Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ All My Gunslingers ❯ A Stranger in Town ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Welcome to New December city. A town of intrigue, wealth and squalor side by side, of danger. The city is unofficially dominated by a small group of upper crust families who control access to all the city's greatest resources. Amongst these families are the Bluesummers, the Stryfes, and the Thompsons.
 
What follows is an alternate universe melodrama in the classic soap opera style, complete with fatal diseases, long-lost relatives, murder, glitz and glamour, secret adoptions, surprise pregnancies, shady pasts, and plenty of romance. Each of our beloved Trigun characters has been gifted (or cursed) with two soap opera quirks (addictions, closet homosexuality, tragic histories, etc.).
 
All My Gunslingers is intended to be a campy, overblown, at times (by design) ridiculous and out-of-character. It was co-written by and inspired by
-nicholasdwolfwood,
-themis56 (http://www.fanfiction.net/~themis56)
-readingwhiz89 (http://www.fanfiction.net/~readingwhiz89)
and the irrepressible Demon Shinigami.
 
Edited by nicholasdwolfwood for your reading pleasure. The parody is in a script/RPG format (with soap-opera-style edits), with dialogue written accordingly. Enjoy!

Now...introducing
chapter one of (Young and Restless theme plays)--All My Gunslingers.
 
 

New December. A peaceful town. A prosperous town. But a great deal of the prosperity is enjoyed by a relative handful of wealthy families who hold sway over the fashion, energy, and other commercial industries of the cities. Two of these families are the Thompsons and the Stryfes. Mr. T and Mr. S have had a long lasting but occasionally rocky friendship since their boyhoods, and each is the godfather to the other's children. Mr. T, who has managed to almost maintain a complete monopoly over the area's agricultural products, is a ruthless businessman but loving family man, the proud father of 10 children, the youngest of which is Milly; Mr. S, the oil baron, has an only daughter, Meryl. Meryl and Milly have been friends since childhood as well, and these young women are about to come into their own. They're at the age that their parents are thinking of ways to marry them off. To announce this change of course, both families are planning on holding a debutante ball for the girls.

However, neither are happy. Milly hates formal affairs and Meryl thinks the whole idea of a debutante ball is sexist and pointless.

FLASH

Milly: NO, Papa, I don't want to! I can't dance, I don't like fancy dresses! Please, don't make me do this!

Mr. T frowned at his daughter from behind his desk. She was being silly about this whole thing, in his mind.

Mr. T: It's only for one night, Milly. There'll be dancing and good food. You like both of those.

Milly: But everyone will be LOOKING at me!

Mr. T: It's already planned, Milly. You have no choice, unless you want to make us all look like fools! <his face softened> Besides, you'll dance with some nice young men, and Meryl will be there. <he hoped> Please, do it for your family. We're proud to show the city what a wonderful girl you are.

Milly swallowed hard. She couldn't stomach disgracing the family. And if it was for only one night...

Milly: Fine. I'll take Dominique along with me to the shops. I'm sure she can pick out something for me...she has better eye for fashion.

Mr. T: That's my girl! And see if you can arrange to go with Meryl too. You can both have an outing.

Milly smiled and left her father's office, but the smile quickly faded. Well, she might as well make the best of it. She called up Meryl and received an earful of a rant.

Meryl: I can't believe they're forcing me! Daddy said he'd take away all my shopping privileges for a month if I didn't, and I wouldn't get to continue with college...

Milly assured that they were in the same boat and Meryl agreed to go with her in the boutique area of downtown. Milly then called for Dominique, the housekeeper and confidante of the entire family, and asked if she'd also go with her on the errand. Dominique agreed and they took the Lexus into town.

The friends met up and started looking around. Milly wasn't particular, so when Dominique and Meryl picked out a nice green Chiffon gown on their second stop, she bought it. Meryl scoffed.

Meryl: Well, I've seen cute dresses too, but I want to compare. There're still three more good places to look.

Milly felt sick at the thought, so she excused herself. She told the other women that she'd wait in a nearby ice cream parlor and went down the street to the sweet shop. She ordered a sundae and sat in the window, looking at the people walk by. She wished she could more like them...working for their own keep, free to act as they wished...
 
 
The Bluesummers' mansion sat high on a hill overlooking New December. Legato lay out in his white Speedo on a lounge alongside the Olympic size swimming pool. A strawberry daiquiri was at hand, and the cabana boy walked up.

