Spirited Away Fan Fiction ❯ Spirited Within ❯ Locked Emotion ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Haku made his way once again down the dark hall to the brighter side of the hallway; the only difference being, he was no longer limping. Turning left to Yubaba's office, Haku instantly picked up the scent of Chihiro. Her distinct human smell trailed all the way through the hall, obviously to Yubaba's office.
She made it! She was here!
That was why Yubaba was so annoyed. Haku almost grinned at himself as he thought of the confrontation that must have happened between the two of them.
`I knew she had spunk.' Haku thought proudly. `But why did Yubaba summon me?'
Following the well-defined aroma, Haku braced himself for what he would have to do.
`You just have to convince everyone that you don't know her. That you don't care. You can do it, Haku. Just don't look at her face for too long or you'll break. Keep all eyes on Yubaba. Bury it, Haku… Bury the feelings.'
Taking in a deep breath, Haku shattered the tenderness he felt was shining so brightly in him. He locked it in his soul, and immediately his face became stone once again. This time, it wouldn't be broken. Not even by Chihiro.
His last tender thought of her was this: `Forgive me, my one and only friend… my Chihiro…'
Even before he approached the door, Haku heard muffled conversation coming through the wall. It was Yubaba's voice.
“So, your name is Chihiro?”
“Yes, ma'am.” peeped in Chihiro's voice.
“What a pretty name.” Yubaba said her voice dripped in mock friendliness. “And it belongs to me now.”
Haku put his hand on the door knob and turned it slowly in order to not create a sound. As he opened the heavy door silently, Yubaba's voice flooded the hallway he was still standing in.
“From now on your name is Sen.” Yubaba announced as Haku inaudibly entered the richly adorned room once again. “You got that?”
Neither Yubaba nor Chihiro had noticed him yet.
Haku took in the entire room in a glance. Yubaba was standing in front of her desk, which looked even more unorganized then it first did. Her eyes spelled defeat and annoyance.
Obviously, she had lost the battle.
Haku checked in his peripheral vision at Chihiro's little form. Her clothes looked more wrinkled. Her eyes had lost some of their light. Worn and tired from her journey to the top, she portrayed utter nervousness as she stood erect and stiff. Obviously, his spell on the berry had started to wear off. Her small hands were interlaced together as she stared at Yubaba with petrified watchfulness. She stood only a few feet from where Haku had laid only less than an hour ago; blinded by fire and striving to never give Yubabaher exact location.
It was quite ironic in a way.
“Answer me, Sen!” Yubaba commanded harshly.
“Yes, ma'am.” chirped Chihiro.
Haku's eyes remained tight and hard. Every feeling for Chihiro had been mashed into the lock of his soul. He kept his eyes on Yubaba as he announced emotionless:
“You called for me?”
As soon as the words were out of his mouth, Chihiro's head snapped to look at him. Her eyes sparkled with relief. He maintained blank and impassive as she gazed hopefully on his hard expression.
“This girl signed a contract. Set her up with a job.” Yubaba said almost bored like. She had lost her interest in the battle between Chihiro and the subject of Haku's betrayal to the bathhouse. She was a woman with many problems on her plate. Her mind engaged itself with the paperwork as it wondered over to the situation with Zeniba.
Fighting over disobeying dragons and annoying humans was the least of her worries.
Yet… she still wondered why the dragon had refused to give her an answer. Even after experiencing severe amounts of pain, he remained silent to her demanding inquires. There was more to this than meets the eye. Yubaba was certain of it.
He was up to something and she would watch him to see what he'd do.
Haku took in his order at once.
“Right.” He answered, mechanically. He shot his icy glare at Chihiro, who coward away confused at his gaze. Her heartbreaking eyes poured into his and he felt nothing.
“What is your name.” he asked in his harsh emotionless voice. He already knew her new identity, but she needed to figure out that Sen was her new label. Her slave title.
Her bondage.
“What?” She asked, taken back by surprise. “Chihi… oh!” She realized at once what he was referring to. “It's Sen.” She said sadly and her eyes left his as it trailed to the floor.
“Okay, Sen.” Addressing her by her new brand. “Follow me.” And with that, he turned and left the room.
Chihiro obediently trailed behind to the red corridor. The small pattering of her feet and distinct sound of her respiration made Haku tighten himself even more just incase his brace on his emotions were to quail. His lock didn't even budge at all. It remained securely tight.
Haku suspected Yubaba to be spying on him to see what he would do. Even though Yubaba's response to Chihiro getting a job had seemed nonchalant, Haku felt she would be suspicious to see how right she had been in questioning him. Was he truly helping this girl or had he been telling the truth the entire time?
