Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Tears ❯ Redemption ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Tears: Chapter Two

When Ryoko awoke, she found herself laying on a futon next to Washu, her head on Washu's shoulder and Washu's arms wrapped protectively around her. She also had the mother of all headaches and desperately needed a hot soak in the onsen. Ryoko was about to disengage herself from her mother's embrace, when Washu suddenly spoke,"Good afternoon, sleepyhead." Not believing her ears, Ryoko looked at the clock and saw that it was 2:00 P.M. She was about to go look after May, when Washu suddenly teleported them both to the onsen."Ryoko, don't worry about Mayuka right now. Tenchi and the others are taking care of her and we need to talk. Besides which, you look like a complete wreck", Washu said when they arrived.

Ryoko had to agree about being a wreck and she wanted a nice hot soaking to soothe her aching head, but needing to talk to Washu was what she had her doubts about. Still, as she recalled what happened last night, Washu had been there for her when she called. She had even changed out that freakish,"Washu-chan" she used all the time, which made her look like some kid sister instead of her mother. Saying nothing, Ryoko and Washu both washed together and rinsed themselves off. They then climbed into the hot springs and looked at each other. After a moment, Ryoko said"Alright Mom, you said we need to talk so let's talk."

Realizing that this might be the best chance she would ever have, Washu tried to reach out to her daughter.,"Ryoko, until now I've never known how to make you understand how much I love you and how your rejecting me always pained me. Last night, you heard the child of your heart call you that most wonderful word, Mother. Now you have something him in common with me, and can finally understand what I have to say. I want you to listen to this analogy before you make any judgements. You remember how Ayeka was when you first met?" At this Ryoko nodded,and Washu continued,"Now imagine that you are trapped in the cave again, only able to see and hear through May. Ayeka is raising her into that same snobbish bitch she was and you are helpless to stop it. You know in your heart that if you were free you could change her back into the wonderful person you remember. Years go by and May is now a person that is everything you hate, and you can do nothing to change it. Then miracles of miracles, you are freed and you immediately try to reach her and find that person you once knew. Instead, Mayuka looks at you like you're some monster and tears your heart to shreds by rejecting you."

Seeing Ryoko's face, Washu knew she had hit home and waited for her daughter to speak. Ryoko took a deep breath and replied,"I'll grant that you have a good point Mom," and then screamed," but that doesn't give you the right to treat me like you have. First, you stayed in a child's body like some damn FREAK! Then you kept going after Tenchi like he was some guinea pig. And worst of all, you tied me up and left me hanging in the dark, alone and scared, and videotaped the whole thing!!! Tell me WHY I should let you be a part of my life, if that's the only thing I can expect."

At this outburst, Washu could only look down. Ryoko was right, she had been cruel to her. Still, Ryoko hadn't left, she was waiting for Washu to answer so there was still hope that the breach could be healed. Knowing her next words would be her final chance, Washu gathered her thoughts. Finally, Washu spoke,"You're absolutely right Ryoko, I've treated you horribly. I won't ask for your forgiveness because I can't. All I ask is that you listen to what I have to say, and judge for yourself if I'm worthy of being forgiven, of being a part of your life." At this Ryoko only nodded, since she didn't trust herself to speak and she wanted an answer from Washu.

"You already know part of the reason I've stayed a child. I've never been able to come to terms with my son and husband being taken from me, simply because I didn't have any 'status'. You were supposed to be in part my redemption, my proof that lineage didn't matter. Because I didn't pay attention, Kagato was able to kidnap me and turn you into a monster that everyone hated, not the loving person that I dreamed of raising. Even after I was freed, I stayed a child because it was better than facing the fact that I had twice had my children taken away from me. Last night, you called out for me and I couldn't let the chance to hold and protect you go by."

