Spirited Away Fan Fiction ❯ The Other World ❯ Through the Gate ( Chapter 7 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: Spirited Away is not mine in any way.
 
DS: How are all you people? Good? Good. I'm feeling spiffy. Especially since SCHOOL'S OUUUT!!! *celebrates* W00t w00t! And to pay off your magnanimous patience, here's the next chapter! :D
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Chihiro parked her bike in the mud outside the tunnel. As she dismounted, Sakura moaned and started to wake. She rubbed the back of her head where the brick had struck.
“Ohhhh man…Oh my God. Where are we? Why am I here again? Oh my God! Did you hit me?!”
“No, no; calm down!” Chihiro helped her get off the bike, but kept a firm grip on her arm. “That wasn't me, I promise. Come on!” With that, she sprinted towards the gaping mouth of the tunnel, dizzy friend in tow.
“OW! Chihiro, stop! Where are you going?” Sakura protested, frightened. “Let me go! Where are you taking me- ? Aaah - !!”
They had just gotten into the tunnel. Sakura gasped; all sounds of wind and rain had instantly been muffled to near-silence. The only prominent sounds left were their pounding footsteps in the darkness.
Soon they burst out the other end and entered the cathedral-like train station. Sakura stopped stiffly and let out a small squeak of astonishment, staring about.
“Ohhhh…ohhh..” She covered her mouth with her hands, eyes big as plates. “Are we- ? Did you- ?! Is this- !?!” She sputtered, looking back at the tunnel, then to the door leading to the rest of the spirit world. “Oh. My. GOD!” She shrilled, her voice significantly higher in pitch.
 
While Sakura was performing this little ritual, Chihiro was gazing around in amazement as well. It was such a shock, returning here after all these years. Then she came back to her senses. Checking the sky, which was still damp with drizzling clouds, she realized it was well past noon. The sun would definitely set in about an hour or so.
“Sakura, I think we should leave…” She looked around for her friend. “Sakura..?!” Chihiro darted out of the station. She spotted Sakura through the rain, skipping around a little ways away in the statue-speckled field, “oohing” and “aahing” and squealing at all she saw. She looked like a kid at Christmas who got exactly what she wanted.
“No, Sakura, come back!”
Chihiro chased after her, but it was too late. Before she could catch up to her, Sakura had skipped across the small river(which was slowly growing higher by the minute) and was heading up the stairs.
“Come on, Chihiro!” She waved ecstatically from the top. “You have to show me EVERYTHING! I just can't believe we're really here!”
Chihiro ran up the stairs after her. “No, Sakura! Listen! We can't stay! The sun- ” She stopped, stiffening as she heard a frighteningly familiar sound. She dove at Sakura and pushed her deep into a nearby bush.
“Shh! Be quiet.” Glancing up from their dark hiding place, Chihiro's fears were confirmed. There above them, not Yubaba's strange bird, but Yubaba herself was circling high above them on her daylight watch. Chihiro's gut tightened with shock and familiar fear. She hadn't thoight she'd ever have to see Yubaba again. A strong sense of dejavu made her head swim.
They waited for a few moments, then watched the witch fly off. Chihiro let out the breath she'd been holding. She got off of Sakura, who coughed.
“What in the world was that for?” She asked, rubbing her head. She stopped, eyes widening. Her hand had gone right through her own head! She stared at it, frightened. “What is this? What's happening to me?!”
Chihiro sighed, looking back at the reddening horizon. Sure enough, the water was already rising. It had quickened because of the rain. There was no chance of going back that night. They'd have to wait for dawn.
She turned back to her friend and helped her up. “Come on, we'd better get something to eat before the sun sets. We're going to disappear.”
Sakura followed Chihiro in a slight panic. “You never mentioned this part!”
“I guess it slipped my mind,” Chihiro answered absently as they passed restaurants and shops. The sun was not yet low enough for the ghosts to appear, but she knew it would begin soon.
Sakura eyes the platters of fine-smelling meats and meals. “Why, again, did you say we can't eat this food?” She asked mournfully.
“We don't have and money,” Chihiro answered simply. “We can't pay for it. Do you want to be a pig? Now come on.”
 
