Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction ❯ The Goddess Dilemma ❯ Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: Same as last chapter, don't own anything but the PC, DVD's, PS2 and the games . . .
 
The Goddess Dilemma, part two
 
By: Jim Ohki
 
“Let me introduce you, to the GREATEST NIGHTMARE!” roared the quasi-human, or rather what was left of him, as he charged Ranma. It could sense that this is where Soul Edge had gone, and it could detect the faint hint of it being in contact with the boy.
 
“NOT IN HERE!” returned Ranma, drawing the blade of legend from Ryoga`s throat. The sword, formerly known as either Soul Edge or Soul Calibur, sent the best way to send the beast back out the same door it had come in, while producing maximum damage. Ranma agreed, and he could almost feel the sword's anticipation of a meal.
 
Charging forward at what he considered to be a normal pace, Ranma delivered a powerful straight jab to the beast's chest. The desired effect was achieved when the creature went flying out the front door to Ucchans, into the street.
 
“Very good, human,” it spoke once he had followed it outside, “But nobody can stop Nightmare. That sword needs to be lost to all mankind for eternity. You will surrender it or die.”
 
“This is a first,” groused Ranma, “An opponent who gives me a choice. But I choose option number three, TO KICK YOUR ASS!”
 
Nightmare paused for a split second. This mere human, responding to it's challenge, was not backing down. Oh, did that bring back memories. Retaining a firm grim on his sanity, Nightmare took up a ready position.
 
“So be it, human. My blade will feast on your soul.”
 
“Bring it!” retorted Ranma, taking a ready stance that the sword hinted would get whatever passed for blood in Nightmare boiling. He was ready for any assault, and noticed that the people of the area had long since vacated. Everybody was no less that three hundred yards away, and that included his friends and would be suitors. Although why Nabiki had a camcorder out he would probably not like to know.
 
Nightmare growled. How dare this WORM take up the stance of his most hated enemy!? With that, the battle was joined and mass destruction commenced.
 
“SOULS, GIVE ME STRENGTH!” roared the beast, right claw in the air. Ranma could tell that this was some type of power boost, and he wouldn't let it finish. He charged into the beast's personal space, and delivered a vertical up-down slash combo with his sword, followed with an axe kick to the head. Nightmare stumbled backward, but didn't fall down. It attacked with a straight thrust of the organic sword, and just barely tagged Ranma. He returned the attack with a leg sweep, and a downward thrust of his sword after the beast had gone down. But Nightmare was faster than it looked, and rolled out of the way of the attempt to stab clean through it. Ranma backed off, and got another idea from the sword. It was fairly weak, but it would infuriate Nightmare to no end. He went into a sword jab/punch to the head combo, much like a former wielder of the blade had done.
 
“IMPUTENT HUMAN!” seethed Nightmare as Ranma twirled the sword and reattached it to his back. The people watching gasped as the weapon's eyes blinked a couple of times in obvious surprise, then closed to let it's new master finish the fight the best way he knew how.
 
The spectators scattered when Ranma started that oh so familiar spiral pattern. Nightmare was getting frustrated, which turned into anger at his inability to hit his target. Just as the immortal thought his target was within reach, a hurricane started up from nowhere.
 
“HIRYU SHOTEN HA!” shouted Ranma, right fist raised in a punch follow-through. He watched with satisfaction as the target of the punch went flying high into the sky. The smirk that he wasn't even aware of on his face faded when the enemy landed.
 
“Is that the best you can do?” asked Nightmare, with a new respect for his foe. Yes, that had hurt, but it was not enough to finish the self-appointed guardian of Soul Edge.
 
“Not really,” answered Ranma while trying to figure out just what the hell to do now. That was one of the best techniques in his arsenal, and it had not finished the enemy off. The respect of an opponent who could take punishment and dish out more went up a few notches.
 
THUD!
 
Silence reined supreme, as nobody could believe that Nightmare had fainted. Apparently that last attack was enough to finish the quasi-human, but it just took a while for the effects to catch up to it. Once Ranma was sure the reformed demon was out for the count and not wanting another round, he and his entourage turned to leave.
 