Pausing to regain control over herself, Washu continued,"My chasing Tenchi was in part to punish you for hurting me. Despite what Tenchi may have thought, I would have never taken that 'sample'. I just wanted him to stop being so dense around girls. By putting him in a situation where he couldn't get away from sex, I hoped to make him confront his fears. Unfortunately, Mihoshi continually would disrupt my plans. Understand this Ryoko, your happiness means everything to me and that means Tenchi is yours. As for that night, I did it to hurt you the like you kept hurting me with your rejection of me, especially after I'd gone to the trouble of convincing you to merge with Zero. Zero did so much for you, and all you did was treat me like dirt. So I decided to punish you by stripping you of your pride and letting you know that you weren't as strong as you pretended to be. It worked alright, but afterward I felt lower than dirt. I had just proven myself to be no better than Kagato. Because I couldn't swallow my pride and let our relationship heal at its own pace, I ended up driving you further away. It's taken this long just to get you to talk to me again.,"

Ryoko had remained silent throughout Washu's explanation. After letting the tension hang between them for a few minutes, Ryoko quietly asked,"And where does Mayuka fit in all this? When you asked everyone if they wanted her brought back, you were really asking me, weren't you?" Washu looked Ryoko again and said,"Yes, I was asking you. Have you never wondered why I didn't bring May back as a teenager with all of her memories? I could have easily done so, and still can. I didn't and I won't however, both for her sake and yours. Both of you had your childhood stolen, and while I cannot change the past, I could give Mayuka a new future. Her memories are locked away in the soul crystal until she is old enough to handle them. Meanwhile, she will grow up in a loving family. You needed someone who could accept the love that you had to give, and look how that has turned out. Tenchi is no longer afraid of you, and you now know the love that a mother has for a child. You may not have carried Mayuka in your womb, but you carry her in your heart and that is just the same. It was the only gift I could give you that would show how much I love you."

Washu fell silent again. She had said all she could say and now the rest was up to Ryoko. Again the tension hung between them, and Washu began to worry that she had failed. Finally, Ryoko spoke,"If you had tried to tell me why you tied me up that night before you brought May back, I'd probably have spit in your face. Even before last night, I'd have a hard time forgiving you. But now that I've heard Mayuka call me her mother, I can understand why you've done some of the things you did to me. I'm willing to give us a fresh start, both because of May and because you finally were there when I needed you. But there are some conditions." Washu looked at her, hope and fear naked on her face.

"First, no more staying a child. You can't believe how much I hate that 'Washu-chan' form you use. You're 20,000 years old, start acting like it. Second, stop spending all your time in the lab. If I'm May's mother, that makes you her grandmother and grandparents should get to know their grandchildren. All your work has been nothing but an excuse to avoid facing your problems. I'm just as guilty in my own way and look what happened when I got caught with my guard down. In return, I'll start sharing my life with you. It won't be easy for either one of us, but maybe we can build something worthwhile." Washu had tears in her eyes by now, and after drying her eyes with a towel, spoke,"Now that I have my daughter back, I don't need 'Washu-chan' anymore. As for my work, I'll gladly cut back if it means spending time with my daughter." Ryoko then replied,"I guess we have a deal, Mom."

They both got out of the hot springs then. As they both dressed, it was all Washu could do to keep from crying tears of joy. Her most heartfelt prayers had been answered. Ryoko, meanwhile, was thinking about Mayuka calling her "Mama". No one could say now that she was irresponsible or unfit to raise a child. Just wait until the Royal Council heard about this!! The thought of the "demon space pirate" raising a Princess of Jurai, which Mayuka was legally, would give some of those overblown bigots a heart attack.

Both Ryoko and Washu entered the living room, where everyone was waiting. Mayuka was on the floor playing, when she saw Ryoko. Her face lit up and she said,"Mama". Ryoko scooped her up in her arms and hugged her tight, letting everyone see her love for this child of her heart. No longer did she have to hide her feelings, now that her pain was out in the open and everyone still cared about her. Ryoko then did something she had sworn never to do. In front of everyone, she began to sing Achika's lullaby. She didn't have to worry about someone else singing it, because now she had something far greater, she had Mayuka's love. Everyone was amazed at Ryoko's singing and wondered where the song came from. Nobuyuki, however, had tears in his eyes as he recognized the lullaby. He wondered how Ryoko had learned it, as she was locked up in the cave when Tenchi was a baby. After she was finished singing, Ryoko just stood there, holding onto May while feeling the love of mother and child. Washu was right, Mayuka had been her greatest gift to her and more than anything was why Ryoko could find it in her heart to forgive.

