The Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ The Desert's Rose ❯ Southbound ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Desert's Rose
 
Warnings: Slash, violence, angst, cute little kids
Disclaimer: Zelda, Sheik, and the word Sheikah aren't mine. The ideas, plot, and Sheikah culture ARE.
 
Chapter 6
Southbound
 
Tallic had not thought traveling would be so boring. She stared at sand and rocks and cacti and bugs and birds and clouds and the back of Sheiks head. She talked and complained and generally made a nuisance of herself until midday when Sheik decided theyd stop to rest. The desert was getting rather hot and hed found a rock overhang big enough for them all to wait for a cooler time.
Tallic, Sheik said, his voice strained with annoyance as he shoved sweat dampened bangs from his face. Im going to beat you if you dont be quiet.
Youll have to catch me first, she shot back snarkily. Sheik sent her a dirty look, then sat down on his cloak, back pressed to the relatively cool stone. She ended up setting down beside him, threat or not.
I thought this would be more exciting, was grumbled after a bit. Sheik lifted a brow. You know. Bandits and monsters.
I should hope we meet neither as long as possible.
But thats boring.
Youre the one who invited herself onto this journey.
Oh, go suck a cactus bulb.
Sheik snorted with amusement despite himself and Tallic shot him a glare that quickly melted into a little smile of her own. Shaking his head a bit, Sheik dug in his backpack and pulled out one of the scrolls. Hed read through them all last night when he couldnt find the will to sleep and had decided from them to head South first. The old map hed been lent from Zerin showed a forested area in the south of the Illusion Basin and the Stones were supposed to be drawn to their element. The Terra Stone, therefore, would most likely be there.
He studied the path, noting that theyd pass between the Terra and Aqua Temples along the way and noticed something else. There looked to be a city marker within the trees of the South but he couldnt read the name.
Tallic, he asked, do you know what this is?
She leaned over and looked at it hard but then gave up and sighed. Nah, just a smudge I think. Im not good at maps anyway. My papa was a merchant, you know, before he got into the fighting with Mama cause they had to. He was teaching me a little about maps and reading before
When she trailed off, Sheik glanced at her and remembered quite suddenly that both Tallics parents were dead, taken when she was very young by the very man he had managed to eradicate from the world. He felt guilt anyway for reminding her. She stayed quiet a moment or two, then turned away and drug one knee to her chest.
Anyway, it doesnt look like anything to me.
Sheik nodded and rolled up the map, putting it back away in favor of the scroll detailing the Terra Stone. The stone was said to have healing properties and, like the others, was capable of greatly magnifying innate magical abilities. The power was unimaginable. Terra had an added side ability of affecting unseen magical currents in the very earth. The scrolls were unsure if this meant merely leaching off magical energy or being able to call the earth to attack enemies, but they were all equally reverent towards the power the stone gave.
As the sun began to wane, the two started off again. Tallic was just as bored as before and just as annoying. Sheik wondered if it was really a good idea that he brought her with him and then got a very, very good idea.
Nightfall came and they stopped. Tallic looked a little surprised since both were still rather fit for continuing longer. Sheik went wordlessly to Evalus and pulled from one of the saddlebags a long, strong branch. It had come in a shipment to Zerrins shop and since Sheik was a fair hand at whittling, Zerin had given it to him. Sheik figured he might spend the hot hours whittling it down to something but had found a better way to use it.
Tallic lifted a brow in surprise when he handed it to her. A stick? What the hell, Sheik?
Hold it in both hands, dominant hand on top, Sheik replied as he drew one of the blades from his waist. Tallic stared at it, then her stick, then gave Sheik an incredulous look.
Youre not gonna attack me with that, are you!?
Without missing a beat, Sheik fell into a basic stance and looked at her calmly. Mimic me. Your top hand is the stabilizer for your strikes. Right on top will make your right directional strikes more powerful, left to left.
