The Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction / Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ Navi's Redemption ❯ Chapter X: Navi's Redemption (p2) ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter X: Navi's Redemption (p2)
Beta Reader: Deej
Disclaimer: Zelda characters are owned by Nintendo. Kaula, however, is mine.
 
Four days after my vision in regards to the fairy Navi (which had been interrupted due to my dropping the bucket and then hindered by the Phantom God's presence), I finally had a chance to sit and try to see the rest of the tale.
 
I had to admit I was curious as to why I was seeing these images. Did they have to do with the Phantom God's farkas? The unsung Hero of Hyrule? It made some sense, as visions, while seeming irrelevant and misplaced, typically had value in some form or another. However, it was up to the person seeing them to determine what was important, what the reason was that Nayru, Great Goddess of Wisdom, would send them to us.
 
And there was always a reason.
 
Far as I could tell, from the prior vision, the fairy, Navi, had something to do with the Phantom God's request. Or, the Phantom's God's requests had something to do with the fairy Navi. I really wasn't sure at the moment which was why I was hoping to learn more.
 
Taking a calming breath, I lifted up the mirror I'd placed on my lap. It was a pretty little mirror that Moeder Badria had gotten for me from the fair with a small chip in the otherwise perfect circle. It was set in a wooden frame that had a handle, only a little crooked, that was painted a pale coral pink with little plastic pearls along the right side of the frame. It wasn't the most ideal for seeing but I'd used it before with some success.
 
A flicker appeared on the mirror, some bit of light I thought came from the candle, but when I looked the mirror's surface rippled and waned, gradually focusing as it showed a beautiful woman, pale blue, whose image I could see right through.
 
_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_ *_*_*_
 
 
I did not understand this.
 
I looked around, noticing the familiar scene of the garden behind the church. It didn't make sense. How was I still here? Shouldn't I… not be here?
 
My children, my two fairies, whose light had been born the moment mine had died (or thought I'd died) were slowly stirring. They chimed, uncertain and confused. I tried to speak to them, to reassure them… but they didn't notice me. Didn't hear me.
 
“Hello?”
 
No response.
 
“Hey!”
 
Nothing. Why couldn't they hear me?
 
As much as I wanted to stay with my children, I thought that perhaps I'd have better luck with Link. Perhaps I'd done something wrong in the creating of my children, some tiny flaw that rendered them unable to see or hear me?
 
Fluttering my wings, I took to the air, casting a glance back at my daughter and son. I would be back soon, I told myself. I just had to find Link, tell him I was okay. Then, I would come back. Back with Link.
 
I hung in the air for a moment before pulling myself away, phasing through the temple, going after Link. He was heading out the main entrance, slowly, turning his head to look back at the Sacred Realm where the master sword, and Ganondorf, lay.
 
“Link!” I flew right in front of his face, laughing at myself when I realized, for once, what I wanted to say and what was coming out of my mouth were the same. “Oh, Link! I'm so glad to see you!”
 
But he didn't respond.
 
“…Link?”
 
I flew closer, albeit slower, and hovered just before his face. His face… it looked young at first glance but there was something, something heavy about it. Heavy about him. I couldn't see the weight pressing upon him but I could feel it, sense it.
 
“Oh… Link.”
 
I moved towards him, reaching a hand out to touch him, assure him… my fingers were a wisp away from touching his face before he turned away.
 
“Link!”
 
I flew after him but he didn't pause in stride, didn't even turn around or acknowledge me. I tried again, louder, the end of his name breaking into something of a sob.
 
Link!
 
He left the Temple of Time, shutting the door behind him, the door echoing hollowly throughout the temple.
 
“Link…”
 
Like the last leaf of fall, having been tossed and tumbled around by the wind only to be let go, I gradually fell to the floor. I couldn't understand. Why? Why had he turned from me? Why didn't he answer me?
 
“…Link…”
 
<He didn't see you, fairy.>
 
The voice was soft and each word was said with a hint of a sigh. I tried to find the speaker but to no avail.
 
“Why didn't he?” I voiced my question to the emptiness, half expecting an answer, half unbelieving that I had heard anything at all. When there was silence, I rose, figuring it was the later when another voice spoke.
 
<You already know.>
 
This voice was spicy and full of fire. I cringed a little from the heat behind it, though it did not sound malicious though it was somewhat strong and perhaps even a tad overbearing, to my ears.
 
<The balance is off.> This voice I favored. It was cool, but not cold. Soothing, and even comforting after the voice of flames had spoken.
 
<The balance has been off since this all started!> The voice of flames almost seemed to grow hotter, this time, a trace of anger lacing in its words. <If he wouldn't have->
 
The soft voice hissed and cracked its words out, cutting off that of flames. <The fault was not his, but ours! We should have stopped it sooner!>
 
The voice of soft and the voice of flames went silent, almost as though waiting. I took this time to rise, my wings shaking though my body held perfectly still. I had yet to see signs of those who spoke and found it eerie, though Link and I had faced off against stranger, I suppose.
 