“MY RESTURANT!” exclaimed Ukyo, which stopped the new found swordsman. Turning to look at the damage that he had hoped to avoid, Ranma himself nearly had a coronary.
 
The entire build had collapsed on itself, and the cause was a power attack from the beast that was . . .
 
“Where'd he go?!” demanded Nabiki, whose keen sense of observation noted that the unconscious beast was not where they had left it. This caused a panic in the crowd that was watching the event, as not one person had seen the monster get up and walk away. Nor had anybody come in with a stretcher and removed it. Nightmare, the self-proclaimed guardian of Soul Edge, had just dropped off the face of the Earth.
 
“Forget that,” growled Ukyo, “Just where the hell am I going to sleep?!”
 
---(Tendo Residence)---
 
Everybody was in for a surprise when they got back to the dojo. Or rather, those that had returned to the dojo. Seemed Nodoka wanted a word with Soun in private, and thus took him to her house. This left Kasumi, Nabiki, Ranma and Ukyo all alone.
 
Where was Akane? She was up in her room, plotting revenge on Ranma for some offense that the boy had yet to commit. That, and that sword terrified her to no end.
 
But the biggest surprise for them was who was waiting for their arrival. Cologne, Shampoo and Mousse were camped at the table, waiting for their `hosts' to return. And even they weren't alone, as the two Goddesses from before were on the other side, with guests of their own.
 
“NIHAO!” cheerfully exclaimed Shampoo, bouncing in place to get Ranma's attention. She didn't go for the glomp because of the way that the girls with Ranma shifted him to the rear flank, much to his chagrin. Shampoo was most DEFINITELY a result of the Ranma `attract-violent-girl' syndrome, and he knew it. Of course, if he hadn't fought her, then he wouldn't have to deal with the breast . . . bubbly person now seated at the table. Cologne, who had already whapped Mousse to keep him quiet, was enjoying tea that one of the Goddess' guests brought out from the kitchen.
 
“Shampoo,” greeted Ranma, wary of any traps, “Mousse. Old Ghoul.”
 
THWIP! ZIP! THUD-KERCLANK-BOING!
 
Ah, good. So far, situation normal as Cologne tried to whap Ranma on the head for the Old Ghoul comment, but quickly found that he had picked up a new trick . . . and a new toy . . . since the last time she spoke to him, which was all of two days ago. Her staff, pogo stick and attitude adjuster was now stuck in the wall behind her, buried over three quarters of the way in. She eyed the weapon held in his hand, and for the first time in two hundred seventy-nine years was shocked beyond belief.
 
“That weapon,” she mumbled after noting the name, then found her voice again, “Where did you get that sword from?”
 
“It's a gift,” Ranma replied, “A very divine gift.” It was close enough to the truth that he didn't feel bad about lying . . . at least, not too much. No need to tip his hand to the mummified remains of a human being in front of him.
 
“There are many legends in the village about that sword,” said Cologne, getting close enough to look for flaws that would denote the weapon as a fake. “This is not the English Excalibur. That one was truly just a sword, wielded by the best of the best. The weapon you hold was thought to have been lost a millennia before the rein of King Arthur and his Knights.”
 
“Ah, good,” commented one of the visitors, “Then the English will be happy that their Monarchy will remain intact.”
 
“Where are my manners?” chimed in Kasumi, drawing the conversation away from Ranma and the latest addition to his arsenal. “Cologne, Shampoo, Mousse I'd like you to meet Urd, Peorth and . . .” here she trailed off, drawing a blank about the other two `people' with them. Urd caught the implied question in a heartbeat, and continued from where Kasumi left off.
 
“This is my sister Belldandy,” she said while gesturing to her right, “And the one to my left is my mother, Hild.”
 
Shampoo and Ukyo eyed the newcomers wearily. They were all highly attractive, sweet personalities (WAIT FOR IT), and . . .
 
“That's Hild, Queen of Hell!” exclaimed the near perfect duplicate of Urd, sans the facial tattoo differences. Oh, and the attitude did seem a little different as Hild went to roast her wayward daughter only to have her spell fizzle and die.
 
