Speed Racer Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Love, Life, and Reincarnations ❯ Summer Vacation ( Chapter 18 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

“The time has come to say good-bye.”
 
Topaz-hued eyes skimmed over the picture display then at the open house invitation. A soft groan escaped Sesshomaru as he did so. His mother, it had seemed, opted to go for some rather embarrassing pictures of him to display for his graduation open house. Pictures of him with spaghetti sauce smeared all over his face, taking a bubble bath . . . though there weren't any pictures of him naked in a bucket. He'd seen what his great-aunt had done to one of his cousins for her open house invitation. Pictures of now and then . . . and his aunt had the naked-baby-in-the-bucket picture done. He was nearly four when his parents had adopted him, making it impossible for them to have his picture done like that.
 
`But Ryan and Inuyasha had their pictures done like that,' he thought, a light smirk gracing his features. `So did Anna . . . Not that Mother would ever do anything like that to them . . . She has stories . . .'
 
Again, his eyes skimmed over the display and invitation. Granted, it had the potential to embarrass him but found that it truly didn't. If anything, he was proud of what he was seeing. His father and his youngest brother had put a lot of effort into the artwork that adorned the sides of the cardboard display and around the pictures. His sister had even taken the time to write a poem, which had been written in calligraphy by Little Ryan. In all, it had truly been a family effort, their testament to their love for him . . . and their love for annoying him.
 
`The things and the lengths they'll go to . . .' he shook his head. `How did I end up with such a crazy family?'
 
“Hey, twerp.”
 
The sound of the all-so-familiar feminine voice cut through his thoughts, startling him some. But he'd come to expect that from Pizzazz. After all, the dark-haired singer loved it when she could sneak up on him. It was a rarity and small victory for her when she could take him by surprise.
 
“Hey, Pizzazz,” he smiled, turning to face her. He gave her a quick hug then returned his gaze to the display before him. She wrapped an arm around his shoulders. “How are things going?”
 
“Eh, same old, same old, really,” she shrugged. “Your mom's got us scheduled for a bunch of photo shoots and time in the recording studio. She even wants us to play at your open house.”
 
“I can imagine,” Sesshomaru chuckled. “She really does want it to feel like a party. How do you feel about it, though?”
 
“I actually don't mind,” Pizzazz replied. “Considering everything your family has done for us, it's the least we could do.”
 
She leaned forward at that moment, her gaze focusing on one picture in particular. When she saw what it was, she chuckled again. The picture itself was of the Misfits with he and his siblings. It had been taken the summer after Inuyasha had been diagnosed with diabetes, and six months after the Misfits had fired Eric Raymond as their manager and had hired his mother. Pizzazz had stated then, and the year before, that she couldn't stand children yet she had done very well being around him and his brothers and sister.
 
As she looked at the picture, Pizzazz let out a soft sigh.
 
“Man, I can't believe that you're graduating high school already. It just seems like yesterday that you were this fourteen-year-old snot that no one could impress.”
 
Sesshomaru laughed at that.
 
“Yeah, I guess I was hard to impress . . .”
 
“You still are, kiddo,” Pizzazz turned her gaze to him. “You still are.”
 
“Oh? How do you figure?”
 
“Because you have a stubborn streak a mile wide . . . because your mother has told me about how Speed Racer's oldest daughter has been pursuing you yet you don't even look in her direction . . . If I understand anything about that family at all, it's the drive and desire to win and be the best. It has to be driving that girl crazy, you not even giving her the time of day.”
 
“There's more to it than my not being impressed with her,” Sesshomaru murmured. “It goes deeper than that. Much deeper.”
 
“I know,” the singer smiled wanly. “I know.”
 
* * *
 
“Summer's coming. Get ready to shine.”
 
The sounds of a guitar being strummed caught her attention. Sure, she had heard guitars being played before. She was a teenager and prone to excited fits over the latest fads in music and movies. It was the fact that it was coming from the O'Connell garage that had caught her attention. Cautiously, Kagome approached the opened garage doors and peered inside. Her eyes widened at what she saw.
 
Sitting on a stool, an acoustic guitar in his lap, was Inuyasha. His dark hair had been pulled back into a low tail, his head lowered as he concentrated on his music. The tune itself had a rather lively beat, and it appeared that he didn't even notice her as she approached. Awed, Kagome stood in the doorway, intent on listening and losing herself in the music.
 
“I heard you were sick a lot.”
 
“Huh?”
Her heart jumped into her throat at those simple words, and she had to refrain from startling. She noticed that he didn't even look up from the guitar. He just kept on playing.
 
“I heard you were sick a lot. That's how come you're not a senior this year.”
 
“Who told you that I'd been sick a lot?”
 
“Those friends of yours from Japan,” he replied. “I've heard them talk . . . they kept saying how it was a miracle that you were still able to move with everything that had been wrong with you.”
 
“Oh,” Kagome smiled nervously, her cheeks burning. “Yeah. I was . . .”
 
