Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ The Adventures of the Teen Titans ❯ The Teen Titans ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blowfish: I am so haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappyyyyyyyyy…
 
Chimpy: …Why?
 
Blowfish: `Cause this has hit and topped 30 reviews! Yay!
 
Chimpy: …You realize 30 isn't that much, right?
 
Blowfish: “I realize” doesn't mean “I care”.
 
Chimpy: Ah.
 
Blowfish: Anyway, I could just hug you guys!
 
Chimpy: Remember how that went over in “Heroes”?
 
Blowfish: Oh yeah. OK. Must stop talking to self.
 
Xyteron: Yeah, I'm screwing around with some of the littler things like that. Dunno why, really. I just feel like it. But soon I will mess with some major stuff and add some plot twists. I try not to have things happen too quickly, I hate to see it happen in other stories, and I would hate to have it in my story. As for screen time, I'm glad that's working. I have a bit of difference in my other story, but this is supposed to be about ALL of the Titans, together. Not just one of them. Though the focus may sway a little in the future, it will be equalized.
 
BlackShield: Heh, you're an RS fan? Ditto. If you thought last chap was long…whoo, you're gonna like this. I would've put Cy and Rae in their own chapters, but the stories I came up with for them just…sucked. Putting them together was the only way to salvage them, and BB ended up getting a whole chap to himself. I do agree with you on the fact that BB gets too much love. I mean, he's one of my favs, but I can't stand to see so much written about him (especially when half of it is such crap—they could stand to give him a little character depth). Yeah, the JL is vicious. (sniff) I did make WW sort of the sensitive one, because it seemed like she might be almost motherly towards the Titans. And besides, with Hawkgirl out of the picture for the moment, there were no other females to give that part to (Supergirl's too rowdy).
 
ninmenju-shin: You got it! X-23 was a reference to the Weapon X subject in X-Men Evo. Like I said to BS, this is gonna be even longer. (I'm so evil…) And…HAWKGIRL IS BACK!!! WHOOOOOOOO! YES! I was pissed to see GL kissing what's-her-name. Shame, Lantern. SHAME!!! I like writing long responses. ^_^ (Faces are fun.) Yeah, the adoption thing was the only thing I could think of the JL trying to do. Or foster care or something (shrug). Batman and Robin have a very close relationship, so that's why the hug was in there. And as for the Javelin: I mean, if you were on the JL satellite, would you NOT wanna try out one of those babies? BB and Cy sure would! Behold…the power of Twinkies! Heh heh… As for the T-tower…well, you'll see. (I thought what you wrote was hilarious, though.) Yes, hotel breakfast sucks.
 
BunnyKat: Glad you like it. And I guess the “could've happened” factor was my goal. I just thought, while planning that chapter, “What would've happened if they'd never joined the Titans?” So, that's where that came from.
 
Someone: “Stuff of Heroes” is the ep with that quote. Awesome ep. And you're the second right on the X-23 reference! (And the kiss thing was just me under the influence of too much sugar. ^^;)
 
Nigthcrawler9774: Yep, you got the X-23 thing too! I also liked that ep, but something really disturbed me: X-23 looked WAY too much like Amara. I swear Amara, Jubilee, X-23, and Amanda look almost exactly the same.
 
TTJLFan: Yep, `cause I do like the Cap! Personalities will definitely clash for a while…and even after a while, they'll still clash! ^^;
 
TtitansFan: I'm really glad you like it so much! You're a RobStar fan too, I see! Yayness!
 
K9: Yes actually, though that wasn't my intention. Huh. Hope you like this chap as much as the last.
 
“talking” `thinking' show dialog/action
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Teen Titans or Full Metal Alchemist. Lousy real world!
 
Blowfish: Now…the fateful fifth chapter!
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
“Raven, come on! It's about to start!” Beast Boy said gleefully.
 
“And I care…why?” Raven asked.
 
“Come on, Rae!” Cyborg wheedled.
 
“Yes, Raven; please join in the viewing of the show about the alchemist of metal!” Starfire said.
 
“It's Full Metal Alchemist, Star.”
 
“Ugh…” Raven groaned as Cyborg dragged her in front of the TV in the boys' hotel room. “Why does Robin get to escape this torture?”
 
“Because he's getting the pizza.”
“Damn. Must volunteer to get pizza next time.”
 
The three of them (plus one dragged unwillingly) sat on the two beds; all set on watching the anime for its full thirty minutes—much to Raven's displeasure. Even more annoying was the constant commentary by the others.
 
“OH MY GOD!” Cyborg yelled. “HE USED HIS OWN DAUGHTER FOR THE TRANSMUTATION?!”
 
“And that poor dog!” Beast Boy cried.
 
