eat slowly.”
 
“Okay …I-I'll try,” Alik finally agreed punctuated by a grumble coming from his stomach as he sat at the table. Cleo fixed a plate for him with scrambled eggs and buttered toast and a glass apple juice.
 
When Cleo set the plate in front of Alik, a very relieved Devon sat down across from his younger brother. He examined Cleo, who, judging by her reaction, apparently hadn't heard anything about last night. Confident again, he opened his mouth to ask where his plate was when Tistiny put a hand on his shoulder, stopping him.
 
She leaned close and whispered, “You are quite capable of getting your own plate if you're still hungry. You really do not want to stir up trouble this morning.” He snapped his month shut and sullenly sat down to watch, refusing to get anything on principle. Besides, he was miffed; Tistiny apparently knew he'd been in the kitchen for a snack in the early hours of the morning even though he'd been careful to clean up so no one would know. To add insult to injury, someone, and he knew exactly who, obviously had blabbed to Tistiny about Neri.
 
Alik started eating gingerly. Then as his stomach welcomed the food, he started eating quicker until Cleo placed a hand on his, earning an annoyed look from the boy.
 
“Slowly.” Cleo gently reminded with a smile. “I'll get you more if you want it.”
 
Alik nodded, and swallowed his latest mouthful. “So, what are we gonna do today? Are we gonna play?”
 
“No, we have to go to town and do some last minute shopping. Right after you finish breakfast.”
 
Alik groaned and stopped eating. “I don't feel so good anymore…” he said, starting a dodge while Devon snorted.
 
Not phased by either interruption, Cleo continued, “I'm sure Bagup might find something for you to do, if you don't want to go from store to store.”
 
Alik looked at her with questioning eyes, which fairly screamed `Like what?' Cleo answered the unasked question by adding, “I don't know exactly what, but he is very good at giving fun projects. I liked going to town with my mom when she went shopping because I'd end up at Bagup's and Majic's, and we always had fun. And the day always finished with a treat of our choice.”
 
“Don't want ice cream or sweets.”
 
“Really…never again?”
“Yes!” Alik exclaimed, then as he realized what he said added apprehensively, “Well… maybe not never…but…”
 
“It's okay. It's understandable, Alik, and there are other things you like that aren't sweets, like fresh baked bread.”
 
“Oh…” Alik said, “And he's always got bread going…'kay. I'm done.” Alik pushed the now empty plate away and stood up.
 
Devon had been silently watching the interplay between Cleo and Alik. He was inwardly shocked with the patience she was showing and privately admitting that she handled Alik just like their mother had, just like Tistiny did and just like he wished he could. `Now if only I could tell her. Not that she'd ever believe me because of our past, but someday. And I… well, I sure didn't help things last night.'
 
Devon was jerked out of his thoughts when he realized the objects of his attention were leaving. He heard Alik ask Cleo, “So where are the others? Aren't we all going?”
 
“If the stubborn sorcerers are too focused on being on their roof instead of eating or joining us then they'll just miss out. Besides, do you really think Orphen is going to want to follow me around while I shop? He's quite the expert at avoiding that. I remember…”
 
Cleo's voice was cut off as the door closed behind them. A quick glance around the room showed Devon that not only had Cleo and Alik left but so had Tistiny. Devon stood quickly and started to follow them but stopped, turned and grabbed a handful of bacon. Grinning at how much he liked the fact that the stupid sorcerers wouldn't be coming, he decided to do something better than following them: he decided to go through the kitchen and get the carriage ready, to make amends and leave the sorcerers behind.
 
_________________________________________________________________ __________________
 
In the entryway, Tistiny was telling Cleo and Mariabella, who'd just came downstairs after changing into traveling clothes, that she would stay here and that they should have a good time. “I'll be fine, girls. You know, sometimes I like peace and quiet.”
 
“But mother, it's a safety…”
 
“We made a mistake, dear. And we learned from it. Do you make the same mistake twice?”
 
“Well…although some may disagree,” Cleo muttered rolling her eyes upward, “not usually. But why do I think…”
 
Just then the front door opened and Devon entered. “The day's not getting any younger, ladies and gentleman. Your carriage awaits,“ he announced with a flourish and a wink, even though he'd interrupted Cleo. She and Mariabella rolled their eyes even as they accepted his offered escort.
 
“Go on and have a good time.” Tistiny said smiling, “I'll be fine and besides, I was going have some items brought down from the attic.”
 
“If you're sure, Mom?” Mariabella said, examining her mother and sensing that something wasn't right, although reassured by her smile.
 
As they were walking to the carriage, Cleo was watching the roof to see if she could see Orphen, Majic or even Hartia. She didn't really want to leave without one or all of them, but she really wanted to get the shopping finished so they could get the harder work started; packing, and having a full day for that would be important. Especially since she didn't know exactly how the packs would end up divided out. She grimaced, remembering that there'd been a slight shift from the agreement that she and Orphen had made. At her mother's insistence, they were going on horseback. `It isn't fair,' she thought, `Mother always wins. And I HATE horses. But it's still better than bouncing in the back of a wagon or carrying everything on our backs. And she'll feel better. Besides… I'll get to ride with Orphen. Oh, and he's going to be impossible to live with, thanks to my mom, he got his way and I won fair and square. Well, maybe not so fair… but I still won. Although riding with Orphen will annoy Devon to no end. I shouldn't take such pleasure in annoying him, but it's fun, it's…normal. Still I have to stop, he's part of this fight, too, and if we're all going to be a team at all... In some ways, traveling like this to the Tower will give us a chance to work together and maybe even be a team before we get there. I can't help but think it's going to take all of us working together to defeat him.'
 
While she was standing, searching the roof and thinking, Devon had gotten Mariabella and Alik into the carriage. “Cleo…wake up!” he called. “Are we going or standing here all day?”
 
She turned back, seeing that the others had settled in the carriage and Devon was waiting to give her a hand up. She glanced back over her shoulder before stepping up into the carriage, bypassing Devon's extended hand. “Devon,” she sighed, “I can do it myself.”
 
“Just trying to be a gentleman,” Devon groused to himself starting to get into the carriage. As Cleo sat down, she heard a bird's screech and caught a glimpse of movement over Devon's shoulder. She reached for her dagger even as Devon drew his own, turned and blocked a cup that had apparently come from the roof of the house.
 
“What the Hell?!?” Devon exclaimed, shaking droplets of liquid off him as he went to pick up the pieces of a coffee cup that had fallen to the ground after striking his dagger, shattering and giving him a second shower.
 
Cleo looked up at the roof and saw Orphen glowering down at them, or more specifically at Devon. She examined his face and realized that he was really angry about something. She could only assume something had happened to cause additional tension between them.
 
“What the hell do you think you're doing, you stupid sorcerer!?! I'm gonna kick your ass! Who do you think you are? Don't you know how dangerous that stunt was?” Devon was shouting up at the roof. Silently he wished for help in getting back at that whiney little brat who obviously couldn't keep his trap shut.
 
Grasping Devon's arm, Cleo tried to calm him down. “You don't know what happened, it could have been an accident.”
 
“Oh, bullshit!” Devon growled, yanking his arm out of her grasp. In a mutter more to himself than anyone else, “It's that blabbermouth's fault, always stirring up trouble for me. The gloves are off.” He finished continuing to glare at the roof, concentrating now.
 