Boy: Would you like more suntan oil applied, Master Bluesummers?

Before Legato could respond, his overbearing father came outside.

Mr. Bluesummers: He's got enough on already! I think I've seen you do six coats since this morning, Eugene!

The boy walked away as Legato sat up, annoyed.

Legato: I'm going to burn without constant applications, Father.

Mr. Bluesummers: You'll turn into a poof if you let that kid rub you all day, Legato. I'm going to have to get you a female pool attendant.

Legato sputtered and protested.

Legato: Don't be ridiculous Father, and Eugene's parents have worked here for years!

Mr. Bluesu
mmers: Whatever. Listen, Legato, you have to go downtown and get something suitable to wear for the debutante ball. You know the Thompson and Stryfe girls are coming out. I'd like to see you settle down with someone like that. Good families.

Legato: Powerful families, is what you mean, Father.

Mr. Bluesummers: Nothing wrong with that, boy, nothing wrong with that. Anyway, get some clothes on and go find a nice tux, will you? Use your platinu
m Amex. I think your mother maxed out the others yesterday.
 
Legato sighed melodramatically. He had already argued his attendance at the ball several times and knew it was a lost cause. He stood up, dove into the pool, swam ten laps, then headed to his room to change. An hour later, he pulled his Porsche up to the New December Mall valet, tossed him fifty double dollars and the keys, and headed straight into the ice cream parlor. He would need something sweet to stomach this hideous shopping excursion.
 
Milly was halfway through her sundae when she saw a familiar face coming towards the shop, watching him pass the window and come in. Legato Bluesummers. She had attended prep school with him and knew him, but only slightly. Legato had always seemed spoiled to her--she supposed both she and Meryl were spoiled as well, but the Bluesummers were known for their extravagance. All the girls loved to follow him around; he seemed not to mind, but didn't seem thrilled, either. Though he had always been rather blasé. He was a bit of a mystery to her...she didn't dislike him, really, but something about his attitude sat wrong with her--and there were rumors about that he liked some kind of drug. She had only attended one Bluesummers function, Legatos' 16th birthday party. Still, it didn't hurt to greet an acquaintance. She waved after Legato ordered.

Milly: Hi, Legato. How are you? <she smiled ruefully> are you going to the ball, too?

Legato, banana split in hand, turned around at Milly's voice.
 
Legato: Hi…Milly.

Milly: I just got my dress for the ball. My dad's making me and Meryl go, so...

She shrugged. She supposed the ball wouldn't be horrible, but she'd still rather not go.
Legato sat down at her table, breeding and manners instinctive to his class. The girl had so many siblings it took him a few seconds to figure out which one she was. Then he remembered. She was the youngest, he thought. As an only child, Legato didn't have to compete for his parents' attention. Sometimes he got too much of it.

Legato: I have to go to the ball. I don't want to...<he sighed> But apparently it's time I got married. It's ridiculous. How can one's p
arents be so....unreasonable?

He began eating his banana split.
 
Leonof rolled into town and drove to the Thompsons. He got out of his car and knocked on the door. The Thompson butler, Brad, opened the door and found Leonof at the threshold. Leonof and Mr. Thompson had served together in the war a few years back. Brad's cool face didn't betray any surprise.

Brad: Mr. Leonof, sir, nice to meet you. Do you wish to see Mr. Thompson? He is a bit busy right now, but if you care to come in I can fit you up with some refreshments while I get him.
 
Leonof: Yes. I need to speak to Thompson immediately. It is of great importance. It's waited too long already.
 
Brad ushered Leonof in, gave him some stout liquor in the lounge, and hastened to the study where Mr. T was still working. He knocked.

Brad: Pardon, sir, but Leonof is here to see you. He says it's of great importance.

Mr. Thompson tried to compose himself. It had been a few years since he'd last seen his old comrade in arms. Leonof was volatile and he could not fathom what the man wanted. Still, best not to keep him waiting,

Mr. T: All right. I'll see him.

He strode to where Leonof was, reaching out to shake the man's hand.

Mr. T: Leonof, old dog, it's been a while. Brad says you have something to discuss with me.

He sat across from the man, folding his hands in his lap as he kept his posture straight, large form taking up his chair.

Mr. T: I'm all ears.
 
Leonof set down his glass and looked at his old friend.
 
