Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Hunting Two ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

---
Enemy
 
---
Six occupants sat around the brightly lit room pondering the news.
“The Plants are being killed, Vash,” the Doctor told them, “That's why I'd wanted you to come to Seed City, so I could tell you.”
No one spoke. Jessica sobbed quietly into Meryl's shoulder. The Doctor didn't want to tell her this, but after what she saw she deserved an explanation, all of Seed City did. He left to tell the rest of the city what was happening. He didn't tell them how he knew, they needed time to swallow this first then they can know everything else.
Meryl said nothing. Her mind wasn't with her. It was still back at the explosion. The picture of the dead Plant and people just wouldn't escape her thoughts. The scene was all too familiar. She stole a glimpse at the famous Typhoon. His face was a canvas and his eyes were cast down. Meryl sighed and closed her own. Why do things like this always happen to Vash the Stampede? He'd just come back home he'd been dreaming about and they…
Knives concentrated on the pain in his hand, the sting of the antiseptic and the pull of the cloth. He had walked up to the Plant and kneeled down beside it. He tried so desperately to reach it even though he knew nothing would answer back. Anger bubbled violently at his throat. Ungrateful parasites! Humans! Those disgusting good for- He stopped, to his great surprise he stopped. He didn't want to believe himself; he wouldn't allow himself to go on thinking what he was. As much as Knives hated to admit it, the Plants needed the humans as much as the humans needed the Plants. They can't survive out in the open and the people can't survive without power. They needed each other and the humans would only be killing themselves if they destroyed the Plants. However, Knives was still outraged; whoever did this would pay, dearly. He looked down at the Plant, studying it. A shard of glass stuck up from its arm, a river of shimmer flowing from the wound. Knives pulled it out effortlessly. A thin layer of blood dripped to the ground. He stared at it then crushed it absent mindedly in his hand. He didn't say a word to anyone after that, not even Vash. He was afraid of opening his mouth before he was absolutely sure he wouldn't do anything irrational.
He felt the cloth loosen for the hundredth time, tighten again, then loosen. Milly Her mind was a jumble. Her thoughts were starting to give him a headache, but he said nothing. If it had been anyone else, he would have probably pulled off their head. He'd somewhat come to understand her uniqueness. She was the only human he can stand talking to. She acted stupid, yes, but she really was perceptive. Knives cleared his thoughts, he didn't want to think. He was getting the same spine tingling feeling he's been getting for a while and he didn't want to deal with it now. He sat in the room and continued to glance off into the distance silently as if he didn't exist.
Vash was quiet as well, but when he saw the dead Plant every dreadful feeling he'd had came crashing back. He tried so had to convince himself that the horrific sight was just a dream. He prayed that it was his conscience was playing a cruel joke on him. Yet, the screaming was too real, the cries were all too real, the blood, the DEATH…real. Vash fell to his knees forgotten tears flowing down his cheeks. Dead, the Plant was dead. His friends were dead. They were all dead. This was supposed to end a long time ago. He'd had been fighting against his own brother for peace for over a century and for three sweet years he actually had it. He felt it around him everyday. Vash was so close to his Rem's Eden. Now it was gone again, snatched away just like she was. Who would do this? Who could be so evil? Knives had nothing to do with it, Vash had no doubt. His brother might not be perfect but he was a different person, he wasn't a killer anymore. He looked over at Knives, staring blankly off into space. He shut off all entry to his mind, so Vash couldn't even feel what he was thinking and he didn't want to force him. Milly was dressing his wounds, she was the only human he'd ever let touch his wounds. She tied the cloth over his hand, untied it, readjusted the cloth, wound it, tied it and untied it again. He couldn't imagine what was going on through her mind, he didn't bother guessing either. She was a strong girl, stronger than anyone he knew. Vash thoughts shifted to the youngest person in the room. Every time he's near her someone close to her dies. First Brad, now her friends and she deserved none of it. Jessica was crying onto Meryl's shoulder, it hurt to see her cry. He remembered her smiling everyday when she was younger, now all he saw in her eyes were tears. He wanted to make it stop, make everything peaceful, but that dream seemed impossible to reach. Vash looked at the raven haired woman whose arm cupped Jessica's shoulders. He'd seen that look on her face before, the mask. She was trying to be strong when inside she hurt. It pained Vash to see her do that, he knew she didn't like to let her feelings out. He wanted to go to her, put his arms around her, kiss her… but he sat still. Too much could be at stake, she could be in danger; all of them could be in danger. He might never have a chance to tell her how he had come to feel, but she would be alive.