“Devon! What are you babbling…” Cleo broke off when the shriek of a bird was heard.
 
Everyone looked up sharply seeing the falcon as it again, dive-bombed someone. Only this time it's target or targets were on the roof. They heard Majic shout a spell, that Cleo recognized as a shield spell followed by Orphen's shout of indignation. Then the words “Sword of Light” were yelled as the falcon sped away narrowly dodging the blast.
 
“Go Bird.” Devon growled, seemingly shaking himself out of a slight daze.
 
“Bird!?!” Alik cried, excitedly, “You mean your falcon?”
 
“Falcon!?!” Mariabella added in a near shriek, attracting the attention of the individuals on the roof in addition to everyone on the ground, “Your falcon, Devon?”
 
“Um… I had one as a kid yes.” Devon hedged as they were surrounded by three flashes of purple light heralding the arrival of the sorcerers via teleport.
 
“Is everyone alright?” Hartia asked. “We seemed to have had another …um fowl, …err falcon problem. Only this time…” Hartia continued suppressing a fit of giggles, “its target was Majic.”
 
Cleo looked at Majic to find him clean but looking sheepish. Puzzled, she continued looking around until her eyes rested on Orphen who had something whitish in his hair and on his back. Seeing her look, Hartia added the punch line. “Having good reflexes, Majic shielded. And while praising him for that, Orphen didn't watch where the … um residue on the shield was going…
 
“Hartia,” Orphen ground out.
 
“Okay…um, well… Cleo, Mariabella, interesting wildlife you have around here,” Hartia continued, trying to broach the topic another way.
 
“Drop it,” Orphen hissed menacingly.
 
“Oh, no,” said Mariabella. “I think I understand. And it's just fine by me, since I can't fry the bird; I'm going to fricassee the owner.”
 
“Only after he explains, Mariabella.” Cleo interjected. Suppressing a grin at seeing her sister so off-balance and irate, she inquired, “What did you mean, Alik?”
 
“Bird…she's Devon's familiar. Dad said so.”
 
“I don't need that useless animal to help me,” Devon cut in.
 
“But Devon, Dad said…”
 
“Who's the Alpha now, Alik? Who do you listen to? Me, that's who and I said leave it alone. I don't need her or any other useless animal. I wish she'd stop trying to help. She just gets in the way, I never wanted…”
 
Before Devon could continue, Mariabella stepped to Devon and started poking him on the chest. “So that's your bird, Devon. Yours?!?” She punctuated each word with a poke in the chest. “That is the same bird that… that… crapped on me yesterday. Nice trick. A trick that's going to cost you…”
 
“Mariabella, calm down.” Devon stammered interrupting her rant, “I-I didn't expect her to… um…”
 
“Shit on me. Is that what you're trying to say?” Mariabella asked in a dangerous tone of voice. “So what did you expect her to do?”
 
“Um…Um…” Devon started as he began to realize how precarious his situation was. He hadn't been specific that time when he'd inadvertently summoned her. “I-I didn't mean for her to do anything… I was just mad… and she…um reacted.”
 
“And today?” a voice from behind Devon growled.
 
“Today, I was specific. You weren't the target, Mariabella,” Devon replied without really thinking.
 
“Really? So who was?” the same voice from behind Devon growled again.
 
Realizing Mariabella hadn't asked the last two questions, Devon paused, “Shit!”
 
“Ewww…that's right.” Cleo said, “Oh…man. Orphen get your jacket off, it's on that too and we need to clean it,” she added in the hopes that she could distract Orphen before he; understandably, beat the crap out of Devon. Besides, personally, she'd rather see Devon get it at the hands of Mariabella.
 
“Well…he showered me with coffee so we're even…besides, he wasn't the target. The whiney brat was.”
 
“Cleo?” Hartia asked quietly, thinking she was the only one who was typically called a brat. “But she wasn't up there.”
 
“No, not her. Her shadow,” Devon ground out, turning to glare at Majic.
 
“What? Why?” Cleo said, confused, “Okay, there's more going on here then everyone's letting on. What is it? Someone start talking.”
 
“Nothing.” Devon growled, glaring at Majic. “We'll discuss it later, Cleo. Don't we have business in town today?”
 
“That's true but we're not finished. I want to…”
 
“Cleo, they really cannot go into town like that. Let them go get cleaned up. You know full well that there is a lot to be done today, and you're already running behind schedule. Do you really have time for this now?” Tistiny interrupted the building confrontation, having been attracted by the sounds of shouting and the fact that the carriage had not left. “I would suggest that you and the others continue on while Devon and Orphen clean up. Then they can catch up on horseback. You should be able to meet up easily at Bagup's tavern.”
 
Orphen glared at Devon promising retribution, as he slowly turned and started walking back to the house. Devon, under Tistiny's glare, followed him inside. Once the door was shut, he hurried to catch up to Orphen to ask a question.
 
“So, since the brat blabbed, are you going to tell her?”
 
“Maybe.”
 
“Maybe…that's no answer.”
 
Instead of replying, Orphen simply attempted to ignore Devon.
 
“Damn it!” Devon shouted, reaching out to grab Orphen's shoulder to turn him around.
 
He'd barely touched Orphen when he found himself pinned to the wall.
 
“Listen you little shit! I've had enough of you. We're allies by necessity, but that's it. You've proved that we can… no, will never trust you. Now stop bothering me.” Orphen dropped Devon to the ground, turned and kept going to his room.
 
Watching him leave, Devon couldn't help but feel that maybe he'd really made a big mistake and hurt his family in the process.
 
_________________________________________________________________ __________________
 
The ride to Bagup's proved to be as quiet as it was uneventful. Although Hartia was fairly burning with questions to ask Alik about familiars, he knew that if they discussed that without Orphen there'd be hell to pay. Hartia was realizing that they hadn't asked much about the connection between the Familiar and the Hunter when they were in discussion with the Wolven. A gap he hoped to fill in as soon as possible. He also remembered why it was so unusually quiet in the carriage.
 
//Flashback//
 
Just after the carriage pulled away from the Everlasting house, Cleo turned to Majic. “All right Majic, what happened up there? Orphen doesn't throw coffee away for no reason.”
 
“Well… I…”
 
“Cleo,” Hartia interjected, “we aren't discussing this now.”
 
“No… No secrets. Why what's so bad? What happened?”
 
“Nothing bad happened, but it's also something we don't need to discuss. Especially not right now.” Hartia said, with a glance towards Alik.
 
Alik groaned. “Why does everyone think I can't understand anything!?! This is about Neri rubbing herself up against Devon yesterday, isn't it?”
 
“Wait a minute. Neri was back in town?” Cleo ground out, looking over at Majic who blushed and looked away, giving her the answer. “And they…”
 
“We don't want to continue this now.” Hartia replied inwardly, grimacing at the teaching tone he used.
 
“No. I want to know, what happened? Why was…”
 
“Stop It! We aren't continuing this, Cleo.”
 
“But…”
 
“No… Now, shut up.” He glared at Cleo and she glared back. She opened her mouth to say something else. “Not another word. You want to know? Ask Krylancelo.”
 
//End Flashback//
 
And she'd followed his order to the letter; she hadn't said a word to anyone since. Majic and Alik both tried, Mariabella just looked sadly at her and to Hartia's surprise, he missed it, all of it; the chatting between Mariabella and Cleo, her explanations to Alik and even her browbeating Majic. He sighed, and decided he'd better try as they were getting out of the carriage. Mariabella, Majic and Alik hurried into the tavern to escape the tension.
 