Leonof: Well, see i was going through some things at my house. I found this note it seems to be quite old. It was unopened, undated. <he sighed> Well, to be honest, it was from your wife, claiming that I am the father of your youngest daughter Milly.
 
He pulled out the old yellowed letter and handed it to Mr. Thompson.
 

The man in black on the motorcycle roared down into the valley, glaring behind his sunglasses at the garish mansion on the hill. He'd take down those bastards if it was the last thing he did. The distribution of wealth in New December was a crime. And Wolfwood would see justice done. Roaring towards the downtown area, he took a drag on his smoke and smirked to himself. These people would get what was coming to them. The rich pigs, their spoiled brats, and their mansions on hills.
 
Nicholas D. Wolfwood was many things. Some might know him as a priest, securing the welfare of the New December Orphanage. For others, he was a covert hitman with the same purpose. Today, Wolfwood is an anarchist bent on overthrowing the status quo in December. He is a mystery man, and arrives in town with one agenda--to bring the Bluesummers, Thompson, and Stryfe families to their knees and redistribute the wealth among the poor.
 
 
Back at the ice cream shop, Milly nodded in sympathy, digging into her own sundae. She knew their families practically constituted a triumvirate of influence on the town, and they seemed to want to keep the status quo well into posterity. Her father hadn't really said anything about marriage and she hadn't really thought about it, but bearing Legato's words in mind, that did seem to be the tacit motive.

Milly: I know. I don't really want to go either, and Meryl's just dead set against the whole thing. But she's an only child too, so...

She trailed off. She was lucky, really, she had enough older siblings that she had managed to avoid petty family politics for once. Her eldest brother, already married, seemed poised to take over from her father when he retired. Maybe he just wanted all of them married for security's sake--her brother was a bit of a pennypincher and probably wouldn't share too many of the revenues with his siblings.
She mused on it. It was like the ball was just a big auction to help people matchmake. She looked at her companion. A decent enough guy, she thought, but she couldn't envision marrying either of them. The thought actually made her a bit ill. She finished up her sundae and pushed away.
 
Milly: Well, I better get going. I guess I'll see you both at the ball, then.

Legato: See you there, Milly.

Just then, however, Meryl and Dominique, the Thompson's housekeeper, entered the shop, loaded with bags. Meryl looked like the cat that caught the canary.
 
Meryl: All right, Milly we finished up earlier than we thought...

She paused, staring at Legato. Her lip curled imperceptibly. She had tried to ask Legato on a date once, but he had staunchly refused. It has really hurt her, actually--her crush had been deep. She didn't quite hate him, but her dislike still flared.
So many girls had constantly asked Legato out that he didn't really think anything of the fact that he'd hurt Meryl's feelings. He'd hurt lots of females' feelings. But he couldn't help that he was so incredibly good-looking, could he? And that he wasn't really interested in…women?

Meryl: Oh, so you're going, too? I should have expected it. Just don't try to spike the punch like you did the prom, Legato.
Legato snorted in derision.

Legato: Liquor is the choice of children and the indigent, Meryl. As I got older, my recreational chemicals advanced. I think Midvalley was the one that spiked the punch at the prom, if I remember correctly.
Milly and Dominique shared a glance, feeling the tension. Milly thought it best to make a retreat to the car and wait there.

Milly: Um, Meryl, I'll put my stuff in the car. Do you want me to take some of yours?

Meryl nodded and handed over a few more bags. Milly lifted them easily and looked at Dominique.

Dominique: I think I better stay here, Miss Milly, just in case Meryl gets a bit out of hand. You know how she can get.
Milly agreed and headed outside. Legato stood up as Milly left and took a closer look at the Stryfe girl. She seemed angry with him and he wasn't quite sure why. Maybe she needed to loosen up a bit. And he was craving some nose powder.

Legato: Want to help me pick out a tux? I'll share...

Figuring she would know what he meant, he waited. He had plenty of coke to go around, after all.
Meryl rolled her eyes. Perhaps there was a time when she would have agreed, despite old wounds. She had been fairly messed up as a young teenager. But she had gotten through that with counseling and rehab. Except for an occasional smoke of pot and some wine, she was clean.

Meryl: No, thank you. I'll leave your 'tux' to yourself. I'm all done here. It'd be nice if you didn't show drugged up at the ball for once.

