Spirited Away Fan Fiction ❯ Spirited Within ❯ Providing Acceptance ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

With a cold, detached expression planted firmly on his face, Haku, and the invisible Chihiro clutching his arm, joined the spirits walking along the path to the bridge. Strolling impassive with his head held high, Haku barely glanced at the two frogs that were stationed at the beginning of the bridge. He decided to publicize his return.
He announced emotionless to them, “I'm back from my mission.”
One frog bowed to him and replied, “Welcome back, Master Haku.” Chihiro remained next to him, silent, wide eyed, and undiscovered. So far, so good.
The bridge was coming closer and closer. Haku felt a nervous twitch run through his stomach. Chihiro's breath was coming in short gasps as if wondering when to hold it.
Haku knew she was his responsibility. If she got caught and was killed by Yubaba, then her death would be on his head. He promised himself and the nature around him he'd take care of her, and he would live up to that promise.
The bridge was coming closer and closer.
“Take a deep breath.” He whispered, so soft that he wondered if she had heard him at all. He felt her chest expand against his back.
“Hold it.” He said swiftly and even more quietly than before. Her hand clamped fast over her mouth and nose.
There was noise all around Haku, but the complete silence from her was deafening. He was already so use to the sound of her natural human resonance. Having that hushed disturbed him greatly. Her footsteps pounding in steps with his became the only sound issuing from as she fastened her grip tighter on Haku's arm. Spirits all around them marched, flew, and glided, completely ignorant of the human child beside them. Haku felt the nervous knot in his stomach loosen as they passed with ease through the center of the bridge.
But just when he was rejoicing about maybe making it through, he heard a muffled squeak come from Chihiro. She was starting to turn an unnatural shade from lack of air. Her eyes were big; her cheeks, puffy. The tense knot came back with full force as he felt her struggle against his arm.
“Hang on.” He whispered encouragingly, trying not to display his own fear. “Almost there.” Her grip was becoming painfully tight.
They were very close now. Very close. The beautiful slugs stood flashing their bright painted faces and colorful swirling kimonos right in front of him. He just had to reach past them and he and Chihiro would be in the clear. Haku increased his walking speed slightly.
Just a little closer….
“Master Haku! Where ya been?” The silence was broken so fast that Haku didn't think to react. Chihiro jumped back startled as a young frog bounded toward them.
She gasped for breath.
The shock and surprise lasted for two to three seconds. Unfortunately, it was long enough for the little frog to get a good look at the human behind him. Landing on the ground in front of them, the youthful frog stared in surprise and alarm.
“What? A human!” it screeched.
Haku's heart stopped as all his thoughts closed. His instinct kicked in as the frog sprang up for a closer look. He reacted so fast that he didn't know what spell he invoked. Lifting his hand with inhuman speed, Haku immobilized the frog in midair. He released the power within him and a black bubble surrounded the leaping creature.
“Let's go!” He shouted and grabbed Chihiro's hand. Using this dragon speed to fly through the crowds, he whipped by the welcoming committee like the wind he was so acquainted to. Haku swiftly pulled Chihiro to the back gate that was hidden from view by the greeters. The speed of his flight lifted the slug's skirts, which made them giggle and shriek.
Landing smoothly, but swiftly on the ground, Haku opened the back door quickly, gently pushed her through, and slipped in behind her. The door closed with a silent snap.
Quietly, Haku immediately turned and grabbed her hand again. Running through the many flower bushes and small trees, Haku heard Chihiro start panting behind him. He slowed his pace and continued to lead the way until they reached a rock shown path. Haku felt the spell on the frog release and the power returned to him instantly. No doubt the frog was going to tell everyone of the human it had seen. Now it would be even harder for Chihiro to get in. She needed someone to lead her through safely up to the top in order to beg for a job from Yubaba. But who?
Haku led the way down the stone path until they reached the Eastern side door. Crouching behind a huge thorn bush, Haku looked up from the shrub to see the workers running around calling his name. They were searching for him, and Chihiro.
