Sorcerer Stabber Orphen Fan Fiction ❯ It's in the Family ❯ Chapter 18 ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: The usual, the characters from Sorcerous Stabber Orphen belong to Yoshinobu Akita, Yuuya Kusaka, TBS/Bandi and ADV.

This is set after Sorcerous Stabber Orphen: Revenge. This is based off the Anime only
using the English terms. Warning Spoilers!
 
Author's Note: I'm not going to waste our time apologizing for the delays which were lengthy or promising that the next delay won't be just a lengthy. I'm a stubborn perfectionist with lousy grammar, who took a very long time to get the point one of my beta readers was making.
 
Chapter 18*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
"I'm not going a step further. Alik's passed out and we've been going non-stop since yesterday. We stop now!" Devon announced.
 
“We'll walk as long as I say we walk.” Orphen growled back, “So shut up and keep going.”
 
“No. We can't keep this up, we've been walking all fricking day without sleep.”
 
“That doesn't change a damn thing. We're not stopping.”
 
“What in the hell are you waiting for? Someone else to drop from exhaustion?” Devon shouted back, gesturing toward Hartia. “We've lost the horses, most of the supplies and we've been attacked by bandits and demons. I'm stopping here.” Devon said, sitting down to emphasis his point while keeping an eye on Cleo's reaction to the unfolding events.
 
“Get your ass up and get moving. You said it yourself, we've been attacked today and this area is too open. Or don't you care about Alik's safety.”
 
“That's not fair!” Cleo shrieked, stomping up to get in Orphen's face, missing the smirk that appeared on Devon's face when she picked up the fight. “We're all tired so don't take it out on Devon just because he was the first to say something. It's not his fault!”
 
“No Cleo! It's yours!” Orphen fired back, “You were the one hell-bent on walking. You got your way, your highness. Now move your ass.”
 
Knowing the gauntlet for a larger fight had been thrown down; Majic just shook his head tuning them out. Fighting had become the norm for them since Cleo had come downstairs last night. Even before that both their voices could be heard throughout the house, including the basement, while they were engaged in a loud shouting match. Everything that had happened since hadn't helped their tempers either. Devon was even was quiet while Orphen and Cleo were fighting. Majic wasn't sure if Devon had wised up, got distracted by Hartia, or was just too tired to care.
 
Majic remembered the first attack, it occurred just outside of town in the pre-dawn light; a small, red spiky monster jumped in front of the horses, spooking them. Although the creature hadn't lived long afterwards, falling to Devon's sword, that was cold comfort, considering that when the horses reared, two of the cinches snapped, dumping Hartia, Orphen and Cleo to the ground, narrowly missing one of the Wolven escort, Terados. The damage had been done though, they ended up on the ground and tempers flared, once again.
 
The journey had been a complete disaster from the very beginning. Majic grimaced, remembering Orphen having to physically force Cleo onto his horse. That made her mad and she refused to speak to anyone. Stubbornly, she also refused to sleep while they rode. `I don't know if it was from fear or fury. Most likely the latter, but those were the quietest hours of the trip, so far.
 
Of course, once the cinches snapped, we were on foot. Since the two horses that had been spooked ran off in the direction of town. Chasing after them was pointless, since riding bareback wasn't an option, and we didn't have the tools with us to repair the saddles.
 
Given that, we agreed to release the other horses, and point them towards town as well. Everything should have calmed down, but Cleo just had to gloat. And Master didn't put up with it, at all. He rubbed it into her face that now we were all in more danger; easier to track, easier to catch, because we were moving slower. That was the first time; he flat out said it was her fault. It wasn't, but that didn't stop him. I guess, in a way that fight was how we discovered that the single creature was quite likely a sentinel. So at least something good came of it.
 
The attacks started in earnest after daybreak, proving Master right. Although we expected them as we traveled, I think the intensity surprised us all.' Majic couldn't even wrap his mind around trying to count the attacks past the first group of monsters that attacked just after sunrise and the two bandit attacks later. He just knew they'd been happening so often his nerves were on edge. Not that he was alone; everyone was frazzled.
 
In fact, by the time lunch rolled around, although he had tried to put up a brave front, Alik had passed out from exhaustion. At that time, it was decided not to try to wake him, just to carry him. He was being piggybacked alternately by Devon or Hartia. Majic shook his head, shifting the pack on his back. Alik probably weighed about the same amount as the pack, but his offer to take a turn had been rejected by Orphen without explanation. Also, since he was in the lead, Orphen refused to carry Alik. Wanting to help, Cleo even offered to help carry him, but Orphen bluntly told her she was too weak; and would just slow them down even further.
 
Majic grimaced, remembering in addition to the added stress already in place, something had happened on the first bandit attack that Orphen and Hartia wouldn't discuss. He had seen them talk briefly over a note. The crest on the note looked familiar. He thought it might have been the Montevallo crest, but that didn't make any sense. Lord Montevallo was dead by now, for killing Cleo. Well, her clone, or golem, or whatever it was. Majic shuddered involuntarily at that memory, especially considering he kept seeing Cleo, the knife and Agan in his dreams, among other things he would rather not think about.
 
Majic shrugged off his sense of foreboding in favor of thinking about the goal Orphen had set for the end of the day. It was a camp they'd used on a number of occasions that was very isolated, even though it was fairly close to the road. If Majic remembered correctly, the camp area was only a few hours walk from where they had stopped for lunch. The easily defensible camp, by Majic's reckoning, should not be far down the road. A fact, judging from her recent actions, that Cleo must have forgotten.
 