********************************************************* **************

Over the next few months, Ryoko slowly began to face her memories. She started to have therapy sessions with Yosho who, as priest of the shrine, was a trained counselor and being from outer space himself could understand some of the more outlandish sounding stories. Washu was there to provide support, which was needed because Ryoko often broke down sobbing as the horrors she had seen and experienced were brought out. She let the tears flow, knowing now that hiding the pain only made things worse later. Washu also had private talks with Yosho, mostly because he knew what it was to have lost a child and spouse. While all his other wives and children lived long and full lives, Achika had died before her time, and her mother had died out of grief shortly after.

Ryoko's relationship with the rest of her family also changed. Before, she had alway hid her emotions, always put up a shell to protect herself from being hurt. Now she let others see the warm, caring nature that she had only shown to May. Everyone was amazed at her transformation, and both Tenchi and Ayeka commented that she had changed from an ugly duckling into a graceful swan. They deferred to her authority over taking care of Mayuka, especially since Ryoko was the only person that Mayuka called Mama.

As July wound down and August approached, the Royal Family called. They were coming to visit both to see their children and to discuss some important matters. Unfortunately, six suitors for Ayeka would be coming as well, and all of them were determined that Ayeka would marry one of them. When Ryoko heard this, she could only clench her teeth and pray. Now that she was Mayuka's mother, she wasn't going to hide this time. That meant having to put up with not one but SIX idiots who would make life miserable for her. The house would be in chaos during their visit, which of course would make life hard on May. Ayeka looked at her sympathetically, as life would be also miserable for her.

On August 1, the Royals arrived. Ryoko was with Mayuka in the onsen bathing, both to prepare herself for the chaos ahead, and to give Ayeka and Sasami a little privacy for their family reunion. After her bath, Ryoko took Mayuka outside to greet everyone. She curtsied Azusa, greeted Lady Funaho, and braced herself for Lady Misaki. Sure enough, after Misaki had finished cuddling Mayuka, she gave Ryoko one of her trademark bear hugs. This time, Ryoko surprised everyone by not only returning the hug, but matching her strength for strength. Misaki gladly accepted this and both of their spines were cracking before they broke the embrace. Azusa and Funaho were looking at each other, wondering if they were hallucinating. Finally, they shrugged and went inside.

Once inside, Ryoko looked at the six noblemen and waited for them to recognize her. Two of them, Tetsu and Hiroshi, merely looked at her and nodded. Sumi, a blonde haired man with intelligent eyes, actually bowed to her and greeted her courteously. Ryoko marked these three, as they were actually behaving themselves and not acting like that buffoon Seiryo. The next two, Korehira and Norimoto, looked at her and Mayuka with hate and loathing in their eyes, but kept their peace. Clearly, Azusa had laid down some ground rules, for which Ryoko was grateful. It was the last one, Nobaka, who made Ryoko shudder. There was a malevolent intelligence in his eyes and a sneer on his face that reminded her of Kagato. Here was someone who would bear watching at all times.

During lunch her suspicions were confirmed. Nobaka spoke condenscendingly to her, staying just shy of outright insults and threats. Clearly, he wanted to provoke her into a fight and while she normally would have obliged, her instincts told that this one was dangerous. Also, she had found a new appreciation of life, and no longer felt the need for fighting. So Ryoko ignored him, and fed Mayuka. After lunch, she joined the other women for the soap operas. Misaki and Funaho also were soap fans, and whenever they were in Council meetings, they always made sure that the episodes were recorded so they could watch them later. Ayeka told Ryoko that once someone forgot to record an episode, and both of Azusa's wives had gone into a complete frenzy. Azusa ended up personally having to go to the studio and get a copy of the missed episode to placate his wives. Needless to say, there was never an episode unrecorded again. Ryoko had laughed herself silly at the thought, though she'd have probably done the same thing.