<He was not wholly wrong… and we were not wholly right.> The soothing voice spoke these words slowly, regretfully, it seemed.
 
<He was not wholly wrong?! He was entirely wrong! He overstepped his role! The role that he himself defined!>
 
<Had we intervened sooner, we might have stopped this, this cycle from happening.>
 
<With what power?> the voice of flames scoffed. <We had nothing until the people had need of us. We were nothing more than stars in the sky, bits of colored light!>
 
<We could have done something!> the soft voice's volume rose, the whisper becoming something of a howl.
 
<What's done is done.> The soothing voice did not change tones or volume, it remained cool and steady despite the other voices squabbling. <He did what he thought best, we did what we deemed best. In the end, it will be set right.>
 
<He shouldn't have interfered!> There! In the air! A ruby spark of light, half the size of my own form cut into the air. It was intense and vibrant, lasting the span of a lightening flare before fading. <There are laws! Laws he wrote and oversaw, laws the others wrote and agreed to! The laws of mortals, the laws of Gods, the laws of all! They were not meant to be tampered with and now, look! Look at the mess!>
 
A little flicker of emerald popped in and out, somewhere to the left of the first bit of light, and the whisper/howling voice spoke out. <We broke laws too! By stripping him of his powers, by dividing him from himself… are we not to be judged as well?>
 
The ruby spark jumped into existence and out of existence again, the voice of flames jeering. <Did you not forget? We broke law because he did first! If we did not, he would have destroyed all. All may still be destroyed! Look, look how close it was this time!>
 
A soft, gentle light of sapphire sparkled to my right. It stayed slightly longer than the prior two colors. <All is not destroyed.>
 
The red flared. <Oh? What of her?> The ruby light suddenly shot towards me, spinning around me like a comet before fading. <She should not be here, you know this! It is not the way of the Fae.>
 
<This is true.> The soft voice seemed reluctant to admit, as though displeased that the heated one's words might be right. <The Fae are not meant to exist in this realm…>
 
“What realm?”
 
Silence. For a moment, I was fearful I would be struck down though by what I was not quite sure.
 
<You are sure.> The soothing voice said, as if a sly smile was in its words. <And you are correct.>
 
<The realm we are in, not of light, not of dark… of twilight.> The soft voice stated, answering my question.
 
“Twilight?”
 
<The in-between. It is sometimes referred to as `limbo' by mortals of this plane.> The soft voice continued. <Though it is really not `limbo,' in the sense that they mean it. It is merely another plane of existence, one of many. This one is unique, in that it lies almost completely on top of another.>
 
<That is to say> the fiery voice kicked in <that those in this realm can see what goes on in the other, but the other can't see into this one, you see?>
 
I could somewhat understand but I could not fathom why I was here. Why wasn't I with Link? How could I get to be with him?
 
<You can't be with him!> The ruby flare crackled into existence right in front of me, heat radiating from it. <Don't you get it?!>
 
<You were brought here because it is the only place you could be put. When you made your `children' you went against the Deku Trees orders> the soft voice murmured, the green light floating above my head. <Not only that, you went against the laws laid down for the Fae, laws set by us and the others, laws set up by him! That is not possible!>
 
The blue light faded in. <And yet…> Its voice and light trailed off.
 
<Things are getting worse! We should just end this nonsense now.> The red light flared a darker shade, moving in and out of existence so fast that I had spots of it in my eyes when I looked away.
 
<We cannot end it.> The soft voice gave a heavy sigh. <We haven't the strength to break this.>
 
<Things are often worse before they get better.>
 
<Better?! You think this will get better?!> The little red light suddenly burst into a giant fireball, close to the size of child Link. <There is nothing but Chaos when there should be Order!> The tendrils of flames licked outwards, causing `ripples' in the air. Some of the floor became blackened at the heat, I was thankful I was out of range from the worst of it.
 
The blue light dropped down and a shiver passed through me as it spoke.
 
<Chaos and Order… Light and Dark… Harmony and Dissonance… it is not one or the other…>
 
_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_ *_*_*_
 
And like that, the vision was broken.
 
It took me a few minutes to orient myself, to remember that I was not in the Twilight Realm, that I was in Moeder Ba- my cabin. I was Kaula, not Navi. I was alive, not dead. Still, I had to take several calming breaths before I could rationally take in what I had seen.
 
“Well?” His voice made me jump, the mirror falling from my lap and clattering to the floor though, thankfully, the glass did not break. Red eyes starring into mine, he gave a smile that made me feel as though someone had walked over my grave.
 
“What did you see?”