Stargate SG1 Fan Fiction / Stargate: Atlantis Fan Fiction / Star Trek - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Countdown ❯ Part 1: ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
111000111000011100011111111100000111111111111000011110000001111100000111111

Date : 121208, 141208, 171208

Disclaimer : All Stargate and Star Trek characters and concepts belong to respective creators and owners.

1110001110000111000111111111000001111111111110000111100000 01111100000111111

What if the self-destruct mechanism had not failed when Captain Picard had initiated its countdown? What would have happened? Would things have changed or would they have stayed the same?

111000111000011100011111111100000111111111111000011110000001 111100000111111

C O U N T D O W N

Part 1:

"Computer, initiate self-destruct sequence."

"Enter self-destruct code."

"Does, the First Officer concur?"

"Yes."

"Enter self-destruct code."

"Self-destruct sequence commencing. This ship will self-destruct in five minutes."

Meanwhile onboard the Scimitar,

"Praetor, they've activated their self-destruct measure," A Reman technician manning one of the stations warned.

"Initiate full reverse and set a course for Earth. We must complete the mission. You are right, Picard. There are some things worth dying for," the dying Praetor gasped sinisterly through the nerve-wrecking pain engulfing his back.

The whole ship shook as the large sinister warbird began to pull away slowly from the smaller Federation ship.

"Computer, abort self-destruct," the captain ordered.

"Self-destruct mechanism malfunctioned. Self-destruct sequence cannot be aborted," the computer chimed.

A chill settled over the crew of the Enterprise.

"Geordi ... find a way of stopping the self-destruct sequence. The rest of us will board the Scimitar. Picard here ... All available crewmembers to transporter room. The Scimitar must not be allowed to escape," the bald-headed captain of the Enterprise ordered.

Five beams of light appeared in one of the abandoned corridors of the Scimitar. Followed by another and another. Picard and Data opened fire with their phasers, taking out the guards around them.

"Praetor, there are intruders onboard the vessel!" a Reman soldier shouted a warning.

"Picard ... he's here! Sound the alarm! All available guards to the bridge! Find and kill all intruders!" the Praetor ordered.

Corridor by corridor, room by room and deck by deck ... the battle was undoubtably intense with both sides aware of the consequences of failure. Finally, the battle came to a halt with the the badly deformed Praetor and his Reman guards lying dead on the cold metallic floors of the Scimitar.

"Data! Get us out of here, quickly! All crew members to battlestations! The Enterprise could blow up any moment now!"

"Captain ... the Scimitar is already going into warp ... " the android spoke as he stood next to the dead Reman guard lying on the floor.

"Beam Geordi out of there!"

"Done," the android answered as Geordi appeared in front of them.

The stars in front of the screen lengthened into beams of starlight and then ...

"The Enterprise has self-destruct. The wake of the explosion will hit us in five seconds. Raising shields ... "

Instinctively, all the seasoned crewmembers of the Enterprise braced themselves for impact. The structure of the Bassen Rift began to distort as the explosion from the warp core of the Enterprise began to interact with it.

"Captain, the Bassen Rift is destabilizing. I am picking up a massive surge in tachyons ... " Data warned.

"Take us out of here!" the captain ordered frantically.

Too late, the maelstrom of dimensional energies behind them swelled rapidly into a vortex before swallowing the Scimitar whole. It expanded for sometime before fading into nothingness. As the vortex disappeared from sight, the crew of the Romulan Warbird, Valdore could clearly see that the Scimitar was gone like it never existed.

111000111000011100011111111100000111111111111000011110000 001111100000111111

Darkness ...

In the beginning was the darkness ... and the Spirit of God hovered over the waters over the deep. Then the Lord saith, "Let there be light," and there was light.

"He's waking up," a female voice spoke.

"Captain, good to see that you're awake," a second voice that sounded familiar answered.

"What happened? Is everyone alright? Dr. Crusher?" the Captain asked.

"You were out for three days. Life support is now back online and so is most of the crew. The Scimitar has suffered some hull damage from the collision but it is still functional although the hangar is badly damaged and needs to be fixed to used it once again. All weapon systems with the exception of the thalaron matrix are offline. All healthy crew members are now attending to the repairs onboard the ship," the android replied.

"They are repairing the Scimitar? I thought that our mission was to make sure that this ship would be destroyed upon our return into Federation space," the Captain voiced out his displeasure.

"We have a problem with regards to that, Captain. According to the sensor readings that I've been taking, we are no longer anywhere near Federation space or even in the Alpha Quadrant. As a matter of fact, I'm quite sure that we are no longer even in the same universe," the android explained.