“Cleo, I'm sorry, I snapped.” Hartia apologized, placing a hand out for her use as she stepped out of the carriage, “ I`m serious though; this isn't a topic open for discussion right now, especially in front of Alik. I'll explain to Krylancelo when he gets here that we need to talk about it. Um… that, well… I can't really say more.”
 
“I know Devon's habits better than most, Hartia. You don't have to say anything else. Although, it would have been nice to have been trusted,” Cleo replied, looking sadly at Majic, who had stopped at the doorway to wait for them and winced at her words, before turning her gaze back on Hartia.
 
“Don't look at me like that, that's not fair. I just found out this morning from…” Hartia stopped, frowning angry with himself for falling for the bait. “I said later.” As he remembered, they'd talked about whether to tell her or not and Krylancelo had been adamant: they weren't going to tell her. Now, he had to admit, he'd let the cat out of the bag so to speak.
 
“At least it wasn't long, but Hartia… I got the secrets lecture from Orphen and I'm not above giving that speech right back.”
 
Hartia blanched, remembering there was another secret that he was keeping at the behest of another. A secret he didn't want to keep. `Hell, I don't like keeping any secrets, however living at the Tower taught me how to keep them. Still, this one is going to come back and bite me in the ass. And yet do I break the trust that has been given me? Which is for the best?' He mused over the questions he'd been asking himself for over a week. Finally he replied, “And it's justified. We'll discuss it tonight. That's a promise.”
 
“That's fine.” Cleo said, smiling at him again and putting a hand on his shoulder as she passed him to go into the tavern. “Thank you. I know I was pushing; however you forget that I know his habits better than most. I'd like to be sure I have my facts straight before I kick his…” Cleo glanced towards where Alik was just inside the doorway and revised her words, “butt.”
 
“Um…anytime,” Hartia said sheepishly watching as she walked up to her sister and re-started their chatting like nothing had happened. `Her changes in moods never cease to amaze me. I can certainly understand why Krylancelo always watched her, even before they admitted their feelings.' He took a step to follow them in when he almost jumped out of his skin when someone put a hand on his shoulder.
 
“Why so jumpy, Hartia?” Orphen asked.
 
“That was quick…” Hartia paused noticing, Orphen's wet hair and lack of horse, “You `ported didn't you?” After Orphen nodded, Hartia continued, “Well, as you know, it's been a long day already. We're going to need to talk to Cleo later.”
 
“Why? What was discussed?” Orphen had been watching Cleo and Mariabella, before he shifted his focus back to Hartia.
 
“Cleo rounded on me to find out what the flying coffee cup was about,” Hartia replied accusingly. “While I was trying to change off that subject, Alik mentioned Neri meeting up with Devon… or more accurately, he mentioned Neri rubbing herself against Devon after I tried to divert the topic. The kid's either really sharp or he knows his brother's habits too well.”
 
“Probably a bit of both. I didn't want her told, but I guess we're stuck.” Orphen muttered, shrugging.
 
“Well, we have a couple of appointments to make, Krylancelo,” Hartia reminded him.
 
“We do indeed,” Orphen replied, seeing Cleo look across the tavern at him with an expectant expression. He sighed, nodded and signaled that he had to take care of their shopping chores. She nodded back, smiled and waved him off before returning to her discussion with Mariabella. `Probably planning the assault on the shop-keeps' he thought laughing inwardly.
 
He and Hartia departed, nodding to Doc Hale who was entering the tavern as they left, heading to their appointments; the livery, the weapons shop and lastly the jewelry store.
 
Cleo watched Orphen and Hartia leave, reassured from the look that Orphen gave her that they would talk later, although she suspected she knew what happened. She turned her attention back to Mariabella and the shopping list. They were dividing it up by stores so they could get through each of them quickly. Alik had already thrown himself into helping in the tavern with Majic.
 
Cleo was concentrating on the list when a shadow fell over the papers. She looked up to see Doc Hale. “Good Morning, Doc.”
 
“Good morning Cleo. It's a good thing I ran into you. I had a cancellation this morning so since you and Alik are here in town, there's no time like the present for your final check up. Although seeing you yesterday at the festival, I don't see any reason you shouldn't get a clean bill of health.”
 
“Really? But we had a lot of things…”
 
“Cleo,” Mariabella interjected, “take advantage of the appointment. You were already worrying about having enough time tomorrow so this will work out well. I'll go talk to the grocer to get started on the food supplies. That way we're taking care of two things at once.”
 
“Fine. Mom said she wanted to be there, but you're right. This would save time.” She stood and called out to Alik. “Come on, we are going to see Doc Hale.”
 
“Why? He's right there.” Alik questioned.
 
Majic followed Alik asking, “Why, is something wrong?”
 
“Do you not feel good?” Alik inquired worriedly.
 
“Oh good grief, you two, did you forget?” Cleo said, shaking her head in exasperation, “Who were we going to see anyway tomorrow?”
 
“Doc Hale.” Alik and Majic said together, relieved and embarrassed all at once.
 
Doc Hale started laughing, “Still such a worry wart over her.”
 
“Well… I come by it honestly. Don't I?”
 
“Majic!” Cleo said indignantly glaring at Majic and Mariabella, who started giggling at Majic's teasing.
 
“That's quite true. So let's get this show on the road. Come on, children.” Doc said as he led the way.
 
Majic whispered to Cleo, letting her know he'd meet her there as soon as he could. He turned back into the tavern and hurried up to his father. “Dad, Cleo and Alik are going for their check-up. We'll be back in a bout an hour or so.”
 
As Majic turned to leave, Bagup stopped him. “Just a moment, I don't know if you heard but Neri's back in town.”
 
“Trust me Dad. I know,” Majic gritted out tensely.
 
After examining his face a moment, Bagup continued, “Oh, she took up with Devon again didn't she?”
 
“Dad… I just don't understand what she sees in him. Devon's…”
 
“One might ask what he sees in her.”
 
“I suppose that's true. I just don't understand it.”
 
“You wouldn't, or do we need to have the talk about the differences again?”
 
“No.” Majic said blushing, remembering his father trying to explain the differences between casual sex and making love. It was a difference it took meeting and getting close to Erris for him to finally understand…especially when he compared it to some of his own experiences while traveling. He was pulled out of his thoughts by his father's chuckle.
 
“So, your master finally found his girl and you found one for yourself. So …who is she? And when will I get to meet her.”
 
Majic blushed again. “Am I that transparent?”
 
“No. Well… only to those of us who know you well. So…” Bagup left off leadingly.
 
“I haven't seen her in months and I… still, but wait a minute Dad, you've seen her. Remember Hartia's apprentice?”
 
“Ah…I'd guessed as much… the shy little blonde who looks like your mother and spent most of the time hiding behind her master. I guessed it might be her, but I also knew better than to assume or interfere. So you're looking forward to the trip back to the Tower, aren't you?”
 
“Being at the Tower, yes. It's the trip that worries me.” Majic admitted.
 
“It would, you and your mother. You always worry.”
 
“Oh…something else I worry about. Why? Why ownership? It's your tavern.”
 
“It's time. I made no secret of the fact that it was always my intention.”
 
“But, why now? And besides, I'm a sorcerer. That's my path. I won't be here to run the place. You could sell it and retire, travel or just relax.”
 