He could also see from their reactions, Hartia and Devon welcomed the break, since they were both showing the strain of the day. In a way, Devon had instigated this stop, and seemed to be enjoying Orphen and Cleo's fight a little too much for Majic's taste. Hartia gratefully laid Alik down in the shadow of some trees, just off the trail before leaning against a tree and flexing his shoulders in relief during the break in his turn carrying Alik. Devon joined him on the other side of Alik and the tree. Lastly, he noticed the Wolven, circling their group, on guard.
 
Majic still couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. He knew this place, they'd been by it dozens of times… however, he was trying to figure out why he had this sense of deja-vu. Not just about the location, but something else. It felt like repetition. He was pondering while he absently removed his pack and sat it on the ground before looking back at his companions. Several things stood out in Majic's mind. He noticed the Wolven wasn't actually circling, but pacing. Alik was thrashing, as though in the midst of nightmare, in spite of Hartia placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder. Devon was complaining about a headache, and, Cleo, still focused on her argument with Orphen, was doing something inadvertently that brought it all together, in an alarming conclusion.
 
“Um… Master, Cleo, is something wrong?” Majic asked, gesturing towards Cleo's hand.
 
Cleo looked over at Majic and realized where her hand was: she was absently rubbing her ear. `Again,' she thought, `but last time…' Leki growled by Cleo's feet at the same time everyone became aware of a bright flash, just at the edge of the clearing, indicating someone or something arriving via teleport. `This time it's real.' Cleo finished her thought, preparing for the trial to come.
 
Orphen nudged Cleo towards Alik, who'd just woken up and was rubbing his head, “Protect him.” He gave Majic a pointed glare that he understood to mean `stay close and back them up, or else.'
 
Cleo quickly grabbed Leki and carried him with her as she hurried to Alik, quietly calling out to him when he sat up alarmed. She was also relieved to find that Terados was already on guard.
 
Orphen turned to meet the threat of the monsters that were gathering and preparing to charge. He and Hartia exchanged glances realizing, these were the same type of monsters they had encountered on the road to Totokonta all those weeks ago, small, red, quadriped lesser demons with spikes on their arms and some yellow spotting on the arms.
 
“These guys again!” Hartia shouted.
 
“Hand to hand only.” Orphen called back, reminding Hartia to conserve his magic since they were being so frequently attacked.
 
“New Black Tiger rides again,” Hartia quipped.
 
Orphen rolled his eyes and hissed, “And him without his mask. `I create thee, Sword of Magic.'”
 
Hartia followed suit, calling forth his magical sword, following Orphen into the fray. Noticing as he did, the gleam of metal from Devon flinging a few ninja stars at the creatures, before attacking them with his sword.
 
Cleo tensed and paled; she was not scared as much as torn. Cleo may not have gotten along with Devon; however, she couldn't deny he was exceptional with the sword. The creatures' numbers were quickly diminishing under the skilled swordplay of the trio. Plus, with the Wolven and Majic stopping any of the attackers that got too close, she was free to examine the battle, even though something inside of her was screaming at her that she should be fighting.
 
From past experience watching battles, she quickly picked up on the fact that two of the monsters were hanging back, and that's who her instincts were urging her to attack, not the lesser demons. Somehow she knew beyond a shadow of a doubt, that one of them was `Him' in disguise. However, her orders were explicit, she was to protect Alik. `No, not orders; I chose to protect and claim him as my own from the moment I brought him with me out of that hell. And we're never going back. Ever.'
 
She crouched down and pushed Alik's head down again after he raised it again since he wanted to watch the battle. Whispering into his ear, Cleo insisted he keep his head down. Rising, Cleo was nervously watching as the battle progressed. Hartia had gotten knocked aside and momentarily stunned. Cleo was about to run and help, when Orphen took out the creatures that were advancing on Hartia.
 
"Alik, don't move and don't look up." Cleo commanded.
 
“He's here… isn't he…” Alik whimpered.
 
“Yes.” Cleo gritted out, gripping the hilt of her sword more tightly, as the need to go after the two monsters who were observing from the sidelines rose to a crescendo in her head. `I'm going to stop him and no one's going to stop me.' She silently resolved.
 
Leki, while guarding Cleo and Alik along side Terados, became increasingly aware of the intense emotions radiating from his mistress. Touching her mind, he realized two things, she couldn't or wouldn't hear him and he was terrified by what he saw she was about to do. Panicked, he called to her mate while Teradoos alerted their brethren.
 
After rolling on the ground and leaping up to slice another monster, Orphen heard Leki's howl. He jumped aside, dodging an attack even as he focused his attention on Cleo. Even across the field of battle, he could see she was shaking like a leaf, intently looking off to the left of the main battle. Two of the monsters were there, not entering the battle, just standing aside waiting for something. In horror, Orphen realized that one of them had red eyes, Garik's eyes. Quickly, he started fighting towards her, silently praying he wouldn't be too late.
 
`Why? Why is he just standing there?' he thought, before another look at Cleo told him why. He saw her start to step forward, then step back and repeat the process. If he hadn't already been certain one of the creatures was Garik that would have confirmed it. And the only thing stopping her was lying at her feet, Alik.
 
In increasing alarm, Orphen watched Majic moving back to her after dealing with an attack. Orphen understood that as soon as Majic returned, Alik would have a protector and she would go after Garik. 'Damn it, we're not ready and we don't know enough. Don't do it, Cleo, please. I can't…' he thought as he rushed to her, to stop what he knew was about to happen.
 
Suddenly, Terados charged Garik, snarling, his eyes glowing as powered up his blast. With a bored look on his face, Garik simply glanced at his companion, who quickly cast a spell, causing Terados to fly across the clearing, slamming into one tree, breaking it in half and continuing to crash into another, which stopped his momentum.
 