“Please, I am still confused; does a chimera not also consist of a goat and a snake?” Star questioned. Raven snorted.
 
“Stupid show doesn't even have its facts straight,” she muttered. Beast Boy raised an eyebrow.
 
“Oh yeah, Raven, you're the total authority on chimeras,” the changeling said sarcastically. “I mean, you've seen so many.”
 
“…You have no idea the things I've seen.”
 
“You have not seen a—“
 
“Shh!” Cyborg hissed. “That general guy is taking the Nina-dog-chimera thing away!”
 
“No! He can't!”
 
“You wanna cover it up!” Ed cried. The general punched him in the stomach, making Ed double over in pain.
 
“Let's go, boys,” he said. He and the soldiers climbed into the truck, and began driving away.
 
“No!” Ed yelled. “I won't let them turn her into a test subject…!” He slammed his palms on the ground and an electric-like power sprang from them, going across the ground, tipping the truck over.
 
“Yes!” Beast Boy yelled, triumphantly pumping his fist in the air. “Go Ed!”
 
“I'm going to bed,” Raven grumbled.
 
“Bed?! But it's only 12:22! We've got a couple hours before the hotel people shut us down! And we haven't even eaten yet!”
 
“What is taking Robin so long?” Star pondered. Just then, Robin walked in, pizza in hand.
 
“Lost my wallet at the Laundromat. Had to backtrack and go through a lot of traffic. Sorry I'm late.”
 
“Damn straight!” Cyborg yelled. “I'm STARVING!”
 
“Did I miss FMA?”
“Basically. I'll fill you in.”
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
The next day, the five teens woke up late. It was the first time they had truly been exposed to their morning habits—particularly their hair styling. Robin spent a while in front of the mirror, gelling his hair up just right. Beast Boy was quicker—and dirtier—in the bathroom, quickly running a gelled hand through his hair to get it to stick up. Starfire took the longest, with the amount of hair she had to wash and brush. Raven was the second fastest, giving her hair a brief comb and moving on. Cyborg, with no hair to tame, was the fastest with only basic hygiene to attend to.
 
“So, Doc left us a car?” Cyborg asked. Robin grinned and twirled the keys around his finger.
 
“Yeah. Sucker.”
 
“So, what're we gonna do today?” There was a long pause. Now that they were in Jump City, what exactly were they supposed to do?
 
“Err…we need a few things.”
“Like what? Just say the word and we shall be off, O Fearless Leader.” Robin cringed. Had he been part of the discussion that made him leader, he would've voted for anyone but himself.
 
“Um…let's see. We need some food—“
 
“'Cause the crap they serve here is completely inedible,” Beast Boy interjected.
 
“Right. We should split grocery duty. Cyborg and Beast Boy, pick up some food. You guys take the car. Me, Raven, and Star—” Raven coughed. Robin gritted his teeth. “What?”
 
“Can't I just go alone?”
 
Fine. Raven, pick up some toothpaste, because I tried the stuff they give you here—my toothbrush was stuck to my teeth for an hour.”
 
“What shall we purchase, Robin?” asked Starfire.
 
“We are going to get some coffee at that shop in the mall, because—“
 
“Everything here sucks,” Raven said. “And we need caffeine.”
 
“Right. So, how about Cy, Rae, and BB drop off the stuff at the room and meet us at the mall?” Everybody nodded in approval. “All right. Let's go.”
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
“So, where's this store again?” Beast Boy asked.
 
“S'round here somewhere,” Cyborg muttered.
 
“Man, you lived here for months! How could you not know where to get food?!”
 
“When you're freakish enough to frighten small children, you don't get out much,” the android said gruffly. Beast Boy looked up at his friend with a concerned expression.
 
“Sorry,” he said quietly. “If it makes you feel any better, not everyone thinks it's cool to be a green elf.”
“Mmm.”
 
“Weather makes a convenient excuse to hide it though, eh?” Beast Boy said, pulling down his hat over his pointed ears. Cyborg fingered the lapels of his trench coat.
 
“We look like hit-men, with our faces all hidden,” he grumbled.
 
I look like a hit-man. You look like a child-abductor.”
 
“No I don't!” Beast Boy giggled, and soon Cyborg found himself laughing along with his friend. Their short bout of humor was rudely interrupted by an explosion from the nearby bank.
 
The man in front of Cyborg stopped short, and Cyborg almost crashed into him trying to brake. The two teens stumbled out of the car. Five armed men burst through the bank doors, bags of money in hand.
 
“Nobody move!” one of them screamed. Everybody froze except for Cyborg and Beast Boy, who were removing their jackets. There were gasps from the crowd at the sight of the metal man and the green boy.
 
“S'funny,” Cyborg said. “That's what I was gonna say to you.”
 