“This is relaxing for me and my choice. I haven't interfered with your choices. Legally the tavern is and will always be yours. And I'll run it until you feel the need to replace me or I join your mother and brother.”
 
“Dad don't talk like that. If I lost you…”
 
“You'd grieve a little for your old man but you'd go on. Hopefully with a good girl by your side, a pair of over protective sister types, and a lot of good friends and teachers.”
 
“Dad, I can't deal with this right now.”
 
“And you won't have to… for a while anyway, since I don't have any intention of willingly leaving you or your… well, our extended family. Now don't you have somewhere you have to be…?”
 
“Oh crap, yes. I need to find Master and let him know… about the appointment and now…where were he and Hartia going. Oh yeah… the livery was their first stop…” Majic was muttering as he hurried out.
 
“Majic!” Bagup called, “Go to Doc's. You'd do better getting a full report for your Master, then having both of you miss it while you're chasing him down.”
 
Majic looked back gratefully at his dad, he realized he was right. He knew Orphen and Hartia, they'd get the errands done as quickly as possible and disappear so they wouldn't get new assignments. `I'll track them down after the appointment.' Majic thought as he waived to his father and hurried after Cleo.
 
_________________________________________________________________ __________________
 
A couple of hours later, Hartia and Orphen entered the jeweler's shop after successfully finalizing the arrangements for the horses and Orphen carefully selecting a pair of new daggers; one for Cleo and one for Alik. They were continuing the conversation they'd started outside. “… like I said earlier, I didn't expect Alik to just blurt out what he did.”
 
“I said I understood, all this apologizing bespeaks of a guilty conscience, Hartia. What are you hiding?”
 
“Um… nothing. I told you what happened while you were cleaning up.”
 
“Ah…good morning, gentlemen. It's about time you showed up,” said the jeweler, interrupting their conversation. “So… Hartia was it, are you here to replace another necklace for Tistiny or pick up the rings from yesterday?”
 
“Necklace?” Orphen questioned, looking over at Hartia, who had a guilty look on his face.
 
“Yes,” the jeweler replied. “Your friend was pretty frantic a week ago when he came in to replace Tistiny's necklace.”
 
“A week ago?” Orphen asked the jeweler while watching Hartia, who blanched and looked even guiltier then Orphen thought was possible. Orphen was vaguely aware of a bell jingling, indicating someone had entered the shop and the shopkeeper waving in greeting, even as he focused on Hartia. “Hartia, what aren't you telling me?”
 
“Um… she lost it and…” Hartia hedged, playing up the guilty look while suppressing a smile. `This may work after all.'
 
“Now, that isn't what you said last week; you said Mrs. Tistiny had it stolen and wanted to get a replacement before it was noticed,” the shopkeeper interjected, confused.
 
“Um… uh… could you excuse us? Please continue to hold the rings for us,” Hartia said, wincing under Orphen's glare, but inwardly cheering. “I think we're about to have a long talk.”
 
“You're damn right we are!” Orphen growled.
 
“Yeah… I agree,” came Majic's annoyed voice after Orphen's growl.
 
“Great… Majic, too.” Hartia half-heartedly groused, “What are you doing here? Oh…never mind, let's just go sit down at the café across the way. This could take a bit.”
 
“Is this something we need to worry about stray ears?” Orphen asked.
 
“Yeah probably…so where then? The usual?” Hartia said with a rueful grin looking upwards.
 
“That or there's a field just outside of town that has a clear view for any intruders. I think you should remember it. You've …um… fought there before,” Majic suggested.
 
“That'll work. The field. Now.” Orphen snarled, leaving the shop.
 
“Great. I get to get my ass kicked there again. Only this time, in a way… I deserve it.” Hartia whined, following Orphen.
 
“Do you really Master Hartia?” Majic said suspiciously, falling in step next to Hartia. “It seems you gave up the secret awfully easily.”
 
“Why, Majic, whatever do you mean?” Hartia replied as they exited the jewelry shop.
 

 
Once they arrived in the clearing, Orphen turned around looking at Hartia expectantly.
 
“I suspect you already figured out most of what happened while we were on our way.”
 
“I want to hear the truth directly from you. I want to know why you kept it secret.”
 
Hartia sighed before answering, “In a word, Tistiny. She was worried about how everyone would react after Garik's vandalism was found.”
 
“You mean…” Majic said shocked.
 
“Yes, when Garik vandalized the bed, he also stole Tistiny's necklace.” Hartia paced away, shaking a bit at the memory, “Stole it from around her neck, while she was cooking in the kitchen.”
 
“Son of a bitch!” Orphen exclaimed. “What in the hell were you thinking keeping that secret?!? Damnit all to hell! That could be a weapon, think about what that would do if…”
 
“Don't you think I know that Krylancelo!” Hartia fired back, “I talked to Tistiny, I damn near begged her to tell at least you. If not then, then before we left, but she is adamant. Even though she's torn up about it, she still refuses to jeopardize Cleo's recovery or yours.”
 
“Mine?”
 
“Oh come on, don't lie to yourself or us. You… hell, we all were traumatized by what happened, before and after her return,” Hartia pointed out.
 
Majic shuddered at the memories, wanting to add something to the conversation, but unable to find his voice.
 
“Tistiny was both right and wrong. Her heart is in the right place; she didn't want to add to our worries. Even as I suspect she doesn't fully understand this foe, none of us do, yet. You're no fool Krylancelo, you know I arranged this so you could find out in a way I wouldn't technically be breaking my word to her.”
 
Orphen looked at Majic and at Hartia and snapped out, “I'm getting fucking tired of repeating myself. Secrets. Will. Get. Us. Killed. Why can't everyone realize that? We are dealing with a master manipulator. He has spies watching us, if he isn't scrying on us himself. We know he wants Cleo back, the other Hunters out of the way and his army gathered. Beyond those immediate goals, we don't know shit!”
 
“Calm down, Krylancelo!” Hartia urged, “You're right, there's a lot we don't know and we won't find out if we keep talking at cross purposes. Protecting and stifling is a delicate balance and we're still working on finding that. Now, it's obvious that we need information and we need it now. Our best research source is the Tower, I know it's risky, but we can't chance walking. We will have to Teleport there. Azalie and Tish can help…”
 
“No.” Orphen interrupted.
 
“Why?” Majic and Hartia chorused. Majic continued, hesitantly, “I know I can't do that distance yet, but if Hartia goes for Azalie and Tish, that's four people who can take a passenger.”
 
“He's right, that'll solve the problem. I know Azalie and Tish won't mind.”
 
“No.” Orphen said, looking away.
 
Watching Orphen closely, Hartia's eyes widened in a sudden realization, “Crap, after that speech, there's something you're hiding. Spill it.”
 
“I'm not positive and I'm not taking any chances.”
 
“That's a double standard, Krylancelo. It's okay for you to keep secrets but not us! Bullshit! Now you're the one putting the knife in Garik's hand!”
 
“Damn it, Hartia, you don't understand. Hell, I don't. I'm not even positive!”
 
“Then, explain it so we can figure it out, together.”
 
“I wanted more information first!”
 
“It's… it's the resistance isn't it?” Majic said quietly.
 
What?!?” Hartia cried, focusing on Majic.
 
Before answering, Orphen glared at Majic. “I believe so, but I don't know for sure.”
 