She turned on her heel, but didn't make to leave just yet. She wanted some ice cream and would buy some to go, and some for Dominique as well.
Legato smirked. Meryl Stryfe was hardly one to talk. Hoppered had boasted about getting her trashed and taking her up to the overlook a few weeks back. However, Legato held his tongue on the matter.

Legato: I'll do my best not to disappoint you, Meryl.

Then, deliberately to annoy her, he took out his little vial, pinched some powder into his nose, sniffed, and sauntered out.
Meryl scoffed at Legato's retort and watched him waltz out like he didn't have a care in the world. She wondered if he had any brain cells left after all the drugs he took. Their ice cream came and Meryl handed a cone to Dominique as they walked out the door.

Meryl: At least I got a gorgeous dress for the ball. It's the perfect color.

Dominique nodded assent and they talked of what the best materials and colors were as they walked to the car.
 
 
Milly walked out of the ice cream parlor and back towards the Lexus. On the way, she felt a spell of light headedness. She started to sway a bit on her feet even she walked and had to stop to lean against a wall. She'd had a few dizzy spells as of late...but they usually cleared up after a few seconds. She didn't know why.
 
Wolfwood was driving past the mall and he saw the woman stagger and lean against the wall. In a flash, he'd jumped off his bike and rushed to her side, thinking perhaps she had a little too much to drink. But it was early in the day. As he reached her, he noticed the expensive shopping bags in her hand. Hmph. Probably just another rich bitch who had one too many Bloody Marys at brunch. Still, he had a strong chivalrous streak when it came to women. Touching her arm gently, eyes dark behind his sunglasses, Wolfwood tried to decide if she needed a doctor or just some time to sober up.

Wolfwood: Are you OK, miss? Looked like you almost fell down back there.
 
Meanwhile, the cobwebs in the girl's mind were quickly clearing. Milly flattened against the wall, startled, but the deep baritone was soothing. She looked into the face, sunglasses and all, of one of the most handsome men she'd ever seen. Beautifully scruffy black hair, a noble nose, and very stylish yet practical clothes. Her heart began to beat faster, but she swallowed and tried to answer.

Milly: Oh, yes...I'm fine, thank you. Just a little dizzy spell, but it's going away now. I'm just heading to the car, it's not far away. Thank you, though!

She gave him a beaming smile, mostly to cover up her embarrassment and awe. She thought this man was even more handsome than Legato. Well, if anything, she'd at least like to get his name.
And when the stranger smiled at him, Wolfwood reflexively smiled back. There was something about her--something innocent and fragile and strong and daring all mixed up. He stared into her eyes, which looked deep enough to drown in, and was glad his own were hidden behind dark lenses. Who was this girl? She obviously wasn't drunk. Maybe just hadn't eaten that day. Women could be so delicate...
Milly: I'm Milly! I'm just helping a friend with shopping. <she peered at him> Are you new here?
 
Ah, so the bags weren't hers. Wolfwood took in the young lady's clothes, realizing for someone dressed so practically it was unlikely she shopped at the stores emblazoned on the bags she carried. He was glad she wasn't one of the upper class. She looked too nice to be, anyhow. He reached out to take the bags from her.

Wolfwood: It's nice to meet you, Milly. Please let me help you carry them to the
car. Conserve your strength.

He offered her his arm to lean on, hoping she'd take it. He liked her, liked her a lot already, but he couldn't involve a nice girl like this in his life. He answered her question as vaguely as he good.

Wol
fwood: Just passing through.

Perhaps he would stay a few days, perhaps longer. However long it took to rid New December of their elite robber baron patriarchal society. Made him sick.
 
Yet at his words, Milly felt her stomach plummet with disappointment, but she tried to hide it. It was such a shame; if he'd said he was sticking around for a little while, she might have invited him to do something fun. She took his arm, letting him take a few sacks, but insisting on carrying at least one. She really did feel fine now, but she was compelled to seize the day. There was just something wild and noble about this stranger that really appealed. She wondered what his story was--it was hard to get a bead on him with his eyes hidden behind shades.
 
And when she leaned on his arm, Wolfwood couldn't help but feel a small thrill from his ears down to his toes. What was it about this girl? He shook it off, feeling like he would only get himself into trouble if he kept up this line of thought. Wolfwood considered himself lucky to have never had his heart broken, and he was too damn busy to think about women now. He was in New December on a mission, dammit.

Milly; Well, I hope you have a good time while you're here. This is a nice town...well, some parts, at least.