“Cleo, it's Majic,” he said identifying himself since he was approaching her from behind. He was worried about her reaction to what happened since she and Alik were so attached to the Wolven, "Are you two all right?"
 
"Yeah, watch Alik for me, will you?"
 
"Why? You're supposed to stay…” Majic trailed off, as Cleo neither answered nor stopped.
 
She stepped away, focused on the Demons. She moved towards the larger of the two monsters. Even as she faintly heard Majic and Alik shout at her to stop, she couldn't. She felt her blood screaming at her to kill the demon.
 
She didn't get the opportunity; Orphen stepped in front of her before she could charge the demon.
 
Garik cursed, the plan had been working. She had been about to charge him. That damned sorcerer interfered again. He almost had her. He knew his time was up; he could sense the adult Wolven coming from where they'd been dealing with a diversionary attack designed to distract them. `Although, the impulsiveness of the young one will work to my advantage; a sorcerer attacked him. I can't wait to see what distrust that will spawn.'
 
Regarding the Huntress though, right now, he'd have to settle for taunting her. He sneered, "Huntress, you may think you're safe, but your family is not. A gift… you should recognize it." He held up a necklace with a heart shaped pendant Cleo and Orphen knew all too well. "Catch!" He taunted as he teleported away, just before the Wolven burst growling, into the clearing.
 
Orphen caught the necklace and heard Cleo's whisper, "Mother."
 
She grabbed a hold of part of Orphen's jacket and he could feel her trembling as she leaned against him momentarily. `Damn it I knew he'd do this but also I didn't want to tell her.' He thought as he started to turn to let her know everything was okay as she pushed away.
 
Cleo shouted, "Hartia, take a Wolven and get back to the mansion. Check on my Mother!"
 
“Wha…” Hartia asked surprised, looking across the clearing at Cleo and Orphen from where he'd been calming Devon down. Admittedly, that was easy now; Devon's energy seemed to have left him, almost at the exact same moment Garik left.
 
In fact, Devon stopped so abruptly, he practically collapsed on the ground before Hartia could catch him. It was strange; Devon had almost gone completely berserk, hacking indiscriminately towards where Orphen and Cleo had been. It didn't make sense, he fought fine in the smaller attacks they had earlier, but this one he went into a battle rage that reminded him of…
 
`Oh crap! The first encounter with Garik. Cleo went after him the same way Devon just tried to. Is it something that Hunters do? But Cleo didn't go completely berserker this time. Is it only during their first battles? This will require more thought, discussion and of course, research. Majic'll love another reason to explore the Tower library.'
 
While he was musing, Cleo and Orphen had rolled into another one of their fights. He quickly realized from the small sparkling piece of jewelry Cleo was now brandishing in front of Orphen, all the details from Garik's surprise attack the previous week were out. `Looks like the jig is up. I knew he'd do something like this. Thank goodness I arranged to allow the secret out before we left, even if it was only… jeez, yesterday and we never got a chance to discuss it with her. I guess time flies when you're having fun. Note to self, ask when we've had fun in the last 24 hours.'
 
After a brief check on Devon, who was sitting on the ground, slightly dazed but fine, Hartia stood to walk over to Majic, before answering Cleo's call. He was delayed momentarily, while he reassured Alik that Devon was all right, before the boy climbed into Devon's lap. Once near Majic, Hartia whispered, “We're camping here for the rest of the day. I think everyone needs the rest, and, besides, I think our secret is out.” Majic nodded and started unloading a few things from the pack he was carrying, while Hartia walked over to Cleo and Orphen. “Cleo, your Mother is fine, but I'll still check on her if you'd like.”
 
Cleo stopped in mid-screech at Orphen, “How do you know? How can you both be so sure?”
 
“If you'd ever let me finish, damn it, I'll tell you! Now, shut up!” Orphen shouted. “He didn't just get the necklace; he's had it since he trashed your bed!”
 
“You said that! So, what, you don't think he could have gone back! I want you, or Hartia to check on my mother, NOW!”
 
“Calm down and think about it! We can't afford to divide our forces now. Especially with him attacking so recently…”
 
“The Wolven are here now.” Cleo paused, and closed her eyes briefly, indicating she was listening to either Leki or a Wolven. She grimaced but relaxed after a moment and a quick glance around the area showed the Wolven guarding and cleaning up after the battle. “Argenthua just said they'd been distracted by a diversionary attack. They'll all be fine, even Terados thank goodness. Now, check on my mother and sister! Please!”
 
“Fine! We will, but first we're going to get a camp set up in a defensible location. This is too damned open.” Orphen growled, turning his attention to Majic, “So, you can stop setting up camp, Majic, we're going off the road a bit.”
 
Cleo watched Majic simply re-pack the first aid kit and slip it back into his backpack. She noticed the kit was the only thing he'd removed from the backpack. It slowly dawned on her that he obviously had heard the discussion and wasn't surprised about either the necklace or the order to continue traveling. Neither was Hartia. “Just when did you all find out?” Cleo asked, eyes narrowed as she examined Majic's reaction, since she knew he would react first.
 
“Yesterday.” Majic whispered, avoiding eye contact with her by focusing on the pack.
 
“Yesterday? Yesterday! That's bull… the attack on the house happened a week ago. If he took it then, then someone had to get a replacement.” She snarled, glaring at Majic's face waiting for him to give up the culprit, even if he did so unintentionally.
 
“I did, Cleo.” Hartia stated, before Majic reacted. He held his hands out when Cleo started to advance on him, fists clenched. “Wait, Cleo, I won't lie, I kept the secret at the behest of your mother. I didn't really want to but…” He paused, realizing he wasn't helping his case if the increasing anger he saw on her face was any indication. “After all the fighting today, do you want to add to it? Particularly when we could be attacked again at any moment.”
 