“Holy crap!” the one at the back screamed. “It's some kinda android and, like…Martian Manhunter Jr. or somethin'!”
 
Beast Boy's eye twitched.
 
What did you say?” Beast Boy said icily. Cyborg's face fell in his hands.
 
“Aww, now y'all have gone and done it,” he groaned.
 
“Were you talkin' to me, PUNK?!”
 
“Oh lordy…”
 
“Did you just call me what I THINK you called me?!”
 
“You guys are screwed.”
 
“THEY CALL ME MARTIAN MANHUNTER JR.!!!” And with a great roar, the small changeling morphed into a huge boar and mowed down the robber. (A/N: For all you Disney fans, yes, that was a Lion King reference.)
 
Cyborg took advantage of the shock of the other men and took a wide sweep with his sonic cannon, knocking them all unconscious. He looked up to see that the bank was indeed on fire.
 
“C'mon BB! There are still people in there!” Beast Boy got up and they both ran into the bank. Inferno swirled around them.
 
“Hey!” Beast Boy yelled. “C'mon everybody, you gotta get out of here!” Several tellers ran out along with some customers. One lady, however, was not leaving. Cyborg ran over to her.
 
“Yo lady, you've gotta come with me,” he said. “You're gonna fry if you stay here!”
“My baby!” she screamed hysterically. “My little girl is back there!” She pointed to a part of the bank that was already being swallowed by flames.
 
“I'll get her for you, but you've gotta leave.” At the sight of the woman's worried expression, he winked his human eye. “Don't worry; I'll get your little girl back.”
 
Cyborg ran through the fire, covering his mouth and hoping that his metal was as heat-resistant as he had been told. He saw a huddled shadow in the corner, and hastily made his way towards it, and was able to see that it was the little girl. She curled up into a ball and screamed at the sight of him.
 
“Come on!” he yelled. “Come with me now!” But instead of seeing the kind robot, she saw a terrifying, flaming metal monster with a glowing eye. She only screamed more.
 
“Get away! You're one of those evil robots from space!” Cyborg advanced and put his face close to hers so she could see his human half. Her expression shifted from terror to curiosity.
 
“See? I'm a little different, but I'm really just a normal guy! Now come on, I need to get you back to your mom.” The girl nodded and he scooped her up.
 
Outside, a fire truck had arrived. A fireman ran up to Beast Boy.
 
“Is anyone still in the building?” he asked.
 
“My friend and a little girl, but—wait a sec!” Cyborg dashed out of the building, little girl in hand. “All right, Cy!” Beast Boy yelled. Cyborg waved and walked the girl over to her mother.
 
“Mommy!” the girl squealed. “Robot-Man saved me!”
 
“Cyborg, kid,” Cyborg laughed. “Not Robot-Man, Cyborg.”
 
“Thank you so much,” the woman said, hugging her little girl. “Is there anything I could do for you boys?” Cyborg and Beast Boy looked at each other.
 
“Well, actually…could you direct us to the nearest grocery store?”
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
Raven put the tubes of toothpaste on the counter impatiently. She had waited in line for almost an hour—in the express line—and was getting rather irate. The handsome teenage clerk had been holding up the line by chatting with a pretty blond girl. Even now that Raven had made it to the counter; he was still preoccupied by the belle standing to the side. She finally lost it.
 
“Okay, the lovebirds have talked enough,” she said, shoving the girl aside with her powers. Everybody within twenty feet had suddenly gained the ability to unhinge their jaws, watching Raven lean over the counter, getting up in the clerk's face.
 
“I have had to spend the last week with two of the most annoying people I have ever met in my entire existence, and I may be spending a great portion of my life having to put up with them. I am VERY angry, and I swear on the name of Azar, if you don't let me pay for this damn toothpaste, I will send you to another dimension, one where the demons will rip you apart until you cannot be put back together by any means, and passing rats will nibble on your pretty-boy face. And then, the vultures will tear at your eyes and snap at your bones and say, `Good God, this is the most vile, disgusting, abhorrent THING I have ever tasted.' And the hot sun will scorch whatever may be left of you to a dry, flaky dust and the frigid winds will blow it away into oblivion. And you will watch it all, because your soul—assuming that you have one—will be trapped in the swirling torrent of misery created by your sins and you will reside in your own personal Hell in which spirits will feast on your soul; and then, and then you will have truly disappeared from existence on any plane, and your poor little girlfriend will have never learned what your favorite trashy reality show is. But don't worry, as she'll no doubt have moved on to some other unbearably irritating and dippy register boy. And through it all, I will be back in my hotel room, NOT brushing my teeth, because you didn't let me buy this goddamn toothpaste.”
 
The clerk was close to tears behind his counter, his girlfriend backed away from Raven with an expression of horror and confusion. All of the customers' faces mirrored hers.
 