Looking out of the corner of his eye at Milly, Wolfwood silently agreed. Some parts, like the one walking at his side, were nice. The rest of the place was a monument to fiscal and humanitarian irresponsibility. Milly thought then about all those charity balls her family held. What really happened to that money they supposedly raised, anyway? She was not so blind as to not realize how privileged she was, and how poor some other people were in New December--but where did that money go? Maybe she'd ask. They reached the Lexus soon enough and Milly placed the sacks in the back seat, closing the door. She turned to Wolfwood and smiled again.
 
He smiled back, loading the car. She looked so happy. What made this woman smile at him like that, he wondered? He thought if there was such a thing as love as first sight, he was experiencing it now. It was making him stupid, weak, silly. His grin was entirely too wide, but he couldn't stop it. He simply liked looking at
this girl, smiling at her. What was the matter with him?

Milly: Thanks so much. I'll wait for my friends here. <she chewed the inside of her mouth and decided what the heck> And just out of curiosity, what's your name?

Wolfwood: I'm Nicholas D. Wolfwood. I'm sorry, should have introduced m
yself before, it was just....

Whatever he had been about to say or admit was cut off as Meryl and Dominique approached.
 
Mr. Thompson's eyes widened at Leonof's revelation. His wife had never told him of any children before they'd met. He hadn't even known she had ever been involved with Leonof...but he had married her once he'd left the army, so it had to have been before their marriage. He reached for a cigar, needing to calm himself. Either way, he had to talk about this with his wife. They had taken the baby from the orphanage, not really knowing what she'd eventually look like when grown, but it had been fortunate that she'd blended in well enough with the family.

Mr. T: I...see. I had no knowledge of that. Of course, you know, Milly is an orphan...but if Chrissie gave her up, then somehow she must have gotten her back...

He felt winded. When should he tell his wife and daughter? He pushed the thoughts aside. He had to focus on the now.

Mr.T: If this is true--we'll work it out then. But I think that a DNA test will be the only way to solve this. But I don't know if Chrissie or Milly will like the idea. We've raised Milly as our own, never even told her about her adoption.

He inhaled a lungful of smoke, trying to calm down.
 
Leonof: No need to tell Milly. She's your child. I just thought you might want to know.
 
Mr. T nodded at Leonof's words. The guy seemed to have just wanted to pass off information and displayed no interest in really meeting his daughter. He was glad; he didn't want to give her up.

Mr. T: Okay, thanks, Leonof. I suppose I'll keep it quiet for now, but if Milly ever does find out the truth, I'll mention you. I don't know how she'll take it, though, and I don't want to ruin a special night for her.

He reached over and shook Leonof's hand again.

Mr. T: You can stick around and have some more drinks if you want; Brad'll see to you. If that's all, though, I better get back to the grindstone.
 
 
Meryl and Dominque were still chatting when the Lexus came into view. They stared as they say Milly in conversation with a rugged looking young man. The maid was circumspect, but Meryl plunged ahead.

Meryl: Hey, Milly! What's up?
Ah, so here were the rich shoppers, Wolfwood thought cynically. Meryl was dressed in expensive threads and obviously had her maid with her. He regarded them both intently, his eyes condemning behind the shades. Milly turned and waved to them, then saw fit to wrap up Wolfwood's explanation/introduction.

Milly: Oh, we have to go now. Thanks so much for everything!

She was seized by a strange compulsion. Wolfwood said he was only passing through, she might not ever see him again, and no other person had inspired such immediate liking in her. She leaned forward and gave him a kiss on the cheek for his troubles before piling into the car with the other women, Dominique driving. Milly waved until they had left him out of sight. Then Meryl had to say her own piece.

Meryl: What was that about? You just kissed him on the cheek, Milly!

Milly explained the situation, editing out her own feelings, of course. She said that he deserved some appreciation for his aid.

Meryl: Whatever. Men like that are trouble, Milly. It was nice of him to help you, but I just don't know about the look of him...but I guess the debutante ball boys won't be much better. Not if Legato and Midvalley are there. God, they'll ruin it. At least I got a good dress out of it.
 
She elaborated on her findings and mused on every detail of her makeup and coiffure she'd choose. Milly only listened with half an ear, mind still distracted and hardly thinking of the ball
 
 
She had kissed him! Wolfwood had felt slack-jawed and stunned as the girl's soft lips touched his cheek. The gentle pressure felt like a brand on his skin and he stood helpless and dumbstruck, as the girls piled in the car and drove away. Milly waved at him out the window as they left, and he felt a crushing sadness. They could never be together, but that was the sort of woman a man could die for, Wolfwood thought, as he headed back to the Angelina. The stranger's name stayed on his lips and in his head as he walked.