After the soaps, Azusa had rejoined them, along with Tenchi, Yosho and Nobuyuki. After everyone was seated, Azusa spoke. " When we called earlier, one of the reasons for coming here was that there was some important issues to discuss. That time is here now. Tenchi, Startica is approaching and we three want you,Mayuka,Ayeka,Sasami and Yosho to be there. It is time you were introduced to the people of Jurai. Yosho, you have made your desire clear, but you still must visit Jurai. You owe it to the people to confirm you are alive and well, and you have to publicly declare Tenchi as your successor. Ayeka, Sasami, you must also be there to also let people know how you are doing. Professor Washu, I have been asked by the Science Academy on Todain to see if you would be a guest lecturer. They would pay you well in gold, which I imagine would come in handy for expenses around here. Ryoko, Nobuyuki, you are invited to visit Jurai, if you wish."

Azusa waited for everyone to quiet down after hearing this. Once everyone was finished talking among themselves, he spoke again, "We need to know by the end of the week, when we head back, what you have decided. I am sorry about the abruptness of our request, but this issue was hotly debated in the Council right up until we left Jurai." Ryoko was deeply troubled by what Azusa said. At hers and Washu's request, Mihoshi and Kiyone had not reported Mayuka calling Ryoko her mother nor Ryoko's breakdown. Now May was being taken away from her where she felt she couldn't follow. Despite the invitation, Ryoko knew in her heart that going to Jurai would only bring trouble. Both the common folk and the nobles would only see the monster that attacked and destroyed so much of Jurai, not the daughter of Washu. Earth was her home now and Mayuka her daughter, but how to tell the Royals this?

Ayeka, meanwhile, had her own problems to contend with. Now that Azusa had made his announcement, her suitors felt that they could make their case for marriage. While Hiroshi,Tetsu and Sumi were actually pleasant to talk to, Korehira,Noritomo, and Nobaka left her feeling like she was covered in grease and slime. Dealing with one suitor was bad enough. Dealing with all six while also trying to decide what to do about her father's request pushed her to the limit. She felt like strangling her parents for allowing so many suitors at once.

Around late afternoon, Ayeka finally managed to extract herself. The first three nobles politely excused themselves and went to watch Tenchi and Yosho train. The last three, however, sought out Ryoko with the express purpose of provoking her. They knew she wasn't at her full power, and foolishly believed themselves her equal. They found her playing with Mayuka while the Royal Family looked on. Nobaka immediately began where he had left off, with Korehira and Noritomo also joining in. While Azusa was shocked by their rudeness and his wives' tempers were approaching the boiling point, Ryoko calmly ignored the three. She knew what they were up to and she had better things to do than to give them the satifaction of pissing her off. Seeing how Ryoko wasn't reacting to the nobles provocations, Funaho and Misaki calmed down while Azusa looked at her with great respect for such restraint.

Ryoko's refusal to be provoked finally pushed Nobaka over the edge. He decided to hit Ryoko through Mayuka, seeing how she cared for the baby. In his sneering voice he said, "Gentlemen, I see that Miss Ryoko doesn't wish to play with us because she already has a playmate. I wonder what it will look like when it grows up. Will it be a furry beast like her pet or will look like something even funnier?" At this, Korehira and Noritomo laughed uproariously. Azusa,Funaho and Misaki were all shocked at such disgraceful behavior and were about to upbraid the three of them when they saw Ryoko's face. Her eyes were narrowed to mere slits and power was radiating from her. Teleporting between Korehira and Noritomo, she lashed out with her fists and sent them flying across the room, out cold. Then before he could blink, she had hooked her thumbs inside Nobaka's cheeks and her fingers in his ears.

