Spyro Fan Fiction ❯ A Turbulent Life ❯ Confrontations ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Recap: Spyro and friends had just about recovered after Misteria's freak storm.  The night got of to a humorous start after Red scared the crap out of Spyro.  But they would only get peace for this night.  The next day, Spyro confronted the one enemy he really didn't want to see again, which was the Sorcerer.  He hatched a devastating plot that almost worked if not for the power of Red's amulet.  With Ragnar's help, Red learned that his amulet literally had a soul of its own.  Red was also able to link to his amulet, greatly enhancing his power as a result.
/ is Cosma mental talk
// is Red mental talk
' is thoughts






     &n bsp;                                   Chapter 5: Confrontations

It is currently mid afternoon.  Spyro, his friends and Red are now in the peaceful and beautiful Lofty Castle.  After such an action-packed morning, they were really looking forward to having some peace.  Earlier today, Red and the other Elders' worst fear came true, which was the Sorcerer's inevitable return.  The Sorcerer had managed to capture both Red and Spyro.  He attempted to put Red under a spell then have Red kill Spyro.  His plot almost worked when Red's amulet glowed brightly, freeing Red from the both the Sorcerer's spell and the shadowy bonds that held him to the top of a table.
   
After being freed, Red sent the Sorcerer flying into the wall using the Banish spell.  Then he turned the tables and bound the Sorcerer to the wall with solid ice.  Then Red flew up to the cage holding Spyro prisoner.  The power of his amulet evaporated several of the cage's shadowy bars, allowing Spyro to jump out.  Then Red flew out of the Sorcerer's lair and teleported back to Stone Hill.  But the ice only held for a little while because the Sorcerer had gotten free.  He had teleported to the castle of Stone Hill and noticed that Red and Spyro weren't present.  Knowing that they would be back, he took Hunter, Bianca and Gildas hostage.

Red and Spyro and Sparx were with Ragnar at the time, Ragnar was able to help Red link with the power of his amulet, which actually started with being able to communicate with the soul sealed inside.  The soul revealed herself as Cosma, the most powerful fairy to have ever lived.  When Red successfully communicated with her via a mental link, Cosma then linked her power to Red's power.

Then Red, Spyro and Sparx returned to the castle to find the door busted in.  They rushed inside to find their friends and uncle/brother in Spyro and Red's case inside a large shadowy cage with the Sorcerer standing next to it.  The Sorcerer gave an ultimatum, Spyro for the freedom of the others.  Cosma had something different in mind however.  She had told Red about his ability to become invisible.  Red didn't hesitate to use it.  He easily got past the Sorcerer and then evaporated several of the cage's bars, allowing the prisoners to esape.  He let the Sorcerer know about the now free prisoners.

Because Red was still invisible at the time, everyone except the Sorcerer looked around, trying to know where he was.  The Sorcerer, tried to take advantage of the distraction by coming at Spyro from behind.  But Red quickly put a stop to the attempted sneak attack.  That drove the Sorcerer off for the moment and Red became visible again.

Then Spyro decided to move on since he didn't want his uncle to be involved.  Red took Spyro and friends to Lofty Castle, where a small family reunion take place. Spyro and his friends found out that Mudada, Baruti and Useni are actually Red's cousins.  Mudada and Useni are currently showing Hunter and Bianca around.  Baruti on the other hand is talking with Red and Spyro.
      
"So what brings you here?" Baruti asked.

Red had a serious expression on his face upon hearing that question.  "I'm afraid it's not just for a visit, as much as I wish it was.  Spyro and I have three enemies to deal with.  One is my old arch nemesis Misteria," he responded.

"She's back?" Baruti asked incredulously.

"Yes she is," Red responded.  "She's tried to capture and/or kill Spyro about four times in just two days.  The other two enemies are my former accomplice Ineptune and the Sorcerer," he added.

"I heard about what the Sorcerer did.  I thought he was gone for good," Baruti said.

"I wish," Spyro said.

"So did the others and me," Red added.
      
"Who exactly is Ineptune though?" Baruti asked.