Wolfwood: Milly.......
 
 
Legato walked into the mall and promptly stopped at the pretzel barn, getting a soft and salty treat to take into the stores with him. Three hours later, he'd purchased a new tuxedo. White, with a deep purple cummerbund and matching bow tie. It was exquisite, and set off his eyes quite nicely, he thought. It was rather an extravagant purchase, almost six thousand double dollars, but only the finest tailors would do. Alterations were done immediately and Legato felt exhilarated with his purchase and flush with pleasure at how good he looked in the thing. The valet brought around his car, and Legato settled in and sped out of the garage towards home.
 
 
After they dropped Meryl off at the Stryfe mansion, Dominique drove the Lexus back towards home. Milly was quietly staring out the window. Her thoughts kept on going back to the young man in black. She wished she could have seen his eyes, and she still could hardly believe she'd kissed him on the cheek! Her own cheeks were flushed and a little smile curled her lips. Dominique, even with one eye damaged from an early childhood accident, could see it. She felt concern for her employer's daughter. They'd known each other for years.

Dominique: You'
re awfully quiet, Miss Milly.

Milly, startled, faced Dominique with a bubbly smile.

Milly: Oh, just thinkin
g about things.

Dominique shook her head, pulling up to the gated enclosure, waiting for the iron gates to swing open for them.

Dominique: You should be careful. Don't try to put men like that in your mind. He seemed nice, but he's not of your kind. You know that you can't...I mean, kissing him on the cheek was almost crossing the line! Besides, he said he was just passing through. You'd best forget him and focus on what you have.

Milly: Yeah, I know. Please don't tell Daddy about it. And you're right, I'll probably never see him again. <she made a face> Of course, I doubt any prospects at the ball tomorrow will be any better, if Legato and Midvall
ey are the best of the bunch.

Dominique chuckled and agreed, and they pulled into the garage. Milly took her bag, intending to go place it in her room, and she was met by one of her older sisters, Carrie.

Carrie: So, back already? And with only one bag? It'd better be a doozy for the ball
, or Mom and Dad'll be angry.

She reached for Milly's bag and pulled out the green dress and its little accessories, eyeing them.

Carrie: Well, the color suits you, and there's something to be said about simplicity. I guess it'll pass inspection. Is it fitted?
 
Milly: Sort of. I tried it on and it looked all right, but Dominique says she come up and tailor it better to me later. Oh, and where's Daddy?

Carrie murmured that he was visiting with a friend and handed the dress back. Milly hurried to her bedroom and hung up the dress so that it'd be handy when Dominique was ready. Now she felt listless. She flopped onto her bed, belly first, and laid her chin on her hands. She let her thoughts wander to Nicholas D. Wolfwood, and she smiled as she whispered his name. What a lovely name! She managed to daydream the hours away until she was called down to supper.
 
 
Meanwhile, when Meryl arrived, she promptly gave her purchases to the butler to place in her room as she ate a quick snack, Then she'd take one of the horses out for a ride. As she passed her own father's room, she stopped suddenly. She heard her father's low voice murmuring.

Mr. S: ...there. If not, I'll have my legal and financial consultants look into the possibility of a partnership with
Thompson and a buyout. Of course, he'd be crazy to pass my Meryl up...

Meryl forced herself to keep on moving, lest any of the servants catch her. She felt stunned. Whatever her father was planning, she didn't like it. She wouldn't be bartered like a piece of meat! The ball had been a bad idea to begin with. Well, she'd show them!

Indignation cooling, Meryl couldn't help but remember her last real flame. Millions Knives. She hadn't seen him in two years; he'd broken her heart, too, and she'd sworn to wash herself of him, but she couldn't help but think back fondly on them. They had had such good times...but he'd left her without a word, and now nobody really knew where he was. She supposed she could ask his brother, who was still around, but he seemed clueless as she and she didn't like him all that much.

Agitated again, Meryl changed into her riding clothes and went out to the stables.
 
 
Wolfwood rode his bike to the seedier part of town, stopping at Rai Dei's Sushi Shack. His old friend was inside, and happy to see him.

