InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Stardust ❯ Guilty Dissapointment ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: If I owned Inu-Yasha, I wouldn't be wasting my time with fanfiction, now, would I?

Author's Note: Hey hey! Here I am with chapter three. ^_^ A lot of comments about how Kagome is very OOC right now. Like I said last chapter, yes, I know. But she's like that for a reason. I really appreciate and applaud those who caught the moments when her real personality shone through. XD Yea for you!

Anyway, I have a few things to say about my updating system- some of you have been mentioning that you haven't been getting my e-mails about when I post new chapters. That may be because I didn't have your address down, but also- some of the addresses that I send stuff to doesn't go through. I'm not sure why, maybe it doesn't recognize my address. All the same- I do send them. Some computers just don't receive them. Gomen ne!

Finally- AUGH! School started for me TODAY! Nooooo! T_T ::sighs:: So, like I warned in Headlines, updates may be fewer and farther between from now on. But no worries- I promise to write when I can. ^_^

That all said, please enjoy this chapter! XD

~*~

*

*

*

STARDUST

*

*

*

"Not he who has little, but he who wishes more, is poor." ~ Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

*

CHAPTER THREE: GUILTY DISSAPOINTMENT

*

"Not bad Inu-Yasha. . . not bad at all!" Sango giggled as she threw herself onto a large red poof, eyeing the maroon and gold room around her. Charms and chimes tinkled from the ceiling as magenta veils tickled the blood colored walls, multicolored glass collecting the sunset's glow outside and, with the help of the many scented lamps, lighting the room cheerfully. "Especially for one as clumsy as you are when it comes to stealing. You really delivered when you accidentally grabbed that lamp! Talk about dumb luck!"


Clumsy? Dumb?! HIM? "Hey!" Inu-Yasha began to growl in protest; cheeks flaming- but his other best friend distracted him with a timely compliment.

"This place is fantastic!" Miroku gaped; walking in from the hall lined with artwork. "Now- what did you do with OUR place?"

"Huh? Oh! Haha- This IS our place!" the younger man grinned, waving an excited hand around the palace that now stood in place of the hut that had been. "Only I've. . . changed it a bit."

"I should say!" the eldest laughed, still in a state of shock as he whistled. "By the way- where'd you get the new threads?"

"Oh, these?" Inu inquired lightly, smoothing his hands down his new silk vest-and-pants combination. "Just a little something I had Kagome whip up. Literally." He chuckled at his own joke, twisting the many rings on his fingers as Kagome; who sat hidden in the corner; glanced briefly up from twiddling her thumbs. She smiled at her master and his friends before leaning back against the wall again, an unreadable expression on her face. "There's some just as fine in your guy's new bedroom- if you're nice, of course," the young man continued, oblivious to Kag and her feelings. "But you might want to wait and change until tomorrow."

What. . . ?


"New clothes?" the chestnut haired woman gasped, clapping her hands together as her eyes lit up. "Really?! I haven't had new clothes since- since- well, I don't know if I ever have! And- - - we get our own bedroom?!"

Inu-Yasha began to laugh again, hands planted to his hips in an almost haughty fashion. "Why, I reckon there are enough rooms in here for everyone in the country! . . . Well, maybe not that many, but Kagome could add on if we needed it. Right, Kagome?" He turned to face the girl again, beaming toothily at her as she tiredly glanced up once more. She managed to smile weakly in return.

"Whatever you desire, Master Inu-Yasha," she repeated, pushing herself to her feet- only to fall for the umpteenth time into a bow. But this one seemed wearier than the others- and her eyes contained an almost disappointed gleam. Not that her master took any notice. "And I shall grant it to its fullest extent."

"You see?" he pointed towards her, a look of indescribable, gleeful greed in his eyes. "I- I mean, we- could have anything! Anything we want! Forever! We'll never go hungry or homeless again!"

"Wow. . ." the married couple cooed, awestruck as excitement began to course through their veins as well. No more scavenging. . . ? No more lying. . . ? No more stealing or empty bellies- - - ?! It was a dream come true!

"Our lives are finally taking a turn for the better!" Sango squealed, hoping up and down once before rushing over and embracing Kagome, almost crying with happiness. "Thank you! Thank you so much!"

"Ah- - -!"The magical one seemed surprised by this sudden display of affection- but as quickly as the shock had come it faded away and was replaced by a guilty grin. Nodding nervously, Kag began tentatively patting the older female's back, looking unsure. "Uh. . . no problem?" Miroku just smiled before gently tugging his wife away- seeing as how it appeared she was suffocating the girl. Inu-Yasha simply continued to chuckle, before cutting himself off with a sudden yawn.

"Oh. . ." he stretched, blinking his bleary eyes. "All that work today made me tired . . . I'm gonna head off to bed, guys. You might want to do the same." The other two nodded excitedly before bounding off, still fascinated by their new home. Inu, however, already looking bored, simply bushed his way through the curtain-blocked doorways and halls, eventually making it to his bedroom.