"What do you mean?" Picard asked fearing the answer.

"When the warp core of the Enterprise detonated, it further destabilised the Bassen Rift causing a tear to appear in the spacetime continuum. This tear enlarged rapidly eventually pulling the Scimitar into it. Like other tears in the spacetime fabric, it served as a transit point to another reality. Which means that we have entered another universe where things have turned out differently. For example, I have been monitoring the subspace channel since we got here and there are no subspace transmissions of any sort whatsoever like it were in the Alpha Quadrant. I was, however, able to pick up several old transmissions using the EM bandwidth from Earth. And from the sensor analysis it appears to be transmissions from Earth's 21st century in the year 2002. There's more. Perhaps it would be easier if I showed you. Computer, play back all transmissions relating to the TV series 'Star Trek'," the android ordered the ship's computer.

Captain Picard and the crew on the bridge watched the 'Star Trek' episode in a mixture of shocked silence and fascination.

"Impossible ...," Riker whispered under his breath.

"We're nothing but a bunch of characters from a TV series here?" said Geordi, the chief engineer on the bridge.

"And all our adventures are nothing but the product of someone's imagination?" echoed Worf skeptically.

"That would be the case. I have analysed all the shows and stories associated with this Star Trek series and they are all one hundred percent accurate except for one show," Data answered.

"One hundred percent accurate?" Riker looked at Data questioningly.

"I have downloaded them into the Scimitar's databanks so that we can analysed them at our leisure," the android answered.

"Data, you mentioned that all the shows were one hundred percent accurate except for one," the captain pointed out.

"That's right, sir. The show in which we fought Shinzon. In that show, the self-destruct mechanism had malfunctioned before it could be used while in our case it had malfunctioned after the Captain gave the order the first time. It is called 'Star Trek: Nemesis'. In that show, The Scimitar was destroyed. Not the Enterprise. Computer, play recording on 'Star Trek: Nemesis'," the android ordered.

The crew watched in shocked silence until they reached the part where the Enterprise collided with the Scimitar. They heard the captain gave the order for the ship to self-destruct but it failed before it could be used.

"Take note. This is where the similarities between our situation and the situation as described in the show ends. From here onwards, things are different," Data explained.

The crew continued to watch in silence until the show came to an end.

"This is unbelievable!" Riker exclaimed.

"Things are different just because of the Enterprise's self-destruct mechanism?" Geordi asked in disbelief.

"That would be true but not quite accurate. Things are different because of the difference in the timing of the malfunction in the self-destruct mechanism aboard the Enterprise," Data answered.

"And the destruction of the Enterprise is what caused us to be here?" Dr. Crusher asked.

"That looks to be the case as the explosion from the warp core nacelles of the Enterprise destabilised the Bassen Rift," the android confirmed.

"I have one other question. Why didn't the explosion from the Scimitar destabilise the Bassen Rift?" Picard asked.

"With regards to that I have one theory. It is difficult to confirm that without going through it but I believe that the Bassen Rift did not destablise from the destruction of the Scimitar because it was the thalaron generator that caused its destruction. Not the warp core," the android explained.

"Very well. In the meantime, keep me posted on the progress of the repairs onboard the Scimitar. Once it is done, we shall find a way home," the captain vowed.

"Captain, I have a suggestion to make. Once all the weapons are fully functional again, I propose we head in the direction of Mars under heavy cloak to secure enough raw materials to repair the structure of the Scimitar," the android continued with his tireless tirade.

"Mars?" the bald-headed captain of the Enterprise echoed.

"That's right since most of the raw materials that we used to construct our starships from are found there," the android explained.

"Very well. Make it so but make sure that our actions remain undetected by this Earth's inhabitants. We do not want to disrupt the timeline in anyway. In the meantime, I will be in my ready room," Picard added.

11100011100001110001111111110000011111111111100001111000000 1111100000111111

The repairs to the Scimitar were done as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, progress was slow even with Data's android abilities and Geordi's engineering skills. This was due to three reasons. One, the Scimitar was a large ship. Thus damage was spread over a wider area. Two, the hangar that housed all the fighters and shuttlecraft was no longer structurally sound after the collision with the frontal section of the Enterprise. Therefore, shuttle travel to and fro from the hangar was very difficult if not outright impossible. Three, the engineering team was not used to working with Reman technology and equipment. Naturally, this being the first time they had ever come into contact with it.

As a result, the repairs took a painstakingly long time. Still they persisted with the repairs (necessity is the mother of invention, after all) and eventually they succeeded.

