Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Life Thereafter ❯ Musings ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: How I wish I owned Trigun. Sadly, I own it not.
 
A/N: Well, after some VERY positive feedback, I decided to continue this fic. I know, I know! It's been a month since I posted it, but I've been busy with my crossover. This chapter is VERY short compared to the other one. I think most of the chapters will be this length. But, I hope you like it anyway.
 
 
Musings
 
Meryl Stryfe inhaled the aroma of her freshly made soup. It was a family recipe, supposedly good for healing. It was simple to make, and Meryl liked to cook it. It always seemed to last a long time.
As she stirred it absentmindedly, Meryl's mind began to drift. It had been three days since Vash had returned. Upon forcing him into the house, Meryl had insisted upon looking at his wounds. There were several from bullets, but they were easily dealt with. He had tried to bandage them himself, of course, but he had done a very sloppy job. Meryl had reprimanded him, all the time wondering how he could not know how to properly wrap his bandages after living for over a century. When Meryl had asked, Vash merely mumbled something about being worried about more important things.
Meryl sighed. Yes, Vash's definition of “more important things” was his older twin Knives. Millie had set Knives in what had been Vash's room. After that, Meryl told Vash to get some rest. Vash wouldn't hear of it, however. He refused to get some sleep until Knives's bandages were changed.
Meryl had helped Vash bandage his brother's prone form. The interesting thing was that, as sloppy as Vash's own bandages had been, Knives's were impeccable. Yet, Meryl still wondered if they would all be better off with putting a bullet straight through Knives's head. After all, he had earned it. But, Meryl knew Vash would be devastated if he lost the only family he had, so she would just have to respect his wishes.
Since that day, Vash had been fast asleep on the couch. Meryl supposed that it was only natural, considering what he had been through. Being able to relax was a luxury Vash didn't often have.
Of course, Meryl thought darkly, once Knives wakes up, none of us will be able to relax.
“Ouch!”
Meryl yanked her hand away from the pot, which she had accidentally touched. She sucked on her burnt finger for a moment before stirring a little more. Then, she cautiously sipped it.
Meryl smiled. Perfect...
As she removed the pot from the stove carefully, she heard a muffled noise from the living room. After setting the soup down, she brushed her hands on her apron and left the kitchen.
As she entered, Meryl smiled to see her friend Millie's beaming face at the door. Millie had been working a lot with the townspeople digging the well. Now though, she had to carry the load of paying the bills mostly by herself since Meryl had to stay behind and look after Vash and Knives.
Meryl's smile faltered somewhat as she opened the door. It was true that Millie seemed to be handling the loss of Wolfwood rather well on the outside, but Meryl knew she still cried at night. Sometimes, she could here Millie's muffled sobs from her room when Meryl was about to go to bed.
Meryl fixed her smile back in place. “How was work today, Millie?”
Millie smiled. “Really good, Sempai! It turns out that the water underneath the town will last a long time!”
“That's great, Millie!”
“Uh huh! How was your day, Sempai?”
“Well, it was a bit dull, actually.”
Millie blinked. “Hasn't Mr. Vash woken up yet?”
Meryl sighed. “No. He's still lying on the couch, sleeping like he hasn't got a care in the world!” Without realizing it, her voice had become rather irate.
Millie patted her friend on the shoulder. “Oh, Sempai, don't let it get to you! I'm sure Mr. Vash will be really happy to see you once he wakes up.”
“Millie, what makes you think that's what I was thinking about?” Meryl asked, turning a slight shade of pink.
“Oh, nothing! Say, is that your special soup I smell?”
“Yes, I made some for you,” Meryl said, a little puzzled by the sudden subject change.
“Yay! Do you mind if I have some?”
Meryl chuckled. “Millie, I made it for you. You work so hard, and it's only fair that I at least cook some food for you.”
“Thanks, Sempai! I'll go help myself.”
Meryl shook her head with amusement as her friend went to get some soup. One thing was certain, Millie certainly tried to look on the bright side of things. Meryl knew how lucky she was to have a friend like Millie.
A small sound broke Meryl's reverie. As she glanced over at the couch, she saw him: Vash the Stampede. Dressed in a simple white shirt and black pants, he was snoring softly. His prosthetic arm rested lightly on his stomach while his other dangled over the side of the couch. His golden blonde hair, usually spiked, had fallen rather limply over his face.
Meryl smiled wistfully. She wandered over to his side, drew up a chair quietly, and sat down, staring at the rise and fall of his chest.
He looked so...peaceful. There was no other word to describe it. Maybe it was because no one was chasing him anymore. Maybe it was because his brother Knives had been found and Vash was now in a position to help him. Or, maybe, it was because he was here. With Meryl...
AND Millie, she corrected herself silently. I'm not the only one here.
But you're the one who's been taking care of him, aren't you? another part of herself argued.
Millie helps...
Oh, stop it! You know you're the one who's always been there for him!
But I've only known him for a few years...
So? That doesn't change the fact that you care about him, does it?
N-no, but...
No but's! Admit it! You care!
But what if he...
What if he doesn't feel the same? What kind of question is THAT? Of course, he cares about you!
How doYOU know he does?
And how do YOU know he doesn't?
Well, that was the problem, wasn't it? Meryl had had many conversations like this with herself, always ending the same way: Meryl didn't know whether Vash had feelings for her or not, and she didn't want to ask. If she did ask, she might drive him away and destroy the friendly relationship they already had. Meryl wasn't willing to risk it. And or course, there was still the matter of what had happened back at L.R...
How could she possibly EVER explain to THAT to him. It was true that the circumstances now were different from the first time he asked, but she still couldn't bring herself to tell him. In fact, Meryl hadn't told anyone, not even Millie, about it. And when Vash had asked her the second time three days ago, she STILL couldn't answer him.
“Rem...”
Meryl blinked. Vash was mumbling that woman's name again. He had loved her. He still loved her. Meryl knew that. So, how could she hope to compare with someone Vash had clung to for over a century?
Vash shifted positions a little, causing a few strands of hair to stray across his face. Meryl gently brushed them away. The strands were soft and silky, making her wonder how his hair stayed like that.
It must be because he's a plant.
She lifted her small, delicate fingers away...
...only to have her hand caught in another.
Meryl blinked. Vash's eyes flickered open, and aqua met violet, his hand warm and soft.
They stayed like that for what seemed like an eternity. Then...
SMACK!
“Ow! What was that for?” Vash whined, rubbing the red handprint on his face.
Meryl was blushing furiously. “You startled me! Don't do that!”
Vash gaped at her. “What'd I do?”
Meryl made several incoherent, angry noises before marching out of the room, leaving Vash staring after her, quite confused and completely nonplussed.
Why does he make me react like that? He wasn't doing anything wrong, but I smacked him. I actually enjoyed that, so why...?
 
 
Yeah, yeah, it's short. But, I think most chapters will be this length. I'll try to post more often to make up for it. I should warn you, though, I have no idea where this is going.