"Ineptune is a mermaid, and an ugly one at that.  I defeated her at Coastal Remains, but now she's teamed up with Misteria.  Misteria gave her power over water," Spyro started.  "She almost drowned me with it as well.  Bianca, Blink and I were out for a swim on the beach a couple of days ago when I suddenly got pulled downward.  In my attempt to call for help, I rapidly took in seawater.  I then blacked out."

"Bianca helped keep his head above water.  But Ineptune created a whirlpool in front of Bianca and Spyro, which began to pull them toward it.  Luckily, I pulled them out of the whirlpool before they reached the center.  About several moments later, Spyro started to cough up water.  I landed on the beach and put  Bianca down so she could let go of Spyro.  Spyro had swallowed so much seawater that it took a while for him to get it all out," Red finished.

"I see.  So you won't have any problems with Ineptune here," Baruti said.

"Yeah.  There isn't even close to enough water to support her here," Sparx said.  "Let's just hope ol' sour grape Misteria doesn't show up."

"Amen to that one Sparx," Spyro agreed.

"I second that," Red said.

Meanwhile, Hunter and Bianca were enjoying the sights.  They were currently taking a breather on a castle roof.

"This is a wonderful place.  I wouldn't mind living here," Bianca said.

"Yeah, the views are awesome.  I haven't seen views better than this so far," Hunter said.

"I've seen better views at High Caves, Tree Tops and Cliff Town," Mudada said.

"Maybe we'll go visit those places someday," Bianca said.

"I hope so too," Hunter agreed.

Meanwhile, Misteira was furious about not being able to find where Red had taken Spyro.  "How did he know that I was there?  He has never been able to sense my presence before," she said angrily.

"That's because his powers have gotten stronger.  I sensed that earlier this morning," an unfamiliar voice responded.  "That means that he's able to sense his surroundings a lot better than he initially did."

Misteria turned around to see a dark hooded figure standing next to a tree.  "Who are you?" she asked.

"I am called the Sorcerer," the figure responded.

"I've never heard of you," Misteria said.

"But I've heard of you Misteria.  You have the ability to control nature," the Sorcerer said.

"How do you know about me?" Misteria asked.  'Something about this guy creeps me out,' she secretly added.

"Red told me all there is to know about you.  It's amazing how much you can learn when you put someone under a spell," the Sorcerer responded.

"Then why is he with the other dragons if he was supposed to be under a spell?" Misteria asked.

"I underestimated his little half pint son Spyro.  At the time, Spyro was more powerful than I gave him credit for.  But the reason why you've been having the success that you're having against him  is because he's nowhere near as powerful as he was when he faced me.  His magic was pretty strong back then.  But he obviously didn't keep practicing his magic because he has very little of it now, whereas I have worked on my powers and have gotten stronger," the Sorcerer responded.  "I tried to put Red back under my spell this morning.  It would've worked if not for that amulet of his."

"That amulet of his is getting to be as much of a thorn in my side as Red is.  It also prevented me from killing that pipsqueak off," Misteria said.

"So, it appears that you too have had trouble," the Sorcerer said.

"Yes I have.  It appears we have a common goal, which is terminating that little brat," Misteria said.

"I'll admit that we do have a common goal.  But I would rather be dead than team up with a weakling like you," the Sorcerer said.

"Who are you calling a weakling?" Misteria asked angrily, the sky suddenly clouding up.

"Well, you have a strong temper.  But do you honestly think that your power can compare to mine?" the Sorcerer responded.

"I'll show you who's the weakling.  If you won't join me, then you are against me.  I will not have anyone who's against me killing Red and Spyro and taking the credit.  Prepare yourself Sorcerer.  Prepare to lose that is," Misteria said before flying into the air, a fierce storm now kicking up.

"Oh I won't be the one to lose.  You really won't stand a chance against me," the Sorcerer said before getting ready to battle.

Misteria started the battle with a tornado.  She sent the tornado barreling towards the Sorcerer.

"You've got to do better than that," the Sorcerer said before creating an electric wall between himself and the twister.

The twister began to quickly dissipate upon colliding with the electric wall.  There was soon nothing left of the unnatural twister.  Then the Sorcerer concentrated the energy from the electric wall into a single beam of electrical energy, sending it straight for Misteria.  Misteria countered with her own lightning, but the electrial beam was too powerful for even her.  Most of the energy from the beam, went through her lightning like a hot knife through butter, hitting her dead on.

