Star Trek - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Bridging the Gap ❯ Bridging the Gap ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Star Trek. This is merely an expression of my fandom towards an awesome science-fiction series. Star Trek is a creation of the late Gene Roddenberry, whose memory shall live on in the hearts of all Star Trek fans.
 
Bridging the Gap
 
As Long as I've known, I've been fascinated by them. They strike fear into the hearts of trillions, but to me, I've felt a strange calm when learning about them. I had put through some ideas to my professors, but they were immediately dismissed as “fantasies thought up by a disillusioned youth”. Never before had I been so angry to be ridiculed for any of my beliefs, but this one, I truly put my whole self into.
 
`You'll get yours…' I thought to myself. `You old fools.'
 
Perhaps I should start by introducing myself. I am Matt Teuber, a cadet at Starfleet Academy, although to be honest, I've always felt as if I've belonged to something greater.
 
“Hey, Matt!” I hear a voice call out. “Wait up!”
 
With a sigh, I come out of my thoughts and slow to a halt, allowing my best friend, Wesley Crusher, to catch up. He's looking really good in his uniform. I'm glad he was convinced to return to the academy. Yes, I admit, I kinda like him, but who wouldn't? He's cute. I used to be obsessed over him, but that was before I realised that such feelings would only get in the way of greatness. I flash Wes a smile as he catches up and strikes up small talk. However, my head is in the clouds, thinking of what life would be like if I were one, just one being among many. You've probably already guessed it. If you're wondering, the answer is true. I have a great deal of interest… in the Borg.
 
 
*****~~~~~*****
 
A few days pass by, before graduation. I had no worries about it. I knew I would pass all my classes. I was often referred to as “Information Assimilator”, due to my ability to store what I'd learnt. It wasn't a secret that I was fascinated by the collective, and many saw it as a step in the universe's fight against a deadly enemy. I had joked about my nickname once, calling myself “One of Four, Primary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01”, getting me strange looks from my classmates. I didn't care. Anyway, I was pulled aside by Vice-Admiral Janeway, who informed me that there was a deep space assignment she figured I'd be interested in.
 
“It involves the Borg,” she told me. “We've received intelligence reports that there is some Borg activity near the Tao Draconis system, a few thousand light years away. If you accept, you would be sent on our prototype shuttle with someone.”
 
A wide smile came over my face and I eagerly accepted. My eyes widened as I learned the one to join me would be Wesley Crusher, due to his exemplary work aboard the Enterprise.
 
“Thank you, Admiral…” I gushed. “I'll prepare right away.”
 
Admiral Janeway grinned and shook her head, before informing me that my personal effects had already been shipped off. All I needed to do was show up. Thanking me for agreeing to a dangerous mission, she informed me that I immediately earned the rank of Ensign. Wesley, due to his experience, had just been promoted to Lieutenant. The admiral bade me farewell, allowing me to take my leave of her. With excitement, I headed towards the transport site.
 
~~~~~*****~~~~~
 
The shuttle was amazing, fitted with prototype transwarp technology, adapted from the Borg. This would make travel less time-consuming. As I stood proudly in my new uniform, Lieutenant Crusher stood before me, grinning.
 
“So,” he began. “Nervous?”
 
I smirked back at him and shook my head.
 
“Try excited?” I quipped. “I've been waiting for a chance to get close to the Borg.”
 
I could've sworn that Wesley's smile slightly faded at my enthusiasm, but I ignored it.
 
“Be careful,” he said suddenly, snapping me out of my thoughts. “The Borg are a very dangerous foe. You should exercise caution around them. I've seen firsthand what they're capable of.”
 
My smirk faded, my expression becoming serious.
 
“I will,” I assured him. “Don't worry about that. Permission to get underway, sir?”
 
Wesley grinned at me and nodded.
 
“Okay,” he said, sounding very official. “Permission granted.”
 
As we sat down at our stations, we brought the transwarp coil online, before setting course for the Tao Draconis system.
 
~~~~~*****~~~~~
 
We arrived in less than three hours, the both of us having spoken of any future plans. Actually, I just asked Wes about his plans, and listened to him talk. I didn't want to tell him my plans. Anyway, upon arrival, we scanned the area, and noticed that there was destruction laid out before us. The Borg had been here alright, and they had attacked a planet which resisted them.
 
“Bastards,” Wes hissed through clenched teeth. “Will they stop at nothing to bring the suffering of all races?”
 
I said nothing, and began scanning around for any signs of a vessel.
 
“Sir,” I said suddenly and officially. “I'm detecting one ship, a cube, on a heading of 937 mark 1. They are currently travelling at High warp. Shall we follow them?”
 
Wesley didn't even let me answer, taking our shuttle and plotting a pursuit course.
 
“We can't let them escape unpunished…” he ground out. “We'll destroy them from the inside out.”
 
I frowned, turning to face my best friend.
 
“But, Wes…” I pleaded, before catching myself. “I mean, sir. With all due respect, our mission is of reconnaissance. We need to find out as much as we can.”
 
Wesley glanced at me, before giving a sigh.
 
“You're right,” he mumbled. “Sorry. I've just never been able to forgive them… since they killed an old girlfriend I had, back on the Enterprise.”
 
I blinked, before turning back to my station.
 
“It's okay,” I said softly. “Let's just complete this mission.”
 
