Suikoden Fan Fiction ❯ Fate's Atonement ❯ The Visitors from Crystal Valley ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Suikoden and its characters belong to their respected companies (Konami and such) and no money was made in the production of this Fanfiction.

GENSO SUIKODEN: Fate's Atonements

By: Kouken_Sasarai

Editors: Meiko-chan and Firejdl

Chapter One: The Visitors from Crystal Valley

The young girl called Sarasa was now 15 years of age. It has been almost more than 2 years she had found out that her father had died after leading a war with their neighboring, country and about 2 years since the Scarlet Unification War had come to a conclusion. She of course was in Crystal Valley of Harmonia years before this had happened. Her father had sent her and her dear mother there for some apparent reason. She guesses the 'some apparent reason' was that war. Her mother had left Harmonia, 2 years ago, and left to go to the Toran Republic, the newly formed government south of the Unified-states of Scarlet. She had not heard from her until a few months ago. A letter had come in with a stranger clad in a black cloak. She thinks it was a woman, a blind one, since her eyes were covered at all time. Her mother's assistant told her that she must have come from the ninja's guild located in the Toran Republic. In the letter was written instructions… well… options for her to take. She asked her to go to Scarlet and find the leader 'Riou'. Upon meeting him, she just might find the answers she seeks. Her mother always seemed to know what was in her mind. She must have known that something about the outcome of the war would bother her.

She was alone. Well, not quite since she still had her

mother's assistant with her, along with the stranger who brought the letter to

her, though the latter only appears now and then. She decided to travel into Scarlet to find the leader of the newly formed country, following what her mother had suggested. Her main reason was that she had heard stories about the horrible things that happened in that war before most of the City-States of Jowston fell into the hands of Highland. Her father had murdered people, many people. He destroyed villages and killed horrendously. It wasn't like the father she knew, the kind and caring father she loved. But as much as she wanted to deny it, she knew it was all true. It would disrespect those who had died in her father's hands if she didn't face the truth. But she also needed to know what happened to him after. She had heard that another man took his place after his death, someone by the name of Jowy Blight. She never heard of how her father died, or where he died and was buried. She also didn't know what had happened to her grandfather, or where her aunt had disappeared to. After learning of her father's death from her advisor and a trusted friend, she felt she had to meet the leader of the Scarlet army. But from what she was told, the man had disappeared right after the war. Now, she was with only one person most of the time, and traveling the endless lands of the world in search of the missing leader called 'Riou'. But that's all old news. It has been a few months now since she decided to set off into this journey, and yet, there were no leads to the person she was looking for. It was a time to worry about where to go and what to do.

She let out a sigh. It was a very hot afternoon in Muse. They had been walking since this morning from Toto Village and now are heading to the town of Coronet to catch a boat that would head to Kuskus Town, then walk to Kaiho Castle, former North Window Town. For the past few months they had traveled through the lands of Zexen and the Grasslands with no luck of finding Riou. Akia, that's her mother's assistant's name, had suggested they travel to Scarlet and visit Kyaro. This gave Sarasa a chance to visit her former home in Kyaro, the residence located at the southern area of the village, as well as the Castle at the eastern area. She could not enter it of course. People considered it dwellings of evil and requested the Scarlet Army to close it and make it out of bounds. They even sent a young boy to create a magic barrier around both buildings. Akia offered to break the barriers for her, but she declined.

Akia happens to be also a Bishop of Harmonia. She had left her brigade under the command of another competent 'acquaintance' who happens to be Sarasa's favorite Bishop and the trusted advisor she spoke of earlier, Bishop Sasarai. Akia often mocked her and Sasarai because of their names. She found it rather unoriginal and too coincidental and even dared to joke that Sarasa was actually the love child of Sasarai and her father, seeing as how in Akia's opinion that Sasarai "not only looks like a girl, but also acts like one". Of course this was only meant in good humor. Even Sarasa and her mother laughed at it and even played along. This of course irritated Sasarai at times, since from what Sarasa had put together, Sasarai cares for Akia a little bit more than she expected.

Anyway, Akia once was under the command of a man name Leon Orefield, a former Bishop of the main Harmonian Troops. He died near the end of the 'War of Chaos'. Akia took over his position at the last minute, temporarily, and lead the army to victory against the Country of Lorrianne. She was then seen as a hero after that. There were some issues against her during the war, but the role she took part in was too essential and the results were way too great to be ignored. She refused to take Leon's position permanently after the war and instead accepting the job to lead a smaller brigade. Sarasa believes that the reason for that was because of her other job. She is an acquaintance to a Seer from the Toran Republic, who asked her to protect Sarasa's mother before disappearing and 'stealing' something very important to Holy Harmonia. Sasarai said that it was one of the True Runes that was stolen. But somehow it seemed like something more was taken. He didn't really find Akia's connection to Leknaat pleasant. That was one topic he never bothered to hide his feelings of irritation when discussed or brought up. It was strange. He just didn't seem like the type of person to hold a grudge.

Continuing on, Sarasa's mother also happened to be a very famous person from the War of Chaos. Her mother was given the title "Heaven Knight" for leading a small brigade who helped lead Harmonia to victory in the war. Of course, there were still many things about her mother and Akia that Sarasa wasn't aware of even now. She wouldn't dare ask though. Just like when they were in Kyaro, Akia had said something that caught her attention. She muttered "So he's still working for her." after she touched the barrier, looking a bit saddened by the thought.