“I think you're right, Master. When I teleported Alik across the clearing, I was absolutely and utterly drained. I …err… um… crap, I know this is going to get me in trouble, but I did it again when Alik and I were playing hide and seek from Cleo yesterday before the festival. That's ultimately why she caught up to us so quickly, I wasn't up to running after that… that and Leki. Now that she can communicate with the little traitor…” Majic groused, suddenly realizing he had witnesses to his digression, “Um… Leki gave up our hiding place.”
 
“Where?” Orphen asked glaring.
 
“Um…” Majic started fidgeting under both his Masters glares, “I was going to hide at the lake or an old tree house that Cleo and I made but…um… given the situation, I opted for the attic.”
 
“Looks like you need to come up with new tricks. Wolven proof ones.” Hartia quipped before turning serious, “But that isn't good news. If teleporting weakened you with Alik… that could be something else, I'll bet that if Krylancelo and I did it would…
 
“No. Sorcerer skill level makes no difference,” Orphen replied.
 
“What?!? But I saw you!”
 
“And you missed me almost falling out because I covered it. I was wiped out each time.”
 
“Each time? Let me think, and this is only what I know of, you `ported them from the cave, you `ported her up to her room and you ported her out of the spell ricochet. Just when were you planning on mentioning anything to us!!”
 
“I said I wasn't sure. And damn it! I wasn't going to jump to conclusions.”
 
“What did you say moments ago? Secrets will get us all killed. That applies to you, too. Conclusive or not, we needed to know. Think about what might have happened if I'd have had to `port Cleo or Alik or even Devon away in the middle of a battle. I'd have been completely wiped and unable to help if needed. I don't even want to think about what might happen.”
 
“Masters, you're both right. But fighting won't help and… and considering we could be…well, are being watched and spied on… wouldn't this be something he wants.”
 
“You're right and we know Majic.” Hartia answered, sighing, “And in spite of all the harsh words, we are getting a lot resolved. We're a…” Hartia paused, searching for the right word, “reserved group, which makes us perfect targets.”
 
“But we're not all here…” Maijic added, grimacing because he knew this wouldn't go over well. “We're still separated. Cleo's not here and although we may not trust Devon, especially after yesterday, he should be…”
 
“No.” Orphen ground out.
 
“Majic's right. Even in what Majic told us, Devon was right, there were people, and a Wolven, to watch over Alik. We've left Alik alone before with non-magical friends and family, with a Wolven watching over them, too. Just because he has poor judgment, we still need to include and even trust him. How would we feel if we continued to shun him and found out later it was set up and Garik was manipulating us again?” Hartia concluded.
 
Majic's eyes widened in shock as he remembered something.
 
“I don't like it and I don't like him.” Orphen ground out, “I will not…”
 
“Oh No! No! It can't be…” Majic cried out frantically before turning to Orphen. “Did Cleo show any signs of Garik being in the area yesterday?”
 
“No.” Orphen answered even as Majic continued.
 
“No earaches or headaches?”
 
“She said she had an itch or tingling in her ear shortly before the dance. She was excited, you know how she gets. What are you getting at, Majic?”
 
“Damn it! Hartia guessed right.” Majic cried throwing his hands up in a gesture of frustration, “I passed it off as fireworks or something, but I remember after Neri left,” Majic paused taking a deep breath, before harshly adding, “there was a purple flash.”
 
“Damn it Majic! How could you not…” Orphen started.
 
“Stop it. I would have done the same thing with my back to the `port with a fair going on nearby, and passed it off as something other than magic..."  Hartia paused a moment, holding his hand up to stop Orphen who was inhaling to interject, "Especially if I hadn't learned how to sense when the spells are being used nearby.  That's highly advanced magic and frankly, Majic's not ready...and you shouldn't know it either, but apparently you taught yourself, Krylancelo.  That is what you were about to interrupt me with, isn't it?”
 
“Yes,” Orphen grumbled, “And that will be a lesson for the road.” Inwardly, Orphen thought he needed to sit down and discuss further lesson plans with Hartia, since they seemed to be sharing his mastery over Majic now.
 
"Don't take this wrong, Majic,” Hartia said gently before rounding on Orphen, “Krylancelo, that's really, really advanced...I didn't learn it until I was twenty and that was considered early, are you sure?  That also takes a lot of concentration. Besides, why did you wait on the teleporting?”
 
"Point.  But it's top of the agenda for lessons when we get to the Tower.  He can do it."
 
"Okay...he's your apprentice.  Any more secrets that need to be aired?”
 
"No."  Orphen replied even as he noticed, Majic shuffling his feet a bit. Seeing the body language proclaiming that there was more, Orphen prompted, “Majic?”
 
"Um...” Majic said tentatively, even as he was quickly thinking of a dodge, he didn't want to discuss his secret, sharing with Tistiny had been hard enough. Besides, he had the strongest feeling that mentioning this now would be bad and Tistiny had agreed. Quickly, he latched on to something the shopkeeper had said. “The jeweler mentioned rings?  What was that about, Master Hartia?"
 
"Hey...that's not something that Garik can use... and..." It was Hartia's turn to hedge.
 
"But it's still a secret, what was the line?"
 
"This is a surprise, not a secret.  Don't be using that on us," Hartia groused, adding, “Smart apprentices can be such a pain.”
 
"Us?"  Majic latching onto Hartia's slip of the tongue, then looking over at Orphen, who was now glaring intensely at Hartia.
 
“I think we should discuss that with the ladies before we say anything else. Don't you think, Majic?” Orphen said, in attempt to shut down this line of discussion.
 
“I just wanted to make sure. I mean, um…after all the closest semblance to a father they have is my dad…or Doc. Isn't it like traditional to have the…”
 
“They're old enough, we don't have to ask permission from their father or surrogate fathers,” Hartia explained. “Besides, if you haven't noticed, we kind of have Tistiny's approval. But, speaking for myself, I'm not ready yet. I'm picking up the rings because they're perfect and so I'll have them when the time is right. I don't know about Krylancelo.”
 
“That sums it up and your dodge didn't work, Majic.” Orphen cut in, “Now are you going to spill the secret you're hedging about or are we going to continue to waste time? I was thinking training might be a good activity for this afternoon. The sooner we finish the sooner I can beat the crap out of you both for keeping secrets in the first place.” Hartia started to interject with a smart remark, but was silenced with a glare from Orphen because this was serious.
 
Majic had been thinking while the discussion was going on and remembered something he would mention, "It's not really a secret since we've all figured it out but... We know.  Cleo and I know... we figured it out.  About...the caravan and... Azalie, err… No, not Azalie, but the Bloody August." 
 
Hartia gasped, but kept quiet, watching as Orphen paled before whispering, “When did...?”
 
"I can't speak for exactly when on Cleo, but I ... well, after the first encounter with Azalie, I-I suspected but it wasn't until...until you gave your story on the island that I knew for sure.  That's... that's why only Cleo came to comfort you... I-I was in shock.  I-I knew, but I didn't want to react... I didn't want you to know... you were already carrying so much weight and worry.  I didn't want to add to it.  Even afterwards... as more of what happened came out... I realized that Azalie was like a wild animal at the time... it wasn't anyone's fault, it was… was just a horrible accident..."  Majic broke off unable to continue and hung his head. "Can... can we talk about something else?" 
 