“Uh-uh-uh,” chided Ranma, wagging his finger side to side, “Not inside the house please. I cause enough damage around here as it is.” Internally though, he was screaming at himself, `Just how the hell did I do that?!'
 
The respect level for the boy went up a few notches, or in a couple of cases a few dozen notches, at the application of something rare for him: the use of brain-power. Of course, it didn't hurt that he had basically told the A-1 most powerful demon that she was DENIED.
 
The only side effect of this was that the females present minus Cologne, who was twitching on the floor, swooned. Now Ranma panicked.
 
“Quit lookin' at me like that!” he shouted, jumping out the back door. The fact that the door was closed was lost in his rush to vacate the house full of females looking for the world like they found `the one'. Reapplying the previous brain power backfired this time though, as Ranma broke out the colorful metaphors.
 
“Jesus Christ, what the hell am I?!” he loudly complained, “A side of fucking beef or some type of goddamned game trophy?!”
 
Eureka, instant mood change. Even from their new positions on the floor, Ranma could tell that he'd said a bit too much. Or it could have been that it was phrased wrong. He didn't have time to think about it as the current occupants of the house jumped up, and charged the now stunned boy.
 
“Aw crap, whatdoIdo whatdoIdo?!” screeched a now female Ranma after tripping while backpedaling and falling into the Koi pond. Apologizing seemed out of the question at the moment as Moose supplied the eight women with weapons. Cologne needed no weapon as she retrieved her pogo stick from the wall. Deciding that it might have a better potential for success, Ranma made a break for the compound wall.
 
Or rather, she would have if Kodachi hadn't decided that right now was a perfect time for a visit. Ranma collided with the gymnast, and both fell to the ground with a resounding thud. She was on her feet in a flash, running away from Kodachi when the outer wall to the compound exploded, revealing the Eternal Wanderer. And of course, whenever Chaos attacks, it attacks in trios. Guess who else has just arrived.
 
“I SHALL SMITE THEE!”
 
“Great,” grumbled Ranma, “Not only do I have the retards Kuno, I have bacon breath showing up at the same time. All right, let's dance.”
 
In the five seconds it took from the wall exploding to Ranma cursing the opponents in front of him, the curse change happened again. Now back to being male, Ranma became set to attack these wonderful intruders when he remembered that the entire house, sans the sisters Tendo and Belldandy (based on appearances) was full of fighters. Fighters that wanted to stay on his good side now.
 
CHINK-A-CHINK-A-CHINK
 
That would be the chains coming from Mousse. Oh look, there goes a bon-bori. Chaos reigned supreme, especially when the absolute last person wanted around a house of females appeared, if only to get clonked upside the head by a duck shaped bedpan.
 
“SWEET-OOF!”
 
“Stop picking on poor Ryoga!” shouted Akane as she came out of the house with a flying kick aimed at Ranma's head. Of course, she whiffed as Ranma leaned to the right. Akane ended up knocking Ryoga over, as gravity had taken hold and lowered her trajectory. He lay on the ground, grasping the family jewels, groaning in pain.
 
That was a low blow, even if unintentional. The fight paused for all of five seconds for the obligatory “Ooh, that's gotta hurt”, then resumed with a vengeance. As in, Kasumi wielding a frying pan and Nabiki flinging around a chair vengeance.
 
Yes, free-for-all.
 
Ranma decided to take on the most dangerous of the opponents in the form of Happosai. Ukyo and Shampoo squared off against Kodachi and Tatewaki. The goddesses stepped back to watch, and perhaps heal those that needed it. Hild, however, was glaring daggers at Happi, and only restrained herself by not wanting the wrath of Ranma. Ryoga decided that it would be in his best interest to stay out of this one, at least for now. Although, Mousse was ready with a few dozen bedpans in the event that Ryoga got out of line.
 
The biggest surprise was that Kasumi and Nabiki were double teaming Akane. The reason as to WHY the most docile person and the reforming mercenary were involved became apparent when an heirloom of their mother, the very last one to have survived so long without injury, came loose from its mount on the wall when Akane whiffed with what she thought was a surprise punch. She had tagged the wall, the vibrations went all around the house, and the resulting crash-crink-clink of broken glass led to this latest development. The combatants all stared each other down, waiting for some signal to begin the melee. As the neighbors fled, somebody shouted.
 