Still confused, Tallic tried to emulate him. Sheik carefully corrected her stance, gave a bit more advice he wasnt entirely sure shed really get yet. She stopped questioning him finally and just listened, eyes rapt with attention. Sheik then proceeded to beat the energy from her, teaching her the first of swordsmanship the same way Impa had taught him, except hed had a sword to cut himself with. Sheik was good enough not to hit Tallic with the blade (though the hilt caught her a time or two to teach her a lesson) but the kid wasnt doing as well keeping the end of the stick from rebounding and bashing herself.
By the time Sheik called a stop to it, Tallic was sweating, bruise covered, and exhausted. She slumped onto her cloak and slept silently until Sheik woke her to go. They traveled a few hours, slept during the hot hours, and traveled on again until nightfall when the next lesson commenced. Thus set the schedule for the next days of the journey. Sheik didnt mind losing time in travel and Tallic didnt notice past her own exhaustion.
It took nearly a week to reach the trees and they began abruptly. Sand made way for rocks and dirt. Sheik frowned a little at the transition. Even from the Gerudo Valley to the Field went somewhat smoothly. This looked unnatural. Felt unnatural.
On guard, he murmured quietly to Tallic once theyd dismounted. She nodded, looking a little giddy as she brushed the stick wedged in her belt with eager fingers. Sheik took Evaluss reigns and kept himself ready as they entered the trees. Immediately, the temperature dropped a few degrees merely from the shade. Sheik frowned further but pressed on. If anything, this could be a sign of the Terra stones presence.
They walked until midday when Sheik found tracks. He stopped them and kneeled, studying it. The print wasnt like a Hylian or Sheikah foot. The toes were too like an animals, but the print was over all too long for that. The closest he could figure were be a narrow footed Goron but so far from the mountain? But whatever made the track couldnt have been that heavy More man sized He puzzled over it a bit, then gave it up for now. After all, the print could belong to a native animal he knew nothing about. No one in Boh had ventured so far from the village in a generation or two, so theyd had no idea what he might face.
Lets keep going, Sheik decided and Tallic gave the odd track another look before she followed Sheik on again. They got maybe five steps before figures dropped from the trees.
There were five of them in all, dressed in great leafy cloaks and huge wooden masks that obscured all of them but their arms. Two had scaley, green and brown skin with blunted finger tips like the lizard men of Hyrule. One of them was holding a bow with deadly aim while the second was quite obviously gathering energy from the ethereal river. Another two were furred in brown with clawed fingers holding sharp knives within them. The last of them seemed almost feathered and, like the last of the scaled ones, gathered energy.
State your business or you shall find yourself without breath to do it, one of the bowmen snarled out in a raspy tone.
Tallics hand wrapped around her stick hilt but Sheik grabbed her wrist and wrenched it away before lifting his own hands. She scowled but did the same.
My name is Sheik of the Sheikah, he started. This is my apprentice, Tallic. Were on a peaceful mission of great importance.
Sheikah? one of the furred men murmured in surprise. His voice was strangely more like a growl than anything, smooth and deep. You flesh babies never leave that speck of yours.
Tallic clenched her jaw, red eyes enraged. She managed a few words before Sheik covered her mouth, Stupid beastly bastards-
Tallic, Sheik hissed, giving her a warning look. He immediately turned back to the speakers. I apologize for my apprentice. Shes young and spirited.
The second furred one let out a noise like a cackle. Aye, young ones
One of the scaled ones released the energy they were gathering and reached up to remove the oversized mask. Sheik still hand hold of Tallics wrist and felt her jolt with surprise. The face under that mask was so like the lizard men of Hyrule that Sheik nearly drew his sword. The reptile was female with wide, reflective black eyes and mostly green skin with brown markings. An intricately beaded silver headdress rested over her hairless head and hung down past where external ears would have been.
Hail, Sheik and Tallic of the Sheikah, she said, her voice raspy and soft. I am Bridae of Kasuto City. Excuse our aggression, but were unused to your kind so far south. The last time well. Lets just say we have a right to be cautious.
Of course. If we had known there was a settlement here, wed have sent word ahead, Sheik assured as he relaxed a little. He could feel the power in the lizard woman but there was a certaingentleness to her.
Im sure, she murmured with a strange smile. The others began removing their masks as well. There was another lizard, one that looked like an owl, a catlike one and the last was rather canine. None of the other four were any less suspicious but Bridae continued to smile. Now then. I will ask that you tell us why you are journeying.