“Damnit, Hartia.” Cleo growled, clenching and unclenching her fists. “You still kept the secret. A secret you damned well knew you shouldn't have.” Cleo kept trying to relax, but she finally lost the battle. Her hand whipped out and slapped Hartia across the cheek.
 
“And you!” She whirled shrieking at Orphen. “What did you tell me?!?! Oh yeah! `If we have secrets that come out at the wrong time, we're dead.' How prophetic! How hypocritical! It's okay for you sorcerers to keep secrets, but not humans, or is that too general? It's okay for you to keep secrets, but not me! No more!”
 
“Cleo…”
 
“Don't even try to explain this one… you're wrong and you know it. You intentionally kept this from me. No more secrets or I'll leave and do this on my own.”
 
Devon had come to his senses after the battle at the sound of the slap. He watched the argument building, smirking knowing that he'd started that rift. He thought about interrupting, but realized, there was a weight against his chest, since Alik was clinging to him.
 
Devon rubbed Alik's back, reassuring him, while he watched Cleo and Orphen as something dawned on him. `I won't have to do much more, it's almost too easy. Just keep them fighting the way they've been today and he'll push her away. Right into my arms. I just have to wait and… keep my mouth shut until the time is right.' He smirked when Cleo delivered her ultimatum.
 
“Devon, make them stop. Please.” Alik whimpered.
 
“Shhh…” Devon whispered, “It'll be all right.” He clasped Alik tighter, torn. He wanted to let them keep fighting, but it was upsetting Alik, who'd been through enough today.
 
“Cleo,” Hartia interrupted Orphen before he could answer. “I arranged to let the secret out yesterday to Krylancelo and Majic. After that we were going to tell you, but with everything that happened last night…”
 
“Hold it.” Devon interrupted, “Let's take this up later,” letting his eyes rest meaningfully on Alik, before looking around at the group and finally resting his gaze on Cleo.
 
“He's right, let's get under cover and make camp.” Hartia agreed. “Besides, it's been a hell of a day…night…err, both. And the sooner we make camp, the sooner I can go back and check on a couple of people.” Internally adding, `I also owe someone an `I told you so,' but at least it wasn't as bad as it could have been. We were lucky, again. And good luck never lasts.'
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
The flash from Hartia's departure had barely faded when Alik got up from where Devon had tucked him in for bed, even though the sun had barely started to set, and walked up to where Orphen and Cleo were about to leave the campsite.
 
“You`re going to fight aren't you?”
 
Cleo looked back at Alik and he completely diffused her anger, again. She saw how worried looked and immediately returned to him. “No…well, kinda… well, oh, yes. But Alik, just because we fight sometimes, doesn't change how we feel about you.”
 
“Or each other?” Alik whispered.
 
Cleo nodded, before adding, “I may be angry at them, but I still care.”
 
“Because they kept a secret, but you had me keep one about the exercising in the room.”
 
“That wasn't really a secret, not like what they were hiding.”
 
“But it was still a secret, what's the difference?”
 
“There isn't one, Alik.” Orphen interjected. “Any secret is dangerous when you have someone willing to manipulate you.”
 
“Truer words were never spoken. Too bad they came from a…”
 
“Cleo.” Majic admonished.
 
“What!” Cleo snapped, turning on Majic.
 
“It's late.” He held up a hand stopping her when she inhaled to continue, “We're all exhausted. We need rest. Another fight isn't going to help.”
 
“But…”
 
“Stop.” Orphen stepped in, “Majic's right. Let's get some rest while we wait for Hartia to return instead of starting another round.”
 
“Yeah, sorcerer boy's right.” Devon added grudgingly, before scooping Alik up, “So, come on, bro. Let's get you back into the bedroll.” scooping Alik up.
 
“Uh un… My head hurts and I want Cleo to tuck me in,” wiggling out of Devon's hold, and running back to Cleo.
 
Once he got to her, Cleo hugged him back and shooed him to his bedroll. “I'll be there in a sec, have Devon get you started. And when I get back we'll have some tea for our headache.”
 
Majic groaned, knowing what that meant, he'd better go get water. He took a step towards camp but realized the Devon wasn't moving. Noticing the smirk on Devon's face, Majic decided that he was going to prevent Devon from causing more trouble. “Alik, to make tea for your headache, I need firewood, want to help Devon gather it?” Alik nodded and Devon grumbled under his breath but complied.
 
Once they were out of earshot, Cleo turned to Orphen. “I'm sorry, I overreacted. It's been a very long day. I'm tired and very frustrated and… well,” Cleo paused, not wanting to admit her feelings, yet needing to give them voice. “And very, very scared.”
 
Orphen thought, `If I were only scared, terrified is more like it.' He reached out and put a hand on her shoulder, “We'll get through this. We'll get to the Tower. We'll get answers and make a plan. I will protect you from him.”
 
“I know that. Thank you.” Cleo said, leaning her head against his hand momentarily before turning away to return to Alik. She took a couple of steps before looking back, “You know, he's scared, too… please join us?” She held her hand out tentatively.
 
He walked just past her before stopping, taking her offered hand and placing it in the bend of his elbow. She smiled slightly, thinking, `Again with the `It's okay for me to hang on to you, but not for you to openly hold my hand.' I guess we're back to normal. But, I still wish for more.'
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Hartia arrived at the door to the Everlasting Mansion and was admitted by a very surprised looking servant. The servant offered to announce him but he simply asked if the ladies were in their drawing room. After the nod, Hartia just went straight there. He'd been reassured from his survey of the grounds that everything was okay and the Wolven were on guard. However, he still needed to deliver his message and return as quickly as possible.
 
