Spyro Fan Fiction ❯ A Turbulent Life ❯ Return to the Shadow Realm ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Recap:  After the nearly fatal incident in Lofty Castle, Spyro, Red, Sparx, Hunter and Bianca spent some time in Sheila's Alp.  Wanting to spend some time with their own families, Hunter and Bianca returned to their homes.  A father/son outing almost turned tragic when Spyro set off and was buried underneath an avalanche but Red was able to burn through the deep snow and pull Spyro out.  But what happened during the night would prove to be the worst experience of Spyro's life.  Spyro had wandered into an unlabeled portal that had appeared out of nowhere, which he didn't know was the portal to the most feared place in the world: The Dead Ruins.  It was then a race against time to get out because the portal would disappear at dawn, trapping any unsuspecting person or creature who may have wandered into the Dead Ruins.  Fortunately, Red got to him and brought him out with very little time to spare.
/ is Cosma mental talk
// is Red mental talk
' is thoughts






     &n bsp;                                  Chapter 7: Return to the Shadow Realm

It was now early evening.  Spyro, Sparx and Red had slept the entire day and were still asleep.  But it was to be expected after being up all day and night.  Last night had started off very peaceful.  But it quickly turned into the worst night that Spyro had ever experienced.  He and Sparx were on their way to spend a little time at Molten Crater when a gray-cracked portal with no name appeared in their path.

Being curious as to why the portal didn't say where it led, Spyro decided to have a look.  He arrived in a literal dead place.  Except for him, everything was dull and gray.  At the time, he didn't realize that he was in the Dead Ruins.  It didn't take long for trouble to find him.  This trouble was in the form of living dead a.k.a. zombies.  He seemingly disintigrated one, but was horrified upon seeing it simply put itself back together.  Another zombie attemtped to drag him into a pond, but he was able to make it let go.  Then he spent almost the entire night trying to get away from the zombies.  He was doing fine until they trapped him at a cliff.

The zombies approached him, wanting to force him over the edge and into the gray ocean below.  That was because that all of the bodies of water were enchanted with a spell that would turn a living being into a living dead when the living being was fully submerged.  They did force him over the edge.  Luckily, he never fell into the ocean because Red caught him. 

Then it was a race against the clock because the portal itself would disappear at dawn.  Luckily, Red made it out with Spyro and Sparx with literally a few minutes to spare.  Then Red returned to Sheila's Alp.  Sheila and Billy were currently having dinner.  Bobby and Pete joined them.  All for of them wondered what could've happened to make Spyro, Sparx and Red so tired.  Sheila and Billy had yet to hear the bedroom door open.

"I wonder what happened last night," Pete said.

"It must've been something very exciting for them to stay up all night," Bobby said.

"I have a feeling that it wasn't exciting in a good way," Billy said.

"You may be right," Sheila said.

A few hours later, Pete and Bobby went back to their houses.  As for Sheila and Bobby, they would still have a comfortable place to sleep tonight even though the bedroom was occupied.  Billy had two sofas in the living room.  Draped across each sofa was a thick blanket.  Sheila and Bobby got settled on the sofas and were soon asleep themselves.

Meanwhile in the Sorcerer's world, the Sorcerer, Misteria and Ineptune were plotting their next move.  After Misteria's battle with the Sorcerer, she had agreed to work with the Sorcerer.  In return, the Sorcerer helped her to further develop her powers and abilities.  Over the past two weeks, she and Ineptune went through vigorous training, becoming much stronger than they initially were.

"So what's our next point of attack?" Misteria asked.

"I've been considering letting my pets have fun with Spyro," the Sorcerer responded.

Ineptune smirked.  "You told me that Spyro's magic is very slim.  So why not have the creatures that can only be defeated through the use of Chi energy, or the Cyclone, Shock and Banish spells.  He'll be just about helpless against them," she said.

"That's a wonderfully sinister idea," the Sorcerer said.

"You said that you were able to drain Red of his powers.  Why not give it another try because we know that Red will find a way into the Shadow Realm.  Now that he has gotten more powerful, that could mean more power for us," Misteria said.

"An excellent idea.  We would be unstoppable with that kind of power," the Sorcerer said.

Back in Sheila's Alp, Sheila, Billy, Spyro, Sparx and Red enjoyed a fairly peaceful night.  The next morning, Red was the first to awaken.  He got up and stretched.