“Now,” Raven said, taking an indifferent tone. “How much does that come to?” She pushed a few keys on the register, looked at the total and fished in her wallet. “Hmm…Eighteen dollars and fifty-nine cents…I'll assume you have change for a twenty.” She put her money down on the counter. The clerk just sat there, completely dumfounded, and Raven opened the register, taking her change. “Thank you.”
 
Raven casually made her way out of the small store. `I suppose that's enough threatening for one day,' she thought. `Poor guy…he really was kind of good-looking. Ah well…he did piss me off.'
 
Suddenly, Raven was pushed into the wall from behind. She rubbed her head and righted herself. Her attacker pushed another man, and seemed intent on plowing through anyone else who stood in his way.
 
“Help!” said old man behind Raven. “That man's made off with my wallet and my wife's purse!”
 
“No, he hasn't,” Raven growled. She chanted her mantra under her breath, and the fleeing criminal was engulfed in a black energy and pulled back towards them at an alarming speed. The man turned his head and only felt Raven's fist collide with his face before everything went black.
 
Raven leaned over and took the purse and the wallet from the thief's hands and gave them to the old man, who was beaming.
 
“How'd you do that?” he asked.
 
“Eh. Just did.”
 
“Pretty darn amazing powers you got there, missy.”
 
“Thanks.” Raven glanced at her watch. “I gotta go.” She levitated herself up and was flying away when she heard the old man yelling:
 
“Take care now, young lady! Do good with those powers!”
 
Raven paused, pondering his meaning. `Do good…'
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
“Robin, come!”
 
“But Star, the others are expecting us to be inside the mall!”
 
“Yes, but if we are outside they will locate us with greater ease. And I wish to see the birds!”
 
Robin chuckled. Of all the Earthly animals she had seen so far, birds were Starfire's favorite. They seemed to like her too, as they would perch on her without objection. When they were outside, she turned to the sky. In a few minutes, a crow landed on her shoulder. She giggled and stroked it. Robin just smiled.
 
Near them, there were two women, one of which was marveling at Starfire's ability to not frighten the crow, and the other having a cheerful conversation on her cell phone.
 
“How does she do that?” one asked Robin. He shrugged.
 
“Got me. She just has a way with `em.”
“That's amazing.”
 
“Mmm.”
 
Robin's eyes darted over to the other woman. Her previously light demeanor had vanished, and was quickly being replaced by panic. The woman watching Starfire followed his gaze and went over to her friend.
 
“Vanessa? What's up?”
 
“It's Charlie!” Vanessa cried. “He's on the train and…” She went back to her cell phone. “Charlie? Are you there? Charlie!” Now even Starfire was attentive.
 
“What is wrong?”
 
“He…he said there were some people hijacking the train.” Robin and the other woman gasped, but Starfire paused.
 
“Hijacking…?”
 
Vanessa just looked at her as if she…well, as if she was an alien. Robin fielded Starfire's fly with his eyes shut.
 
“Stole, accosted, took over, overpowered, etc.”
 
“Oh!”
 
“Don't worry ma'am,” he said to Vanessa. “We'll take care of it. Which train was Charlie on?”
 
You'll take care of it?! You're a couple of kids!”
 
Robin straightened his sunglasses. “Correction: She is a super-powered alien, and I am the world's second-greatest detective.”
 
“Oh really?”
 
Robin opened his jacked, revealing his utility belt with the famed `R' symbol on it, drawing gasps from the women. Starfire floated in the air. “Yes, really.”
“He's on the 11:00 F train going to south Jump.”
 
“Got it.” Starfire took Robin's hand and lifted him into the air with her. “Don't worry; you'll see Charlie again in no time!”
 
“Thank you!”
 
“Wow…we just met the Boy Wonder!” The woman whipped out her cell phone.
 
“What are you doing?” Vanessa asked.
 
“I'm calling my sister at the news station. She'll love this!”
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
Cyborg slammed down the trunk of the car and let out a sigh of relief.
 
“Hmm…one bank robbery stopped…one little girl saved…and one shopping trip complete…not bad, eh BB?”
 
“Nope,” his green companion said. “Not bad at all.” They got in the car, when a ringing sound, somewhat like a telephone, started. “Dude, what's that?”
 
“My arm.”
 
“Your what?
 
“My arm phone. Kind of like a built-in cell phone. Rae's got a com-link to it.”
 
“Cool.”
 
“Yeah.” He pushed a button on his arm, and a screen popped up on it. Beast Boy was amazed. “Cyborg here.”
 
“Cy, it's Robin.”
“What's up, man?'
 
“We've got a hijacked train. Need your help. I know where it is, so I'll tell you where to go.”
 