Tistiny sat forward in her chair, suddenly alert, looking at the door in surprise, as a dusty, travel weary, Hartia entered the room. Mariabella spoke first, “Hartia? You-you're back…but…why?”
 
“Just, to check on you both.” Hartia answered and directed his gaze on Tistiny. “And to deliver an, `I told you so.'”
 
Tistiny gasped, “Oh, no…he…”
 
“Is everyone okay?” Mariabella inquired, “What happened, why did you need to check on us?”
 
“Cleo's in a panic.” Hartia stated, his eyes never leaving Tistiny's.
 
“Why?”
 
“Ask your mother!” Hartia barked.
 
“Don't yell at us!” Mariabella shouted back.
 
“Is she all right?” Tistiny pleaded, “Is everyone okay? Please, tell me.”
 
“You want to know. We were lucky. We're all fine, no thanks to you. If Cleo had not damn near begged me to come here, I wouldn't have. As I told you, Garik laid a trap for us, and sprang it when we were at our weakest. It was two-pronged, drawing the Wolven away before he moved in. Just after the tide of the battle was turning in our favor, he tossed out your necklace. Do I need to go into details about what that did to Cleo? I hope you're happy with yourself!” Hartia spat.
 
Tistiny paled and habitually reached for the pendant at her neck, holding it like she was drowning and it was her lifeline. She collapsed back into the chair she'd been sitting in, temporarily robbed of speech.
 
Seeing her mother's reaction, Mariabella bristled in defense, standing and poking Hartia in the chest, “You have no right to talk to her like that! I don't care what happened.”
 
Turning his glare on Mariabella, “You don't? You don't care that Garik almost took Alik and your sister again? That he would have killed the rest of us, too? Less then two hours…” Hartia trailed off realizing that barb was piercing the wrong target when he saw the horror creep into Mariabella's eyes.
 
Mariabella looked at her mother in shock, and then looked back at Hartia. She saw that he was calming down from what had angered him, after her Mother's words. “I-I don't understand, what exactly happened? What necklace?” Mariabella questioned, looking at the familiar necklace currently Tistiny was holding. “You have your necklace, how could he have…”
 
“Mariabella, please sit down.” Tistiny ordered, regaining some of her composure and releasing the pendant, “Hartia warned me that I was making a mistake and today proved him correct. Remember when this Garik creature vandalized Cleo's bed?” At Mariabella's nod, Tistiny took a deep breath, knowing her reaction would be explosive, “He also took my necklace, off my neck apparently, at the same time. I asked…”
 
“What? Mother, were you… wait. That happened and you didn't say anything. Mother, how could you?” Mariabella cried out.
 
“Please, let me finish, dear.” Tistiny paused, again taking a deep breath to gather her thoughts, before continuing and focusing on Hartia. “I asked, no, ordered, Hartia to keep it a secret, and get a replacement from town. He warned me that not telling everyone could be disastrous. And that, not telling at least Orphen would be a serious mistake.”
 
“A mistake, a mistake, Mother! You kept something that dangerous hidden. Father would not be pleased, he taught us all better than to keep such secrets! Oh, God! Hartia was right! Mother do you know what could have happened?!? How could you, betray us like that?!?”
 
“I suppose you could look at it as a betrayal. However, I was trying to protect those who were still recovering, as well as you. We will discuss this more, later. Right now, I believe Hartia is urgently needed elsewhere.” Tistiny then turned to Hartia, “Do you have time for me to write a note to Cleo and Orphen apologizing for adding to the problems?”
 
“I'm still furious…and I can…no, I've got to get back as soon as…” Hartia trailed off at the disappointed look in Tistiny's eyes. Inwardly cursing himself for being too softhearted, he continued, “possible, but I will wait, for a little while.”
 
“You do know that part of what I'm writing is for you. I put you in a very difficult situation, and for that, I apologize. Why don't you get something to drink and eat while you wait? Mariabella, please assist him, I'd like to be alone for a few moments.”
 
Mariabella nodded to her mother, stood and headed towards the door. Hartia hurried ahead of her and opened it for her. Once through, she gestured in the direction of the kitchen and said, “I think you know the way.”
 
Hartia nodded, not saying anything, although he was examining Mariabella's expression and body language. He could tell she was angry, but he wasn't able to figure out whether she was upset with him or her mother. He figured it was likely a toss up at that moment. When he couldn't read the answer, he finally asked, “Are you mad at me?”
 
“For what? Telling Mother the truth? No. How you went about it? That's another matter. Although I do not agree with her decision, and I will discuss that with her later, I don't like how you addressed her.”
 
“I know…I'll apologize to her when I pick up the note. I was just so… so…”
 
“Thank you…but, more importantly. What happened, exactly? Is everyone all right? How did Orphen and Majic take the news? How far did you…” Mariabella trailed off, realizing something, “I sounded like Cleo just now, didn't I”
 
Hartia put an arm around her shoulders, giving her a small hug, and they walked down the hall towards the stairs. “It's nice to see a sign that you two are sisters after all. Now, to answer, let's see if I can get all the questions. They were all fine when I left, and Cleo was in a rare temper. Orphen and Majic already knew about the necklace. I had to tell them after we ran into the jeweler yesterday; and although not happy, they were resigned. Since we left, we've been attacked over seven times and two of the saddles broke, putting us on foot with limited supplies, so we're not moving as fast as we would have liked.”
 