Milly liked to work when something bad happened so she wouldn't have time to think about them. She was relieved when she had to clean and dress Mr. Knives' wound. She concentrated harder than she had to, to find all the pieces that made their way into his skin. The blood on the glass pieces didn't help her situation. It reminded her of the people laying on the ground, children crying at their parent's bodies. They were so small and they had to see their parents die. She wished so desperately she could give them a cup of pudding; it always makes people feel good. She sighed softly, how she wanted a cup for herself. Milly apologized like mad whenever she'd yank a shard. Not surprisingly, Mr. Knives didn't acknowledge her. She new what he was trying to do, he was trying to contain his anger. He used to do that a lot when he was healing from his fight with Mr. Vash. Mr. Vash… She knew he was probably blaming himself for what happened, because that's what he did, he always blamed himself. Still, she didn't have the strength to say anything, she kept quiet. Once she had the pieces out, she cleaned the wound and tied it with a cloth. No matter how many times she tied the cloth, it just wouldn't look right, so she'd unwind and wind it again and again. At least it kept her mind busy.
The door suddenly burst open. A young man with blonde hair stood panting. He scanned the room frantically, sweat dripping form his face. When he spotted Jessica he ran to her,
“Jessica!”
Jessica stood up at the sound of her name. She threw her arms around him and hugged him tightly.
“I came as soon as I heard the explosion,” he said, hugging her back, “Are you okay?”
“Yes. But the plant…” she cried into his shoulder.
“Eric,” the Doctor said walking behind him, “I think you should take Jessica home.”
Without any objection the blonde man lead her away. The Doctor entered the room and shut the door behind him. He waited a while for someone to say something, but no one spoke. They were all lost in their own worlds. Sighing, he finally said,
“I think we've had enough for today. It would probably be best if we--”
“No, Doc,” Vash said, “You have to tell us everything you know.”
His voice sounded so lifeless it hurt the old man. For so long he hoped to see him happy and for a few minutes he actually had. He knew before that telling him why he wanted called him to Seed City would hurt him and the thought killed him, but now it was only going to get worse. He let out a deep breath and made his way to a chair.
“It started about a month ago,” he began, “A plant was destroyed in April City. The city thought it was a malfunction in the system. Many people were killed and so was the plant. The authorities looked into it but found nothing that could've gone wrong, technically at least. A week before however, all their plants started acting strange. The power to the city would keep fluctuating. For almost a day there was no power. At night they would hear singing coming form the plants. Then the first plant exploded and in two more weeks the second one was destroyed. They knew it wasn't a malfunction this time because they found a calling card.”
Vash looked up, calling card?
“The Jack of Hearts.”
“The Jack of Hearts?” said Meryl, “You mean from a deck of cards?”
“Yes,” the Doctor said, relieved that someone spoke. The silence was unbearable. “But, there's more,” the Doctor continued, “On the back of the card, there was a message: Roses are red, violets are blue; run, because I'm coming after you.
Silence clouded the room once again, but the Doctor's story caught everyone's attention, even Knives'. Vash was especially attentive. He had seen this calling before, a long, long time ago. But, it can't be possible, he would never… he couldn't, how could he? He's… or should be…
“Wait,” Meryl suddenly spoke up, “I've heard of the Jack of Hearts.”
She put her head down, searching her memory, “He was a thief about fifty years ago. He was almost as big as Vash, but he never killed anyone, he only stole. It can't be him, can it?”
No one answered her. Finally Vash said quietly,
“No, the Jack of Hearts is dead,” his voice dropped, “I saw him die.”