Hartia moved between Orphen and Majic and placed a hand on each of their shoulders, "Krylancelo, you chose well in your apprentice and friend. I must admit that this was a case where some things are better left unsaid." Hartia shook his head taking in the tension in their shoulders, “But it is one less thing that can come out and shake us up at the wrong time. Garik would have loved to use this against us."
 
"But…” Majic said looking up at Hartia, “This news wasn't really a surprise to anyone; even you seem to have known Master Hartia. The news about the Bloody August wouldn't have worked, even if we hadn't discussed it, we all knew...well, except Azalie."
 
Having taken the few moments while Hartia and Majic were talking, Orphen responded by nodding, stepping away from them before quickly turning to throw a punch at Majic. The punch actually stopped an inch from Majic's face and Majic realized that he didn't see it coming. He was too distracted and if Orphen hadn't stopped the punch, he would have been decked. “One second, that's all he'd need. While you recovered, Cleo and possibly Alik are gone.”
 
“He's right, we have to be vigilant we cannot afford any more mistakes. We have been extremely lucky so far, and we cannot count on that lasting forever, especially since we're about to be on the road and in the open.”
 
“We're going to be attacked on the road, aren't we?” Majic said watching the expressions on his Masters faces, “And that was statement of the obvious…wasn't it?”
 
Nodding, Orphen said, “So, I think some combat training is definitely in order.” Orphen moved away as Majic became aware that he was quite suddenly standing alone and with Hartia and Orphen about ten feet away.
 
“Hope your shield spells are strong enough, apprentice. Lightning Flash!” Hartia chanted, sending a spell at Majic who barely got his shield up in time as the training session got under way.
 
_________________________________________________________________ __________________
 
Cleo dropped in the chair at the café in the center of the town and Leki immediately settled in her lap after she and her three companions were seated. She and Mariabella had completed the first half of the list, in spite of Devon's presence and Alik's impatience. It was lunch and they were only half done, and the easy half to boot. `It's so damn distracting having Devon along. I guess I can see why Orphen gets so frustrated with me when I'm window shopping.'
 
Cleo stretched, and muttered more to herself than anyone else. “We're never gonna get this finished.” Adding in a thought, `especially since Devon is in his guilt mode, he's buying Alik things all over the place and has tried to buy me stuff. Orphen would faint in shock if he knew I'd refused.'
 
“You know, Devon,” Mariabella's words interrupted Cleo's thinking, “It's been such a help having you and Alik along for the stocking of supplies. We'd have never been able to get as much done if you two hadn't been so willing to come along and…”
 
BANG! BOOM!
 
Everyone in town froze looking towards one of the fields that was suddenly engulfed in black and bluish smoke. Sparks of colored lights showing from inside the cloudbank.
 
Mariabella looked over at Cleo, examining her face for signs of alarm or worry and only found amusement. “Cleo?”
 
“Boys! Or more accurately, sorcerers. They've decided they need to practice and test Majic's shield abilities,” Cleo answered, looking towards the smoke, missing the faint look of glee in Devon's eyes at the prospect of Majic being the target. Cleo scratched Leki's head before continuing, “From the description I just received, this practice consists of trying to blow the heck out of each other, especially Majic.”
 
“Cool! Can we go?!?” Alik exclaimed.
 
“I've got too much to do, Alik.” Cleo responded, “I'm sure they'll train like that again so hopefully, you'll get a chance another time.”
 
“Oh man… um… Please.” Alik tried turning on the puppy eyes on Cleo.
 
“No, we can't go out there and get distracted, we have to have all the shopping done today so we can pack tomorrow.”
 
“I want to see,” Alik stated, preparing to dig his heels in; he wanted to see and he intended to. Fortunately, someone else made it easy for him.
 
“Cleo, jeez…” Devon stopped, hearing his tone and realizing he was still on dangerous ground, especially after yesterday. As much as he wanted to watch Majic get his ass blown off, this was the perfect opportunity to get some alone time with Cleo; no Majic, no Alik, no Mariabella and most especially no tall brooding sorcerer named Orphen. Since Cleo was being cool towards him he figured someone blabbed, which meant he'd likely have to act all sorry and pitiful. Something he wasn't about to do in front of anyone. He thought, `but how to…? That's it.' Out loud, he suggested, “How about this for a compromise? He's bored, so why doesn't Mariabella take him and I'll help you finish the errands?”
 
Inwardly, Cleo flinched; right now the last thing she wanted to be was alone with Devon. All she wanted to do was scream at him for being so stupid last night. She was gearing up to blast Devon when she felt Mariabella's hand on her knee under the table.
 
“Devon, you do realize that most of the rest of the supplies involve buying clothes and you know how picky Cleo can be. That and I did have a few other errands mother asked me to do. If I'm taking Alik out to the field, then you'll need to help Cleo with those.” She reached into her purse and handed Devon a list. “The list includes picking up some of Mom's favorite perfume, a batch of blueberries from the grocer, and a few other things.”
 
Devon scanned the list, blushed, gulped and handed the list back to Mariabella. “On second thought, I'll take Alik. Besides, I have a feeling this will be a show we won't want to miss.”
 
“I bet it's gonna be cool,” Alik said to Devon as they stood and walked towards the explosions.
 
Once they were out of earshot, Cleo asked, “What's on that list? I don't remember Mom saying anything about perfume and we already got the blueberries.”
 
“She didn't. But I was going to take this opportunity to pick up her birthday present and get her some perfume, you know like Dad always did.”
 
“So that was a planned Devon dodge.”
 
Mariabella just grinned, and handed the list to Cleo. While she was giggling over the content, Mariabella continued, “It turned out to be a bit of revenge on him, although it was planned as something else. Besides, we're actually finished. While you were in with Doc Hale, I arranged for everything to be sent up to the house tonight, including Alik's traveling clothes, both pairs of new boots, two new pairs of jeans for you, four warm shirts, the cloaks, toiletries and the fresh loaf of cinnamon bread Alik earned at Bagup's. So even though I let you think that we still had a busy afternoon to go, we're actually quite finished. Except for any fun shopping we want to do.”
 
“Mariabella, that is the single most dangerous phrase you could say.”
 
“Isn't it though? Do we raid the stores or maybe get our hair and nails done? A little pampering before you hit the trail?”
 
“Sounds like fun.” Cleo replied, before she remembered, “I know how Orphen dodges chores, do you think he and Hartia finished…”
 
“Don't worry about that, remember Doc said they'd been seen at the Livery. Besides, if they didn't, you'll get to shout at Orphen about it. And unless I miss my guess, you have as much fun with that as he does.” Cleo blushed at her sister's perception, knowing that on many levels she was exactly right. Remembering hearing similar `discussions' between their parents, only served as another reminder about how much she missed her Dad. The day the news of his death was the darkest she'd ever experienced, it even overshadowed the fun she'd had at being back from boarding school and the fall… “Oh crap! Mariabella what day it is?”
 
“The 19th. Why?”

“Now I know why Mother was so quiet this morning. Remember.”
 
“I guess we're going home. I can't believe I, well…we forgot. It suppose it's even better that we're finished, but you know she doesn't want us to mourn.”
 
“I know and we aren't. In a way, we're respecting Dad's wishes. He didn't want us to mourn on this day, just to remember him by being together. Or at least that's what he said on his deathbed.”
 
“Although your timing's off, you're right. So is that why you always arranged to be back here for the Fall Festival? Not because you particularly looked forward to the festival, but so you'd be in Totokonta.”
 