Hartia paused noticing that they'd made it down the stairs and almost to the kitchen while he was talking. “And I'll tell you the rest in the kitchen, while you fix some goodies for everyone and I get a sandwich.” Seeing he hadn't distracted her, he added with a charming grin, as they entered the kitchen, “That is, after you fix me some of your fantastic coffee, please.”
 
With a slight blush and a wry grin, she nodded, adding, “You will not always win by distracting me.” She saw the gleam in his eyes that said volumes, “That was simply a statement, not a challenge. Just sit down and let me get started, since we don't have a lot of time and you have a story to tell. The whole, complete story, from after you left and don't water it down for me. I would imagine worse anyway.”
 
Hartia quickly related the details of the day while he sat and enjoyed watching Mariabella bustle around the kitchen giving instructions to a couple of servants as they prepared a small feast for the travelers, which would be especially welcomed after the stresses of the day. Hartia was beginning to think that coming back here was actually a really good idea. Best of all, he got to watch her and remember why he'd fallen so hard for her. And have the possibility of this being a nightly thing when Mariabella offered to pack nightly picnic's for them.
 
He was contemplating, pulling her aside for a kiss when Tistiny arrived with the note. He accepted the note, the picnic basket and a pair of hugs before quickly returning to the camp.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
“Oh, that was so good. No one can cook like your mother and sister.” Majic sighed, patting his stomach.
 
“Majic, keep your voice down, I just got Alik settled down.” Cleo whispered, gesturing towards the fire when Alik was curled up in a bed roll, with Leki relaxing by his head.
 
“Sorry… but you can't deny that it's true,” Majic whispered back, pointing at the now empty basket Hartia had brought back with him. “Even you have to admit, it was a welcome surprise. Besides, after the day we've had. I mean I knew traveling was going to be dangerous…but, I mean… I didn't expect…”
 
“Oh… um, well, we did leave early and before everything was set up.” Cleo answered quietly, “Tomorrow will be better. You were bathing when Argenthua mentioned this; we were supposed to rendezvous with the adult Wolven tomorrow morning just outside of Totokonta. It seems that Argenthua and the others are…well, basically teenagers. The adults refuse to enter towns and the adults were supposed to do the primary protecting while we traveled. Ga…Ga… he took advantage of that once the sentry alerted him to our early departure. Be glad you missed Orphen's rant on that topic.”
 
“I am. I can imagine and I'm glad to hear tomorrow should be better. Um... I don't think I could take another day like today. We were attacked…what three or was it four times?”
 
“I don't know… I lost track myself…” Cleo trailed off absently gazing towards the edge of the camp where Terados was resting and had lifted his head to return her stare. “I thought it was five but… uh…are you sure?”
 
“Who're you talking to Cleo?”
 
“Terados.” Cleo said standing, tension radiating off of her as she surged to her feet. “KRYLANCELO FINRANDI! GET YOUR LYING SORCERER ASS HERE NOW!”
 
“Whoa, Cleo, calm down what happened?”
 
“There weren't three, four or five attacks? There were fourteen! The Wolven handled the others.”
 
“Fourteen…” Majic echoed letting that sink in as loud sounds of shouting and stomping were heard rapidly approaching the camp.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
After they had finished a quick wash, Hartia was pleading his case to Orphen and Devon about expanding Mariabella's suggestion. “Look she suggested fixing dinner for us every night. That would save us the work of having to cook each night. Not to mention the amount of gear we wouldn't have to carry.”
 
“A home cooked meal every night while traveling,” Devon's eyes raised and he rubbed his stomach. “You know I could get to like traveling with sorcerers and their flashy transportation thing.”
 
“Although a good idea, the magic drain doesn't make it worthwhile.” Orphen countered, ignoring Devon as he slipped his vest back on.
 
“Actually, it wouldn't be that draining if it's spread out by three.”
 
Orphen was shaking his head even before Hartia finished. “No.”
 
“Majic has learned the spell. And he needs to practice it.” Hartia added, fumbling slightly as the buttons were smaller this new shirt leaving him wishing his shirt as the buttons were small compared to what he was used to and silently wishing it was his usual jacket.
 
“I'm not arguing with the practice.” Orphen clarified, “It's the distance. How long was it before you did that length of port?”
 
“So you're saying your apprentice isn't up to it?” Hartia challenged.
 
“I didn't say that…” Orphen objected.
 
“Oh good, it's settled then.” Devon interrupted, “Home cooked meals every night, made by Mariabella.”
 
“Plus we can do cold breakfasts, like muffins or leftovers.” Hartia added, sensing that Orphen was weakening and moved in for the kill, “Then lunch can be bread and cheese while we walk so that rest can be just that. Enabling us to cover more ground.”
 
“You're the one who covered most of the instruction portion of that lesson.” Orphen stated, putting his gloves back on. “Is he really up to porting such a distance, unassisted?”
 
Hartia paused, grimacing brushing his fingers through his still wet hair. “Not really. He needs more practice with short ports first. And I know how you feel about `porting, so that leaves it up to me. Not that I couldn't do it, however, doing it while traveling isn't practical.”
 
“But…”
 
“You're afraid. Does Cleo know?”
 
“He never said anything about fear. I don't like to `port.”
 
“Yeah, right.”
 
“Devon, let me finish.” Hartia interrupted, and turned back to Orphen, “Yeah, it would drain me after a while. However I think the pros out weigh the cons.”
 
“I don't like it. You're forgetting, we can't take the direct route to Alenhatan. That is, if we want it to still be there. Remember what Lai…”
 
“Lai who?” Devon interrupted, “Oh, wait…Cleo mentioned him, the seer.”
 