Misteria was knocked out of the sky.  She quickly recovered though and was soon airborne again.  "You're more formidable than I gave you credit for.  But I refuse to lose to someone as creepy as you," she said.  "Let's see how you handle a little hail," he added before causing hail to fall from the sky.

But the hail that came from the sky was anything but little.  The hail that fell from the sky was at least the size of a grapefruit.

"I can handle your ice just fine," the Sorcerer said before erecting a shield.

The hail bounced off the shield.  But the shield wasn't only for defense.  The Sorcerer sent an electric ball through the shield.  Misteria attempted to counter again but failed as it was too strong for her.  The hail stopped upon her being knocked out of the sky once again.

"I suggest you call it quits now.  I haven't even broken a sweat yet," the Sorcerer said.

"I don't think so Grim Reaper," Misteria retorted.

Although the Sorcerer's expression could not be seen, he was pretty angry after that retort.  "I was only toying around with you.  But playtime is over after that insulting remark.  Get ready to be humiliated Misteria," he said.

"The only one who will be humiliated is you.  I too have been holding back.  I've been using less power than you have.  We'll see how good you can really are and if you can hold out long enough before you do start to sweat," Misteria countered before she and the Sorcerer began to duke it out again.

Meanwhile in Lofty Castle, Spyro and Sparx found Hunter and Bianca half an hour later.  They were on the roof of another Castle.

"Hiya Spyro," Hunter said.

"Hey," Spyro said.

"Where's your father?" Mudada asked.

"Oh, he wanted to be alone for a while," Spyro responded.

"Maybe he wants to tune his power," Bianca suggested.

"Maybe you're right," Sparx said.

Bianca was indeed right.  Red was in an isolated part of Lofty Castle.  Cosma was helping him to learn his powers.  One thing Red found out was that he now had control over the elements as well.  He knew that the ability would be a big help in battling Misteria.  He spent several hours learning his powers and abilities.  Among his new abilities and powers was the power to heal and greatly enhanced physical strength and speed..

/You've done very well Red.  You're a pretty fast learner/

//I always was// He then flew off in search for Spyro and the others.  He hovered in the air only several seconds later.

/What is it?/

//I sense that Spyro's in big trouble//

/There's no time to lose then.  You have to hurry/ 'It looks like Red already has a very strong fatherly bond with Spyro.  He'll know when Spyro is in danger from now on.  This is really good news,' she secretly added.

Red streaked through the sky, hoping that he would be in time.  'I'm coming Spyro.  Just hang on,' he thought.

Meanwhile, Spyro was very much in serious trouble.  Apparently, not all of the enemies had left Lofty Castle.  Spyro and friends had wandered into an area where the devil-looking enemies had gone into hiding.  They had quickly engulfed Spyro.  Then they shot electrical energy from their tridents at Spyro.  Because the devils fired at the same time, Spyro was unconscious and seriously hurt, but still alive.

"What can we do?" Bianca asked.

"I'm afraid there's nothing we can do.  If we do anything, they won't hesitate to kill Spyro," Useni responded sadly.

Suddenly, five of the devils were sent flying through the air.

"Where did that come from?" Hunter asked.

"From me," a familiar deep voice repsonded.

Hunter, Bianca, Baruti, Useni, Mudada and Sparx looked back ot see Red coming, landing several seconds afterward.  They were beyond relieved to see him.  Red gasped in horror when he saw how badly hurt Spyro was.  Red's horror quickly turned to anger, as he glared at the devils.  If looks could kill, then the devils would've had a one-way trip  back to where they belong.

"You'll pay for what you did to my son," Red snarled.

The devils just laughed before one of them picked up Spyro and flew away.

"Oh no you don't" Red said before going after it.

One of the devils tried to intervene.  But Red was definitely not in the mood.  His staff appeared in his hand and he fired an ice ball at the devil.  The devil was iced over and shattered upon impact with the ground.