Vash took out his orange sunglasses from his pocket. Meryl's heart sank when he slipped them on. She thought she saw the last of them and his heartache, but it was never that simple. She did nothing as Vash got up and walked to the door. She sat quietly as he opened it and walked out, hating herself for her weakness. Her eyes stung with tears as she watched him disappear into the deserted hallway. Why was it always like this?
-
It was supposed to be a great day. He wanted to catch up with old friends. He wanted to walk around town and see what they've accomplished. He wanted to have a few drinks with his brother and the girls. He wanted to know what this surprise was Jessica had for him. He wanted… He wanted to fell like he was home. Was that too much to ask? He knew the last three years were too good to be true. A life that serine and painless was not destined for him. Vash looked at the floor through the orange tinted glasses, he sometimes wondered if it would've been better if Rem hadn't saved him and his brother. He quickly shook his head of his thoughts.
Two days passed since the plant was killed. Everyone was uneasy in the city. The streets were abandoned most of the time, even children refused to come out and play. But no one was blaming Vash or his brother. The plant that was still alive had a hard time keeping the city running, but it quickly eased into supporting the city. Vash made sure to check on it at least three times a day and make sure it was alright.
Vash sat on the chair in the guest house, his focus on what he had heard from the Doctor. The Jack of Hearts. Vash knew the Jack of Hearts; he was a friend of his. He knew for a fact that it wasn't the man he befriended all those years ago. He'd seen him die with his own eyes. And if it was Jack, he would never kill anyone. Vash sighed and closed his eyes remembering the first time he met Jack in the city of April.
Vash had been in a bar, dragging out the last sip of his drink. The door jingled announcing the entrance of three men and their mean heavy bodyguards. The music stopped and the entire bar fell silent. It was the kind of scene Vash expected to read in a cheap cowboy novel. They came up to the bar counter, right behind him. He could feel the drunken power of the three men reek. One of them, a big man with an expensive coat, motioned to a tall muscular man. Quickly he stepped up, grabbed a hand full of Vash's coat and threw him aside, leaving no time for Vash to finish the last drop in his glass. The three men laughed like it was the joke of the century, their mouths wide open and their middles bouncing.
“That wasn't very nice, mister.” said Vash picking himself up.
The three men stopped laughing simultaneously; they looked at him as if it was an insult to having him talk to them. One of the bodyguards' growled and stepped between the three men and Vash.
“What did you say?”
“I said that wasn't very nice.”
The man narrowed his eyes. He grabbed the front of Vash's collar and yanked it to his face.
“Do you know who you're talking to?”
“No sir, and I really don't care,” Vash said evenly, “But that was still rude. A simple `excuse me' would've done. I think they really need to learn some manners.”
“You sonova--”
The bodyguard pulled out a gun from his side aimed it at Vash. The rest, like obedient dogs, did the same. The women in the bar screamed and tried to find the quickest way out. Some of the men followed them but others stayed to watch the show. Vash put up his hands immediately,
“Now, there's no need to start a fight, now is there?”
“Begging for your life, are ya punk?” the guard snarled “Well too late for tha--”
His gun was out of his hands and on the other side of the counter before he finished his sentence. The man stared blankly at his empty hand. He looked up just as Vash brought his gun around to the side of his head. Before the others had time to pull their triggers, Vash shot all of their guns out of their hands. He two of the bodyguards in the shin and elbowed the last one in the stomach. They went down like a house of cards. The three men stood still gawking at their unconscious bodyguards on the floor. Vash stepped up towering a good three feet over them, his face wiped clean. Almost instantly, they coward at his gaze,
“We apologize,” one said clearing his throat nervously, “our men were just doing their job.”
“What can we do to show our deepest regret for the way they behaved?” another one squeaked, trembling. Vash was waiting to see the last strings of hair fall out. He slammed his and on the bar counter, making them jump. He dragged his hand to the edge and shoved it in the balding one's face.
“Just pay the bill,” he said wiggling a piece of paper.
The man took the paper form his hand, shaking and sweating. Vash flashed a toothy smile throwing the three men off guard and walked out of the bar.
 
“That was quite a shot there,” Vash said to the boy walking in front of him, “I didn't even see you pull out your gun. Thanks.”