Insert voice from Mortal Kombat: “FIGHT!”
 
Where that came from is unimportant. What is important is that acted as the starting signal, and the riot commenced. Objects and bodies flew through the air with the greatest of ease, some even clearing the wall and hitting civilians. Ranma was taking his fight seriously, mostly due to being extremely enraged at Happi as he openly attempted a rebound glomp of Urd, Peorth, Nabiki, Belldandy, Hild, Shampoo, Kasumi (DEATH WISH!), Ukyo, Kodachi (she does have a nice rack), Akane back to Urd. In that order. Attempted as in foiled every time he tried to get it going, by either one of the targets, sending him back to Ranma, or by the boy himself. Akane was on the defensive from her sisters, not wanting to hurt family but still be the BEST Tendo fighter around. Kasumi's frying pan of doom proved her wrong with a bonk to the shoulder, sending the youngest sister to the ground in immense pain.
 
We now pull back from the riot in progress to breathe some fresh air. The dust from the fight could be seen for blocks, and the occasional lightning bolt could be seen for miles. The property damage was intense, as entire blocks worth of houses crumbled from shockwaves, flying debris, flying bodies, and Ryoga causing earthquakes with the Baksai Tenketsu.
 
While most of the Nerima ward ran for their lives, a few people were running into the fray. Soun and Nodoka came from the Saotome home as soon as the news on the television showed what appeared to be the long awaited nuclear meltdown at the Tendo residence. The police, JSSDF, and United Nations troops were maintaining their distance, not wanting to break out the machines of war unless the riot spread. And spread it appeared to do when another riot spontaneously sprung up in the Juuban ward. The people there fled, and joined those fleeing from Nerima. The resulting rush of people funneled into downtown Tokyo, causing havoc with the evening rush hour.
 
Just another day in the life of Ranma Saotome.
 
The fight drew more attention then just that of the locals. Just after the melee started, a minute tear in the space-time continuum opened up, making a nifty deposit of several people. Right on top of a fully recovered Nightmare.
 
“Fools,” he grumbled, forcing the impromptu dog-pile off of him by standing up. Those that had dropped in for a nice visit nearly had a coronary when they saw who was speaking to them. Although, a trip like that through time and space does make it hard to do much of anything.
 
“You,” groaned out one of four females sprawled out on the ground. The others were apparently to paralyzed with fear to do much of anything other than stare at the once-human now-demon.
 
“Yes, me,” responded Nightmare, earning confused looks all around, “What? Do I have something on my face?”
 
“If it wasn't for the fact that it was you,” replied one of the three males, “I could've sworn that was a joke.”
 
“It was,” deadpanned Nightmare, “You know, six hundred years can change even somebody as bull headed as myself.”
 
“What are you talking about?” demanded the second of four females, now able to stand. “Six hundred years my ass. Prove it.”
 
“Okay Cassandra. Look outside.”
 
It wasn't just the recently identified Cassandra Alexandra that looked outside, the entire group did. Only to see a massive dust cloud off in the distance, machines of war rumbling about, people running in circles in abject fear.
 
“Looks like your handy work,” quipped another of the males, this one carrying a staff.
 
“No it is not,” evenly retorted Nightmare, “This is the work of the man that fused the Soul swords. Pay attention to the chaos signatures Kilik, and LEARN.”
 
“Wait a minute,” chimed in the next to last female, who was wearing an almost illegal mini-skirt. “The Soul swords were FUSED?! How?!”
 
“Xianghua,” flatly said Nightmare, “You will probably get a chance to meet the mortal that fused the swords into one. Right now I want to know just why you people are here.”
 
“Psh,” snorted Mr. Nunchaku himself, Maxi. “Like I am supposed to know why we were launched this far into the future. It could be the sword summoning us, or it could be that some higher being is doing this for a lark.”
 
“Then how about we stop standing around here and go there,” spoke the Sword-Whip dominatrix known as Ivy. She made for the door, quickly followed by everybody else. Nightmare stayed quiet about the wielder of the Soul swords, some deep instinct telling him that this was more likely a test, to see if they were worthy enough to be in the presence of the young man who had accomplished such a feat.
 