“Hijacked train? This is risky business, Rob.”
 
“Risky or not, we're here to help, right?”
“True. Just tell us the way.”
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
Raven flew over the city, not really focusing on her task to return to the hotel. That particular moment had become one of the rare instances that Raven would let her mind wander, thinking not of the present or future, but getting lost in the past. She put her hands behind her head and flew in a laying-down position, now going at a more leisurely pace. Just when she had begun to feel slightly content with thoughts of brighter times, a sharp voice in her ear jerked her back to reality.
 
“Rae! You there?”
 
“Yes…you know I was actually enjoying myself for a moment, Cyborg.”
“Sorry, but we've got problems.”
 
“Spill.”
 
“We've got a hijacked train.”
 
“Whoopee. Must be our lucky day.”
 
“Tell me about it. Listen, we're right below you.” Raven looked down to see a familiar blue car on the road. “Just follow us.”
 
“On my way.”
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
Yvonne would do anything for her boyfriend, Harry. She would lie for him, steal for him, kill for him—heck, maybe even die for him. She was utterly devoted to him, as he was to her. They were in love, and they would do anything the other asked.
 
So naturally, when Harry let Yvonne in on his plan to hijack a train, she volunteered to help.
 
Yvonne was currently keeping the passengers in the third car quiet. They were all down on the floor or huddled in their seats, throwing her dirty looks and frightened stares. She sighed irritably.
 
“Okay, you guys,” she said to the passengers. “I don't like you, and you obviously don't like me. But as long as my man gets the money from the city, you all are in good shape, hear? I'm not usually the violent type, and I ain't gonna try to intimidate you. Much.” Pete, one of Harry's friends and fellow hijackers, came through the door.
 
“Any problems here, Von?”
 
“Nah.”
 
“Good. Harry's called the mayor, and they've got the message.”
 
“This is going quite smoothly.”
 
“Mmm. Soon, we'll be livin' large, all of us.”
 
“Yep.”
 
Pete's walkie-talkie beeped, and he picked it up. “'Sup?”
 
“Dude, it's Greg, in the back. You ain't gonna believe this.”
 
“What?”
“There's a girl flyin'—FLYIN' I tell ya—towards the train carryin' some squirt!”
 
“Did you smoke a joint this morning, Greg? `Cause I think you're seein' things.”
 
“No, really! Now her hand's glowing, and I think she's—" Greg's voice was cut off, and then there was nothing but static.
 
“Greg…?” Pete pressed another button on his walkie-talkie. “Becca?”
 
“Call me Rebecca, ya louse.”
 
“Whatever. Could you check on Greg? Somethin' ain't right.”
 
“Right…HOLY SHIT!”
 
“What?!”
 
“There people coming on the train. Two girls, a boy, some kinda green elf, and a robot!”
 
“All right, what the fuck have you and Greg been smoking?!”
 
“Nothin', man! I swear I'm not lying!”
 
“Well, whoever these guys are, blow `em away, yeah? We can't afford any complications, this is flimsy enough already.”
 
“Got it, Pete.”
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
Robin held up his hands, trying to stifle the panic of the hostages. After seeing Starfire shoot a starbolt at their captor, they were beyond scared.
 
“Please, we're trying to help! Now, we're going to try to take this train, and save you—“
 
“Don't you get it?!” a man yelled. “They were gonna let us go once the city gave them the money. Now that you've pissed them off, they're probably going to kill us!”
 
“Uhh...I…”
 
“You idiot! We were going to be fine!” screamed a woman. “Now you've killed us all!”
 
Robin was paralyzed. They were right. He had charged in without thinking, too distracted by the prospect of being a hero, of stepping out of Batman's shadow. And now he had no choice but to stick with the mistake he had made. He regained his composure quickly.
 
“Everybody needs to stay calm, okay? I know we just seem like stupid kids—“
 
“Damn straight!” the man yelled.
 
“—But we know what we're doing.”
 
“We do?” Cyborg whispered out of the corner of his mouth.
 
“I must concur,” Starfire said quietly.
 
“It's not so bad,” Beast Boy said brightly. “We just need a plan.”
 
“This may never happen again…but I think Beast Boy's right,” Raven said. There was a collective gasp. “Yeah, I know. But really, we just need a game plan here. Robin?”
 
“All right. Cyborg, Beast Boy, go straight through to the front. Take out anyone stopping you, and don't let anyone get hurt. Starfire, go along the outside, try to surprise some of them. Raven and I will go along the roof. Remember, they've got the advantage here. They've got hostages, and they're on the defensive. Now…go!” Cyborg and Beast Boy moved through the door to the next car, Starfire zipped out the window, and Raven opened up the door to the roof, allowing her and Robin to go topside.
 