'That was the best sleep I've had.  I feel completely refreshed,' Red thought.  He removed the blanket from Spyro.  "It's time to wake up," he said.

Spyro opened his eyes.  He looked up and saw Red looking down at him.  "Hey dad," he said yawning.

"Hi Spyro," Red said.  He then lightly tapped Sparx.

Sparx awakened before flying off Spyro's head.  "I've never slept that good before," he said.

"I know what you mean.  I was exhausted after having to dodge those zombies all night last night," Spyro said before jumping down from the bed.  He thought that it was yesterday afternoon.

Then Red opened the door and he, Spyro and Sparx headed to the living room.  They found Sheila and Billy up and about.  Shiela turned around and smiled upon seeing Red, Spyro and Sparx.

"Glad to you you're finally awake," Sheila said.

"How long were we asleep?" Spyro asked.

"You were asleep for a full day.  It's morning now," Sheila responded.

Spyro and Sparx's mouths dropped for a few moments.  "What?" they asked in disbelief.

"Are you serious?" Red asked.  He was in as much disbelief as Spyro was Sparx were.

"Very serious," Sheila responded.

"I thought it was still the afternoon," Spyro said.

"Me too," Sparx added.

"Me three," Red added.

"Sheila and I were hoping that ya would've woken up by yesterday afternoon.  But we figured that ya must've had quite a night to sleep for a full day," Billy said.

"We did indeed," Red said.

"A night that I hope to never go through again," Spyro said.

"Can you tell us about it?" Sheila asked.

"Can we eat first?  I'm pretty hungry," Sparx said.

Right on cue, Spyro and Red's stomachs growled loudly.  Sparx, Sheila and Billy laughed at the look of embarrassment on Spyro's face.  They couldn't see that Red blushed as well due to him being red.

"All right.  We'll eat.  I'd imagine that you would be quite hungry after not eating anything for a full day," Sheila said.

Several minutes later, they all sat down and had a sizeable breakfast.  Sheila and Billy didn't really have much of an appetite last night so they ate very little.  But their appetites came in full swing this morning.  About ten minutes later, they finished breakfast.  Then Spyro and Red took turns explaining what happened two nights ago.  It was early afternoon when they finished.

"Whoa.  That was a very rough night," Sheila said.

"Even that's an understatement Sheila," Spyro said.

Then Spyro, Red and Sparx made their way to the exit portal.  They soon arrived in Sunrise Spring.

"So, where do you want to go Spyro?" Red asked.  He grew tense immediately after asking that question.

"What's wrong?" Sparx asked.

"The Sorcerer is nearby," Red responded.

"That I am," a sinister voice said.

"And he's not alone," a second sinister voice added.

Spyro, Red and Sparx whiped around to see both the Sorcerer and Misteria.

"What do you want this time?" Spyro asked dryly.

"What we've been wanting from the beginning: your extermination," the Sorcerer responded.

Suddenly, the air became thick with dark magic.  Then the sky began to darken.  A lavender lightning bolt struck right in front of Spyro.  THe bolt missed him by only millimeters but the impact with the ground was enough to blow him off his feet.  A purple and black cloud-like portal appeared behind him, and he went flying into it.  Then the portal quickly closed up.

"Spyro!" Red and Sparx cried.  They really didn't have time to react because it happened so fast.

Red turned back towards the Sorcerer.  "Where is he?" he asked snarling.

"Why he's in the Shadow Realm of course.  I suggest you hurry if you want to save him because he will be completely powerless against my creatures," the Sorcerer responded.

"How so?" Sparx asked.

"Since Spyro can't use Chi energy anymore and can no longer perform spells, he won't be able to even faze the creatures that the Sorcerer intends to send here," Misteria said smirking before she and the Sorcerer disappeared.

"Oh no," Sparx said in horror.

"Oh no is right.  Spyro told me that except for the Chi moves; he still knows all the moves Sensei taught him.  But that will be pointless unless he uses either Chi or the Banish spells first or just the Cyclone spell," Red said.

"What do we do though?" Sparx asked.

"First we need to find the other Elders.  Let's head back to Dragon Dojo.  I just hope they're there," Red responded before holding out his hand.