It was probably the largest room in the house, his bedroom- blood red with a huge canopied bed in the center of it all. A large window, like the old wall-sized one (which was no more), was placed on the far right- looking out over the far away city. Veils and poofs like the ones in the living room were situated around as well, in addition to twenty lamps and countless golden statues.

"Ah. . ." he sighed in content before pulling off his vest and pants. Tossing them into the corner, he stuck a hand into the large chest by his bed and yanked out a nightshirt of blue silk. After taking a moment to inspect the silver trimming of the pattern, he tugged it on- - -

Just as Kagome poked her face into the room. "Master. . . ?"

"Ack!" the male cried, blood rushing up to his cheeks as he spun around, just having covered. . . his more private areas. . . with his pajamas. "Kagome! I was changing in here! Knock or something, stupid!"

"Oh. . ." her face fell as she inclined her head, resting it and a hand against the doorframe. The rest of her body was still hidden behind the corner. "A thousand and one apologies, Master Inu-Yasha. I do hope you can forgive me."

"Well. . . whatever," he shrugged, hopping into bed as the girl let herself in, gliding nervously over to Inu-Yasha's side and sitting down. He quirked an eyebrow as he finally noticed her worried expression. About time. "What's the matter, Kagome?"

What was the matter. . . ? Such a complex question. She began chewing her painted bottom lip as he asked, and then took a deep breath when he fell silent again.

"Master Inu-Yasha," Kag began slowly, eyes glued on her fidgeting fingers, ". . .are you happy yet?"

. . . What?

The poor-man-turned-rich blinked once, confused. "What do you mean?"

"Does all this make you happy?" she clarified, lifting her hands and gesturing towards all his new things- the faintest of desperate glimmers in her eyes. A glimmer that her master missed completely.

Was he happy? A good question. . .

"Well. . . I suppose," he shrugged easily after half a second of thought, allowing his lashes to flutter shut. "But why should I be completely happy when I still have more wishes?"

More wishes. . . Kagome instantly deflated. "Oh. . ."

Inu-Yasha, missing the disappointment in her voice, cracked one eye open- staring at her. "Oi, Kagome?"

The girl sucked in her cheeks a plastered a smile on her face. "Yes?" `Maybe he's caught on to more than I thought. . . ?'

"I was wondering," he began nonchalantly, playing with his sheets. "Being some sort of genie or whatever, you must have granted a lot of wishes."

`. . . Guess not.' "Mmm," she agreed, looking away- out the window, where the desert stars were twinkling like diamonds. "Many, many wishes, Master."

"Then you must know what are the best things to want. What wishes bring the best results," he surmised, a smirk finding its way to his lips. "So- What would you wish for, Kagome?"

. . . Huh? What would she. . . ?!

She blinked once- before stiffening in absolute horror. "Me?!" she gasped, shuffling a few feet away from him- clutching the end post of his bed. "Me- - - ?! Oh no! No, no, no, no!" Her azure eyes darted from left to right, her already pale skin draining itself of blood. Inu-Yasha instantly sat up, bewildered at her behavior as she began to tremble. "Oh, Master," she breathed, biting her thumbnail nervously. "I am not even allowed to utter that word, let alone use it!"

"What? `Wish'?" Completely blown away with confusion, Inu-Yasha tilted his head. "Why?"

"It is a sin," she whispered, leaning in a bit- as if telling a secret. "It is a sin. . . but no matter!" Suddenly- and quite spontaneously- clapping her hands, the girl launched herself from her corner and bounded like a bunny into Inu's lap. He froze in embarrassment as she cuddled into his chest. "What is your next desire, Master?" Kagome breathed as she began running her hands up and down his chest, slowly moving her legs so that she was straddling him; pushing him back onto the be- - -

She stopped when he caught her wrists, his face on fire as he pushed her off of him. "We went through this! No! Bad girl!"

"Oh, yes! A thousand and one apologies- - - !," she sang, almost dangling in front of him- seeing as how he'd locked her arms over her head with his hands. "Now, what would you like?"

Inu-Yasha frowned, still a bit annoyed. What did he want. . . ? Should he wish for Kikyo's heart, now that he was richer than the sultan? Or perhaps he should wish to be more suave first? Or. . . or. . .

". . . Especially for one as clumsy as you are. . ."

The boy's lips continued to turn downward as Sango's words echoed through his mind. Yes- clumsy. Dumb. Was he really that bad. . . ? Would the princess love him if he was?

"Master Inu-Yasha. . . ?"

He jumped slightly at Kagome's timid voice, quickly returning to reality as she gently tugged at her wrists. "Uh. . .this sort of hurts. . ."

"Huh? Oh yeah- sorry," he grunted, releasing her. Of course, by saying that word he inevitably started up her usual `please forgive me' crap, but he just tuned her out. It was getting easier and easier, he noticed. But back to the more important matter at hand. . .