Raven and Robin made their way across the train roof. Raven, who actually was quite nervous, decided to make conversation with her companion—she could feel the tenseness emanating from him.
 
“So…given any thought to this superhero thing?”
 
“What do you mean?” he asked.
 
“Like…don't we need a name, or something? Like the Justice League…but our own, you know?”
 
“Uhh…I dunno. What did you have in mind?”
 
“Nothing, really. That's why I asked. I mean, Superman came up with the whole `league' thing, and he's the leader, so…”
“I am getting really fed up with all this `fearless leader' bullshit.”
 
“Sorry. It's not like there's someone better.”
 
“Cyborg would make a good leader.”

”Nah, he's a headstrong asshole.”
“I thought you were his best friend!”
 
“Friends can point out each other's faults better than most.”
 
“I guess you and Beast Boy must be really good friends then.”
 
“Nope. He's just annoying.”
 
“Ah.”
 
“But really…if I'm gonna be shoved into the spotlight with a bunch of people I met last week, we oughta call ourselves…something, right?”
 
“I guess.” He paused, now seeming more enticed by the idea. “It should be something that commands respect…but is cool, too.”
 
“Mmm.”
 
“Like…something that people would know right away, `hey, these guys can't be messed with.'”
 
“Right.”
 
“Something intelligent, though. Makes us sound mature, like we're in control of the situation.”
 
“I thought you said intelligent, not blatantly untrue.”
 
“Oh come on, this isn't going so—“
 
BAPATABAPATABAPATABAPATA!
 
Robin and Raven hit the deck—err, roof—and covered their heads, very surprised by the gunfire. They could see a masked woman with an automatic weapon—Robin guessed an Uzi—sticking her torso out of an opening in the roof.
 
“We've got company,” Raven observed.
 
“Yeah,” Robin agreed. “Let's give her some ol' hero hospitality.” They both leapt up, Robin twirling his bo staff to deflect bullets, and Raven put a shield in front of herself. They slowly but surely walked towards the woman. The rain of bullets abated, and Raven, assuming their adversary had stopped to reload, dropped her shield.
 
Big mistake.
 
The woman, seeing her tactic had been successful, fired another handful of rounds. Robin watched, horrified, as Raven attempted to dodge the attack. A sharp cry pierced the air and Raven grabbed her shoulder. She stumbled backwards, suddenly realizing that her heels were over the edge of the roof. She found herself falling backwards, and disappeared over the side of the train.
 
“RAVEN!”
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
“Did you hear something?” Beast Boy asked, changing back into human form.
 
“Nah,” said Cyborg, drop-kicking another hijacker.
 
“Something's not right. These ears don't miss a thing,” he said, pointing to them.
 
“Eh. Probably nothing important.”
 
“You're right. Let's go.” They pushed the next door open to find Starfire standing over three unconscious hijackers.
 
“Friends! I believe we are right behind the engine, where the leaders of this band of villains reside!”
 
“…Band of villains?”
 
“Come on, BB,” Cyborg sighed.
 
“Harry!”
 
“What?” Harry asked Pete tensely.
 
“I think they're right behind us, Harry. I can't get anybody on the line, not even Yvonne.”
 
“Von-Von! Damn those bastards!”
 
“Yeah, but it gets worse.”
 
“Worse?!”
 
“Well, apparently, we're heading towards a dead end.”
 
“Dead end?”
 
“This track heads towards an unfinished bridge. Unless we take the exit, we're screwed and dead.”
 
“Where's the exit?” A sign whizzed past them in the window.
 
“Uhh…I think that was it.”
 
“Fuck.”
 
“Aww, we ruin your party?”
 
Harry and Pete spun on their heels and found themselves faced with three super-powered teenagers. Pete, the less calm of the two, burst out in a fearful rage.
 
“You retarded little BRATS! Don't you realize what you've done?!”
 
“Err…no?”
 
“We're heading to a dead end! We're gonna fly into the river and we'regonnadrownandWE'REGONNADIE!!!
 
“…You've GOT to be kidding me.” Beast Boy said.
 
“Oh dear…” Starfire murmured.
 
'OH DEAR'?! I don't think you've grasped this, girlie!” Pete screamed. “We. Are. Gonna. DIE!!!”
 
“Chill, Pete. We can still use the brakes,” Harry said. He pulled on the brake lever and it promptly snapped off. There was a long silence, penetrated by Beast Boy's insane giggling.
 
“What the hell is so funny?!” Cyborg yelled exasperatedly.
 
“Dude…ahahaha…this…heeheee…this SO classic.”
 
“Though I think it's nice that you can appreciate the comic aspect of this, HAVE YOU NOT NOTICED THAT OUR LIVES AND THE LIVES OF 200 PEOPLE ARE HANGING IN THE BALANCE?!
 