“True.” Hartia answered absently, “And Damn it Krylancelo. I hate it when you do that. I know he saw destroyed cities and we discussed this earlier as the reason we should avoid staying in populated areas unless we had to.”
 
“Cities!?!” Devon cried, “Which ones? Surely he could see which ones? Is it the capitol or Alenhatan or …well if the seer would do his job and tell us, we'd know where to find him. And stop him.”
 
Hartia suppressed an eye roll, “Unfortunately, a seer's visions do not work that way. He can see the destruction but the location evades him.”
 
“Well... shit what the hell use is he then. Oh great, we know that Garik can cause mass destruction. Duh!”
 
“True, but he saw it months ago. And warned the Elders, Azalie and I. We've been researching it ever since.”
 
Argenthua approached the men in human form and asked.  "Why are you keeping the additional attacks from the Alpha?"
 
“To protect…” Orphen started.
 
Devon narrowed his eyes interrupting, “What attacks?”
 
After a quick glance at Orphen, Argenthua responded, “The diversionary attacks arranged by the Demon Garik. We have been reinforced and continue to watch and block his sight.  However, do not let your guard down as any humans who attack cannot be as readily intercepted.”
 
Devon asked, “How many attacks have there been?”
 
"I already mentioned this. Since daybreak; fourteen."  Argenthua answered.
 
"Fourteen."  Devon said quietly but his voice rose at the end as his temper flared.   
 
“This goes no further, understand.” Orphen announced looking at everyone, especially Devon.
 
“I did, when you mentioned it earlier… but, do I need to remind you…” Hartia started.
 
“Shut your trap Hartia.” Orphen snapped, “It'll do more harm then good. It's no secret that we were attacked.” Hartia inhaled to object again and Orphen cut him off, “No.”
 
“As much as I hate to agree with him on anything, he's right. Alik and Cleo don't need to know. And if you want it to be kept from her, don't tell Majic.” Devon added. “Besides you told me.”
 
Suddenly from the camp they heard, “KRYLANCELO FINRANDI! GET YOUR LYING SORCERER ASS HERE NOW!”
 
Hartia groaned, standing to follow Devon and Orphen who were running back to camp, “Now what?”
 
“Terados advised the Alpha of the attacks.”
 
“Looks like another attempt at keeping secrets failed. No surprise there. Thanks Argenthua.” Hartia replied before teleporting back to camp.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
“Damn it Cleo! What the hell's wrong now?” Orphen roared arriving in camp at a run, barefooted with wet hair.
 
“Quiet!” She shouted.
 
“You're the one that shrieked!” Orphen pointed out, just as loudly.
 
“I did not…well,” Cleo paused, realizing she did shout. “So what if I did. It's not like you were planning on telling me about this latest secret! Or is that just the latest example of keeping things from the weak little girl!”
 
“What the hell are you talking about Cleo?”
 
“Just when did you plan on telling me about the other attacks?”
 
“I was… No, damnit. You're not blaming this on me!” Orphen hissed.
 
“Of course not. The great and powerful Krylancelo Finrandi would never do anything wrong! I've had it. Just leave me alone!”
 
“Cleo you don't really mean…owww.” Majic broke off with a slight cry of pain.
 
“That's right Cleo, I just found out about the attacks.” Devon said interrupting Majic as he ground his heel down. “If they aren't upfront with us, we don't need them.”
 
Majic, winced as he pulled his foot out from under Devon's boot, and muttered, “It's been too long a day for this crap.” He shook his head a both of them, silently wondering where they found the energy for this. Sighing, he stood and tried to reason with Cleo. “Calm down. They can't have known long, don't start.”
 
“No! Didn't we just have a lecture about keeping secrets that nearly blew up in our face, now I find out there's still more. And I'll bet… the stupid charlatan over there is about to blame me for it all!”
 
“Come on Cleo,” Devon whispered in her ear after he pushed his way between Cleo and Majic and putting a hand on her upper arm. “We don't need them.”
 
Cleo broke away from him and glared at her target, Orphen. "Aren't you?” Cleo accused, examining Orphen's face. When no confirmation or denial was forthcoming, she ground out, “I knew it!  The ever-popular secret keeping topic once again rears its ugly head. I'd hoped you might actually tell me everything, on your own…especially after the last talk… but no. I was as much as told you had no intention of telling me. I thought we had discussed this before."  She stepped up to Orphen fury in her eyes. 
 
"Let me put this in simple words to finally get it through your thick skull.  If you keep hiding things from me I will leave. Understand!  I'm not bluffing." Cleo turned sharply away from Orphen shutting out any further argument he might have presented. Her new stance had her facing Alik. Her eyes gleamed with concern when she noticed Alik was sitting up in his bedroll fidgeting. She started to move purposefully over to him when she heard Devon speak up.
 
"Hey, I'm all for that. Let's pack and leave we don't need these guys." Devon exclaimed.
 
"Shut up Devon!" Orphen yelled, his focus never leaving Cleo as he reached out and pulled her back to him. "Like hell you will!"
 
Majic sighed, "I was afraid of this. Devon's been leading them to it."
 
Hartia grinned, "Leading up to…what do you mean?”
 
“I just realized that Devon has been intentionally starting or escalating fights between Master and Cleo.”  
 
“How dense is he? That's like foreplay for them.” Hartia stated, even as he wondered, “What is he thinking.” He'd barely finished that thought when he felt a wave of jealously flow through him. He sighed, `I must be missing Mariabella and it's only been a couple of hours.' He almost missed Majic reply while he was musing.
 
“In case you haven't noticed... Devon doesn't think with his head too much. Well, the one on his shoulders anyway.”
 