Sakura picked up her pace reluctantly, keeping close to Chihiro. Soon they came in sight of the seemingly abandoned bathhouse. Despite their risky situation, Sakura gave a little sigh of eagerness. Chihiro herself felt a bubble of excitement rise in her chest. She was here! She was actually back here, where she never thought she could return.
She didn't know whether holding their breath would do anything without a real spirit to guide them across the bridge, but it was worth a try. She hoped that they could get inside before anyone woke up. She'd think of what they'd do next from there. After hurriedly whispering instructions to Sakura, Chihiro led them onto the bridge. The lamps were not yet lit.
On the other side, they were almost over when the first lights came on. The sky began to dim. Panic rising in her chest, Chihiro pulled Sakura across the last part of the bride. A door burst open. A rather squat toad waddled out to prepare for the greetings, but then stopped in its tracks. Chihiro froze and braced herself, feeling Sakura's grim tighten on her own.
“Humans!” The toad exclaimed. “Humans! What are you doing here, you filth? You'll scare away the customers!”
Chihiro winced. She glanced about quickly searching for some way to dash by him.
“Go away! Why I oughtta…” He stopped, surprised. He squinted up at Chihiro. “…Sen? Sen, is that you…?” His already bulging eyes seemed to pop. “SEN! It IS you! You're back!”
Chihiro smiled timidly, and Sakura followed her lead. The toad didn't seem very upset…She bowed politely, Sakura mimicking mutely.
“Hello, Mr. Toad. Could my friend and I possibly have some food? The sun is almost down, and…”
The toad waved an impatient flipper. “Yes, yes, of course. Follow me.” He turned to another toad coming out. “You take care of the other guests. Sen's returned!”
The new toad goggled up at her as well, then nodded.
 
Chihiro and Sakura followed the Toad through some back hallways to the kitchen. Nevertheless, it was announced happily to the few people they did pass that “Sen came back.” Soon they got to the kitchens, where the cooks welcomed Chihiro with enthusiasm.
“Sen, you've returned!”
“I knew you'd come back, Sen!”
“Welcome home, Sen!”
Soon, all worry of food was pushed from their minds as they were given a small but filling serving of leftovers. Then the cooks dispersed as quickly as they had gathered, all bowing an apology.
“Many pardons, Sen, but it's time to work, you know…”
When the slugs and toads had gone, Sakura squealed and hugged Chihiro, laughing with joy. She was finally here!! She was here, and she couldn't be happier.
“Chihiro, you did it! We're here, can you believe it?!”
Before Chihiro could answer, she seemed to be attacked from behind.
“SEN!! YOU'RE BACK!”
Lin spun her around, laughing. “You came back! I knew it! And…Oh, geeze, look at you.” She set Chihiro down, shaking her head skeptically. “You're soaking wet! That won't do.”
Chihiro looked down at herself, remembering the rain for the first time. “Oh…yeah, I guess I am.” However, she found herself grinning widely. She realized then just how much she had missed this place, and Lin, and everyone.
“Well, you can't go around like that, trudging water everywhere,” Lin said, catching Chihiro by the arm. “Come on, we'll get you a room and some dry clothes…”
“Oh, th-that's okay…” Chihiro responded cheerfully. “I'm not really done eating yet.”
“I'll go!” Sakura piped up, beaming. “You're Lin, right? I've heard so much about you.”
Lin noticed her for the first time. “Hey, who's your little friend, Sen?”
“I'm Sakura,” she answered, bowing in enthusiasm. “Sakura Hiiragashi. I've SO wanted to meet you for a long time!”
Lin raised an eyebrow, but looked pleased. “Oh, really? Well, then, the least I can do is get you some dry clothes. Follow me…” She looked back at Chihiro. “You. You've had enough of THAT junk. Put it down and we'll give you some real food later. Come on, I won't let you catch a cold here!” Her mind set, she pulled Chihiro to her feet.
“Oh, by the way,” Chihiro mentioned as they hiked up the stairs, “my name is Chihiro now, remember?”
“Oh, yeah,” Lin nodded, thinking back. “It's a nice name.” She turned to Sakura. “You're got a pretty interesting name, too, did you know that?”
Sakura beamed.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
DS: Yup. We're getting closer….closer to Haku time! So don't stop reading! (or posting reviews…) ^_^ lol