The boy stopped and turned around. It was him who shot the big bodyguard. Vash was thankful; it could've gotten a lot bloodier than it had to if it weren't for him. His shot was impressive; people his age usually don't shoot that accurately at such a distance.
“No need to thank me, I didn't do it to help you,” he said, “That's my uncle's bar. He has enough trouble with it, the last thing he needs is people shooting up the place.”
His hair and his eyes matched his light brown skin. He wore a sandy colored shirt and a brown hat. Most people would've guessed him to be about twenty-five, twenty-six, but he was younger than he looked, maybe seventeen or eighteen. The only reason Vash came to that conclusion was because a few days before he saw him with his friends who looked their age. What twenty-five year old hang around bunch of seventeen year olds?
“Thanks anyway,” Vash said.
“Is that all?” the boy asked irritated.
“Yeah.”
The boy turned around and walked away just as a gun shot echoed through the town…
-
A gust of wind whipped into the room bringing Vash back to reality. He looked up as his chair almost tipped over. A petite figure fought her way inside, her feet barely staying on the ground. She pushed hard against the door to shut it, but her strength was nothing compared to the storm. Vash rushed over and even with his strength, it took a while for it to shut.
“Where did that sand storm come from?” Meryl asked, clearing the sand out of her clothes, “I was just at the store and out of nowhere…what's wrong Vash?”
“Nothing, I'm fine.” Vash said blinking furiously and wiping tears from his eyes.
“Don't lie to me Vash, tell me what's wrong.”
Vash was taken aback at the seriousness of her voice. He looked through the water in his eyes at her. She was frowning, but he could see the worry in her eyes, it made his stomach flip.
“It's nothing, Meryl. It's just sand in my eyes,” Vash said rubbing his eyes.
A second later he felt a sharp pain at the side of his arm.
“Well then don't rub it needle brain!”
“But I want it out!”
Meryl growled in irritation and ordered him to sit down.
“Hold still,” she said, “and don't close your eyes so tightly.”
He loosened his eyes a little bit. Meryl used her thumb and forefinger to open Vash's eye as wide as possible,
“My mother used to do this when I was younger, so hopefully I do this right.”
She blew gently but swiftly into his eye. Vash flinched and Meryl let go. He blinked several times and opened one eye.
“It's gone.”
“Good. Now, the other eye.”
Meryl opened his other eye and blew gently again and let go. He blinked and opened his eye.
“Wow Meryl, thanks. Didn't know you had nurturing in you.”
Meryl said nothing. She stared at him sternly, frowning. Sighing, she picked up her coat.
“Next time, tell if something is wrong,” she said quietly.
Vash stood rooted to the ground, confused. She sounded hurt. He watched her dust her coat of sand that wasn't there anymore. Her face was hidden behind her hair, making it hard for Vash to see what exactly she meant.
“Meryl…” Vash began taking a step towards her, “what…”
“Mr. Vash,” Milly's candy voice called as she stepped through the hallway door, “Mr. Knives wants… Sempai! You're here! Good. Mr. Knives wants to see you and Mr. Vash.”
“See us? Why?” Meryl asked, dropping her coat on the couch.
Her face was wiped clean when she turned around, almost as if she never said anything. Vash cursed himself inwardly; he was rubbing off on her too much.
“I'm not sure exactly. We were talking about going to April City and then he told me to come get Mr. Vash and you.”
“Going to April City?” asked Vash astonished.
He thought about going to April himself, but he didn't know how to tell or ask his brother and the girls.
“Are you coming, Vash?” Meryl asked impatiently.
Vash nodded and followed her and Milly into he hall.
-
Knives couldn't sit around and do nothing anymore. Plant were dying everywhere… his family was dying and it had to stop. Nothing was getting accomplished around here, people barely stepped outside. April was the best place to start. Hopefully they find some clues to the bastard who's doing this. Knives smiled imagining ripping off the face of monster responsible for these deaths. Vash already was thinking about going, Meryl and Milly wouldn't object. He wasn't sure if he wanted the girls to go. A blind man could see that whoever this was, he was after him and his brother and he wasn't afraid to kill innocents to get to them.