Sparx landed in Red's palm before Red teleported.  They soon arrived at the Dragon Dojo.  Tomas, Ragnar, Titan, Cho Lei and Magnus were there when Red suddenly appeared, Sparx then flying out of Red's palm.  Astor was at the dojo but had returned to Stone Hill half an hour ago.

"What's the trouble?" Titan asked.  He knew that something was wrong upon seeing the look on Red's face.

"We have very big trouble.  The Sorcerer sent Spyro to the Shadow Realm.  The worse new is that because Spyro forgot how to use both Chi and all the spells we've taught him, he won't be able to do anything to the monsters the Sorcerer will send after him," Red responded.

"That's not good.  Not good at all," Ragnar said.

"We've got to do something.  Spyro wil be overwhelmed," Cho Lei said.

"There really isn't much we can do.  If we were to go into the Shadow Realm, the Sorcerer would be able to drain us of our power again," Tomas said.

"Tomas is right," Magnus said.

"I know.  That's what really worries me," Titan said.

/The Shadow Realm won't have any effect on you/

//How can that be?  The Sorcerer drained me of my powers just like the others//

/That's because you and I weren't linked back then.  When I was still alive, I had been sent to the Shadow Realm quite a few times.  All of the other fairies that have been sent there have felt drained of magic, but I soon realized that I was unique.  The Shadow Realm didn't affect me at all.  Don't ask me how because I still don't know/

//So that means that because we're linked now...//

/That's right.  Your magic is now more than strong enough to withstand the dark magic of the Shadow Realm/

//Now I can go in and help Spyro//

/You sure can.  But you have no time to waste.  Spyro could be in big trouble right now.  By the way, Tomas is calling you/

//Huh?//

/You mean you don't see that blue hand in front of your face?/

Red came out of his mental conversation and realized that Tomas's hand was indeed in front of his face.

"I didn't think that you would snap out of it," Tomas said.

"You were talking to Cosma weren't you?" Ragnar asked.

"Yes I was," Red responded.

"What did she say?" Ragnar asked.

"She said that because she and I are linked now, the Shadow Realm won't have any affect on me.  She said that out of all the fairies that have been to the Shadow Realm, she was the only one not affected," Red responded.

"That's very good news," Tomas said.  He went to a small table that had a box on it.  He opened the box to reveal a Shadowstone.  "This was once yours.  Now it's yours once again," he said before giving it to Red.  "Good luck.  Bring Spyro back safely."

"Don't worry.  I will," Red said.  He took the Shadowstone and put it around his neck.  Wasting no more time, he stepped onto the dimension portal on the floor and focused his power into his Shadowstone.  He was soon in the Shadow Realm.  He then went outside.  //Okay, where do I go from here?//

/It would be very helpful if you can pinpoint Spyro's exact location/

//How do I do that?//

/Remember how you were able to locate Spyro when he was buried under the avalanche?  It's sort of like that, but now over a much greater distance.  Try to sense Spyro's aura.  Once you've sensed it, you can easily track him/

Red did as Cosma told him.  It didn't take long before he sensed Spyro's aura.  He immediately took to the skies at full speed.  Meanwhile, Spyro was in the Shadow Realm version of the Wilderness.  He was also in serious trouble.  A group of Shadow Knights had him surrounded.  He tried to Tail Hammer one of them, but the knight wasn't fazed at all.

'Oh no, I have to use Chi or the Cyclone Spell against these monsters.  Too bad I forgot how,' Spyro thought.  He then jumped to the side as a lance came at him.

The knight had brought it down with such force that it caused a small crater in the platform.  Had Spyro not gotten out of the way in time, he would've probably had his head split into.  Then the knights came at him at once.  He barely dodge the simultaneous attack.  But the two knights unintentionally created an opening in the sinister circle.  Spyro quickly took advantage by charging out before the circle closed back up.

Spyro used the whirlwinds to keep out of the Shadow Knight's reach.  But the Shadow Knights weren't all that he would have to deal with.  A red energy blast suddenly knocked him out of a whirlwind.  He looked up and saw the alien-looking monster on the platform he was trying to reach.  The alien monster sent another red blast down on him.  Unfortunately, Spyro had forgotten how to use Wing Shield as well.