The samurai was dressed as usual, in his ceremonial robes, and the amount of stubble on his chin made Wolfwood feel better about not having shaved that morning. After exchanging some small talk, they got down to business, a carafe of sake between them.

Rai Dei: Tomorrow night is the debutante ball.
Rumor has it that everyone who's anyone in town is going to be there. It'll be the perfect time to hit the factories and office buildings. No one will be inside. I'll coordinate the bombings as the ball is happening. Word is that the families, who all intermarry, will have their children there. We'll have three operatives inside. You <he pushed a gilded and embossed invitation across the table that Wolfwood thought with disgust probably cost more than could feed ten children in a week>, Caine, and one other. Whose identity is a secret to protect you all. Once at the ball, you each will be cosying up to a member of the three "royal" famlies of New December. When the time is right, before the bombings, you will leave with them. Caine is in charge of kidnapping the Bluesummers kid. You're in charge of the Thompsons. And our other operative will handle the Stryfes. Everything clear?

Wolfwood: Crystal.

Rai Dei: You got a suit or something to wear?

Wolfwood: What the hell is t
his?! <indicating his outfit>

Sighing, Rai Dei shook his head and tossed over a business card.

Rai Dei: Go rent a tux, man. You have to keep cover until the time is right.

Wolfwood: And if they don't agree to liberate their workers and give six hundred thousand billion double dollars as ransom?

Rai Dei: Then we kill their kids.
 
Wolfwood stood up and nodded briskly, then headed for the door.
 
 
Legato stopped at the XXX movie theatre on the way home, then at his supplier's house, and finally drove the Porsche into the twelve-car garage at home. He was called for supper and for once went down without a scowl on his face. It had been a good day, at least that tux would make him the envy of every stupid person tomorrow.
 
 
At Milly's house, dinner was a pleasant enough affair. Her father talked about a surprise visit from his old war friend Leonof (though for some reason he gave her a strange look, Milly thought) and each of her siblings and in-laws boasted about their day's successes. Many of them worked for Mr. T's companies as the Vice Presidents or co-CEO with him. Milly had no real interest in business or finance or law or becoming a doctor. Her father had promised her the pudding factory he owned, but even then she really just wanted to sample the goods, not actually run it. But if she HAD to, then she'd make sure everything was in tip top shape, both in efficiency but also in seeing the workers got a fair shake and good benefits. Or maybe she could open up her own pudding line...or maybe just somehow manage to make it in a white or blue collar job. Milly was not really interested in one certain thing at this point, but she did have enough clerical skills from helping her father and she was strong enough that she could help the groundskeepers maintain the land.

Then the talk turned to the debutante ball. All of the family, despite having gone through the thing many times before, were planning to attend. They were making such a big deal out of it that Milly was getting more nervous. She liked a good party, but this was just so extravagant, since the Bluesummers and Stryfes were pitching in as well. It was overwhelming, really.

Milly: Say, Daddy, before the ball, can I take the car
out again, without Dominique?

Her father stared at her from the head of the table, a piece of steak tartar halfway to his lips. He set it down, looking baffled and stern.

Mr. T: Why, dear? The party starts at seven. You'll need a few hours before then to prepare. Did you forget something?

Milly: I know, I know, Daddy. I'll go in the mor
ning. <and it did strike her> And yes, I did forget something. I forgot a bouquet and corsage.

He rolled his eyes at her absentmindedness and agreed to let her do it. Milly was thrilled. It would help her clear her mind if she went to town tomorrow and busied herself there, plus she wanted to restock her pudding stash and eat the sushi place she liked. It'd be nice to have some relaxation time before worrying about the ball.
 
 
After her riding, Meryl caught a quick supper before retiring to bed--her bedtime ritual was pretty elaborate, using facial creams and such, and it took about an hour to get through. She might not like having to go to the ball, but if she had to be a piece of meat, she might as well look her best.
 
 
That night, Wolfwood slept poorly. His thoughts were jumbled about the mission before him, and Milly's face kept appearing in his mind. Her soft voice, and the kiss she'd given him...He wondered how a girl like her had gotten mixed up with a rich friend like that short girl she'd been with. He supposed it spoke well of the other girl, to have not allowed class to affect her friendships. Still...that car they'd been driving had been over the top.

Finally he slept, dreaming about Milly, his hand pressed to his cheek.
 
 
Next time….the Masquerade Ball!