“They know you're here.” He muttered disappointingly. He couldn't believe that he put her in so much danger. How could he have thought she could hold her breath for that long? How could he have not come up with a better solution? He could have flown her in easier then what he just did. Remembering her fear stricken eyes, Haku knew that it wouldn't have worked even if he's tried. She would have been screaming the entire ride. `At least then she'd have been safe.' Haku thought bitterly.
“I know. I'm sorry. I took a breath.” Her sweet voice broke his thoughts and he looked into her remorseful eyes, startled. How could she think that this was her fault? Her guilty face confused him.
It was right then that he realized that he had his arm around her again. `Why does it keep doing that?' he thought, confused. Looking at the poor shivering girl covered by his draping limb, he decided to gather her closer. She blushed slightly.
“No, Chihiro.” He reassured her gently. “You did very well.” Behind him, the employees ran around the bathhouse; calling his name. Haku wondered what to do about the situation. As much as he didn't want to, Chihiro had to get to Kamaji on her own. Getting her to Yubaba will be extremely difficult now that everyone was on the look out for a human. Haku was betting on Kamaji to think of something.
“Listen carefully to what I tell you to do.” Haku commanded kindly. Her eyes matched his as they betrayed her curiosity. Haku saw only little fear and smiled to himself. `She is a brave girl.' He thought, proudly.
“You can't stay here. They'll find you. And you'll never get to rescue your parents.” Haku listened again to the door and still heard rumblings of footsteps coming from the stairs. `They'll check out here soon enough. I wonder if Yubaba is angry at my absence.' Haku thought for a moment before deciding on an action. `I can divert Yubaba's attention from Chihiro. Though Yubaba will sense the disturbance of her bathhouse, she will be too interested in my mission results. First, I need to calm down the employees. If they continue this mad search, then one of them is most likely going to come out here.'
“I'll create a diversion for you to escape.” Haku told her, yet right when the words had left his mouth, Chihiro's fear came back full force. Haku didn't want to leave her, but he knew he had to.
“No, don't leave me!” She cried, forcefully pulling on Haku's arm to keep him from moving away. “I don't want to be alone.”
Her confession made Haku's heart melt. She trusted him. She wanted him to stay. For as long as Haku could remember living at the bathhouse, he had never had anyone say they liked him. That they wanted him around at all. Haku had never had anyone who actually liked him before. As he gazed into her desperate eyes, Haku felt warmth spread through his stomach. Chihiro truly desired him to stay. Wanted his presence.
The thorn bush covering them sighed in obvious pleasure. Suddenly annoyed, Haku restrained himself from hissing at its obvious scrutinizing.
“You don't have any choice if you want to help your parents.” Haku responded rudely. Immediately, Haku wished he could take it back. He didn't mean for his voice to be that rough, but the shrubs' hopeless romantic attitude had embarrassed him. His tone caused her to shrink back a little from him. `Good job, Haku.' He thought, bitterly. `Stupid thorn bushes.'
Trying to ignore the guilt swimming in his stomach, he continued where he felt off. “This is what you have to do.” She wasn't listening. Her eyes swirled with questions unanswered.
“They did turn into pigs. I wasn't dreaming.” She said faintly. Haku saw her eyes turn sad and she broke off her gaze from his face. The wind blew at her bangs, shyly as though it didn't know what to do.
Haku was at a loss too. He was afraid she'd start crying. He never reacted well to crying and always seemed to make things worse. Wanting to avoid the situation, Haku tried to get her back on task before it was too late.
“Don't worry.” He hoped sounded confident and reassuring. In order to have no more interruptions from her, Haku decided to talk to her through his thoughts. Carefully, he reached up a hand and stroked her bangs away from her forehead. He put two fingers on her smooth soft skin and was shocked to find how warm it felt. Was it natural for humans to be this warm?
“Now,” he said through a mind connection. “When things quiet down, go out through the back gate. Then go all the way down the stairs till you reach the boiler room, where they stoke the fires.” He showed her images through his finger contact. “There you will find Kamaji, the boiler man.”
“Kamaji?” She repeated, bewildered. Haku shook his head to confirm his words and removed his hand so he could continue with his mouth. “Tell him you want to work here, even if he refuses you must insist.” Haku knew Kamaji well and if she inquired after him for a job, he'd most likely make sure that she got one. Kamaji was known to have a soft spot for those in need. And cute things.
