Speed Racer Fan Fiction ❯ Wheels and Raspberries ❯ Chapter Two: Racer Love ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Wheels And Raspberries
Chapter 2: Racer Love
 
Raspberry took her helmet off which released her wavy red hair and followed her uncle into the dining room.
“Hello,” she said smiling. “Sorry to interrupt…”
“Roselyn, is that you?” Mom said leaving the table to greet her only niece. “Oh honey you're so big! The last time I saw you, you were just a little baby!” she said giving her a little kiss on the forehead. Raspberry smiled, “Dad was right, Uncle and his family are nice!”
“Well kids, come say hello to your cousin!” Pops said looking at the bunch sitting at the table appearing dumbfounded. Speed was the first to get up and approach the reunion. Raspberry gasped wide-eyed.
“Oh my gosh! YOU'RE SPEED RACER!!” Raspberry said mouth agape. “NO WAY, WE'RE RELATED?!?”
“Were we really that distant?” Pops said looking at his wife. Mom shrugged at the thought.
“Yes honey, this is your cousin,” Mom said smiling at her jumpy niece.
“Are you really my cousin? Oh this is so cool!” Raspberry said starting to hop in place. “You are my hero! When I had my racecar I used to have a bumper sticker that said “What Would Speed Racer Do?” Ah Michelle's not going to believe this!” she continued on in pure excitement.
“Wow, it sounds like you're a really big fan!” Pops said smiling. Pops felt really proud when he saw fans of his son, even if it was just a distant relative.
“You bet! This is going to sound funny, but I even used to pray that I meet him one day. And now I find out that he is of my blood, that's so cool!” she replied.
“Well honey, you both have the same last name, you didn't think that you might've been related?” Mom asked.
“Well no… There are plenty of people with the same last name, but no relation,” Raspberry said; her spirit finally calming down to the fact that Speed is her cousin.
“That's exactly what I said,” Trixie said as she approached with Sparky and Spritle. “Hi, I'm Trixie, one of your biggest fans!” she replied hoping that Speed didn't mind.
“A fan? You've heard of me here, too?” Raspberry replied.
“Are you kidding? You're only the most awesome motorcycle racer around! I saw you take the win at the Corazon SuperMotor race two weeks ago, it was so awesome!” Trixie exclaimed.
“Wow, I didn't know I was popular around here… I thought I just got attention up north,” Raspberry said in amazement.
“Keep racing the way you are and the whole world will know your name!” Sparky said coming to shake her hand.
“Are they my cousins, too?” Raspberry turned to Mom.
“No these are Speed's friends, Trixie and Sparky,”
“But they might as well be your cousins. They spend so much time around here, they might as well be family,” Pops said. Trixie and Sparky gave a sheepish smile.
“My name is Spritle and this is Chim Chim!” Spritle said like a little school boy introducing himself to the class.
“Hi Spritle!” Raspberry brought her had up for a wave and ended up dropping her helmet. “Woops,”
“Oh goodness, why are we all just standing here?” Mom said realizing almost everyone was just standing in the door way. “Come sit down with us, Raspberry! Are you hungry?” Her stomach answered that question with a grumble loud enough for everyone to hear.
“Heh-heh, I skipped a few meals while I was on the road…” Raspberry said sheepishly.
“Oh Raspberry, go ahead and sit down. I'll bring out a plate and I'll take care of this,” Mom said picking her helmet up and putting it on the kitchen counter while Raspberry joined the family at the table.
“So Raspberry, did you have a good run over here?” Pops said motioning to sit down.
“Yes, I did! Oh that reminds me…” she replied. “Hey Uncle, do you mind if I park my bike in the garage? I have all of my luggage in the sidecar,”
Pops opened up the garage for the Speed Demon to park inside. Attached to it was a sidecar that held about 3 bags of luggage. Pops looked over the motorcycle that was said to have won Raspberry some great races; a motorcycle that his own brother had designed himself.
