The Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction / Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ Wind Lover ❯ Chapter II ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~Wind Lover~
 
Chapter II
 
Eledon stood from his chair, facing the members of the Council. “Elders, friends,” he began, his voice clear and strong, “as you know, the evil we have guarded for 30,000 years has escaped. We must revive the search for the Princess' descendant, and find her at all costs before Vaati. If he is able to get a hold of her, the world may very well be doomed.”
 
“Sage Eledon,” Sura said. “We have tried in the past to find the girl, and even with our resources, we failed. How can you be so certain the Fire Viseere will even find her?”
 
“You are right, Sage Sura. We do not know for certain that Vaati will find her, but that is a chance we cannot afford to take,” Eledon replied. He turned to the man sitting on his right. “Sage Daiwen, you will be in charge of the search. Please begin preparations by this evening.”
 
The man named Daiwen nodded. “I will do so.”
 
“Then the Council is dismissed. We will regroup tomorrow,” Eledon said.
 
~*~
 
Vaati awoke to the sounds of sticks cracking and loud voices. He opened his eyes and sat up, brushing pine straw out of his hair and clothes, and adjusting his hat. The voices were growing louder now as their sources drew closer, and he stood up, walking towards them and peering through the trees at the two people—a boy and a girl, about eighteen or nineteen years old. They were both dressed in blue leggings and a loose fitting shirt, and the language sounded the same as the one he had been hearing. He wondered if they might speak the Hylian he knew as well.
 
He stepped out from the shield of the trees, directly in their path. “Foolish humans, do you understand me?” he asked in Hylian.
 
The two teenagers stopped, staring at the wind demon before them with a look of shock on their faces. After a moment, the girl let out a shriek, and moved behind the boy, saying something to him and tugging on his shirt. The boy yelled something at Vaati, waving his fist in the air, and then the two of them turned and ran away.
 
Vaati frowned. Apparently they did not understand him, or if they did, they were too frightened to actually respond. Well, at least they were intelligent in that aspect. But now there was a fairly large problem raised for him. If no one, beyond those mages he had first encountered, could understand what he was saying, he was going to have a rather difficult time. The girl had seemed to have no comprehension of what he was saying, either. Thinking back on it, she'd also had rounded ears, and so had everyone else he had seen—the mages included. It was almost like an entirely different race now inhabited Hyrule.
 
The wind mage crossed his arms over his chest, thinking. How was he going to deal with this? The answer came to him quickly. Ah, of course. He could use the Perara Fruit, the miniature nut with the power to allow anyone who ate it to speak any language. It would be a pain to go get it, but it would be worth it.
 
Drawing on some of his power, Vaati began to shrink himself, until he was the size of a tiny ant. He looked around. The world had completely changed in appearance. Now, things that had seemed tiny and insignificant only a moment ago, things such as pinecones and mushrooms, towered high above him. This was exactly why Vaati hated reducing himself to Minish size. He felt so small and powerless; it irritated him. The sooner he found one of those Fruits, the better.
 
An hour dragged by while Vaati searched. He sat down, leaning his back against a stick, and closed his eyes. It hadn't occurred to him that the Minish world might not even exist anymore. For a brief moment, he felt a wave of sadness that he might be the last of the Minish remaining, but he growled at himself angrily, shutting off those kinds of thoughts. The Minish were a thing of the past he had given up long ago in exchange for the power he now wielded. What did he care what happened to those nuisances?
 
“Who are you?” a voice squeaked.
 
Vaati opened his eyes, surprised. That voice hadn't spoken Hylian. Looking down, he saw a Minish child sitting on the ground in front of him, staring up at him with wide, curious eyes.
 
“I haven't seen you before,” the child said. “Where did you come from?”
 
Vaati eyed the child warily. He had never liked children much; they asked too many questions, and they were always so happy, even when they shouldn't be.
 
“Nesur, where have you wandered off to?” a second small voice called.
 
The child stood up. “I'm here, mommy!” he called into the forest.
 
A moment later, a young woman appeared. “Nesur, I've told you not to wander off,” she scolded. Her eyes fell on Vaati, and she stopped. “Who is this?”
 
“He came from up there!” Nesur exclaimed happily, pointing to the tree tops.
 
“From up there?” his mother repeated. “You don't mean from the human world?” She turned to Vaati. “Is this true?”
 
Vaati frowned at her. What right did this woman have to question him. “I am no pathetic human,” he said angrily. “I am a powerful sorcerer.”
 
“What's a sorcyru?” the boy asked. “Can I be one too?”
 
The woman giggled. “Of course not, Nesur,” she said. “The silly man is only joking; sorcerers don't exist anymore.”
 
“But mommy, I want to be a sorcyru!” Nesur whined.
 
“Hush,” his mother said. “Tell me, why are you here? And why is it you can speak our language?” she asked Vaati.
 
The Wind Mage frowned. What did she mean, sorcerers no longer existed? He was right here, wasn't he? Well, as long as she was here, maybe he could make use of her. He grabbed the child, holding him tightly beneath the throat. The boy struggled to against Vaati's grasp, kicking his legs about wildly
 
“Nesur!” the woman cried in horror. She looked at Vaati with wide eyes. “What are you doing to him?”
 
“I am searching for a Perara Fruit,” Vaati told her. “Bring one to me, or you will never see this boy again.”
 
“Please don't hurt him!” She was close to tears. “I'll go and bring you one now, so please let him go!”
 
“First bring it to me, and then I will.”
 
The woman glanced at her son grievously. “Hold on, Nesur, I'll be back soon.” She looked up at Vaati one last time, then hurried off into the forest.
 