Sheik let go of Tallic, who gave him a rebellious look. Were seeking the Stones of the Five Temples.
There was shock, then growing suspicion. Bridaes smile faded. Why?
The temples are unstable, Sheik responded. Boh is being affected by it and failing. If the Sheikah hope to survive another generation and prosper, the Stones must be returned to their Temples.
What makes you think weve got a Stone? the catlike one asked with narrowed yellow eyes.
Im not certain, Sheik admitted. However, the scrolls say that Stones are drawn to their own element and this is the only area Terra would be if that is true.
Bridae seemed almost relieved then. I see. Then you are following rumors.
Yes. Sheik noted her change in tone and wondered if it were only the Stones believed power that concerned them.
Meet me once your shift is over, Bridae said, glancing at her fellows. Im taking these two to Kasuto.
The other lizard started to protest but a glance from Bridae silenced him. A leader then. Sheik noted that as he moved a hand to Tallics shoulder. Thank you for your hospitality.
The walk was a long, winding one and partway through, Sheik realized Bridae was purposely leading them in a way they'd never be able to figure out once they left. He understood the caution but was rather glad when they reached the settlement. The city was a sprawling metropolis of tree houses and hanging bridges, magical lifts and vine ropes, all spiralling to dizzying heights in trees that seemed to be trying to reach the Goddesses themselves. Tallic stayed close to Sheik's side, one hand curled in the tail of his tunic, but her wide eyes were constantly jumping from sight to sight as she took it all in. Sheik himself was impressed by the craftsmanship he saw but also noticed other things.
There were signs of old and recent damage to most of the buildings and trees, places of new, short growth along the ground. He tensed. Kasuto City had been attacked by something, likely in the last few weeks, and was recovering slowly. It looked to have been going on for a while from the signs. Sheik wanted to ask but was afraid of reaching the end of their guide's patience.
Bridae was smiling, glancing back every few moments to Tallic's wide eyed expression with a near fond look. Other denizens weren't so warm. Their eyes held suspicion and fear, mothers keeping a close eye on their children as the outsiders passed. Bridae ignored this but Sheik couldn't help revising his opinion. The attacks had been recent and likely prolonged over weeks, if they weren't still happening. He could tell by the tenseness in the people and, now that he looked harder, he could see covert readying for more battles. They hadn't chosen a good time to adventure here...
There was no inn in Kasuto City. Bridae led the two to her own home, one of the few on the ground floor. The home was set around the base of one of their enormous trees and seemed to have been constructed with more stability, great stone blocks cut and set in careful patterns. Inside, the furnishing was slim and each room connected to the next in a continuous ring. Most of the doors had strong latches and the walls were carefully plastered. When Sheik touched one, he was surprised by the undercurrent of magic flowing through the walls. Shielding spell..?
He looked to Bridae, eyes narrowing, and opened himself to the magics. They flowed around her like bees to honey, in and out of her body as if it were made to be a conduit. Of course. A heavy magic user would need spells like these to keep the backlash from huge workings from affecting the population around her. One mystery solved, Sheik and Tallic followed the lizard woman to her guest room. It wasn't large, but was comfortable with two hand made beds and a few other comforts.
Bridae left them there, warning that one of her servants would be guarding the doors and they were not to leave until sent for. Tallic almost said some choice words about being trapped, but Sheik managed to get a hand over her mouth first. They bedded down for the night after Sheik gave Tallic a reading lesson, since they couldn't very well spar in such an enclosed space.
The night was quiet at first and then the two Sheikah awoke to sudden screaming. They grabbed their weapons and bolted out the door. The servants were gone. Sheik grimly led Tallic through the ring of rooms to the exit.
Outside, women and children screamed as they ran for lifts or ropes, trying to get away. Fire burned all over and the sounds of battle barely rose over the roar of the flames attempting to engulf the village. Warriors of Kasuto fought hard against black robed invaders who showed skill they could barely keep up with. The black robes were overwhelming, pouring from the trees around them and coming up from the ground itself..
An attack and Sheik hoped it wouldn't be the one to end them.