In a quiet voice that more terrifying than her screaming, she said,"NO ONE mocks my Mayuka. ARE you understanding me?" . Not hearing a response, she yanked him over her head and repeated the question. Nobaka was in excruciating pain meanwhile and was desperately trying to get away from her. He clearly had underestimated her power and was terrified for the first time in his life. Even with only one of her gems, she was more powerful than the three of them combined and now that power was focused against him. Whimpering and crying, he tried to say yes, but his mouth was in agony.

Nobaka's punishment might have gone on even longer, but at that moment Mayuka had laughed and said "Mama". Ryoko's face lit up, her eyes opened wide with pure joy and she cried,"Little Mayuka!!". Negligently tossing Nobaka with one hand, she scooped up her daughter and began laughing happily with her. Nobaka sailed face first through the wall where he hung like some bizarre wall ornament. Seeing this made Mayuka laugh harder, and Ryoko said,"Did that bad man hurt Mommy's little girl? Don't worry, Mommy will make sure bad people like him behave and not say such naughty things."

Azusa and Funaho had face-faulted at Ryoko's behavior. It went against everything they knew about her and neither of them could believe their eyes or ears. Misaki, however, had rushed over to Ryoko and Mayuka and hugged them fiercely. She had long suspected that they were kindred spirits, souls whose hearts were full of love and unafraid to show it. Kagato had hurt Ryoko deeply, and she had erected a wall around her soul, thus preventing any real emotions from escaping. Clearly, that wall was destroyed and her soul was now shining through. Washu walked in just then to see what all the racket was. Taking in the scene before her, she calmly went over to Azusa and Funaho and waved some smelling salts under their noses.

Once they woke up, Azusa and Funaho immediately began badgering Washu with questions. Finally they were satified that the bond between Ryoko and Mayuka was real, and that this was the real Ryoko before them, not some duplicate. Washu then looked at her daughter and said, "Ryoko, don't you think you should clean up this mess? Leaving trash around the house is very bad manners." At this, Ryoko looked a little guilty and replied,"Oh, all right. But where do I dump them? They won't fit into the trash can, and Tenchi won't like me fouling up the lake." Azusa then answered," Toss them outside, I'll have Azaka and Kamidake throw them in my ship's brig. Their behavior is an absolute disgrace, and they will be punished." Misaki and Funaho both got an evil glint in their eyes, and Ryoko decided that she wouldn't want to be in those idiots' shoes.

Handing Mayuka to Azusa, she first picked up Korehira and tossed him into middle of the room. Next she tossed Noritomo on top of him, and then she yanked Nobaka from the wall, taking a large chunk with him. Tossing him on top of the other two, she picked the three up and teleported outside, where she called for the guardians. Dumping her load on the ground, she gave Azusa's instructions to them and reappeared in the living room. Ryoko then got a broom and dustpan and proceeded to finish cleaning up.

Later that evening, when everyone was finished eating and had gathered in the living room to watch a movie, Ryoko came to a decision. Now that the Royal Family had accepted that Ryoko was Mayuka's mother, she knew they would accept what she wanted. "Your Majesties, I cannot go to Jurai, I would only be the cause of trouble at what should be a happy occasion. Mayuka cannot go either, because she is too young to be separated from her mother. Therefore, I must inform you that both of us will be staying on Earth, along with Ryo-ohki", Ryoko said. The Royals were startled by her announcement, but seeing her face, they all nodded their agreement.

Sasami then objected,"But Ryoko, what will you do for food? You've never learned how to cook more than boiling noodles." Ryoko looked at her and replied,"Sasami, you forget that I don't need to eat or drink, same as Ryo-ohki. Furthermore, I don't have a sense of taste, so food has little meaning to me. Don't worry about me starving." Ayeka tried a different tactic to get her dearest friend to go with them. "Ryoko, we'll be gone for almost a month. Aren't you the least bit worried about Tenchi spending all that time alone with me.?" Ryoko laughed and said,"Nice try Ayeka. We both know that Tenchi will make his choice when he is ready. If Tenchi spends time with you, he'll make it up to me when he gets back. Besides, do you really think your father will allow you two to go anywhere unchaperoned?" At this Azusa had laughed and put on a stern look.