Beast Boy stopped giggling. “So…now what?” Robin suddenly appeared in the door.
 
“Now…we make a real plan.”
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
Raven was flying as best she could, trying to keep the train in view. This, of course, was not easy to concentrate on while her arm was gushing blood. She was quite amazed that no one had made an effort to contact her. `Of course, with a speeding train with loads of innocent people being held at gunpoint, I guess even I wouldn't be that concerned with a bleeding teammate that almost got a contusion falling off the speeding train…wow, now that I said that, it makes Robin seem a lot more asinine.'
 
“Raven!” `Finally!' she thought. She pushed her com-link a bit further in her ear so she could hear her friend better.
 
“Cy?”
 
“Yeah. Rob said you were hit, are you okay?”
 
“Yeah; I mean, besides the spewing bullet wound in my shoulder.”
 
“Ah. He says he's sorry about that.”
 
“Not his fault. What's the deal? We win?”
 
“Uhh…sort of. We stopped the hijackers.”
 
“Plus.”
 
“And you got shot.”
 
“Minus.”
 
“…And the train is unstoppably careening towards an unfinished bridge over a very, very deep river.”
 
Big minus.”
 
“Yeah. Rob's got a plan, though.”
 
“Judging by how far his plans have gotten us, I'd count that as a very tiny plus.”
 
“I heard that,” Robin grumbled.
 
“Deal with it. So, as I will probably soon pass out from blood loss, what's the plan?”
 
“We're gonna stop the train.”
 
“Mmm-hmm…and we do that how…?”
 
“Starfire and Cyborg are the strongest, so they're gonna get out front and push it back. BB and I will try to find some way decouple the cars so we'll only have to stop the engine. You have to try to stop the wheels.”
 
STOP the wheels?”
 
“Uhh…I mean, with your powers.”
“Uh-huh. HOW? I can't get much closer to the train at this rate.”
 
“I don't know. Just…think of something, okay?”
“I'm never going to have a dull day under your leadership, am I?”
 
“Heh. Probably not.”
 
Cyborg sidled his way out of the train on the small edge protruding from the front of it. He took a deep breath, dug his fingers into the front of the train, and put a foot down in front of it, trying to make friction to stop it. The metal bars were torn from the ground by his massive foot. He winced.
 
Starfire flew out beside Cyborg and put both hands on the front of it and began flying in the opposite direction. The train appeared to be slowing and the two smiled at their handiwork. Cyborg looked up, and his expression was distorted with terror. Starfire turned her head, and in the distance she could see the end of the unfinished bridge.
 
Robin opened the engine's side door and the wind rushed in, blowing his hair in his face. He fired his grappling hook at the rail beside the train and pulled, Beast Boy pulling his cape in the form of a tiger. The rail was uprooted from the ground and flew towards them. Robin ducked back into the engine, exchanging looks of desperation with the changeling.
 
Raven could see the train slowing down, knowing the chances of it stopping in time were very slim. And on top of that, she couldn't fly fast enough to get close to it. `That thing's going to sink like a rock; it's almost completely metal…hey. Full metal…' For some reason, the show she had hardly paid attention to the night before was forcing its way to the front of her mind. That one scene kept replaying over and over again…
 
He slammed his palms on the ground and an electric-like power sprang from them, going across the ground, tipping the truck over.
 
`Hey,' she thought, a grin spreading across her face. `If Edward Elric can do it, why can't I?'
 
“Azarath…” Raven clenched her fists. “Metrion…” Her hands began to glow with black energy. “ZINTHOS!” She slammed her palms down on the ground, her power going along the tracks and gripping the train wheels.
 
“Come on…” she whispered. “Come on…STOP!!!
 
Cyborg dug his heel into the ground, and Starfire pushed as hard as she could. Suddenly, there was a long screeching sound, followed by a great lurch backwards, causing the metal man to lose his grip and fall to the ground. The alien also slipped, flipping over in midair.
 
The train had stopped—twenty feet from the end of the track.
 
Cyborg let out a whoop of joy, and Starfire squealed in delight. Robin leapt out of the train and ran in Raven's direction, while Beast Boy collapsed in relief. Raven got up just in time to be given a slap on the back by her teammate.
 
“Who says my plans suck?” Robin laughed.
 
“OW! Damn, that hurt!”
 
“Sorry. You gonna be okay?” Raven snorted.
 
“Well, I guess I should heal myself before gangrene sets in.” She put her hand on her shoulder and a blue glow came from it. After a few moments, she took away her hand, revealing an uninjured arm and a bullet.
 
“Now that is cool.”
 
“Eh. Comes in handy. Smaller stuff goes on its own.”
 