Sarasa sighed again, and then jumped suddenly when a cup appeared before her face. She looked at the person holding it and smiled. It was Akia. Akia, of course, was a pretty looking young woman. She claims to be only 18 this year, but her actions and words make her seem much older. She only looked about Sarasa's age. Akia had looked that way since she was 10 or 11, Sasarai explained. Of course, Sarasa would never have believed it if she wasn't aware of the existence of the True Runes and their power. This was the reason why Akia didn't age, like Sarasa's mother. Akia tends to hide hers, unlike her mother who doesn't even remember on which hand she had it. Because of the powers of the rune, Akia is bound to live for eternity looking like a teen.

"Do you want to stay here for the night? Or shall we head to Coronet to get to Kuskus by tomorrow?" Akia asked as Sarasa took the glass from her.

"What do you think?" Sarasa asked in return after taking a sip of the water.

Akia blinked.

"I'll go with whatever you decide."

Sarasa stared wearily at the glass in her hand, watching the reflection of the sky on it. Akia was too submissive. She's rarely done things without her consent.

"I see…"

Akia let out a breath and looked at the younger girl curiously.

"What is it?" she frowned.

"Nothing." Sarasa smiled, then got up from the bench she was sitting on, "Let's get going. There's still a lot of time before sunset. I'm sure we can make it to Coronet before dark. That way we can catch a boat to Kuskus by tomorrow morning."

They walked towards the gates of the City of Muse silently. Akia then stopped, making Sarasa turn to her abrupt action. She noticed that the usual quiet look on Akia's face had been replaced by a look of disgust, her amethyst and ruby red eyes glaring at the direction ahead of them. A group of men approached them from the gate. They stopped and gathered in front of the two young women.

"Is there a problem?" Sarasa asked politely, trying not to cough from the strong smell of liquor emitting from the group before her.

They must have come from the local bar.

"A problem, missy? Not at all… But that person beside you on the other hand…" the supposed leader of the crew sneered as he turned to Akia direction, "I don't like that look you're giving me."

Akia snorted and looked away from them.

"You must pardon my companion. She's in an unpleasant mood right now and it's best to leave her be. So, would you mind moving aside and letting us through?" Sarasa explained.

But to much avail, the man ignored Sarasa's heed and approached Akia.

"What's up with you, missy? Pretty face like your--" the moment the man's hand was close enough to almost touch her face, he was sent flying across the street.

Akia stood before them, her right hand glowing slightly from whatever form of magic she used on the man. Her pupils were contracted, staring at the man with such ill repute, as if horrified by the thought of being touched by the stranger. Sarasa was aware of the reason for this. She knew how much Akia hated 'humans', as she'd call them, mostly if they were male. She just doesn't know why.

The rest of the men of course ran to assist their leader, stealing glances at Akia, just to make sure she did not decide to come after them next.

Akia turned to Sarasa as she lowered her hand to her side.

"I do not understand how you can be so…'respectful' to such vagabonds." She remarked.

"Just as how I do not understand why you blast them to kingdom come with such leisure?" Sarasa tilted her head slightly to the side and smiled.

Akia paused. She had nothing in mind to defend herself with.

"… Fine, I'll leave it be. Let's be off then before the others decide to act loyal to their friend and come after us." Akia then walked ahead past the gates and Sarasa quickly followed.

***

"Taa-dah!" Looky looky! I found these at the item shop and got them discounted!" Nanami cheerfully appeared before her two companions, who were sitting idly on a bench near the Inn in Muse, presenting to them some medical supplies.

"It's hooooot…" Jowy moaned while leaning back on the bench.

Riou murmured in agreement as he fanned himself with his hand. The three of them had decided to come back to Scarlet for a little while just to see how things were doing. The woman called Leknaat sure was right about a few things. The world isn't easy, and people like him and Jowy are needed everywhere. Countries waged wars at every turn, and people suffered due to its chaotic results. Riou, Jowy, and Nanami had ventured west of the Toran Republic and encountered the country of Morrocia. It was swarming of corruptness. They spent most of their time there helping towns rebuild and protecting people from getting caught between the crossfire of arms. It's amazing how people disregard human life so easily when caught in the blaze of negative emotions and actions called war.

"Hey! Are you two listening to me?!" Nanami voiced in an irritated tone, placing a hand to her hip while looking at the two boys disapprovingly.

The two murmured wearily as an answer to Nanami, while not moving from their position or bothering to look at her. It was obvious that the two boys were exhausted.

"Now look her--" Nanami was suddenly interrupted as a strong gust of wind blew harshly behind her and a man went flying by past the Inn, hitting the ground harshly at the main square.

Riou and Jowy sat up to take a look at what was going on. They looked at the man on the ground as a few more people ran to his side to assist him up to his feet. They then turned to the direction of where the man flew from. There was a heavy cloud of dust and it took time to clear up. When it slowly began to settle, it revealed a girl about their age, clad in a native looking garments, holding her hand in front of her. Riou was quickly reminded of the clothes that pushy girl named Tengaar wore. The girl had long raven hair, almost long enough to touch the ground tied very loosely in two pig-tails. Her strange colored eyes shone brightly against the sun, contrasted by her pale face. She also had a sword tied around her waist. Behind her was another girl. She had long dark brown hair that she wore loosely, a bit shorter than the older one, looking slightly amused by the situation. She wore a blue and silver dress and had a bow and a quiver of arrows tied around her back. Jowy blinked as the whole situation slowly came together. That man was just blasted by a girl without a weapon.

The two talked to each other for a moment, and then suddenly headed out the gates of Muse. Nanami gaped at the whole thing in shock with her two male companions. That was surely something you didn't see every day.

(To be continued…)