“Wow, so that's the Speed Demon…I always wanted to see it up close,” Sparky said. He never really knew much about motorcycles, but he loved the piece of machinery that the girl he highly admired raced.
“Yup, that's my iron horse! I really don't like bragging, but the Speed Demon has taken me to victory and back. I have my father to think for it…” Raspberry said. A pang of sadness shot through her heart as she mentioned her father, but she only continued to smile as Spritle and Chim Chim pretended to drive it.
“Hey Pops, can I have a motorcycle, too?” Spritle asked already knowing the answer.
“Spritle…” Pops replied in warning tone.
“Pops, kids! Everyone your dinner is getting cold!” Mom said approaching the crowd that once again left the dinner table.
“Yes, Mom!” everyone replied at the same time.
As they gathered around a rather crowded dinner table, the family got more acquainted with their long lost Racer (No, I'm not talking about Racer X! XD). Speed was relieved that she didn't show any signs of being a rebel girl as he thought earlier that day. As a matter of fact, he found she was a whole lot sweeter than she seemed. Before long, it would be time to say goodbye to Sparky and Trixie.
“Alright Sparky, I'll see you here at the factory tomorrow…” Pops said in salutation.
“Gotcha Pops!” he replied as he got into his car. He drove off as the rest of the family except for Speed and Trixie headed inside.
“Tell Mom thanks for the meal it was delicious,” Trixie said stretching. Speed found himself following her to her car. “And Raspberry is very sweet and funny! I always thought she'd be a little stuck up, you know from all the fame she's been getting…”
“Is that what you think of me? I've been getting pretty popular too you know…” Speed joked.
“I know, but I also know that you have a good head on your shoulders. You don't race for fame or money, you race because it's your passion,” she said leaning against her car. Speed smiled bashfully at her remark. That's why I'm so in love with you…Trixie thought in her head.
“Well it's getting late and I should get going…” Trixie said after a brief moment of silence.
“Wait, when will I see you again?” Speed said. Trixie laughed as it sounded like something from a cheesy romance movie.
“Well, I was wondering if you wanted to go to the park on Friday. I'll make a picnic lunch and I'll bring a deck of cards so we can have a game of Speed,”
“Ooo, I love your lunches!” he said loving the idea. “And you always beat me at Speed!”
“I do not!”
“Do too!” he replied like a ten year old. “When's the last time you lost to me?”
“When I gave you a break!” Trixie said laughing. “I guess you're not as fast as you think you are,”
“Oh that was low,”
“Oh Speed,” she said laughing. “Well I'll call you tomorrow ok?” she said getting into her car and starting it up.
“Alright, `night Trixie…” Speed for some reason, wished she wouldn't leave. He walked up the path leading to the front door. He stopped to see Trixie driving off before entering his home.
You'll see her again on Friday, Speed. Why do you feel so down? He asked himself as he walked to his room. From the doorway he could see Raspberry putting away her clothes in the closet space that he had made for her and Mom making sure the air mattress had enough air.
“Ok…I think this thing is all set for you, Raspberry,” Mom said adjusting the sheets on the air bed.
“Looks real cozy Auntie, thanks!” she replied putting her last bits of clothing away. Mom noticed Speed standing at the door staring into space.
“Honey, are you ok?” Mom said snapping Speed from his daydream.
“Huh? Oh…yeah…I'm fine, just thinking…” he said running his fingers through his dark hair.
“You seemed to be daydreaming all day, I wonder what of…” Mom said pinching his chin to make him smile. You can't hide it from me, son…I know lovesickness when I see it! Mom thought as she made her way out. “Goodnight you two…”
“Goodnight!” they both replied together. Raspberry shut the closet door then proceeded to make a crash landing on the air bed. “Oh gosh what a day…” she said stretching; she still didn't feel tired even after nearly 18 hours on the road with few pit stops.
Speed closed the door to “their” bedroom and plopped himself down on his bed without a word. His silence was getting to Raspberry; she hoped that he didn't think badly of her in any way.