“Can you do that on other people?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“I repeal my earlier statement: That is cool.”
 
“Mmm.”
 
“You know, I was giving some thought to what you said earlier, about the team name.”
 
“And?”
 
“Well, I kind of had this one idea…” Raven looked up and her eyes widened.
 
“Crap. Media.” Robin looked up to see a news helicopter descending towards them.
 
“Daaaaamn. I guess we're getting a little early publicity, huh?”
 
“Publicity?!” yelled Beast Boy, running up with Cyborg and Starfire. “Where are the cameras, I wanna do my best hero pose!” He puffed out his chest and flexed his tiny biceps, trying to look as Schwarzenegger-y as he could. Raven punched him in the stomach and Cyborg laughed. A reporter came up, already starting her story.
 
“I'm here; live, at the hijacked train, which was, minutes ago, as you saw on our chopper cam, in grave peril.”
 
Cyborg barely stifled his laughter. “Who says `peril'?”
 
“But now, thanks to these five young heroes—" Beast Boy recovered and puffed out his chest again. “—the train and all of its passengers are safe. I hope to get an interview with these brave and gifted teens.” She walked over to them. “Now, who exactly are you?”
 
There was a long silence and Raven glanced at Robin. `Nah,' he thought. `That sounds too big for us…maybe…'
 
“Umm…excuse me. Who are you?”
 
Cyborg looked panicked. “We're…uhh…we're the—“
 
“Teen Titans,” Robin said. “We're the Teen Titans.”
The woman looked a bit befuddled. “The…Teen Titans?”
 
“Yeah!” Beast Boy said. “We're just your resident superheroes. I'm Beast Boy, animal shape-shifter, that's Starfire, alien warrior, this is Raven, telekinetic extraordinaire, Cyborg, the…uh…cyborg, and Robin, the Boy Wonder, our fearless leader.” Robin groaned but the reporter only seemed more intrigued.
 
“Oh. Superheroes, you say?”
 
“Yes,” said Starfire. “We are here in hope of gaining the privilege of being able to stand guard over this city.”
 
“Go Star,” Cyborg whispered. The alien giggled.
 
“Uhh…yeah,” Robin said. “We're here to help.”
 
“Well, I'm sure the city will be interested in the prospect of a team of superheroes,” the reporter said. “Back to you, Dave. And…cut!” The cameraman shut off the camera. She turned back to the newly-named Teen Titans.
 
“Well, kiddos, good luck. With asshole cops like ours, you're gonna have a hard time making your way around here,” she said. “Have fun playing hero.” She and the cameraman walked back to the helicopter.
 
“Well…that was encouraging,” Cyborg muttered.
 
“Bitch,” Raven grunted.
 
“Well, guys…better head back to the hotel,” Robin said.
 
“Man, big-time superheroes in a hotel?!” Beast Boy cried. “If that's not an oxymoron, I don't know what is.”
 
“We aren't exactly big-time, BB.”
 
“Well, we've been on TV, haven't we?”
“Yeah, I guess. But that doesn't mean that we're any better off than before. I've got a feeling that lady was giving us a good warning.”
 
“Yay us,” Cyborg said sarcastically.
 
“Do not fret, friends!” Starfire said. “Just by having a name, we have taken a step towards becoming better protectors!”
 
“Eh…Teen Titans sounds a little dorky,” Raven said.
 
“Yeah, but now that it's out there, we've gotta stick with it,” Robin sighed. His face brightened. “Who knows, maybe we'll get to like it. I do.”
 
“The Teen Titans…”
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
Dr. Fate watched the TV at the Watchtower intently. Batman stood behind him, wondering distantly what the Doctor was cooking up now. He was also swelling with pride at Robin's achievement. Fate walked over to a table and laid out some scrolls.
 
“The Teen Titans. Well, this certainly is convenient.”
 
“Convenient?” Batman questioned, leaning over Fate's shoulder. The scrolls were actually blueprints, containing designs for a T-shaped building. Batman turned to Fate disbelievingly. “You're joking.”
 
“I never joke.”
 
“You came up with that before their name was announced?”
“Yes.”
 
“…Why the hell did you put it in the shape of a `T'?!”
“I like the letter `T'.”
 
“Dear God…”
 
“I suppose we could call it Titan's Tower. I think that would be appropriate, don't you?”
 
“Ugh…” Batman put his head in his hands.
 
“What?”
 
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#% #%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
 
Blowfish: That crazy, crazy Dr. Fate. Hope you liked this chap—I'm not sure why I stuck in that whole Full Metal Alchemist thing. Go figure. It's a really kick-ass show though, you should watch it.
 
Next time: Titan's Tower is under construction! The Titans are still hotel-bound and they're finding out that being superheroes isn't all it's cracked up to be. Seeya!