/I can link you to your staff so you won't need to summon it.  It won't take long/

//That would be very helpful//

/All right/

Red's amulet then began to glow.  Then gem on his staff also began to glow.  The power from Red's staff flowed straight into the amulet.  It soon flowed into Red as well.  Several moments later, the gem on his staff turned into dust.  The dust quickly blew away.  Then the staff itself disappeared.  Red felt something different about the amulet as well.  He looked at the amulet to see that it was now literally attached to him.

/It's done.  I also made the amulet like a second skin to you.  No one, not even you will be able to remove it.  Just think of it as a way to make sure that we'll always be in contact with each other whether it's just to talk or you need advice/

//Thank you// He then continued on.

It really didnt' take too long for Red to catch up to the fleeing devil.  He soon blocked its path.

"You won't be getting away," Red said.

The devil shot electrical energy out at Red.  Red simply countered with an electrical beam from his palm.  Then the devil made a monumental mistake.  It stabbed Spyro with its trident right in front of Red.  Spyro regained consciousness as the pain really intensified.  He screamed in extreme pain before going unconscious again.  The devil heard a low, menacing growl and looked to see that Red was the one growling.

The growl had turned to an angry roar as the sky darkened.  Soon, lightning began flashing all around them.  A lightning bolt struck the devil's hand, making it release the trident.  Another bolt struck its head, causing it to let go of Spyro.  Then a big bolt directly struck it, obliterating it.  Then the sky cleared up, as Red dove after Spyro.  He soon caught Spyro and quickly headed back to where the others were.  He arrived in only five minutes.  Upon arriving, he saw that the other devils had been taken care of.  He landed and gently placed Spyro down.  The others gasped in horror when they saw the three stab wounds to Spyro's back.  Red kneeled beside his badly wounded son, tears flowing down his face.

"Spyro needs help and fast," Sparx said.

"But what can we do?  Only someone who has the power to heal can help him.  I'm afraid that that's not me," Bianca said.

/Don't lose hope Red.  You have the power to heal remember?  Use it to heal Spyro/

//I forgot about that.  Thank you so much Cosma//

/Hey, I'm here to help/

Then, Red closed his eyes in concentration.  Everyone watched as a white aura engulfed Red.  Red softly put his hand on Spyro's back.  He then let his healing power flow through Spyro.  The others looked on in awe as the wounds in Spyro's back began to mend.  What they couldn't see was that the internal damage from all the electricity was also being repaired.  Several minutes later, Spyro was completely healed.

Spyro soon regained consciousness.  "Ugh, what happened?" he asked.

This time, Red shed tears of joy.  "Thank goodness you're all right," he said, hugging Spyro to him.

"What happened though?" Spyro asked.

Bianca and Red took turns telling Spyro what happened.

"Thanks dad.  You really saved my life this time," Spyro said.

"You don't have to thank me Spyro," Red said.

"I feel that I do.  That devil could've killed me," Spyro said.

"I love you too much to let something like that happen.  You mean the world to me Spyro," Red said.

'It has only been five days that Spyro knew that Red was his father.  But it already seems like years.  And they continue to grow closer to each other,' Bianca thought smiling.

Meanwhile at Stone Hill, Misteria and the Sorcerer were still going at it.  Misteria was losing pretty badly.  But she refused to give in to the Sorcerer.  She had one last card to play.

"You're more powerful than I would've ever thought.  But let's see how well you do against this," Misteria said.  She flew up into the heart of the storm she created.  She then began to merge with the storm.

Several moments later, a dragonhead formed in the clouds.

"You might have been able to beat me as a dragon.  But let's see if you can beat Mother Nature herself," Misteria said.  She then blew a very icy wind down on the Sorcerer, encasing him in ice.  She continued to blow, making the ice thicker and thicker.  She stopped when the Sorcerer was encased in 1' thick ice.

The ice appeared to do the trick at first.  But it slowly began to thaw several minutes later.  The Sorcerer had begun to thaw himself out the moment he was fully encased in ice.  It took a little while, but the Sorcerer was able to completely thaw himself out.  Just that one attack left him panting hard.  The ice was so cold that it had actually started taking his breath away.

"It seems that I have underestimated you.  I won't make that mistake again.  I've underestimated my opponents too many times already.  You may be a storm now, but I will still defeat you," the Sorcerer said.

"But now you're starting to wear down.  Do you really think that you can win?  Thanks to the merge with my storm, I am completely re-energized," Misteria said.  She then lashed out with a fierce electrical storm.

