Suikoden Fan Fiction ❯ Suikoden - The Dunan Wars ❯ New Journeys ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4 - New Journeys

Cold shower. Nice, cold shower. It had been days since Flik last thoroughly cleaned himself. It was sometime before Greenhill. I don't want to think about if Saily had washed me or not he thought. How the hell could she have done something like that anyway? I should be grateful.

Flik hated to think what would happen if Highland decided to attack at this very instant. I mean, it's not like they know about the fort or anything yet, but it'd still wreak havoc. The worst part is that if they lost, he would have to explain the damage to General Hauser.

Of Course, Viktor, as usual, almost blew the whole thing. While the risk worked, he certainly didn't remove any of the tension that was going on. And the last thing I need is some snotty kobold snout up my ass because his silly little fort was attacked.

"Oh no!" Flik heard a thunderclap and it began to rain and then it poured down making his towel, clothes, and armour all soggy.

Viktor had been in a foul mood ever since returning from North Sparrow Pass. The trip would prove to be a milestone in the whole gypped war, but that's something I can get to for later. Viktor remembered the Highland kid, the last survivor of the butchered Unicorn Brigade, and the last living reason for the war.

Flik came strutting into the front of the fort sporting a towel, carrying an armload of sopping clothes in his hands; his feet caked with mud from the rainy dirt path. "You're the only guy I know vain enough to take two showers at once, Flik," Viktor managed to utter through the wall of laughter he was spewing forth. "Viktor," Flik said, "Do the fort a favour. Try NOT to eat it." What my half-naked thunder-bearing companion is referring to was the bowl of Pohl's infamous chicken soup, which sits before me; my sixth one today. Sure I have an appetite but I'm not FAT by any means. "At any rate" Viktor replied "You should get your clothes on; it's about time we wake up our little survivor don't you think?" Flik grumbled as he walked past me, up the stairs to where his bedroom had been built. Viktor called after him "Let me know if you need any help getting dressed; I'll send Saily up after you!" Flik turned beet red " How the hell did you know about THAT!?" he roared. Viktor couldn't answer him for the hellacious laughing spasm he was engulfed in at the moment. Viktor remember the look on Saily's face as she him the entire mortifying story. I'd never seen a kobold wag her tail so fast….

Makoto shook his head as he struggled back to consciousness. What hit me? He thought.

Then he remembered - the pass, the guards, the fight, the first two rune spells he'd ever cast in his life, then… the…well, whoever it was who knocked him out. I guess I was lucky, Makoto mused. Whoever it was must've seen the whole thing - they could've killed me. Giving his head one final shake, he opened his eyes.

The small room he was in had walls of wood, a dirt floor - which he was currently lying on - and a door made of bars with a young, stocky man standing outside of it. "Hi, I'm Pohl," said the boy smiling slightly at Makoto in the cell. "Viktor brought you in from North Sparrow Pass. You're from Highland, so we have to keep you locked up, but from what Viktor said about I guess you're on the same side as us."

Makoto blinked "What?" he replied, "Viktor heard you tell your story to the Pass guards. Ruka Blight killed all your friends - so you're his enemy, right," Pohl asked. Makoto shook his head "HIS enemy, yes. Not Highland's, so we aren't really on the same side." Pohl looked disappointed, and said, "Well, I better go tell Viktor you're awake." With that, he turned and headed off to the left and up some stairs from the sound of it. Makoto wasted no time in battering the door with his tonfas. The Twin Heaven Fangs may wood themselves, but they're Highland ironwood way tougher then the oak on this door he though as he hammered away at the door. The wood chipped, cracked - and finally gave way. Makoto shoved the door open and ran for the stairs. I have to get out of here before-

As he turned the corner of the stairs, he came nearly face-to-face with two people - three, counting Pohl behind them. The first on the right was clearly a warrior. He wore a blue cape that was still buckling onto one shoulder, and carried a long sword in his belt sheath. The other was a bear Makoto thought. There was simply no other way to describe him - he was HUGE and he carried an equally big two-handed sword on his back. That's probably the one who knocked me out, the young man realized.

"And where do you think you're going?" The one clad in blue asked

"I'm Makoto Genkaku" Makoto replied firming his resolve "I can't let you keep me here. I have to get back to Highland because-"

"Hold on a minute, kid," spat the bear. "What do you mean `you can't let us?" He crossed his arms defiantly. "So your little planks busted our door; doesn't mean you can get through THIS wall." Makoto grinned tightly. What he was about to do seemed insane - but the sane, safe path led right back to that cell. "You don't try and go through a bear," Makoto replied, quickly backing two steps. As the bear moved to follow, Makoto spun his tonfas around and whacked him on both ankles, sending him tumbling forward. Lunging around him for the gap thus opened, Makoto finished his sentence: "you back off and hope he trips!" The blue one, however, stuck out his arm. Makoto right into it, and clotheslined him right on the ground. Flik wrestled the boy on the ground and punched him square in the face. Makoto banged the back of the head against the hard and fell into unconscious.