"I really didn't need that image, Majic. However we'll discuss your other observa
tions that later,” Hartia grinned mischievously, “So want to take bets on who'll be the loser?"
 
"Not me.  I value my life, but you can go right ahead." Majic smirked as he returned his attention to the arguing couple… err, trio? “Not that much observation was necessary. It's pretty obvious, I think, well… except to them, that is.” Majic said, turning his attention back to the latest confrontation between the duo… err, trio.
 
“And just when were you planning on telling me Orphen?" Cleo accused.
 
"The attacks were taken care of.  You didn't need to worry about anything else you have enough to deal with."
 
"That translates to never. So, it boils down to the fact that you don't trust me, do you?"
 
"I trust you, let's go." Devon offered her his arm to escort her away from Orphen.
 
"That's not it." Orphen stated exasperated, running a hand through his hair.  'How can I tell her what I don't fully understand myself?'
 
She swatted Devon's arm away from her, "Stay out of this Devon!!!"  She whirled back on Orphen.  "If that's not it, then what is? Why won't you trust me?"
 
Majic nudged Hartia and pointed towards Alik, who was on the move. “Things should calm down now.”
 
Orphen inhaled to start answering her, when Alik ran up between them, shouting. "Stop it!  Please!”
 
"Look what you did!" Cleo said kneeling to comfort Alik. Even as her conscience was telling her that she was as much at fault as Orphen was. She shouted first.
 
Orphen released the breath in a loud exhale before spluttering, "What do you mean I did?  Wait a minute…"
 
Hartia stood and put his hand on Orphen's shoulder, "You'll never win this turn in the argument." To Orphen's surprise, he saw both Majic and Devon nodding in agreement.
 
As she comforted Alik, Cleo looked up at Orphen with a promise in her eyes, which said quite clearly that the discussion wasn't over. She also glared at Hartia and Devon. She cuddled the boy, who she realized was trembling, but not with cold. In a soothing voice she said. "That's okay, the Egotistical over-protective men will be quieting down now so you can sleep."
 
"What's egotistical?"
 
"You'll understand when you're older."
 
"Is that one of the sex things?"
 
Suddenly the men all found something to do elsewhere, quickly excusing themselves to go back and get the forgotten items back at the bathing area.
 
"Chickens." Cleo muttered.
 
There was a trio of "Kluck, Kluck, Kluck's" in familiar voices followed by their laughter.
 
In spite of herself, Cleo started grinning, "No it's not." She whispered the definition to him.
 
"Oh, you mean like Devon."
 
"Thanks a lot Bro. Love you too," came Devon's voice from just outside the light of the fire.
 
"Mom called you and…” Alik paused and took a deep breath, then continued, “and Dad that all the time but she never explained what it meant."
 
"Actually I was talking about the black leather cladded… oh, never mind. Enough talk it's time to go back to sleep." Cleo softly told Alik as she settled him back into his bed roll.
 
"Mom and Dad fought like you and Orphen. It feels right.” Alik whispered, reflexively clutching the covers Cleo'd tucked up near his chest. “Um… If I woke up at night Mom always sang me a lullaby, can you sing me one?"
 
"Do you have a favorite?"
 
"Lullaby, Good Night my Angel." (A/N the song I'm referring to is a Billy Joel song)
 
Cleo knew the song and as she started singing, she was struck with how appropriate it was for Alik who needed the reassurance, but in a way for her unspoken promise to Orphen. Her voice wobbled a couple of times when she nearly cried, but from how Alik was relaxing, she doubted he noticed.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
While Cleo sang the others returned to camp and their bedrolls, everyone relaxing until someone said something to break the spell.
 
"I'm going to have to remember to have you sing for me after we're married." Devon said grabbing the food bag to secure it for the night.
 
Orphen, who'd been enjoying Cleo's singing too and was surprised she had such a good voice, snapped out of his trance. He stood up and Majic handed him the rope as he passed before he grabbed Devon by the collar dragging him to the edge of camp. He whispered to Devon, “Any noise you'll disturb Alik and Cleo will blame you.”
 
He came back alone a few minutes later to see Cleo getting into her bedroll after giving Alik a final cuddle. Even though Hartia was sitting up, he and Majic had settled back in their bedrolls leaving the one next to Cleo vacant. Not wanting to cause any more fireworks this night, Orphen simply walked up and got into his bedroll. “Devon's on first watch duty.”
 
“You didn't actually…” Hartia asked.
 
“Of course not. He's putting the food up.”
 
“I'll help.” Hartia replied getting back up.
 
Cleo shifted in her bedroll and reached out for his hand. He took her questing hand with his own. She whispered, "I'm sorry. But I'm not a porcelain doll. I honestly thought I was going insane, I'd sense the danger and then it was gone before I could tell you or anyone."
 
"I should have told you or asked the Wolven to pass along the message instead of demanding their silence. I don't have an excuse except to say that you admitted you were scared earlier, I was trying to figure out a way to let you know without worrying you further." Orphen leaned towards her and kissed her lightly on the forehead. "By the way Vixen, you sing nice." He said so softly while he was rolling over that Cleo wasn't certain she really heard him.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
*The song referred to in this chapter was written by Billy Joel for his daughter.
 
As always, I hope you enjoyed the story and I thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedules to read my story.  If you include your E-mail or sign-in under your profile I do try to respond personally.  And since it's important to acknowledge those who take the time to review, I'm doing my usual general thank you to all reviewers: Ahlora102090. The Black Crow, CelestaRedFlower, CLEAO girl, Faery Pink Sparkle, F-zelda, Irondevil, Kanchan Singh, Kyo Akiyamako, Madam Spooky, Orphan chica, Palmtree, Rin Siren, Sasha and Starrynight