Haku also knew that even if she didn't watch him, which was a slim to none chance, he wouldn't allow himself to take such risks.
So, instead of the jovial reunion that she obviouslythought would happen, instead of his own wish of hugging her tightly in his arms and telling her she was wonderful, that she is safe, that he was so proud of her, Haku strolled ahead of her, ignoring.
And he didn't feel anything.
Emotion was ceased.
Haku pulled on the huge heavy mahogany door that led out to the dark, shadowed hallway. Huge scarlet jars shed vast obscure gloom through the dimness of the corridor. He refused to hold the door open for her and just walked on through. It slammed wildly back to close, and almost knocked Chihiro over. Her small hand caught the handle and she struggled with its weight to make the opening wide enough for her.
Meanwhile, Haku continued on.
He didn't stop.
He didn't wait.
Chihiro caught up with him once he was already halfway down the hall. She stayed behind Haku for a second, contemplating, and then she sped her pace to match his. Walking by his side, she peeked curiously at his expressionless face, and let her gaze linger on his features. Haku's hard cold glare flashed into her eyes without turning his head. At his severe glance, she immediately retracted her sight and stared down at the decoratedgreen tile in confusion. Haku remained upright, not caring about anything at all.
He returned his stare forward and let his mind lock on one thing only: to find the foreman.
The foreman was supposed to handle situations that arose at the bathhouse when Haku or Yubaba were unapproachable. He handled the tips that the bathers gave to workers, helped with the welcoming committee, and also handed out jobs to those lucky new employees who had survived asking Yubaba for a job.
Of course, like most of the employees at the bathhouse, he was a selfish creature; only thinking about how to gain his own fortune. He abused his power mostly by taking the money rightfully earned by the workers own paycheck and stashing it in his own secret vault. Why Yubaba didn't take care of this drastic problem was of no concern to Haku. He never got money for what he did. Haku's payment was bread and butter and a nice, rotten wood balcony that faced the western sky.
In his opinion, that was all he needed.
The elevator came into view shortly and Haku halted in front of it. The silence filled the corridor as he waited with Chihiro for the lift to come. Standing side by side, Haku allowed himself to study her profile.
She was staring at the green tile again, her mouth shut tightly. Her bangs hung limply in her eyes as she continually followed the intricate patterns engraved in the ground. Her small frame was bent slightly as though weariness was coming. Her wrinkled clothing, bruised knees, tangled hair-tail, and black stained fingers provided all the information Haku needed.
Her journey to the top had been an extremely difficult one.
Suddenly, the doors opened to the lift and Haku retracted his eyes as he stepped inside with Chihiro. Pulling the lever with a bored hand, Haku stood with an aura of displeasure and disregard.
She straightened her back a little and glanced sideways at him.
“Haku, uh…” Her voice suddenly broke the surface of silent water that had surrounded them. Hearing her voice fill the empty lift made his lock strain against his enclosed passion. He struggled with himself.
`You will not open.' He commanded the force that pushed against him. `You can't open.'
Her bright brown eyes locked onto his face for the second time as she tried to say more. That gaze was more piercing than anything he had ever known.
He fought harder.
Haku met those stabbing, hope filled, orbs with his own sinister ones. He narrowed his fierce eyes at her as he continued to combat his fervor for her.
“Don't talk to me.” He sent back cruelly. “And address me as Master Haku.”
Chihiro gasped. She looked at him with heartbreak and reluctantly tore her gaze from him. She planted them back down on the wooden floor that lay beneath them. Her posture resumed the tired bend.
The struggle stopped. Guilt remained shut tight with the rest of his passion, kindness…
And love…
Blank was all he felt. Blank was what he was.
On and on the lift continued downward. The stillness dominated the surrounding area once again.
Finally, it stopped, and as it opened, Haku stepped out immediately into the steamy atmosphere and left Chihiro to follow him again. She did a second later, but this time, she stayed behind him as she had done after leaving Yubaba's office. He could not longer see her expression.
The bathhouse was full of customers and employees flittering about the place. Haku crossed the bridge that overlooked the entire site. As soon as any of the staff or clients noticed Chihiro, whether smelling her or seeing her, they each give their own gasp. Those bathing in the baths below muttered rudely to those around them. Whispers caught Haku's sharp ears, and he listened to their confusion at Chihiro's sudden appearance and repulse at her human stench. Most on the bridge with them just stood and stared as Haku led Chihiro through.
Instead of taking the next elevator down, Haku decided to take the stairs and not giving his emotions a chance to get the better of him.