Haku paused a little, contemplating on whether he should tell her why she should get a job. He decided to go ahead. `Better her know now then find out later.'
“If you don't get a job,” he paused hesitantly. “Then Yubaba will turn you into an animal.” He checked her eyes instantly for the terror he expected.
There was none.
“Yubaba… huh…” Chihiro said as in an afterthought. Haku felt exceedingly surprised at her nonchalance at the threat she was in. `Her head did feel unnaturally warm.' He mused.
Wondering about her sanity, Haku said, “You'll see. She's the witch that rules the bathhouse.” `And me.' He added glumly in his mind.
“Kamaji will try to turn you away or trick you into leaving, but just keep asking for work.” He needed her to be strong in order to survive this. She can't back down. She can't give in.
“It will be hard work,” Chihiro looked worried at that comment. Haku almost grinned at that. `She is more afraid of work then of changing into an animal and being eaten.'
“But you'll be able to stay here. Then even Yubaba can't harm you.” He explained. She still had a nervous expression. He knew the time to leave her was coming.
Listening to the shouts still issuing from the house, Haku turned his head to see many of them running by the window. Calling his name out still, the employees franticly paced everywhere. He needed to depart now. One of them might come out here.
“I have to go.” He told her reluctantly.
It suddenly hit Haku that he might have to treat Chihiro as he treated the other employees. Usually, Haku disciplined and forced the workers to continue their jobs accordingly. In order to keep up an image at the bathhouse, Haku was often quite hard on them. He got a shiver of dread when he thought of treating poor, sweet, Chihiro like that. Having to be cruel to her. Even possibly… punish her…
He couldn't let Yubaba know that he was secretly helping Chihiro get out of this world. He had to keep up his image in order to save her from a life in the pig pin. Or more likely, the slaughter house.
Haku wondered what to tell her if such an incident arose. If he had to yell at her. If he had to chastise her innocent face. She would never trust him again. He had finally earned her confidence and he might loose it forever. She even wanted him to stay with her. To be with her so she wasn't alone. He finally had a friend.
Haku felt the wind push him in the direction of the door. Blowing his bangs around, he heard its voice telling him it was time to go.
“And don't forget, Chihiro… I'm your friend.” He hoped she wouldn't forget. He hoped she would forgive him if he had to do as he feared.
Haku got up to leave and felt her cool, small hand grab his arm. He turned back wondering what she could possibly be asking. He never knew what to expect with her.
“How did you know my name was Chihiro?” She asked, in a sweetly confused and inquisitive voice.
Her inquiry rang in his head. `How do I know her name?' he asked himself. `I know she has never been here before. I know that I can't have known her before, but… I'm sure… I've seen her. She was smaller though. Much smaller.'
Still thinking, Haku answered her the best way he knew how, “I've known you since you were very small.” He smiled lightly as her eyebrows raised a fraction. Haku stood still and studied her for a tiny moment and then turned to leave. He felt her hand slide off his arm as he brushed past the thorn bush. He gazed back at her to see her watching him with eyes sparkling with worry and tension.
“Good luck.” He whispered to her now shaking form. “And whatever you do, don't make a sound.” And with that, he left her.
He casually strolled towards the door and displayed his haughty expression he usually wore around the bathhouse. As he continued closer to the door, he decided to make his presence known.
“Calm down.” He demanded to the still yelling employees. “I'm coming.” He reached the door and shifted his shoes off his feet.
Resisting the urge to look back at the thorn bush, Haku stepped through the door and picked up his shoes from the ground.
He sensed the wind leave him quickly, as it never came inside the bathhouse. `Stay with her and guide her.' He prayed to it. The wind played with his hair and escaped through the door as it slid back in place with a snap.
“Master Haku,” one older slug addressed him. “Yubaba wants to see you.”
Haku already knew all of this and answered almost dully, “I know. It's about my mission, right?” The frog feverishly nodded and led the way through the wood paned hallways till it broke off into the elevator and stairwell.