“Hey Speed? You don't think bad of me…do you?” Raspberry asked. This was based on the fact that he hardly spoke at dinner. Either something really caught his mind or he didn't like the attention that she was getting…
“Hm? Oh no! I wouldn't think badly of you at all! It's just….” Speed wondered if he confide in her with what he wanted to get off his chest. The voice in his head screamed Trust her, she may actually help you! “There's just been a lot on my mind…” he continued after an awkward silence.
“Join the club…” Raspberry said with a smile. “But by the way you're acting, it seems more like someone is on your mind, not something…” she looked at a picture on his nightstand. It was a high school graduation picture of him and Trixie holding up their diplomas. “Sorry for me being nosey, but how long have you and Trixie known each other?”
“Don't get the wrong idea; Trixie and I are just best friends,” it felt wrong for him to say that; painfully wrong. Raspberry caught on to that, so she continued her interrogation.
“Oh?”
“Yeah, a lot of people think that we're an item because we're always together and she's been my navigator more than enough times. But truthfully and honestly we're just best friends…” another dagger shot through his heart, sharper than the one before.
“Well in case you didn't know, that's not really the question I asked,” Raspberry replied sitting up on her elbow to face him on his bed. “I noticed your graduation picture…” she said coming up with a lie quickly.
“Oh, well I first met Trixie in elementary school. Some kid was teasing me about my father; of course this kid was the prime son of a rival motor company. So when he said too much, she came right up and punched him square in the nose. I didn't even know who she was,” he smiled recalling the memory.
“What happened then?” Raspberry said acknowledging that this little story was cute and very interesting.
“Well, the kid ran off with a bloody nose and Trixie ended up in detention. But I stayed with her because she did it on my behalf, so it felt like the right thing to do,” he replied sitting up. Raspberry gave a small “aw”.
“Why did she do it if you two didn't know each other yet?”
“She told me she was just tired of hearing all this awful stuff about me and my father from other kids…So I guess the last straw broke when that ugly kid said too much to me…” he pulled the little drawer out on his nightstand and took out a little photo album that said My Senior Year and began to flip through it's pages. Raspberry came up to see it with him as she listened. “We were the best of friends all through high school; we were always there for each other. For instance, I had suffered a huge breakup with a girl named Sophie. It was over when she ditched me at our senior prom for some other guy,”
“Oh man, that's the pits…” Raspberry said.
“Yeah, I felt stupid just being a wallflower so I tried to head out the door, when Trixie stopped me. She said she'd be my escort since her prom date left her, too. And you know what's ironic?”
“What?” Raspberry asked, really enjoying the story.
“My girl left with her guy,” Speed said.
“Wow, that's awful…” she couldn't help but laugh, Speed laughed with her since now it ended up as a silly memory. He then turned the pages of the photo book to a rather large current picture of Trixie.
“For some reason, I'm starting to worry about her a lot more. I guess it's because she's just moved into a new apartment and she's all alone. I call her just about every night just to make sure she's ok,” he slammed the book shut trying to shove out a certain thought. It made Raspberry jump, she knew there was something he was leaving out. He looked at his alarm clock and he got mad when he realized what time it was. “Damn, I wanted to call her, but I think it's already too late,”
Raspberry moved back over to the air mat on the floor. Speed just lay back on his bed staring at the ceiling. “I'm sure she's ok, Speed. How about you call her when you get up?” she asked trying to sooth his rising worry.
“I don't think I'll even be able to sleep,”
“Why not?” Raspberry asked, already knowing the answer.
“I don't know, I guess I'm just worried about her too much. I guess you can say I really…” there was a pause as Speed couldn't find the right words.
“Love her?” Raspberry said; she knew those were the only words that fit that sentence.
“What?” he replied taken back.
“Do you love her, Speed?” Raspberry asked, this time more serious. The more times those words went through his head, the more absolute and correct it sounded. The pain in his chest even eased up as he finally gave in.
“I do…”
“Hm?” Raspberry asked wanting to hear him admit it proudly.
