Spirited Away Fan Fiction ❯ The Other World ❯ A Fabricated Lie ( Chapter 5 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: In no way do I own Spirited Away or its characters. They belong to Miyazaki the Almighty. Thank you.
 
DS: Hi there! I'm sure several of you are still angry at me for abandoning you for a year, so here's the next chapter right away! Ta-daa! I hope you all can someday find it in your hearts to forgive meee! 8_8
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Chihiro led Sakura up the Hill and to the old road that her father had accidentally taken years ago. Now that she was actually doing it, actually sharing her story, Chihiro was beginning to be as excited as Sakura. She enthusiastically pointed out everything along the way, like a tour guide...The little shrines, the overgrown statue, some of her favorite trees. Sakura was the gawking tourist, hanging on to Chihiro's every word. Her bouncy-ness lightened the mood, and before long, Chihiro was beginning to think of it as more of a field trip than returning to a nightmare. She was really looking forward to seeing everybody again...especially Haku!
"Are we there yet?" Sakura asked childishly. "Are we close? How far now?"
"Patience is a virtue," Chihiro sang cheerfully.
 
Meanwhile, Kimi wasn't in such a good mood. She'd never liked camping, and trudging along a dirt path through the woods was NOT how she preferred to spend her Saturday. Where in the world were those two lunatics going? She hoped it wasn't much further. It was difficult enough walking in platforms.
Suddenly, a little treefrog jumped out of nowhere right in her path. Kimi gave a little squeak of disgust, stepping back a few feet. Her sandal caught on a rock and she went flying backwards. She held in a growl of frustration as she sat up, trying in vain to wipe the reddish dirt off her white jeans.
"I HATE this plaaaaace!" Kimi moaned, pounding the ground like a child in a tantrum. She got up and kicked at the frogs, who hopped away terrified.
Kimi looked around, but could no longer see Chihiro or Sakura. She couldn't hear them anymore, either.
"Oh no..." She walked a little ways down the path, but there was no sign of them. "Drat. Damnit! Now where did they get to!?" Grumbling, she headed off down the trail. She'd have to catch up to them eventually.
 
Chihiro had stopped paying attention to the road already. It was as if she knew the way by heart, and now she only concentrated on Sakura's peppy chattering and the quiet sounds of the forest. Then she noticed something different, something that didn't fit.
"Sakura-chan, wait a moment..." Chihiro stopped and stood still, listening. She held up a hand to quiet Sakura.
"What is it, Chihiro?" Sakura looked around, confused.
"Listen..." Chihiro could hear voices, human-sounding voices. They were arguing, and not too far away. "Do you hear that?"
Sakura paused and listened, then answered carefully. "I hear . . . growling..." Sakura looked at Chihiro with wide eyes. "And it sounds close!"
Chihiro shook her head slowly. "No...there are people here..." She listened harder, determined to know what they were saying.
"No, stop it! Let go!"
Chihiro gasped. "It's Mika. And she's being attacked!" With that, she cut across the trail into the woods. Sakura tore after her.
"Chihiro, wait! What are you talking about? Stop!" She grabbed Chihiro's arm. "You can't go over there. That's where the animals are..." Her eyes shone with fear. "They sound dangerous, Chihiro! What if they're the things Kimi heard?"
Chihiro pulled out of Sakura's grasp. "I don't know what you're talking about, but Mika's in danger and I'm going to help her." Chihiro turned with one last look at Sakura, then ran off again toward the struggle. Sakura watched her go, hurt and confused. She was beginning to worry about Chihiro's health.
 
Chihiro stopped running, pushing quickly through some branches. There, in a small clearing, was Mika...and she was with a guy.
The boy was handsome and dark-skinned, with extremely light ice-blue eyes. His hair short, black, and very messy, tousled and windswept as if he'd just walked through a strong windstorm. He had a pained look on his face and was holding on to Mika's arm. Mika seemed to be crying a little, though the boy looked like he was being gentle.
"Leave me alone." Mika stumbled out of his hold. "Just...go away, okay? Just- " She stopped, spotting Chihiro. She narrowed her eyes, hurriedly drying her face.
"What are YOU doing here?" She growled.
"I....I thought you were in trouble..." Chihiro started.
"I'm fine." Mika glanced back at the boy, then marched stiffly past Chihiro. "I was just leaving. You should, too." She turned on Chihiro again. "Don't come poking about in the woods all the time, it's dangerous."
With that cold warning, she turned and sprinted through the foliage.
Chihiro closed her mouth, which had been hanging open in half-formed speech. She sighed. If it was so dangerous, why were there more people here?
Chihiro turned back around to look at the boy. "So, who are y- ?" She stopped, stunned. The boy was nowhere to be found. There weren't even any imprints in the soft grass where he'd been standing.
Thoroughly freaked out, Chihiro headed back to where she'd left Sakura.
 
