Spirited Away Fan Fiction ❯ Without You ❯ Back To Work ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Very early the next morning Chihiro awoke to the most delicious smells. It was her breakfast that smelled so wonderful which she found sitting on a tray being held by Lin. “Why did you bring this to me here? I could have gotten it myself.”
“I know but Haku was sending it up anyway. I'm sure he just wanted to make sure you were up on time for work today.” Lin grinned mischievously at her knowing perfectly why Haku was doing this for her. “I took the liberty of grabbing my breakfast while I was down there so if you don't mind I think I'll join you. I thought you might like some company.”
As Chihiro yawned and stretched she managed to say something that resembled “Sure.” Finally she got up and got her breakfast and began eating, commenting now and then about its taste. It was the same bowl of rice she always had but she had been away for so long it tasted wonderful. She and Lin talked while they ate, remembering their adventures from before and how things had changed. When the last of the rice was gone Lin got up and took Chihiro's bowl, along with her own, then walked to the door to leave.
“Lin, am I gonna work with you today?” Chihiro asked quickly before she was gone.
“I don't know. Thats something you are going to have to ask your boss.” Lin replied with a faint grin. With that vague answer she left the room.
Chihiro couldn't figure out why Lin was acting strange but she decided she better take her advise and go ask Haku what where she would be working. He had said she could have her old job back she wanted to make sure she would really be useful there. With that thought in her head she threw on the pink work clothes and apron, brushed her hair and, remembering the day before, securely bound her hair, making sure none of the strands would escape. She decided against wearing makeup today, after all she would be working all day long and it would only take more time to put it on. With those final touches she left her room in search of Haku.
Chihiro went to Yubabba's old set of rooms. She still found it a little weird that Haku was now in charge. As she reached the doors that lead to his office she went in without knocking, lost in her thoughts. Haku looked up at her surprised to see her there and anxious about the look on her face. “What's wrong? I thought you wanted to go back to your old job, so what are you doing up here?”
“I did, but I wanted to make sure that is what really needed to be done. I did, after all, barge in here and specifically ask for my old job without even asking what needed to be done. But, at the time, I thought that would be the best place for me. I wasn't...”
Chihiro was cut off by Haku's hearty laugh. He couldn't hold the laughter in for a moment longer. She really seemed to have given this a lot of thought. “Actually,” he said once his laughter ceased “everything is running smoothly so you don't really have to work if you don't want to, but if you choose to you can work wherever you choose.”
“As much as I hate getting up early, I would rather work. And since its my choice I'll go back to my old job, which means I must be going.”
“Wait Chihiro, would you like to join me for lunch this afternoon?”
“Yes!” Chihiro blurted out.
“Okay, I'll meet you by the door and we can go out for a picnic.”
“Okay, and I'll even be on time.” she said, this time much more controlled, as a smile lit up her face. With that she left the room to find Lin, counting the minutes already.