Ryoko then looked at Tenchi. "Tenchi, goto Jurai. Their Majesties are right, you need to be introduced to the people of Jurai. It will be a good starting point for you to taking on the mantle of Crown Prince. Kiyone and Mihoshi are due back next week from patrol, so I won't be lonely for long.", Ryoko pleaded, "After you get back, we all can have a late birthday party for Mayuka." Everyone started, as they remembered that Mayuka's first birthday was this month. Tenchi smiled and said,"Since everyone is so sure of this, I'll go. Ryoko, I promise I'll take you out to a festival here when we get back. I'll also bring back plenty of birthday present for my little girl." At this Mayuka had giggled. She didn't understand what Tenchi said, but she knew her father loved her.

Everyone else, including Nobuyuki, also agreed to attend Startica. Washu then spoke,"I'll give that lecture at the Science Academy. My granddaughter's birthday is approaching, and I need enough money so that I can spoil her rotten." The Royal Family laughed, since they were planning the same thing for Mayuka. Now that everything was decided, a cloud was lifted from the Masaki home, and everyone enjoyed the rest of the visit.

Finally, it was time for everyone to leave. Washu closed down much of her lab and set the security systems so only Mihoshi,Kiyone,Ryoko,Mayuka and herself could safely enter. She would be dropped off on Todain, and hook up with Mihoshi and Kiyone just outside the Jurai Protected Zone Marker on the way back. The Yukinojo and Ryo-ohki were still the only non-Jurain ships allowed near Earth. The GP's had already been notified and would be waiting for her. She then boarded the ship after giving a goodbye hug to her daughter. As Ayeka and Ryoko were hugging each other, Ryoko said with a mischevious gleam in her eyes,"Don't get caught doing what I plan to do with Tenchi when he gets back." Ayeka replied with the same gleam,"Who said I'm going to get caught?" Hearing this and looking at Azusa's face, Tenchi gulped.

Sasami cried as she hugged Ryoko and Ryo-ohki, who was in her child form. While she understood Ryoko's reasoning, she would miss not having her playmate with her. The night before, she had setup several days worth of meals for the three of them, with explicit instructions on how to prepare them. Yosho had then bowed to Ryoko, and asked her to maintain the shrine's cleanliness, to which she agreed. Nobuyuki also bowed to her before boarding, telling her to take any messages from the office.

Tenchi then came up to her. Holding her close, he gently kissed her on the cheek and then kissed his daughter. Tenchi cared deeply for Ryoko and Ayeka now, and honestly believed he would never be able to choose between them. He had a premonition, just before he agreed to go, that after this trip, life would never be the same for the three of them. What would happen he didn't know, only that Startica would be a crossroads in their relationship. After saying goodbye to his daughter and her adopted mother, he too boarded the ship.

Finally, the Emperor and his wives came over. Azusa gave her a formal bow of respect. Funaho also gave her a kiss on the cheek and hugged her great-great granddaughter. Misaki was crying as she gave Ryoko her crushing bear hug, which Ryoko again matched easily. They then boarded the ship as well, and Ryoko watched as the ship left the Earth and headed out of the solar system. When they were gone, Ryoko went inside with Ryo-ohki and Mayuka. With everyone gone, the house, which had been full of life, now seemed a lonely, empty place.

*********************************************************** ************

If you think that Ryoko is OOC in the second half of this chapter, watch Episodes 11 and 12 of the OVA's. Zero is what Ryoko is really like, when she is not hiding the from the pain and horror that has been her life before. The next chapters will much darker, as Ryoko will be put through hell. Still, there is light at the end of her dark journey and she will emerge a much stronger person from her experiences