When she arrived, she found Sakura huddles against a tree, shaking and crying. She looked quite frightened.
"Sakura! Oh my God, what happened?" Chihiro hurried over and knelt by her side.
Sakura let out a panicked sob. "Chihiro, I was so worried! Kimi was right, there ARE dangerous wolves here!"
"What?" Chihiro stared at her, dumbfounded. She'd NEVER heard of any wolves here, besides Kimi's 'Werewolf.'
"It came out from there," Sakura pointed in a direction close to where Chihiro had come from, "and barked and snapped at me, and then ran off that way..." She pointed at the distant trees. "I was so scared! Let's go back to the trail, please, it's dangerous in here."
Chihiro helped Sakura stand and together they made their way back to the road. Chihiro glanced timidly as her friend, who was relatively recovered by now.
"Do you still want to see the tunnel?"
Sakura blinked. "Huh? Oh! Uh...Yes, of course." In reality, she had just forgotten about the tunnel after that little experience. Sakura watched the ground as they walked, a bit troubled. Chihiro was acting strangely today...And what was she talking about when she ran into the woods? Mika? Why would that loner girl be here? And if Chihiro heard her, why hadn't Sakura herself heard it? Sakura was beginning to worry about Chihiro. What if there really was something wrong? What if all Chihiro's stories were made-up after all, or worse, is Chihiro actually believed they were real when they weren't? Sakura herself was beginning to doubt if there was really a tunnel or not. Ah, well. They'd see when they got there.
Sakura's thoughts were sharply interrupted as she collided with Chihiro's back. She stepped back, rubbing her nose, then something caught her eye. A short, stubby stone spirit's statue. Her heart beat slightly faster as she slowly looked up, to see an old, vine-covered. . .brick wall.
Her heart fell. More like plummeted into her gut. She timidly walked up to Chihiro and stood beside her. Chihiro looked utterly crushed.
"I...no...I don't understand..." Chihiro approached the wall in a daze, touching the bricks without believing it, without wanting to believe. "No...This isn't right!" She turned to Sakura, desperately hoping to convince her. "This isn't supposed to be here. You have to believe me...!" She trailed off, seeing the disappointed expression on her friend's face.
"What are you talking about?"
Both of them jumped at hearing this new voice. Mika was sitting calmly on a boulder on the side of the path. "This wall has always been here. Look how old it is."
Chihiro tried to argue, but no words came.
"There was never any tunnel here." Mika stood and looked at the sky. "It's noon. I have to go home." With a parting glance back at the silent pair, she disappeared calmly.
Chihiro still couldn't find her tongue. Sakura sighed, hitching her backpack higher on her shoulder.
"I'll see you tomorrow, Chihiro," Sakura said quietly, the turned and hurried back up the road.
Sakura, wait! Come back! Chihiro couldn't make the words come out. She just stood there in the shock of so many things happening at once. Suddenly, she turned with a yell of frustration and pounded against the wall.
"Let me in! LET ME IN! OPEN UP, I KNOW YOU CAN!" She sobbed, sinking to her knees. The sky seemed to take pity on her as dark clouds shaded the trees and the rain began to fall.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

DS: The end. Haha, just kidding. Awww, poor Chihiro. Isn't that frustrating, when the whole world thinks you're crazy? Kind of a depressing ending, isn't it? XD I guess I'll have to keep going, then. And how could I end it here, anyway? Haku hasn't even made his debut yet! I need to put Haku in this story! Otherwise, it's not complete! Egad, the horror - A Spirited Away fanfic without Haku! *faints*
p.s.- Please write a review! =D