Viktor climbed to his feet wincing in pain. "Damn little sprout…I hope for his sake there ain't nothing broken…" Flik shook his head "You're getting slow, Viktor." He said, taking away Makoto's tonfas. "You put him in a cell armed?"

"You're getting cocky, Flik," shot Viktor, gathering the fallen highlander into his arms and carrying him back to the cell. "How was I supposed to know the kid could snap a door with those sticks?" He grimaced. "You take care of this, I'm gonna have Saily take a look at my ankles…"

"Don't let her get a look at anything else while she's down there."

Poor kid, I think I hit him pretty hard. Flik put the Highlander's limp body down in the cell and closed the broken door. Flik turned to Pohl. "When Saily's done with Viktor, get her down here and have a look at this kid."

"I'll go immediately." Pohl said, leaving. Flik turned back to the kid. He almost felt sorry for him but then remembered what he did to Viktor. He could have broken Viktor's legs. Had he done that I would have beaten him up pretty worse than a punch to the head he thought. The kid groaned.

Prying his eyes open, the boy looked around, probably figuring out where he was, then climbed slowly to his feet. The kid moaned and then looked around in alarm, apparently noticing the absence of his weapons. "Hey!" he called to Flik "Who are you? And what did you do with the Twin Heaven Fangs?!"

Twin Heaven Fangs? Probably some fan of Teel McDohl. Not letting on, however Flik retorted, "Those tonfa you attacked Viktor with? Those are in our possession right now. In the mean time we have to decide what to do with you. Those tonfa should be the least of your worries." The boy sighed, "Right…I apologize. In all the fuss out there. I never caught your name."

"It's Flik" Flik replied with a chill in his voice as he turned his back to him. "And Viktor is the bear?" Flik spun around in time to catch him trying to hide a sudden, horrified expression.

"And what if he is?" Footsteps came down the stairs. Flik turned around again and saw Pohl and Saily coming towards the cell. "He's in there." I said. "Pohl, you guard him until Viktor and I decide what to do with him."

"Yes sir." Pohl said as Flik brushed past him.

Saily told me the wounds weren't bad. Makoto had bruised up my right ankle, but nothing that wouldn't heal within a few days Viktor thought. Flik walked into the room snickering. "Like I was saying Viktor…. Only a bonafide lard ass like you would have been one-upped by that little squirt." He's trying to get me back for that shower crack earlier Viktor knew he had a point. I was so used to Hauser or General Ridley Wizen of Two River to guide his battles that adjusting to my own expertise would take a little re-training.

"So what do we do with the kid, Flik?" Viktor asked. "He's a Highlander, but he's got the truth we need to get this fledgling war off right. We take this kid's story back to Ridley or Hauser and we can swing all the folks in Muse and Two River against Ruka Blight and Gregore Blight." Flik shook his head "It's not that easy though. They could just as easily condemn us for capturing a Highland soldier and not putting him to death." Viktor nodded his understanding "So what do we do?" Flik was silent. I hadn't asked him to pick up the world or anything, I just wanted to know what to do with this kid we had on hand. This is going to take some convincing…

"You always used to mock my intuition Flik. But I'm telling you, there's something about this kid. Something about his will - his determination. Remember a few years ago. I brought Teel McDohl a kid from the enemy's side into our ranks, just on my gut instinct. And you remember who that kid turned out to be. I ain't asking you to betray our cause. Just trust me on this." Flik sighed "Okay…"said Flik with a thick hint of scepticism. "But this kid is no Teel McDohl."

Nanami spat out the mouthful of…what was supposed to be food, but came out slightly different then what she had hoped for. She wiped her sleeve across her mouth and cautiously tipped the bubbling pot to its side, sending the contents oozing slowly down the hill. Bored she watched the thick substance inch down the hill before moving towards the river to wash up a bit. She had just managed to come over the pass, and had camped on the other side.

Several days on her own, and away from the warmth and comfort of her dojo, Nanami was having second thoughts about all of this…if Jillia had said that her brother Makoto and Jowy were dead…then surely they were… what had she been thinking? That Jowy and her brother were too strong, too smart, too fast, too….

Behind, the faint sounds of a carriage in the distance stopped Nanami short and she turned around. Indeed in the distance, she could just barely make out the black outline of the carriage drawing near. It was still a ways off. Sighing, she forsake the bath for her supplies. If the carriage was heading towards Kyaro, perhaps the carriage driver wouldn't mind if she tagged along. After gathering her supplies she rushed into the road, in front of the approaching carriage, "Stop! Hey! Stop!"

The carriage rode quietly. Jowy sat in the back; his deep thoughts of regret and helplessness were abruptly interrupted by a piercing cry. Jowy peered over the drivers seat, seeing a figure hopping into the centre of the road, arms flailing to Marco's attention, "Who…?" Marco sniffed; "Some peasant girl, that's all," Jowy stared as the figure began to acquire a familiar shape and face, "No! It's Nanami! What is she doing out here?" Marco made no signs of stopping. Jowy leaped up and grabbed the reigns with a sharp tug. The horses reeled, shaking the carriage and tossing back Marco. Jowy held out his arms to catch his brother and braced himself. "Easy!" he cried to the horses, who listened and came to a halt. "What was that for, fool?" Marco cried. Ignoring the remark, Jowy jumped down and run at Nanami, who apparently, still hadn't recognized him, "Nanami!"