Waiting for the lift to come, Haku couldn't help but be worried for her. She was too small to be left alone, yet here he was, leaving her to fend for herself in a world she knew nothing of. He knew he couldn't have stayed and that the wind would protect her, but Haku just felt for her so much that he couldn't stand her in danger. She had awakened a feeling in him he had not felt in years. Warmth that had been lost to him. In just the little time that he had been with Chihiro, Haku had felt more complete then anything this bathhouse could ever bring.
Just then, the lift doors opened to reveal Rin, one of the slug workers in the bathhouse.
Haku's hopes immediately lifted as he gazed upon her annoyed expression.
What made Rin so unique was her attitude. She was a hard worker and a leader in her field of employment, but she had a temper so quick to spring that she never took any precaution as to what she said. Yubaba would never get rid of her even though she talked back or refused certain orders. Rin was a valued worker and a much needed contracted slave to the bathhouse. Even if Rin wanted to leave, which she threatened to do several times a day, she never could.
Everyone was stuck here. Everyone belonged to Yubaba.
Immediately when Haku laid eyes on her, he knew she was the one he was looking for. She would be the one to lead Chihiro to Yubaba. Rin would help her just to be rebellious, or maybe just for the thrill.
The bathhouse was pretty boring.
“Get out of my way, Haku.” She barked, rudely. She brushed past him harshly and stomped forward, headed to her destination.
Haku wasn't even fazed.
He turned and called after her in a voice of cold steel. “Rin, I have a job for you.”
“Oh, no you don't, Haku!” She shot back, swiftly turning to face him. She glared at him meanly with her hands on her hips. “You think you can just boss me around just because your Yubaba's henchman, you got another thing coming!”
“These orders came from the top.” Haku lied, a stern tone hinted in his otherwise emotionless voice.
“I refuse, Haku! The last time you told me Yubaba said so, it was to scrub the filth ridden big tub which hadn't been cleaned in months! I did it all by myself too! I got slime all over me, Haku. All over me! It was all stuck in my hair and stained my good top! It took me days to scrub out! Days! I…”
“You don't even know to what these orders pertain to.” Haku interrupted, the sternness growing in his accent. “It's not for the big tub, Rin. All Yubaba wants you to do is feed Kamaji early.”
Rin visibly calmed by the news of no additional disgusting chores. She switched her face from annoyance to bewilderment. “Why?” she replied.
“Just do it.” Haku commanded. He hadn't thought of an explanation. It didn't matter anyways. She would do it.
“Fine.” She caved and turned again, whirling her hair around. “You owe me one, Haku!” She called after him as she headed left towards the kitchens. Haku sighed.
Chihiro would be safe with her. He knew it.
Turning around to the lift, Haku entered and reluctantly pulled the lever. His eyes followed the streaked paths through the wood as he waited for the top floor.
He had never liked this place. Not just because of his enslavement, but the bathhouse had required trees to build it. So much of nature got destroyed to make this…corruption. So much good and beauty was slaughtered to produce such petty machinery. It was moments like this that made Haku really detest himself. He had contributed to it, forced or not. Without his dirty work, Yubaba would have never made as much money as she did. With the money he earned her, she installed all types of modern equipment, such as this elevator. Haku had heard their screams of agony as more than a thousand trees lost their way to the shadows. As even more natural spirits lost their homes. They joined those of the forgotten, becoming those of the wandering spirit… and their corpses produced the fine mahogany lift that was wished for. He had seen them before; the wandering spirits of the forgotten trees. He knew of the tunnel that led out of Yubaba's office and down to the dank darkness where they dwelled now. She had locked them away so they couldn't come back to their rightful self. They couldn't rejoin with their natural majesty.
That's where she puts all the lost spirits that stood in her way.
`That's where she'll put me someday too.' Haku thought acrimoniously. `I belong with those lost nature gods. I belong with the disappeared and forgotten. And soon, I will join them in their darkness.'
An abrupt stop made Haku jump from his bitter musings. The lifts doors slid easily open revealing the dark hallway that was swallowed by shadows. Haku entered the gloom and walked the long corridor to Yubaba's apartment. As he got closer and closer, the light became brighter. The green tiled floor could be distinguished with intricate patterns and red showy jars could be seen lining the walls.
Stopping at the large wooden door, Haku almost hissed at the beautiful mahogany wood that covered it.
“Come in.” croaked a familiar voice.