“No,” Knives decided to himself.
Knives was sitting in the Doctor's office waiting for his brother and Meryl. He explained to the Doctor his plans and immediately the old man went off to arrange their transportation to April City. Knives sighed, it mad him sick how well they treated him. Not one disgusted look, not one whisper behind his back, nothing. He was starting to suspect something. Knives hated to think that, but after all that he'd done to them, there was no possible way that they would show so much respect and kindness.
Vash said that this was their ship, their home, their family, but Knives killed one of them! It was ridicules! How could they—the door opened. Knives looked up. It was that boy, Eric. He looked at Knives and frowned.
“Is it true?” he asked walking into the room.
“What?”
“You're going to April City?”
“Yes.”
“When are you leaving?”
“As soon as possible.”
The boy sighed and sat down in a chair across Knives. There was something on his mind that was bothering him. Knives sat back and gave him time to tell him what it was. Finally, he spoke up,
“Look, I know you won't let me go with you,” he stated clearly, “but at least let me help you with something. I'm sick of feeling useless.”
Knives studied the boy for a moment. His proposal was genuine, but he was just a boy. Knives could see his eagerness to help, but he knew it was too dangerous.
“You're right I won't let you go. Just stay here and plan your wedding with Jessica.”
Eric looked at him in surprise, “Jessica told you?”
“No, but I saw you two together yesterday and Jessica said she had a surprise for Vash. It was obvious.”
“Don't tell Vash, Jessica was…”
“Mr. Knives!” Milly chirped, “I brought Mr. Vash and Sempai too… oh, hi Eric,”
“Hi, Miss Thompson. Um… well, goodbye.”
He gave Knives one last look and left.
“April City, Knives?” Vash asked his brother.
“Well, it's no use sitting here,” Knives replied, “and I know you've been thinking about it.”
“I agree with Knives, we have to start somewhere,” Meryl said.
We aren't going anywhere, it's too dangerous,” Knives said sternly.
“What the hell does that mean?” Meryl cried.
“Knives is right, Meryl. It is too dangerous for you,”
Meryl glared at Vash, “Don't tell me what's too dangerous for me Vash, I can decide for myself.”
“I know you can, but I don't want the two of you hurt.”
“We can take care of ourselves, Mr. Typhoon, we're big girls.” Meryl snapped.
“Besides, we have a job to do,” Milly piped in, “We don't do our job, we don't get paid, then you'll really be stuck with us.”
Vash and his brother sighed; they don't know why they bothered anymore.
“Thank you,” Vash said finally.
No matter how bad the situation was, Milly and Meryl were always with him and he couldn't be more grateful.
“It's our job Vash, we have to follow you to the ends of the earth.” Meryl smiled.
Vash looked at the petite woman, getting that tingling feeling in his stomach. He smiled back at her softly. You two make me sick Knives groaned mentally to his brother and shook his head. Vash blushed lightly and looked away.
“Yay! April City!” Milly jumped, “I heard that they have the prettiest sunsets there and the weather is always perfect!”
“This isn't a vacation, Milly. We're going there to investigate.” Meryl said, “I should probably write a letter to Bernadelli before we go.”
“Yes, Ma'am!” Milly saluted and accompanied Meryl to their room.
-
“Be careful all of you and come back safe,” the Doctor said shaking Vash's hand.
“We will.”
Vash let go of the Doctor's hand only to have Jessica dive into his chest crying.
“I wish you didn't have to go,” she choked, “but I know you do. Just be careful, okay?”
“I will Jessica, besides you still have a surprise for me remember?” Vash said, hugging her tightly.
“It'll be waiting until you get back.”
Eric walked up to Knives and held out his hand,
“Good luck, Mr. Knives.”
Knives took his hand firmly,
“Good luck to you too.”
Eric leaned in towards Knives and whispered, “If there's anything I…”
“I'll come to you first.”
Surprised at his response, Eric smiled hesitantly and let go of his hand.
“Well, good bye,” Vash said getting into the black jeep, “see you soon.”
Knives started the small vehicle and began to drive away. Vash waved to his family until the small specks disappeared into the horizon.