During this time, the Captain and his First Officer spent most of their time familiarizing themselves with the dark and gloomy confines of the dreaded Warbird while the rest of the crew worked steadily on the repairs of the ship. There was little doubt in their minds that it was larger on the inside than the Enterprise. They could only marvel at the resources, skill and time taken to build this ship. It was certainly no short length of time, that was for sure. When they were not familiarizing themselves with the Scimitar, they watched the 'Star Trek' episodes with a mixture of fascination and dread.

"What do you think, Number One?" Picard asked as the two men watched another Star Trek episode on the viewscreen.

"It is as Data described. The show is shockingly accurate beyond belief. Not to mention if these were all true, it would explain a lot of things that we didn't know about that was going on in the Federation," Riker replied.

The bald-headed captain simply shook his head.

"And the Alpha Quadrant."

"Or the galaxy in general."

"This whole parallel universe thing is giving me a headache."

Suddenly, the two men heard a voice from the intercom channel.

"Captain, all the repairs that could be done have been done. I'm afraid there's not much more we can do without access to the full facilities at a starbase," the chief engineer pointed out.

"Give me the status of the repairs," the bald-headed captain's order.

"All disruptors are fully functional and online. Photon torpedo bays are at ninety percent capacity and functioning. All sensors, shield generators, the cloaking device, impulse thrusters and warp engines are operating within acceptable parameters. The hangar, though, is structurally unsafe and currently unuseable until we can gain access to the facilities offered by a shipyard," came the chief engineer's reply.

"What about the self-destruct mechanism? Is it working?" Picard asked.

"Fully operational and ready to go."

"Good! Because upon our return to Federation space, we are going to destroy this ship. It must never be allowed to threaten life on any planet again," the captain vowed, "As for now, set a course for Earth."

The Scimitar chartered a course to the world that lay at the heart of the Federation. The journey was estimated to take three days. During that time, the crew busied themselves with 're-inventing' the Scimitar, that's right ... 're-inventing' is the word. The reason being, the confines of the corridor of the Scimitar were so dark and gloomy that Captain Picard gave the go-ahead to re-furbish the insides to give it a more heartening and familiar feeling. Upon receiving the go-ahead, all the crewmembers rushed at the chance to make the inside of the ship more vibrant, alive and familiar. While they were going about joyously at the task, Picard was in a room, that used to house a Reman guard, peering at its interior design.

He was disturbed from his thoughts by a call to get to the bridge. The captain did not waste any time getting there

111000111000011100011111111100000111111111111000011110000001 111100000111111

On the viewscreen were three pyramids and a ship floating in orbit around the Earth. The pyramids were large compared to the small ship facing them.

"Captain, those three pyramids are warships of some sort. They arrived here a minute ago in a manner similar to the use of a Borg ship's transwarp drive. Power output is high. All three ships are heavily armed with plasma weapons and deflector shields. The strength of their weapons is equivalent to that of the plasma weapons utilised by the Ferrengi in the Alpha Quadrant. Their crew appear to be a mixture of human and alien lifeforms. The other ship came from Earth and does not appear to be armed with energy weapons. Weapons involve primitive railguns. The ship's crew is strictly human."

'Came from Earth? How did Earth develop starships at this stage in time?' Picard wondered.

He was sure that all the crew of the Enterprise were wondering the same thing.

Suddenly, one of the pyramids opened fire with their plasma weapons on the ship. The plasma beams impacted against a shield that cropped into being around the ship. The ship retaliated with its weapons, barely denting the pyramid ship's shields.

"Their shields have dropped to thirty percent. One more shot would destroy the ship."

"Data, can you get a lock on the ship's occupants? Beam them out as soon as their shields fail. I would like to know more about what is going on," the captain spoke.

Small ships began to leave the large pyramid ships and headed for the planet. It was not difficult to know what their intentions were when they began to open fire on the cities.

"Hail the three vessels. I would like to speak with their commanders."

11100011100001110001111111110000011111111111100001111 0000001111100000111111

Meanwhile onboard the Hatak Mothership,

First Prime Gara was a powerful Jaffa. In fact he was the most powerful and influential Jaffa in his Master's army. He was a veteran (some might say murderer) of countless wars and conflicts, carrying out his Master's orders without question, regardless of how cruel and despicable they might be. For his years of unparalleled devotion and unquestioned loyalty to his Divine Master, he had been rewarded by being made his Master's right hand man. A position that was held in high regard and coveted by many within the ranks of his Master's legions. Oh sure, they envied his position and elevation to success but that was all they could do. He was his Master's second-in-command after all and none dared question his orders except for a select few who were favoured by his Master. And even then, not openly.

He was not First Prime for nothing after all. He was still deep in thought when he was suddenly being roused from it by a call from his communication officer.