Back to the main matter at hand, the quickly dying fight at the Tendo Dojo . . .
 
Quickly dying as in quite a few of the combatants were down. Some were simply too injured to fight, while others just plainly had the shit beat out of them. All three Tendo sisters were sporting bruises and minor cuts, the will to fight and the anger that drove the will completely spent. The Kuno siblings were both out for the count after a mid-air collision when Ukyo launched Kodachi with an over the shoulder Okonomiyaki toss, and Shampoo punted Tatewaki. Ryoga was sitting on the sidelines, an icepack applied to a now very tender area of his body. Mousse had lost his seventh pair of glasses while running interference on Happosai, trying to keep the Uber-Pervert from getting anywhere near the women. Shortly after losing his glasses did he impact one of two trees still standing in the backyard, laying him out.
 
Cologne wasn't as lucky as the others mentioned so far. She had smothered a wayward Happo Fire Burst, taking the effects of it full on at point blank range. Shampoo knelt next to her, crying and wiping the blood from her eyes courtesy of a cut on the forehead from Mr. Insane Kendoist.
 
Ukyo lay exhausted on the remains of the grass, every muscle protesting the extreme over-usage. She could hear the one fight that was still ongoing, and how each combatant was wearing thin on energy reserves.
 
The Goddesses and sole Demon, once properly PERSUADED, began the task of healing those they could while preventing any attempts at escape. Even though they defended themselves, they all knew that Kami-sama would not be pleased in the slightest if they interfered in the fight. This was something that had been boiling for far too long, and the meltdown was severely needed.
 
Ranma and Happi were still going, albeit very slowly. The chi and ki attacks were long abandoned in favor of the physical to preserve what little bit they had left. All those foiled attempts at glomping paid off dividends because it prevented Happosai from recharging while fighting. Being that this was a duel between martial artists, Ranma was avoiding using either the sword or the katana that he carried. At least, until all other options were totally exhausted. Which was upon the boy. Not having had the time to practice the new styles and moves granted in his wish was turning out to be a bad thing, since those moves would be new and unexpected. But Ranma just didn't have the time to properly integrate them into the Anything Goes Style, and thus were useless at the moment.
 
“Give up boy,” panted Happosai during a small mutual break for air, “You're still not good enough to defeat me, even if you used your weapons.”
 
“Shut up and fight,” retorted a partially recovered Ranma, beginning their dance yet again. Neither had noticed the growing spectators, from a new batch of people camped up on the remaining wall to those that were recovering from such a fierce battle. Those that truly knew Ranma were surprised when he broke out the broadsword, engraved with the Excalibur name. Happi had to do a double take, and those up on the wall had a hard time remaining silent at the appearance of such a mythological weapon.
 
“How disappointing,” remarked Happosai, “that you would resort to using a weapon. We both know that you are better than that Ranma.”
 
“If it were anybody else, I wouldn't even consider it,” replied Ranma smoothly to the accusation. “But we also know that this fight, this battle cannot end in a stalemate. It is either you, or I that will win this.”
 
Uh oh. Proper grammar from Ranma? Again those that knew Ranma reacted, by moving farther away out of the line of fire. This was a fight to the death, a rare duel to be witnessed by a select few. Legends, songs and operas would spring forth from this clash of the Titans, oh what a glorious day!
 
Bah, too much Klingon Blood Wine . . .
 
Ranma twisted his wrist, presenting Happosai with the flat of the blade. And thus, Happi promptly ruined his shorts when the eyes on the sword opened, daring the pint-sized pervert to attack. Ranma smirked at the reaction he got from Happosai as the sword engaged the master of the Anything Goes School in a staring contest.
 
Both combatants charged at an unseen signal, ready to finish the fight . . . and a life, once and for all . . .
 
TBC
 
Ooh, evil cliffhanger. But my mind is fried with the latest additions to my game collection. That, and I am trying to figure the best way to write characters in and out smoothly. If I have missed the mark with any facts, please let me know so I can correct it.
 
Just don't hold your breath as maddening waits occur since I work like sixty hours a week . . .
 
Until next we meet, Ja Ne!