Cleo gave Mariabella a look that said volumes, before looking away and whispering, “A bit of both.”
 
Mariabella nodded as they both stood. They walked to the carriage and stood together looking at it, neither wanting to drive. “I'd prefer to walk back rather then deal with the horse,” Cleo said.
 
“And I've never been good at driving. That is one problem with not having Devon or any of the others around. Let's just walk, that'll give us some more time to talk.”
 
“True. Shall we?”
 
Once they got outside of town, they could see the area where the `training' was taking place. Seeing that Cleo was watching the dust and smoke intently, Mariabella asked, “Are you sure you don't want to go watch? It's not that far.”
 
“No, I want the time with Mom. Besides, they only just restarted after Devon and Alik arrived. I don't want to interrupt again. Especially since, according to Leki, they really seem to be having fun and no fighting like this morning. They're acting like a pack.” Cleo blushed when she realized what she said, and revised, “Err… families or partners.”
 
“Partners…Devon and Orphen?” Mariabella questioned; then laughed.
 
_________________________________________________________________ __________________
 
“They're training?!?!” Garik roared, watching his scrying orb. Images in the orb flashed showing Orphen, Hartia, and Majic casting offensive and defensive spells at each other and at Devon. At initial glance, it might have looked like haphazard movements but there was also an organization that bespoke of testing each other's strength and weaknesses. This organization could not be allowed to continue. They were training, training together, and trusting each other.
 
“Boy, are they blasting him. Looks like it worked,” Neri's voice came from behind Garik.
 
Without looking at her, Garik reached out and grabbed her neck lifting her up off the ground. Before he spoke, he focused his gaze into her eyes, smirking when she shuddered. “Bitch, that's not fighting, that's not anger, that's training. They're working together. What was your assignment? Now tell me why I should let you live?”
 
Neri was struggling against his grip on her neck before she realized it was futile and choked out, “I-I have other information…” Garik lessened his grip on her neck to allow her to speak, but did not release her or put her down. “They are leaving Totokonta for the Tower of Fang the day after tomorrow. They're starting out on horseback and I-I arranged for their saddles to fail. It should take about three hours, two if they're riding at a gallop and Cleo's terrified of horses.”
 
“She is?” Garik said, releasing Neri and dropping her in a heap to the ground. “That is useful. You live for another day, besides; I can't dispose of you yet. Shigan, get this out of my sight. Take her away, I don't care where as long as she's available for use later.”
 
“Agan, my lord?”
 
“Yes…put her into his care.”
_________________________________________________________________ __________________
 
Cleo was pacing in the entryway of the mansion, alternately looking out the window and cursing about insensitive, lazy sorcerers. Mariabella was still watching over her sister, even though Tistiny had given up, trying to calm Cleo down and gone to the kitchen to arrange a late dinner.
 
“Cleo, surely you can relay a message to them? Why won't you just ask them to come home for dinner?” Mariabella attempted once more to calm Cleo down, thinking, `She's so like Dad. Usually just before big trips, he'd get irritable like this.'
 
“They're almost here… and they're adults damn it. I shouldn't have to send for them like errant children! They should be setting a good example!”
 
“How aren't they setting a good example? If they're almost back like you said, then they're back before bedtime for Alik. A full hour before.” Mariabella asked, thinking, `I still don't understand why her mood shifted. She was okay when the men first started training, pleased even. After our early dinner she groused about a headache and became increasingly agitated. Even Mother couldn't get through to her. I want to give up, but I won't. I'll never figure her out. Even Dad never got this upset.'
 
“That's not it! They should know to be back by dark,” Cleo snapped, exasperated. Her eyes turned to the door as the men and Alik entered laughing.
 
Almost immediately, the laughter faded under Cleo's glare. Orphen simply glared back and walked towards the kitchen. He was hungry and wasn't going to deal with Cleo in that mode until he'd gotten something in his stomach.
 
Mariabella sighed, seeing how dusty and dirty the men were, and they were tracking it all over the foyer. Internally she chuckled, wondering if Cleo would go after them on that, too.
 
Hartia and Majic moved to Mariabella in the hopes of getting the story since she appeared to be trying to calm Cleo down. Devon entered last, more somber then everyone else.
 
Alik, not seeing the storm clouds, ran up to Cleo excitedly. “Cleo, you should have seen it. Devon and me watched Orphen, Hartia and Majic casting all sorts of bright, colorful spells at each other. And then when they saw us there, Orphen invited Devon to join in. And he did, he moved away from me and Orphen cast a spell at Devon…and he held his hands out and reflected it back at Orphen. Then they changed things up so that Devon would try to change the course of the spells rather than reflect them straight back. And Majic cast at the ground in front of Devon covering him in dirt. And it was so cool. I can't wait till I can do all that, they made me stay on the sidelines with a Wolven.” Alik pouted before changing subjects again. “But, um…I'm hungry so when's dinner?”
 
“Shortly, and I'm sure everything was cool, Alik, but how long were you supposed to stay?”
 
“Quit your bitching, Cleo,” Devon interrupted before Alik cold answer, stomping up to her.
 
Sensing the challenge in those words, Orphen stopped before he entered the kitchen. He glared at Devon, watching intently to see what was going to happen.
 
Devon continued, unaware of Orphen's glare, “I never said when we'd be back besides, it's not like it's late. And he's my responsibility not yours,” Devon spat irritably. He'd been fighting a headache for the last hour or so of their training and he didn't need Cleo to be a witch about their return. He wanted to get something to eat and lay down. Besides, he needed to think; he'd remembered something on the way back from the field.
 
“Is that all Alik is to you? A responsibility?!?” Cleo cried at a near scream.
 
“I'm not doing this with you, Cleo,” Devon said dismissively, turning away from her and pushing past her in route to the kitchen. He bit his tongue when he noticed who was glaring at him. He simply returned Orphen's glare as he passed him. `This time I won't take issue with that look. You did invite me to train and, as much as I hate to admit it if what I remembered is true, the anger was justified.'
 
“Um… ” Alik said in the ensuing silence, “Devon hasn't been in the best of moods for a while. I think he has a headache.” He added in a whisper, “Me, too.”
 
“Gah… he's not the only one, but, I'm not upset with you, Alik,” Cleo said, thinking he's not the only one whose head is pounding. “Just them. They didn't need to stay out so late or practice for so long!”
 
“But it was fun…”
 
Before Cleo could start in on Alik, Orphen interjected, “Cleo, calm down.”
 
“I will not. You should know better. It's late and you should have been home hours ago!” Cleo shouted back.
 
“I'm not going into this with you, Cleo!” Orphen said, calling to Alik before turning to go into the kitchen. “Come on, let's see what Tistiny has ready to eat.”
 
“We are not finished!” Cleo shouted, following him, slamming the kitchen door behind her, narrowly missing Leki who slipped through the door just in the nick of time.
 
Sighing, Majic realized that Cleo and Orphen were rolling into one of their usual fights. It was really surprising to Majic because if Cleo had wanted them back so badly, all she needed to do was let Leki or one of the other Wolven know. The message would have been quickly relayed and they would have returned. Majic sighed, wondering why they're going at it again, this time needlessly.
 
“What's wrong?” Hartia asked Mariabella.
 
“I don't know. She started up about an hour ago; it doesn't make any sense. She was in a good mood earlier.”
 
“Oh…then it's not because of the discussion earlier today.”
 