“I love her…I love Trixie…” he said beginning to smile. Butterflies fluttered in his stomach as his heart did back flips in pure joy. It was almost as if his soul was saying Yay! He figured it out! “I don't believe it, I'm in love! I've fallen in love with my best friend, Trixie!”
“Wow! Is this the first time you're admitting that to yourself?” Raspberry exclaimed trying to keep her voice down.
“That's why I've been feeling so weird when she was around, lately. I couldn't even stand to see her leave tonight,”
“Aw, this is so cool! I witnessed a very special confession!” Raspberry said as quietly as she could; excitement seemed to pour over her as she witnessed what seemed to be a very interesting love story.
“Please don't tell her!” Speed's voice filled with panic; he figured he might seriously freak her out if he told her his feelings. They were only friends, nothing more than that. Even when people had thought they were going out they always made sure to correct them by saying they were just best friends. Speed had even told the press that she was more like a sister to him, though for some unknown reason it hurt him to say something like that. It felt like he was telling everybody a horrible lie. She meant more to him than that, but he didn't want to admit it.
“I wouldn't tell her Speed,” Raspberry said snapping him out of his thoughts. “Something special like this needs ultra special care. Trixie oughtta hear that you love her from you, yourself…It would mean nothing coming out of MY mouth, or anyone else's for that matter,”
“Does that mean you'll keep your mouth shut?” he asked hoping he could trust her.
“Of course!” her eyes gave off that she was serious about everything she just said which put Speed at ease. “Though I'd really love to see the moment when you confess to her!”
“That's just it,” Speed said; a deeper sort of pain seemed to rise in his chest.
“Hm?” Raspberry replied a little confused.
“I wouldn't know how to tell her…”
“Ah, the shyness bug. Just do what they did in that one story The Love Note, go to the beach and playfully shove her into the water and then let her drag you in. Then start splashing and playing around like little kids until you catch her eyes in a loving stare. Then let out your big secret and kiss her!” Raspberry said playfully. The thought of kissing Trixie almost made Speed's heart stop.
“You read stuff like that?” Speed said getting over the brief shock. He didn't think that she would get into mushy stuff like that.
“Not really,” she replied. “My dad was watching the movie version of it on T.V. one day. He always watched movies like that when it was his and my mom's wedding anniversary, even after my mom had passed away. So I just happened to sit and watch it with him,”
“I couldn't tell her I love her,”
“You have to! Otherwise, you'll spend the rest of your life wondering what could've been,”
“Yeah but,”
“No buts!” she responded before he could finish. “Speed, you don't have to make it fancy or even romantic. I'm pretty sure she's wondering why you've been acting a little strange, and I know this is why, so just tell her that this has been on your mind. And if it starts to freak her out, just simply apologize. She's a very good friend of yours, like your sister right? I'm sure she'll understand if she doesn't feel the same way…”
“You really think it's that easy?” Speed said getting annoyed.
“I know it's not easy,” Raspberry said, the serious level in her voice rose. “When you really want something that's precious, you know it isn't going to be easy to come by. But you do what you can to try and obtain it; that goes for anything,”
Speed sighed; she was right. He and Trixie were inseparable since the second grade. They remained great friends all throughout school and picked each other up when they were down. And lately, he has found a whole new affection for his best friend; a really powerful crush that caused him not to sleep at night until he knew that he would see her again very soon.
“I just hope…it doesn't create any awkward feeling between us…” Speed said.
“It might…but at least you know you tried…” Raspberry said closing her eyes. Speed smiled as he closed his.
“Thanks Raspberry,”
“No problem…”
After 2 hours of tossing and turning, Raspberry decided to take a ride on her motorcycle out to the sea shore. A lot has happened in the last 48 hours and it was beginning to overwhelm her. She reached into her pocket for a cigarette and lit it up. The recent events continued to race in her head as she smoked. The young girl prayed that little cancer stick would calm her nerves before they were shot.
In the distance, the familiar motor of a certain black and yellow racecar could be heard. It came to a stop right where Raspberry was parked; she then began to pray that it wasn't trouble…