Wesley smiled at me, before clapping a hand on my shoulder. Turning back to his station, he failed to notice a slight tug on my lips. They curled up ever so slightly, my plans coming closer to fruition.
 
~~~~~*****~~~~~
 
An hour later, I beamed aboard the Borg vessel, glancing around in awe at the sight of the interior. There were tens of thousands of drones, 80% of them in regeneration mode. The remaining 20% were performing other tasks. I was too intrigued by watching some drones that I wasn't watching where I was going, and before I knew it, I had bumped into a drone. He stared at me for a moment, before moving past me. Obviously, he didn't consider me a threat.
 
`I need to change that,' I thought. `I want them to acknowledge my presence, otherwise my plan won't--…'
 
“How's it going there, Matt?” Wesley's voice called out through my commbadge. “Anything yet?”
 
I gave a slight grin. He was checking up on me. I felt slightly flattered. He was worried about me, but he had no need to.
 
“Nothing yet, sir…” I said. “I'm approaching a forcefield protected area though. A dampening field is set up, so we'll lose communication for a while.”
 
Wesley acknowledged my reply, and told me to contact him if I had any further information. I smirked. It was time to put my plan to action.
 
~~~~~*****~~~~~
 
Whipping out my phaser, I set it to low stun and fired it at a section I knew would be forcefield protected. I wasn't let down, as the field shimmered a dull orange. Suddenly, I heard what I had been destined to hear.
 
“We are the Borg,” the collective voices called out. “You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.”
 
I noticed several drones emerge from their alcoves, but I reacted quickly.
 
“I have a proposition which you may find interesting!” I called out. “Allow me to make it before you assimilate me!”
 
“Discussion is irrelevant…” the collective said. “Your proposition is irrelevant. We will--…”
 
“Yes, yes…” I interrupted. “You will add my biological and technological distinctiveness to your own. Resistance is futile. I have done my homework on you. However, my proposition will benefit the collective.”
 
I grinned as drones stopped lurching towards me, the collective thinking for a moment, before speaking up again.
 
“State your proposition…”
 
I wasted no time in explaining my case.
 
“It seems you have a great deal of resistance,” I said. “You wish to assimilate humanity, but they refuse to allow it. I propose you delegate someone to be an ambassador of sorts, to bridge the gap between humanity and the Borg.”
 
I smirked at their reply, anticipating it before they even gave it.
 
“Irrelevant,” the collective said. “We elected delegates twice, and attempts failed.”
 
“But, this time will be different…” I assured them. “Both attempts were made using drones that were unwillingly made drones. However, what if you had someone willing to join the collective to help? Someone… like me?”
 
~~~~~*****~~~~~
 
I had reached the dangerous part of my proposal. The Borg would now demand I explain my terms. I would have to be careful how I expressed them. I took a breath and continued.
 
“I wish to join the collective,” I continued. “I will become your ambassador for humanity. However, there is a condition…”
 
The collective wasted no time in replying.
 
“A condition…” they parroted. “State your condition.”
 
My smirk widened.
 
“I am willing to be assimilated,” I answered. “But, I wish to maintain my individuality… otherwise, it may not work. Humanity will not believe a mindless puppet of the collective, but as I am an individual, who was willing to be assimilated, they would want to know why. I know you can make it happen… that I can be an individual, yet still hear the collective voices.”
 
I waited a few moments after finishing, and was not disappointed by their reply.
 
“We will accept your condition,” they said. “However, your assimilation will need to be different. We have reprogrammed the assimilation nanoprobes. Prepare for assimilation.”
 
I was given only a second to prepare, as the nearest drone to me moved forward and injected my neck with tubules. I could feel my DNA being changed, but most of my physical appearance didn't change. The only change was that of my eyes. They took on the same metallic appearance as the other drones. I was impressed. I could already hear the collective voices, but I maintained my individuality, and earned all the power of the Borg.
 
“Prove to us your words are true,” the collective demanded. “Bring to us a human.”
 
I gave a wide grin. I knew who to bring. My mind already pictured my target. Wesley Crusher.
 
~~~~~*****~~~~~
 
My grin became a wider smirk as I felt the power of the collective. As I thought of Wesley, my smug expression faded as he appeared before me. I knew I was betraying his friendship, but soon, it wouldn't matter. We'd become even closer. His eyes widened as he took in his surroundings.
 
“What the hell?!” he exclaimed. “What's going on?!”
 
His hand reached for his phaser, but I grabbed his hand before it even reached the weapon. Such speed! I was exhilarated. His expression became even more horrified as he stared at me.
 
“Matt…” he choked out. “What are you--?”
 
I gave a slight smile.
 
“I'm sorry, Wes…” I said. “I have a job to do, and I'll complete it, no matter what.”
 
Wesley looked at me incredulously, wondering what I meant. That's when he noticed the difference in my eyes.
 
“No…” he gasped. “Not you…”
 
I merely nodded, my smile widening. I knew it wasn't pleasant to look at, but still, it was a true smile. I wasn't forcing it.
 
“I am the future of the Borg…” I continued. “With me, the Borg will achieve their goal of perfection. I will bring them closer, by bringing you closer to us.”
 
My right hand reached up, and before he could react, I was injecting him with my assimilation tubules. I watched solemnly as the colour drained from his horrified face, tendrils appearing all over. Within moments, I could hear him in the collective voices.
 
`Welcome, friend…' I thought to him. `Welcome, to our future.'
 
With that, the cube changed course, and we headed towards Earth, and when we arrived, I made sure humanity knew of a change in the Borg.
 
We are the Borg. A future of perfection shall await all who join us.
 
The End