The lightning struck so fast that the Sorcerer could only weave out of each bolt's path.  But he soon got an idea.  He surrounded himself in an electrical shield.  As the lightning struck the shield, the energy from the lightning flowed into him, restoring his energy.  After about seven strikes, his energy was completely restored.

"It seems like your lightning was a double-edged sword Misteria. I was able to use it to restore my energy as well.  Now we're on an even playing field again," the Sorcerer said.

"That was a sneaky move Sorcerer," Misteria said.

"It's not like you can talk," the Sorcerer said.

"No matter though.  I will win this battle," Misteria said.

The Sorcerer felt change in the air.  He felt stable air quickly moving in their direction.  "You're about to get a lesson in nature Misteria," he said smirking.

"Why's that?" Misteria asked.

"You'll find out right now," the Sorcerer responded.

The storm had soon begun to break up.

"What's this?  I'm not causing this storm to break up," Misteria said puzzled.  She was soon unmerged from her storm and quickly spread her wings to stop her descent.  "What's happening to my storm?" she asked angrily.

"Apparently, Mother Nature no longer wants you to interrupt her.  A storm needs unstable air to keep itself alive.  You were providing the unstable air.  But highly stable air is what causes a storm to break apart.  Someone such as you should've known that," the Sorcerer said.  "Now the tables have turned Misteria.  Since the storm has broken up, your power doesn't even match up to mine anymore," he added before encasing Misteria in a shadow cage. 

Misteria used her electrical powers in attempt to escape.  But the shadow bars simply absorbed the attack.  She was now trapped.

"That will hold you for a while.  The only way you'll get out of there is if I decide to let you out.  If you submit to me, I'll let you out right now.  But I must say that I'm pretty impressed with your abilities, and I take back what I said earlier about working with you.  With my help, your powers can become even stronger.  Do we have a deal?" the Sorcerer said.

"Yes Sorcerer.  You have a deal.  I would do anything to be able to put Red in his place and kill his precious little son," Misteria said.

"Well let's make our leave then," the Sorcerer said before making the cage disappear.

"I have someone for you to meet," Misteria said before leading the Sorcerer to the shore.

Ineptune surfaced.  "Who is he?" she asked upon seeing the Sorcerer.

"This is the Sorcerer," Misteria asked.

"I have convinced your friend here to join me.  I can sense the power inside of you.  I can help you develop it to the fullest," the Sorcerer said.

"I'll joing you Sorcerer.  I've wanted revenge against that little dragon ever since he defeated me," Ineptune said.

"So have I my dear mermaid," the Sorcerer said.

"That dragon defeated you too?" Ineptune asked.

"Yes he has.  Like you, I seriously underestimated him.  But at the time, he had strong magic.  Now, he has almost none becuse he deliberately let it die, which is good for us of course," the Sorcerer said.  "Let's head back to my world now," he added.

"Is there any water there?" Ineptune said.

"My lair has more than enough water to support you," the Sorcerer responded.

"Okay then," Ineptune said.

The Sorcerer transported himself as well as Ineptune and Misteria to his world.  Upon arriving in the lair, Ineptune was deposited into the water.  She quickly surfaced.

"This will do just fine," Ineptune said.

"So what's our next couse of action?" Misteria asked.

"The next course of action will be some training.  I promised that I would help the two fo you bring your powers to their fullest, and I intend to uphold that promise," the Sorcerer responded.

"I will take as long as necessary to have a good chance of defeating Red," Misteria said.

"So will I," Ineptune added.

"It looks like we'll get along just fine now," the Sorcerer said.





Another chapter completed.  Now our heroes have triple trouble.  With the alliance between the Sorcerer, Misteria and Ineptune, things have gotten a lot more complicated.  Preview for Chapter 6: The Dead Ruins:  Spyro, Red, Bianca, Hunter and Sparx pay Sheila the kangaroo a surprise visit.  But something is terribly amiss.  A strange portal appears in the Sunrise Spring home world after night has settled in.  Spyro enters the world out of curiosity.  But this is not a world to enter, as he soon finds out.  Can he make it out before the sun rises?  Stay tuned to find out.