Haku's face hardened even more as he stepped down the wooden steps. He never glanced once at the poor, frightened, creature behind him, or at the gawking spirits around them. Her soft footfalls on the stairs followed him remained right in his ears. They pounded at his head with their beat.
Reaching the bottom of the staircase, Haku immediately turned and strolled with his head held high towards the foreman's desk.
And there the foreman sat with snobbery written all over face. His wide mouth twisted in a disgusted line as he caught the smell of Chihiro, who remained just behind Haku to his left. The foreman's tan mustache was clenched in confusion and annoyance. His green hat perched distractingly on his huge round head and his disgustingly yellow shirt-top clashed wildly with his swarthy skin.
Circling the desk with Haku and Chihiro in the middle, the employees muttered wide-eyed to their companions as they pointed and stared. Most of the women stayed behind Chihiro. Their scrutinizing faces snarled in displeasure. The men made up the rest of the group as they completed the circle. Some even stuck their heads through the bars above just to hear a portion.
“Yubaba wishes for the girl to have a job here.” Haku announced to the foreman loudly.
The muttering increased to noisy conversation and even some in the back objected raucously.
The foreman gave a snort. “I don't care if Yubaba gets angry with us.” He replied, rudely.
Haku hoped that Yubaba heard that.
“We're not taking humans.” retorted with foreman's assistant, bravely.
“She's already under contract.” Haku shot back, and as soon as the words were uttered, the room exploded in astonished cries and surprised yells.
“I promise to work very hard.” injected Chihiro, and Haku watched as she bowed her head politely to the foreman.
“We are not going to take her in our department.” objected a greeter slug right behind her. The slug's face scrunched up as her fan hid her nose from Chihiro's scent.
“She'll stink up the whole place.” cried another female slug. The chattering continued to grow as a male worker then added, “We don't wanna…”
Haku had had enough. “Three days of eating our food and her smell will go away.” He declared forcefully as he glared at each of the employees around him. The noise stopped at his words.
“And if she doesn't work hard,” Haku continued, as he constantly sent his piercing eyes at the staff. “Boil her, roast her, do whatever you want.” Haku turned his head a fraction to see Chihiro's expression.
Her eyes betrayed her shock and hurt. Her face filled with fear as she looked around nervously at the employees.
They chuckled with delight at this news.
“Now get back to work.” he ordered. At his words, the surrounding personnel, still smiling and laughing, filed out of the room to continue their rounds for the night.
“Where is Rin?” Haku demanded in a loud ruthless voice, his eyes searching over the exiting crowd. `Rin led Chihiro to Yubaba. She will be the one to take care of her.'
Rin's sharp voice immediately cut through the crowds rumble.
“What!” came the shriek. “Don't you dump her on me!”
And there Rin was, her pink uniform stood against the dark wood she leaned against. Her arms folded across her chest in a defiant pose. Scowling at Haku, she raised her small eyebrows in disgust.
“You said you wanted an assistant.” Haku countered instantly and knew that she couldn't back out now. She had complained to everyone for months about needing an assistant. She was trapped into taking Chihiro.
The foreman's eyes widened and he smiled cruelly at Rin. “That's perfect. Give the girl to Rin!” he announced.
“Oh… great.” Rin moaned.
“Sen!” Haku addressed her roughly. She jumped, startled by his tone. It was the first time he'd spoken to her since the elevator. “Get going!” he barked.
“Right.” She answered quickly and ran passed him to reach Rin. Her smell whipped by in the air and Haku, unthinkingly, inhaled deeply.
“Why are you picking on me?” Rin complained to the foreman. “You owe me one, Haku. You hear me?” Rin threatened.
But Haku had already turned to leave. The smell was overwhelming. He didn't know why her scent was affecting him now. He had spent a whole elevator ride trapped with her. Yet her distinct perfume provoked him. It teased him.
He wanted her back.
He had sent her away...He had treated her like a slave worker. He had been cruel to her. Snarled in her face...
'Stop!' he told himself. 'Stop thinking that!'
Forcing himself to step on the stairs, The assistants taunting was audibly loud, “Have a nice day!” he called after Rin.
Haku was on the fourth step when he heard something.
It was a sob.
Small and inaudible to most ears, Haku knew he had sensed the sound more than heard it. The immobilized him. The lock cracked and almost gave way as the full force of her whispering cry echoed across his mind. Over and over...
'She trusted you.' Haku heard from the cracked brace. 'She trust you so much.'
He needed to see her one last time. To tell her with his eyes that he was sorry.
He turned his head to look at the doorway Rin was at just in time to hear her annoyed voice carry though the room.
“Come on!” she said harshly.
And with that, Haku watched silently as Chihiro turned her back to him and left his sight through the doorway.