“I see . . . How much of it's really true? The illnesses you had, I mean . . .”
 
Kagome blinked. His tone had been quiet, calm . . . quite unlike the Inuyasha she'd gotten used to. There had even been a hint of disbelief in his voice.
 
“Uh, well . . . it's . . . complicated . . .”
 
“You weren't really sick then, were you?”
 
“Not all the time, no,” Kagome shook her head. “There was a situation I had to deal with and it ate a lot of my time. The illnesses were my grandfather's way of trying to be discreet about what was going on.”
 
“And what was going on?” His gaze finally rose to meet hers, violet eyes glimmering with interest. Kagome opened her mouth to say something then remembered the promise that she had made Kagura at the beginning of spring break. A promise that she didn't dare break. A promise that had to do with keeping Inuyasha's present life intact. She then sighed and shook her head.
 
“It isn't really something I want to talk about . . . it wasn't exactly the most pleasant of situations and I ended up losing someone very dear to me.”
 
“Oh . . . sorry to hear about that . . .”
 
“It's all right,” she shook her head dismissively. “You didn't know. Besides, it isn't like this person has truly left me. I carry his memory around with me everywhere I go.”
 
He smiled a little at that.
 
“Sounds like something my mother would say.”
 
“Really,” Kagome folded her arms as a light smile touched her lips. “That's . . . good to hear.”
 
“Yeah . . . she's really cool about a lot of things. Strict . . . but still cool.”
 
`I'm glad you think so,' Kagome thought as he stood up and put his guitar away. `Because I sure don't think so . . . not if she's keeping your past away from you.'
 
“Well, Kagome,” he stated, straightening his back. A mischievous light had entered his eyes. “I'd love to stand here and talk with you some more but I have to get going. My mom's going to be home any minute and I need to get ready for work. I'll see you around, okay?”
 
Before she could say anything more, he disappeared into the house, guitar case in hand. Kagome watched him go then slowly tore herself away. Summer was starting and she had no idea as to what she was going to do with herself. America was still a strange and unusual place for her and with the quest over . . .
 
`I'll find something,' she swore to herself. `One way or another, I'll find something.'
 
She continued on her way.
 
* * *
 
“I've got sunshine . . . on a cloudy day . . .”
 
Wood smashed against wood as the three O'Connell boys sparred in a two-to-one match in the front yard. Around them were family and friends, everyone celebrating a once-in-a-lifetime event: Sesshomaru's high school graduation. Speed couldn't believe the number of people that he was seeing. Relatives from near and far had traveled for this moment. It was turning out to be quite the party, and it was for only one person. Of course, he and his family were there because Sesshomaru had extended invitations to Greg and Catherine, and to his parents. Danielle, much to her chagrin and dismay, had not received one. His eyes traveled to where the three boys were swinging their wooden swords, his eyes widening.
 
`I've seen some outstanding fights in my time but nothing like this! This is . . . absolutely unbelievable!'
 
There was no denying that all three boys had an air of grace about them. All motion was fluid, every thrust, every parry . . . despite their youth, the boys had experience in fighting. It simply astounded him to see it. In spite of his awe, however, Speed felt that no one could compete with his oldest son when it came down to fighting. He'd taken it upon himself to teach all of his children how to fight, and he felt himself to be more than a capable fighter. His skills, after all, had saved his and Trixie's lives on more than one occasion.
 
As he watched the boys spar, he noticed, from the corner of his eye, the way his oldest daughter kept her eyes glued on Sesshomaru. Austen, Sesshomaru's girlfriend, was at one of the tables, talking with Torie and not even paying attention to what her beau was doing. The two females were laughing about something. Speed heard them from where he stood. Not for the first time, he wondered how come Sesshomaru stayed with Austen, especially when it was obvious she wasn't even interested in what skills he possessed.
 
`He's a strange child, that's for sure.'
 
Quietly, he made his way towards Danielle. Once he reached her, he tapped her lightly on the shoulder. Pale green eyes met his and she smiled.
 
“Hey, Daddy . . . isn't he magnificent?”
 
Of course, “he” happened to be Sesshomaru . . . who was now down to one sparring partner. Inuyasha had somehow been eliminated from the competition.
 
“He is,” Speed agreed somewhat reluctantly. “I'm sure your brother could best him in a fight, though.”
 
“Probably . . . but then again, maybe not. It's very hard to say . . .”
 
For a moment, Speed just watched his daughter as she watched the oldest O'Connell boy continue to spar with his brother. There was no doubt in his mind that she was in love. He just hoped that she didn't end up with a broken heart.
 
`Only time will tell,' he thought, leaving her be and heading for refreshment table. He'd seen a rather prominent businessman there, talking with Ryan O'Connell, and he wanted to catch the man before he left. Speed had some major plans for the summer. He had a prominent family to compete with, after all.
 
The summer was starting to heat up.