Sighing, Vaati dropped the still struggling child and returned to his seat. “Don't think of trying to escape,” he said.
 
The boy rubbed his throat. “Are you a bad sorcyru?” he asked after a moment.
 
Vaati glanced at him. “That's right. I'm an evil sorcerer who's going to rule the world, so you should fear me.”
 
“Why are you going to rule the world?”
 
“Because I am the most powerful being alive, and it is my right.”
 
“Ooh,” Nesur said. He was silent for a few seconds. “Why do you want to rule the world? Is it fun?”
 
Vaati glared at the boy. This child was starting to get on his nerves. What did he mean why did he want to rule the world? Obviously because…well… “I have my reasons,” he said simply. “And once I am the world's supreme ruler, everyone will have to respect me.”
 
“My grandy is the Village Elder, and he says that true respect has to be earned. He said you can't force people to respect you by being scary.”
 
Ugh. This child was being such a nuisance. “Just be quiet, brat, or your mother won't have a child to come back to.”
 
The boy sucked in his breath, and clothed his mouth, looking frightened. He stared at the ground in silence for several minutes, and then started to drag himself closer to Vaati, until he was sitting beside the Wind Sorcerer.
 
Vaati stared at the child in surprise. Was this brat stupid or something? Before he could say anything, the mother came running back, carrying a small nut in her hand.
 
“Here,” she said, holding the fruit out to him. “Now please let Nesur go.”
 
Standing up, Vaati took the Perara Fruit from her, and pushed the boy towards her. “Now get out of my sight,” he ordered. Obediently, the woman picked up her child and ran quickly into the depths of the trees.
 
Vaati snorted and popped the nut in his mouth. It was rubbery and revolting, but he forced it down anyway. He wasn't sure why he had let the two Minish go. It probably would have brought him great satisfaction to squash that annoying brat once he returned to full size. Well, it didn't matter anyway. He'd gotten what he came for, and now he would actually be able to speak to that girl. Drawing on his power once again, he reverted to human size.
 
~*~
 
“Ow!”
 
Lydia waved her hand in the air, waiting for the pain to go away. This had to be about the millionth time she'd pricked herself with a straight pin today. Sighing, she set the material for the dress she was working on aside and stood up, stretching the stiffness from sitting so long out of her muscles.
 
She left her bedroom, walking to the kitchen to get a drink of water and a snack. Ever since yesterday, she hadn't been able to focus on anything. Her thoughts kept reverting to the strange man who had tried to capture her, and then flown away when the cops tried to arrest him. He had flown. She and Mika had freaked out about that for at least two or three hours before Mika finally went back to her own house. The police had also been shocked, and it had made the six o' clock news.
 
Lydia wondered if he was some sort of magician, but it didn't really seem plausible. Though on the other hand, hers and Mika's other idea seemed even less plausible. The man had purple skin and hair, red glowing eyes, long pointy ears, and strange clothing, and then he had flown. All these things had fed the two girls' imaginations, and they had produced the theory that he was, in fact, a demon.
 
“Ah!” Lydia cried, thumping her glass on the counter. It was just too weird! All of the physical things could have just been done with costume makeup and some accessories, and he could have used some sort of trick to make it look like he flew, right? Either way, why had he been trying to kidnap her anyway? She groaned and leaned her forehead on the countertop.
 
The phone started to ring, and Lydia grabbed it off the wall, looking at the Caller ID. It was Mika. She hit the on button and held it to her ear. “Hello?”
 
“Lala!” Mika said in a high-pitched voice that indicated she was excited about something. “I've been thinking about Purple Man a lot, and I've decided he is definitely a demon! I mean, how else could he fly, right?”
 
“Mika, there are plenty of ways that he could have made it look like he flew,” Lydia said.
 
“Like what?” Mika asked.
 
“I don't know; I'm not a magician! He's probably like Criss Angel or something.”
 
“Ehh,” Mika said, disregarding that idea. Lydia rolled her eyes. She could almost see her friend waving her hand in a dismissive manner. “Anyways, if he is a demon, that means he probably has other powers than flying, so we'll have to be extra careful, cause we don't know when he'll try to kidnap you again or what he'll do.”
 
“Why would he try to kidnap me anyway?” Lydia asked. She'd been trying to figure that out for the past twenty-four hours.
 
“Beats me. But since he's done it once, he'll probably try it again, so we have to be prepared.”
 
“I already know that,” Lydia said. “But if your theory is right and we are up against a demon, there's not really much we can do.”
 
“Yeah, I know! What do you think we should do?”
 
“Wasn't this your idea?” Lydia asked. Mika only giggled. “Well, I'm definitely stocking up on pepper spray. It seemed pretty effective last time. We should probably do research on demons too, since we don't really know anything about them, other than they're apparently purple.”
 
“Ooh, ooh! I wanna do research!”
 
“Fine, Mika. You can do research, but I'm going to as well. Oh, and remember not to tell my parents about this,” she added. “I had the hardest time keeping them from watching the news yesterday. They probably think I'm completely nuts.”
 
“Oh, I gotta go, Lala. My mom wants me to help her with dinner,” Mika said. “I'll call you later, k? Bye!”
 
There was a click and then the dial tone buzzed in Lydia's ear. She hung up her own phone and returned to her glass of water. This was going to be such a pain; of all the people in the world, what did this weirdo want with her? Maybe if she could understand what he was saying, she could ask, but that seemed unlikely. She groaned again. Maybe they were wrong and that guy wouldn't bother her again. That would be very nice.