“No, she got over that before we even left the inn. Although I think, from the way she treated Devon when he caught up to us, she figured out what happened. Even as we were walking back to the house, when we comforted Mom and had dinner she wasn't upset. She even joked a bit about picking a fight with Orphen over whether or not you did the errands earlier …”
 
“Wait a minute, comforted your mom? What's wrong?”
 
“Um…well, nothing's wrong. Today's just a day we remember.”
 
“Why didn't I think of that sooner, no wonder. You know it could be that,” Majic muttered.
 
“I didn't think about that, you're right Majic, however she never reacted…”
 
“What that?!?” Hartia broke in. “Explanation, please?”
 
“Today's the anniversary of the day our father was killed,” Mariabella responded.
 
“Killed? But, I thought he died from an illness? Cleo's always quoting things he said on his deathbed.”
 
Mariabella chuckled slightly, and shook her head. “During Cleo's first year of boarding school, he got so sick that the doctor said he couldn't do any more and called the minister to help us after he died, except, he got better.”
 
“Somehow, I can't picture Doc Hale giving up like that.”
 
“He wouldn't and he had a lot of choice words about that doctor for doing that. We were out of town at the time.” She replied, before turning back to finish what she was saying to Majic, “You know she's never reacted that way, even right after he died. She really took the things he said when he was sick to heart, up to and including that he didn't want us to mourn him, celebrate his life, yes. Miss him a little, yes. But, no tears. We still cry but it's because of happy memories.”
 
“Then if that's the case why is…” Hartia started, when all three became aware that the fighting in the kitchen had increased in volume and intensity just before the door to the kitchen flung open.
 
“Cleo, come back here!” Tistiny called as Cleo stormed up the stairs, Leki trailing at her heels.
 
“I will not! I have a headache and I'm going to bed. Anyone who disturbs me will be taking their life into their own hands!”
 
“Cleo! You better not leave the house!” Orphen shouted up as he entered the foyer headed for the door.
 
Majic had been watching Cleo as she stomped up to her room, periodically rubbing her ear until Orphen passed by him. Majic noticed the very red and roughly hand shaped discoloring on Orphen's cheek. His eyes widened as he realized how far Orphen and Cleo's fight must have gone. He shuddered slightly, this was not good and, he glanced up at the closed door to Cleo's room, not like her at all.
 
“Orphen. Please wait,” Tistiny called.
 
She was followed shortly by Alik running out to Orphen and latching onto his arm, whimpering, “Don't go.”
 
Orphen stopped with his hand on the doorknob, wanting to leave to cool off, but he couldn't and wouldn't fight both of them. Alik was trembling and had already said his head hurt. Plus Tistiny's calm was infectious especially after the shouting match that had just taken place in the kitchen that resulted in Devon going to the garden with Argenthua, and Cleo storming upstairs. `I set her off, on purpose. I knew just telling her to calm down like that would, but damn it she was being irrational!' Right after that thought Orphen turned back to Tistiny with an annoyed, “What?!?”
 
His tone caused Alik to cling tighter and Tistiny just raised her eyebrows, indicating her displeasure at his tone but continued normally, “I believe it would be best to discuss a few things that were mentioned with everyone here. Alik needs to finish his dinner in the kitchen, and I'm sure Hartia and Majic could use some dinner so let's adjourn there. You all have some decisions to make and I don't believe you have time to waste.”
 
“You think I don't know that!?!” Orphen growled in spite of Alik's presence.
 
“I know you do, but the simple fact of the matter is that given what Devon admitted and confirmed by what Majic told you earlier, you need to leave outside of what was previously scheduled.”
 
“Hold it!” Hartia interjected, “You mean besides the fight you actually discussed something. What?”
 
Orphen simply looked at Tistiny and nodded. She started by saying; “Devon admitted that he remembered something that Neri said after their… encounter last night that leads him to believe that she is in league with this Garik. This coupled with what Majic mentioned this morning confirms these suspicions. Since it has not been a secret in the town that you are intending to leave the day after tomorrow and Neri is likely spying for Garik, I suggested a change in departure plans might be in order.”
 
At the first mention of Garik's name, Majic started reviewing some little things he'd noticed; Devon and Cleo both in pissy moods; Devon, Cleo and Alik all complaining of headaches and Cleo rubbing her ear. “That's it!” Majic blurted out-loud.
 
“You have something to add?” Tistiny asked Majic.
 
“Um…well not about changing plans, but I think I might know why Cleo and the others are acting like they are.”
 
“Oh, do tell,” Hartia said, sarcastically.
 
“Garik.” Majic said gulping as the sudden rise in tension in the room, “Um… if he set that trap for Devon then he wouldn't be happy to see us doing things together. If he scryed us, then he might be angry and projecting that anger. It didn't make sense until you mentioned Garik.”
 
“Son of a bitch!” Orphen ground out, looking up at Cleo's door.
 
Mariabella followed his gaze thoughtfully. “Actually that makes a lot of sense, she was happy that you were training while we were walking back to the house. But during dinner, before her temper flared and she started complaining… um… Hartia didn't you say she rubs her ears when G…” Mariabella paused realizing that Alik was still in the room and shifted her phrase, “err, he's around?”
 
“Yea… she does. And I'm beginning to sense that that's going to be something we're going to have to really watch…”
 
“That's right.” Alik interrupted, leaning into Orphen trembling. ”Now… so… is that, I mean, I guess that is why my head hurts. Also, I think I-I felt him…” Orphen bent over to Alik's level to reassure him by hugging him back, “over an hour ago… he was angry like before but it's… it's like he's staying that way… I couldn't … well, didn't recognize it until… she said that… I-I'm sorry.”
 
“It's alright Alik.” Orphen said quietly before looking up at Tistiny. “You're right. We need to leave, tonight.”
 
“Tonight!!!” Hartia exclaimed, “We can't, we're just about spent.”
 
“He'd never expect it.”
 
“That's true, but traveling at night on no sleep. That's asking for trouble.”
 
“I agree with Orphen, in part.” Tistiny said. “Yes, you need to leave, tonight. However it's going to take a few hours to get everything ready. Those that will be guiding horses will need to catch a few hours of sleep while Mariabella, Alik, Cleo and I get the supplies ready and packed.”
 
“We should…” Orphen paused, realizing he still hadn't eaten, and he was going to have to calm Cleo down. Alik needed reassurance, which Cleo was better at that then him, someone needed to retrieve Devon and he was tired. “No, you're right, we'll leave in five hours. That should be sufficient time.”
 
“Yes. Most of the equipment has been delivered and is in the den so it's just a matter of packing and arranging. I'll send a messenger to the livery saying we want to house the horses in our stables until you leave the day after tomorrow so you can start getting used to the horses. Someone will need to go after Devon.”
 
“No need,” Devon said from the door to the kitchen. “I came back and heard.” Alik saw Devon and went running to him, throwing his arms around him. Devon held him close and addressed everyone, “I realized if she, err… Neri knew about me being in the cave. No one here would have talked about it in town. That means the only one she could have found that out was from Garik himself. You're right; we need to get out of here and fast. We can't stay here any longer.”
 
“Then, we're leaving tonight.” Orphen concluded, glancing up the stairs, grimacing as he thought of the chore ahead of him. “I'll let her know and send her down to help you, Tistiny.”
 
_________________________________________________________________ __________________
 
A big thanks to everyone who read this chapter and others, I hope you're enjoying my story.