"First Prime Gara, we're receiving a transmission."

Without any further ado, he ordered the transmission to be put on screen. The figure of a bald-headed caucasian man in red and black uniform surrounded by darkness appeared on the viewscreen.

"Greetings, I am Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the Federation starship Enterprise. Why are you attacking this planet?" the man asked.

The First Prime studied the figure without answering for sometime. Though inwardly, he was puzzled.

'What Federation was he talking about?' he wondered.

He had never heard of such a thing before in his life! All the galactic powers that he knew about included the Nox, the Asgard, the System Lords and the Tollans. He didn't know of anyone else. Was this man trying to trick him? And if so, for what reason? Well, two could play that game.

Finally he responded with as much pride and conviction in his voice as he could, "I am First Prime Gara, servant to the System Lords and Masters of the Universe. This world is my Divine Master's to do with as He pleases."

"Your forces have already caused enough damage on this world for one day. Call of the attack," the bald-headed man implored.

'Call of the attack? Was the man out of his mind? To give an order to the chief servant of a god? Who did he think he was anyway?' First Prime Gara thought as his gaze turned icy upon the man.

"Who are you? A god? Or a fool? If you are a god, show me your great and awesome might that I might worship you," the First Prime scoffed in reply, hoping to goad the strange man into displaying his hand.

All around him his fellow Jaffa roared with laughter at the blatant insult.

"Do it," the man spoke in a less friendly tone, ignoring the rude remark upon his person before he took a step forward out of the viewscreen.

Gara's eyes widened involuntarily as the man's body passed through the display screen to appear in front of him, a completely solid man. The Jaffa crew around him who had all been laughing together at the man's expense a short while ago were no longer laughing. Their faces were set with a deadly seriousness that had not been there before. The man took another step forward to land onto the floor of the bridge further unnerving the crew in the process and causing the closest Jaffa to back away from him instinctively. For the first time, they were filled with a strong uncertainty about what had just happened.

'What was this? Some kind of sorcery?' they wondered before drawing their weapons.

"Or you will regret it." the man warned as he approached the First Prime in his command seat.

There was a sizzling burst of energy and a plasma blast passed through the man harmlessly to destroy the viewscreen. Another sizzling burst of energy followed the first only to pass through the man harmlessly like before. The man simply ignored the attacks and came closer. More and more bursts of energy followed to hit the man with no effect.

"ENOUGH FOOLS!" the First Prime roared in fury.

Heads were going to roll for this blunder as he saw the scene of destruction aboard the bridge. The consoles and viewscreen had been destroyed in the eagerness of the Jaffa present to destroy the enemy that had suddenly appeared in their midst.

"IT IS JUST A HOLOGRAM!" he shouted.

"Last warning, leave or be destroyed," the bald-headed figure warned before coming to a stop in front of the First Prime.

Unable to help himself, the First Prime made a grab at the figure only to have his hands pass through it with no visible effect.

"Find the source of the transmissions!" the First Prime shouted in anger at the Jaffa on the bridge.

"Don't bother. You have five seconds to leave before I give the order to open fire," the bald-headed figure smirked knowingly in reply at the First Prime's helplessness in locating him.

"Five."

The Jaffa crew ran frantically all over the bridge hoping to find the source of the transmissions.

"Four."

The First Prime looked on in growing anger. He would make this unknown enemy pay for his insolence and audacity in his Master's torture chambers for a thousand years when he got his hands on him.

"Three."

Unable to pinpoint the location of the transmissions, the Jaffa officers grew more frantic in their search for the hidden enemy.

"Two."

For the first time in his life, First Prime Gara began to feel doubt and a little fear growing in his heart about the coming battle with the unknown enemy. Regardless of the bravado he had shown on the bridge, the unknown enemy's ability to project a hologram onto his ship without being detected had deeply unnerved him.

"One."

He quickly prodded his communications officers and sensors officers only to confirm that it was not coming from inside his ship.

"Time's up. Good-bye, Gara."

That was the last thing First Prime Gara heard as a massive explosion engulfed the bridge.

1110001110000111000111111111000001111111111110000111100000 01111100000111111

A few minutes before ...

"Captain, we have all three enemy ships in linear position," Data spoke.

Linear position was a position in which a ship (the Scimitar in this case) had moved to a location in which the group of ships (the Hatak Motherships) it was facing, was lined up until it was seen to be in one straight line. It was a good position to take since they needed only to face fire from one enemy ship at a time. The remaining enemy ships could not open fire on the Scimitar without hitting their own ship that was in the way. Not to mention they could not see where the enemy fire was coming from since the explosions from the first destroyed vessel would mask their position.