Once in the distance, Nanami picked up speed, and Jowy found himself lying on his back on the road and Nanami shook him vengefully, "Jowy! You're alive! Jowy! Where's my brother? What happened to you? Are you alright? Jowy you're alive! I thought you were dead!"

Each word was punctuated with a fierce shake that rattled Jowy's teeth. "I will be dead if you keep this up!"

4

Nanami laughed and cried simultaneously, trying to hug Jowy, and pound him into the ground at the same time. Neither worked well with the other. She ended up choking herself and strangling Jowy.

"Nanami!" He gasped, and she let go. He sat up wincing, but smiling "What on earth are you doing here?"

"I'm looking for you! And my brother! I found you! Jillia told the whole town what happened! Was it true? Huh, was it?" Nanami asked in deep concern, thumping her fists on the ground for emphasising her words. Jowy looked serious and helped Nanami to her feet, "What did she say?"

"She…she said every one…in the Unicorn Brigade had been killed. No survivors. But, but you're here, and you're alive…Jowy… what happened to you?"

"Well…"

"You peasant!"

They turned their attention to Marco Atreides. "My cart. The wheels. Everything is ruined! You'll pay for this!!" Forgetting about his carriage, Marco sped off in the direction of the Tenzan Pass. Jowy shook his head while Nanami blinked in confusion.

"It's a long story. I'll explain along the way. By the way Nanami, where are you planning on going? Toto has been burned down and Muse is shut off. We were on our way to Kyaro." Jowy continued as if Marco had never butted in.

They rushed as fast as they could to North Sparrow Pass. Two guards stood firm at the entrance with no intention of letting anyone through.

"Halt!" one guard cried. "What are you kids doing here?"

"Please…let us through…" Jowy pleaded in between tired gasps. "We have to get to Kyaro immediately."

"You can forget it! Lady Anabelle ordered us not to let anyone pass!"

Nanami pushed Jowy aside. "Let me handle this." She winked. Hands behind her back, she sashayed the guards, batting her eyes, in a sugary voice. "Please let us through…Or I'll rip your balls off and shove em' down your throat."

The first guard gulped. "Okay! We'll let you through!"

"As you take her with when you go!" the second guard insisted.

Nanami growled and then they both passed. In little time they reached the Highland town of Kyaro.

"I want you to go the Toran Republic and secure a treaty of non-involvement for the war between Highland and Jowston. Because you will be travelling through enemy territory, you will have to travel in disguise and with minimal guard. I have asked Ruka to assign a suitable guard."

Jillia looked distastefully at the pile of things she'd set out to take. Only if she had a wagon could she bring it all, and that certainly wouldn't fit the image of a poor peasant. She started picking out things that she didn't really need to take.

No poisons, potions or herbs. Those would guarantee not even getting past the Highland-Jowston border. Oh! She's forgotten about the border closing! That would be troublesome. Maybe there was a less travelled route.

No fancy clothing, in fact if she could manage with only one or two dresses, that'd be much better. She'd sent someone to the market to pick up two peasant dresses. Jillia might have specified Jowston style, but the trip was supposed to be a secret one. The she had would do, though.

Various items were tossed aside until Jillia felt the pile was reasonable. She packed it into her carry sack and tested the weight. Still too heavy if she was going to carry rations with her. But what else could she reasonably take out? Nothing that she could think of. Oh well, she could always get used to the weight.

Jillia changed into one of the peasant dresses and tied her hair into a ponytail. Inspecting herself in the mirror, Jillia had to admit she didn't look like peasant stock. Soft-born life had left its mark. At least she had a ragged cloak to hide that a bit.

"Get me Loud, now. He might as well take on this assignment." Said Ruka Blight to his assistant. "Y…yes sir. Right away sir." Said the servant as he scurried away to Rowd's tent. "Loud will be perfect for this job, It'll make him feel nice and special while giving my sister a not so competent bodyguard." Ruka muttered to himself. Rowd then walked into the tent, "You wanted to see me sir?"

"Yes Loud, I have a very special assignment for you. I want you to be my sister Jillia's bodyguard. She is on her way to the Toran Republic and needs someone to look out for her. I think you'd be perfect for this job. Do you accept?"

Words failed Rowd. Wow! All I did was help slaughter a bunch of kids and now I'm watching the most beautiful woman alive! She'll surely fall for me! But his thoughts were interrupted "I said do you accept?!!" Ruka thundered.

"Y-yes sir! Of course, anything for my lord Ruka!" Rowd managed to spit out those words without even thinking. "Good, Loud, very good. Your outfit is on my desk, it should fit you nicely." Said Ruka. Rowd walked over to the clothes and picked them up. They were peasant clothes! Rowd walked back to his tent to get changed…

Jillia went into the public part of her tent to meet her bodyguard. Dressed in peasant clothes, Rowd entered the tent. "Hello Lady Jillia, I will be your bodyguard to Toran. How may I assist you?" Jillia sighed, "This is going to be a long trip."