"I've decided!" he announced, cutting of Kagome's next words. Not that it mattered, she was probably still groveling anyway. . .

"So sor- - -Ho. . . ?" she blinked, lacing her hands and setting them between her knees as she fell back onto her bottom, relaxing once more. "And what is your next desire, my master?" `Be smart, be smart, be smart, be smar- - - !'

"I wish," he began, a superior glint in his eyes as his smile widened, "for stealth. For grace! For all the qualities those dogs at the bazaar have- the ones that can steal food and stuff without getting caught!" Inu-Yasha grinned to himself as he tapped his chin, a thoughtful expression on his face. "After all, I've heard that `inu' means dog in some cultures. . ."

. . .

Kagome simply stared at him, dumbfounded, as her eyebrow began twitching. Then her lip began to form a sneer as she closed her eyes, looking away. What the heck was he- - - ?! "You. . .

You. . .

You idiot!" she hissed under her breath, sounding for all the world as annoyed as hell.

`. . . Idiot?' Inu-Yasha did a double take, staring at her. Did she just- - -? "Pardon me?"


"Oh? Ah!" the girl's blue-gray pools instantly snapped open, on her face a guilty smile as she waved her hands. "Nothing, my Master! Ha ha- Just my foolish mouth prattling on! But. . ." She fell momentarily silent as she touched his face- that odd glitter back inside her eyes. "But, Master Inu-Yasha, are you very sure that that is what you want. . . ?"

Sure?! "Uh. . . yeah," he nodded, a confident look on his face and a `duh' tone in his voice. "Quite. Now grant it!"

Now grant it. . . Hark, the treatment she was used to. Perhaps he wasn't as smart as she'd originally hoped. . .

Kag blew out her cheeks discreetly before forcing a beam on her face. She had to follow the rules. "Anything my master desires, I shall grant to its fullest extent. Done." And with that she snapped her magical fingers- all the lamps blew themselves out- and- - - -

Inu-Yasha blinked in the darkness. ". . . Nothing happened, did it?" He didn't feel any different, anyway.

The female before him simply smiled, shaking her head slightly- her face covered by shadows. "Give it time, my Master. Give it time. But now- - - !" She brought her hands together, once again the most cheerful person on the face of the earth. "It is time for bed!" Hopping off of the mattress- only to lean over and fluff Inu's pillow- Kagome walked over to the window and gently tugged the curtains, pulling them partly shut. Then she opened her mouth, as if to say something, before pausing.

`. . . ?' Inu, who was snuggled down in bed, chuckled as he watched her face contort in thought. "What is it, Kagome?"

"Wha- - ?" She jumped in surprise at his voice, and then blushed- not having realized she was being watched. "Uh. . . Does my master mind if I sing?"

. . . ?

Sing. . . ? Odd request, but. . . what was the harm? He hadn't heard a song since his mother died so many years ago. . . Sango wasn't much of a musician (He already pitied her unborn child) and neither was he or Miroku, so. . .

"All right. . ." he yawned, closing his eyes. "Go ahead."

". . . Thank you," she whispered before seating herself on the window ledge and staring up at the millions of souls in the sky.

"Thinking on a dream that seems far off

Hoping it will come today. . .

Into the star-lit night

Foolish dreamers turn their gaze

Waiting on a shooting star. . ."

Inu-Yasha mind- though heavy and full of cotton, half gone in the world of dreams- couldn't help but register his astonishment. She had an incredible voice. . . And as she sung, he could hear her approach him, pulling his covers to his chin and tucking him gently in for the night.

"But

What if that star is not to come?
Will their dreams fade to nothing?
When the horizon darkens most

We all need to believe there is hope. . . !"

She gently pressed her lips to his forehead before smoothing his hair, resting her crossed arms under her chin as she kneeled beside his bed.

"Is an angel watching closely over me?
Can their be a guiding light I've yet to see?
I know my heart should guide me, but-

There's a hole within my soul!"

`What a sad song. . .' he mused, before succumbing completely to sleep- still trying to hold on to the sound of her voice. Kagome smiled sadly as she watched her Master drift into slumber, his face finally relaxing enough to reveal an expression of childlike innocence.

She was feeling terrible already.

"What will fill this emptiness inside of me?
Am I to be satisfied without knowing. . . ?

I hope then for a chance to see

Now all I need. . ." Getting to her feet, Kag walked back to the glass and watched the heavens shine above her. "Desperately. ."

With a sigh and a shake of her head, she forced a small, sad smile back onto her lips.

"Is my. . .

Star to come. . ."

`I'm so sorry, Master Inu-Yasha. . .'

~*~

What's she sorry about? We'll have to wait to find out, won't we? ^_~

Thanks for reading! Please R&R!

Ja ne!

PS. Kagome's song was a slightly altered `Wind's Nocturne'. Very beautiful, very pretty, very much worth hearing. I'll try and post a URL next chapter. ^_^