"All disruptors on my mark. Fire!"

More than ten disruptor beams lanced out from nowhere to hit the first Hatak Mothership, destroying its shields in the first volley and cutting through the ship to hit the second Hatak Mothership behind it.

"Fire photon torpedoes!"

The second Hatak Mothership did not even have time to respond as four photon torpedoes appeared from the wake of the fiery explosion that broke apart the first Hatak Mothership to hit the shields with tremendous force, collapsing it completely before hitting the hull beneath.

The Jaffa commander onboard the third Hatak Mothership had quickly initiated evasive maneuvers upon seeing the destruction of his fellow commanders' ships. His Jaffa officers searched frantically for the hidden enemy but they found ... nothing. Suddenly, his Jaffa officers backed off in fear from something that had appeared in their midst.

It was the figure of a bald-headed caucasian man in red and black uniform.

"I will give you one more chance. Your fellow commanders were too stubborn. Hopefully you would not be the same. Now I will ask you one more time. Recall your forces or be destroyed!" the man warned coldly.

Jaffa Commander Tarez was filled with rage at the sight of the disaster that had befallen his Divine Master's forces. He struck at the man with his plasma staff only to have the blast pass through him without effect. He struck again with similar results. The man simply watched his antics calmly as if nothing had happened. That did it!

The sheer audacity of the man! How dare he act as if he were greater than his Divine Master! To retreat right now would not only bring dishonour upon him but His Divine Master's wrath as well. Better to die in glory than to return in shame at this defeat. He gave his Jaffa officers the order to bombard the planet with everything they had. All the surviving Jaffa in Deathgliders and Alkesh bombers received the final order as well.

Death before dishonour!

They vowed before unleashing everything they had on the helpless planet below.

11100011100001110001111111110000011111111111100001111000000 1111100000111111

Meanwhile ... onboard the Scimitar ...

"Captain, the alien vessel is opening fire with everything they have onto major population centers! So are the fighters! Some of them have gone on suicide runs!" Data warned.

"Destroy them!" Picard gave the order.

No sooner had the Hatak Mothership released its first volley of concentrated plasma beams was it struck by a volley of disruptor beams from nowhere. The disruptor beams overwhelmed the shields rapidly to cut through the pyramid-shaped ship with vengeance. It broke apart in a fiery explosion, a few pieces falling through the atmosphere to hit the Earth below.

"Captain, I'm receiving a transmission. We're being hailed by the defending vessel."

"Put it on screen."

The figure of a blonde caucasian man and woman in 20th century combat uniforms appeared on the screen.

"Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the USS Enterprise?!!" he spoke in a mixture of shock and disbelief.

"Yes Captain Picard here. To whom am I addressing?" the bald-headed captain spoke with resignation in his voice.

"This is Colonel O'Neill of the USAF Prometheus," the man spoke.

"Hello Colonel O'Neill. Do you require any assistance? I will beam over some of my crew if you do," the bald-headed captain offered.

"Yes, please. By the way, where is your ship, the Enterprise? I'm not seeing it anywhere," the Colonel asked.

"How about we meet on your ship? Say in about an hour? I'm sure we have many things to discuss," the bald-headed captain responded.

"Alright! Catch you later!" the screen blinked out.

Captain Picard simply shook his head at the oncoming meeting and the lengthy explanation he was going to have to give.

It certainly looked like it was going to be a long day.

TBC

111000111000011100011111111100000111111111111000 011110000001111100000111111

And now ... a word of thanks to my reviewers.

enderverse: No one from ST will recognize the Stargate characters for what it is for now.

sweetgirl23: Thank you for the support. Rest assured, we will see more of the Scimitar in action.

He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Lame: I disagree. Necessity is the mother of invention, after all. The Federation knew how to make cloaking devices. They were just forbidden from doing so by the Treaty of Algeron. Destroying the Scimitar? The Federation outlawed research into thalaron radiation due to its potential use as a biogenic weapon. Bringing the Scimitar into Federation space would be akin to breaking the law as well as the Treaty of Algeron though Section 31 might have second thoughts regarding the matter. And Picard is the type who tends to follow the rules to the letter of the agreement. Although there's no saying that he might not bring the Scimitar back into Federation space and get the Romulans to go with it as long as it was operated in the Gamma Quadrant. Remember the Defiant which was equipped with a cloaking device?

The story about the Minbari-Asgard War? Asgard stomping on Minbari until they became Minbari pancakes? Just wait and see. After all the Americans did not win the Vietnam War despite their technological superiority.

Tatsu-ZZmage: The thalaron weapon? We shall see ...

11100011100001110001111111110000011111111111100001111000000111 1100000111111