Because he forgot how to use Wing Shield, he had to really pay attention to where the blasts would come from.  He dodged left and right.  The alien monster didn't let up its attack on him.  After two hours passed, Spyro was getting very tired.  He knew that he wouldn't be able to dodge much longer.  Suddenly, the attacks had stopped.  Wondering why the attacks suddenly stopped, he looked up and saw a very relieving sight.  The alien monster was not only down, but it also had Red in front of it.  Red had used his Chi energy to stop the alien monster's merciless assault on Spyro.  Then Red used Tail Hammer to finish it off because his enhanced powers greatly enhanced his Critical Strike ability.

"Are you all right Spyro?" Red asked.

"I am now.  Boy am I glad to see you," Spyro responded.

"I'm just glad to see that you're all right," Red said.

Just then, more Shadow Knights and alien monsters appeared.  Red flew down and picked up Spyro before flying up to and putting Spyro on a platform on the tallest tree.

"Stay here Spyro.  I'll handle those monsters," Red said before flying back down to confront the monsters.

'I wish I could help.  But I would only get in the way because I no longer know how to use Chi nor the Shock, Banish and Cyclone spells,' Spyro thought helplessly.

Meanwhile, a certain someone wasn't too happy at this moment.  The Sorcerer, hoping to drain Red got a big surprise.  This time, the Sorcerer was unsuccessful.  He couldn't understand how Red was now immune to the Shadow  Realm's effects.  "How can he withstand the effects of the Shadow Realm?  He shouldn't be able to," he said, watching the events unfold from a magical mirror.

"But you still have an opportunity to get that little pipsqueak.  He's alone now," Misteria said.

"Ah, you're right.  I have just the way, " the Sorcerer said before making an alien monster and a Shadow Knight appear on the platform Spyro was on.

Spyro was peacefully waiting for the battle to end when a Shadow Knight and alien monster suddenly appeared in front of him.  He saw the armor and knew that he was in a big pickle right now.  To make matters worse, he was close to the platform's edge.  The Shadow Knight lunged at him with its lance.  Spyro took a small jump backwards, almost losing his footing and falling off the platform in the process.  Meanwhile, Red had finished off the last of the monsters.  He immediately sensed Spyro in trouble and flew up to where he left Spyro to see Spyro between two enemies and a very long drop.  The Shadow Knight prepared to lunge again.

"Oh no you don't!" Red shouted, using the Cyclone spell.

The magical cyclone headed straight from the Shadow Knight, easily defeating it.  Luckily, Spyro didn't feel the cyclone's winds because Red focused the attack to only affect the Shadow Knight.  But the alien monster quickly sent a blast down on Spyro.  The blast not only knocked Spyro unconscious, but it also knocked him over the edge.

"No!" Red screamed, diving after Spyro.  He soon caught Spyro several moments later and flew back up to where the alien monster was.  "No more fooling around," he said lowly and angrily before unwrapping an arm from around Spyro and waving his hand.

The alien monster instantly vaporized.  Spyro soon regained consciousness.  Red could sense that Spyro was hurt.  Spyro shifted a little and cried in pain.

"Hold still Spyro.  I'll handle your injuries," Red said before healing Spyro.  "Are you all right?" he asked afterwards.

"I am now thanks to you," Spyro responded.  "Can we return to the Real World now?" he asked afterwards.

"We most certainly can," Red said.  He looked down and saw that he was just about right over a dimension portal.  He landed on it, closed his eyes and focused his thoughts on the Real World.

The light silver surroundings of the Shadow Realm suddenly became bright and colorful.

"Hey Spyro, Red," a familiar voice said.

Spyro and Red looked ahead and saw a pink-clad fairy flying towards them.  Red then put Spyro down.

"Hey Trina," Spyro said, as Trina stopped about several inches away from him.

"So how have you and the others been?" Red asked.

"We've been pretty good," Trina responded.  "So what brings you here?" she added.

Spyro told Trina everything that happened.  Trina was deeply disturbed.

"I hoped that the Sorcerer would be gone for good," Trina said.

"Everyone hoped that the Sorcerer wouldn't show his face again," Red said.

"It semes like things just can't stay normal," another familiar voice said.

The trio looked back to see Zoe hovering there.

"Hi Zoe," Red said.

"Hey Red.  How have you been?" Zoe said.

"I've been doing fine for the most part," Red responded.

Then Trina told Zoe what Spyro told her.

"It looks like you had a very close call Spyro," Zoe said.

"I've been having a lot of close calls likely," Spyro said.

"Oh, how so?" a third familiar voice asked.

Aqua wondered where Zoe and Trina went to and flew off in the direction they took.  She was surprised and happy upon seeing Spyro and Red and wanted to greet them as well.  Amp and Freezia were close behind.

"Hey there Spyro," Freezia said.

"Hello Freezia," Spyro said.

"So how have you been?" Red asked.

Freezia could tell that Red still felt very guilty about what happened in the past.  "Stop feeling guilty Red.  Remember, I forgave you for trapping me inside your staff.  Oh, and I've been doing fine by the way," she responded.

"I know that it's in the past but I can't help but feel guilty.  I almost destroyed the Dragon World," Red said.

"So, tell us about the close calls you've had Spyro," Aqua said.

Spyro and Red took turns explaining what had happened over the past two weeks.  The sky was already dark when they finished.

"Wow.  That's too much excitement for just two weeks," Amp said.

"Tell us about it," Spyro and Red said simultaneously.

Then Spyro gave a yawn.  "We should be heading back to the Dragon World," he said.

"One more thing," Trina said.  She flew off.  She returned a few moments later with different kinds of berries.  She set the berries down in front of Spyro and Red.  She made several trips back and forth to get berries for them.  "Have something to eat before you go," she added.

"Thanks Trina," Spyro and Red said before sitting down to eat the berries.

Upon feeling the berries, Red picked up Spyro and prepared to teleport.

"Don't forget that you're welcome here anytime," Zoe said.

"We won't Zoe," Spyro said.

"Bye Spyro.  Bye Red," Trina said.

"Bye everyone," Spyro and Red said before Red teleported.

"I still find it hard to believe that Red is Spyro's father," Amp said after Red and Spyro left.

"You said it," Aqua said.

"I'm just glad that things turned out for the best for both of them," Freezia said.

"We all are," Zoe said as the others nodded.

Meanwhile, Red had appeared back in Dragon Dojo.  The Elders were greatly relieved to see Spyro and Red back safely.  Spyro had fallen asleep and was snuggled in Red's arms.

"Red, thank goodness you and Spyro are back safe," Tomas said quietly.

"What happened?" Ragnar asked quietly.

"I think that it would be better to save that story for morning.  Spyro is quite tired, and I can use a good rest myself," Red responded.  He yawned soon after, proving his point.  "Do you mind us crashing at your place for the night Titan?" he added.

"Do you even need to ask?  You're more than welcome to spend the night at my house," Titan responded before leading Red towards his house.

Upon entering the house, Red put Spyro in the bed.  He then got settled on the couch that was a few feet away.  He was about to fall alseep when he saw Titan standing in front of him.  He then sat up.

"The bed is big enough for you to get in as well," Titan said.

"Are you sure that you don't want to get into the bed?  It is yours after all," Red said.

"I'm sure.  Besides, I think that Spyro wants to sleep next to you," Titan said, motioning to Spyro.

Red slowly stood up and looked to see Spyro appearing to be reaching for something.  He smiled before getting into the bed himself.  He wrapped his arms around Spyro, pulling Spyro close to his chest.  Upon feeling the familiar arms around him, Spyro snuggled closer.  Still smiling, Red held Spyro a bit tighter.

"Goodnight dad," Spyro said yawning, eyes still closed.

"Goodnight Spyro," Red said before falling asleep himself.

Titan smiled at the pair before putting the sheets over them.  After doing that, he headed towards the couch.  He took the blanket that was draped across the top.  He then got settled and fell asleep himself.  A few seconds later, Sparx came in through the front window.  He made his way over to where Spyro and Red were sleeping.  He soon got settled and was fast asleep like the others.





And that's the end to this chapter.  Things are really starting to heat up as this story nears its end.  Only three chapters left.  Preview for Chapter 8: Parasite Forest: After a year has passed, things seem to be normal again.  But the normal feeling is shattered when the Sorcerer strikes again, sending Spyro to his world.  Fortunately, Red rescues him.  Not long afterwards, a group of very familiar and very fun-loving witch doctors decide to pay Spyro and friends a visit.  But when the fun is over, Misteria strikes, sending Spyro to Parasite Forest.  This time, Spyro has more than just the parasite vines to watch out for.  Will Red make it to him in time?  Stay tuned to find out.