Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Life Thereafter ❯ Strength to Hope ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: How I wish I owned Trigun. Sadly, I own it not.
 
A/N: Three chapters in one week? I'm so nice to you guys. Anyways, read, enjoy, and review!
 
 
Strength to Hope
 
Meryl's mind raced as both she and Vash ran up the steps to Knives's room, leaving Kuroneko behind. Her mind was almost numb at what had just occurred. Vash had thought she had a boyfriend? Had he completely lost it? She was far too work-oriented to have such attachments. But, his reaction to that leap in logic (if one could call it that) was so utterly bizarre.
There was no other way to describe it. Sure, he had said that he had come back for Meryl (although she herself still didn't believe that was the case), but to actually look read to kill someone because they were her boyfriend... That was insane. Meryl's mind was still whirling.
I can't believe he did that!
Yes, you can.
No, I can't!
Idiot! He was jealous!
Jealous? No, no, he's just...
Just what?
Overprotective...
Riiiight, her other side said sarcastically.
As Vash slammed the door open, Meryl walked in behind him apprehensively. If Knives really was awake, life was going to go to hell very quickly. Self-proclaimed protector of plants and destroyer of the human race, he was indeed someone to be feared. Of course, he was injured, but who knew how long that would last? Judging by how fast Vash could heal, Knives would probably be back to full health in just a few weeks. Vash still thought that he could reform his brother, but Meryl had her doubts about that particular venture.
Hopefully, Vash's optimism won't end up with us all murdered in our beds, she thought darkly.
“Vash, you idiotic broomhead!” Meryl whispered fiercely. “Do you WANT him to wake up with all that noise you're making?”
Vash looked down at her from his height, looking a bit sheepish. “Sorry...”
Meryl huffed a bit before the two of them went over to observe Knives.
“Sempai, I just came in to check on his bandages, but before I could do anything, he started to move a little and make some strange noises,” Millie told Meryl.
Meryl blinked. She stared down at the prone form on the bed. Knives was currently bandaged in several places where Vash had shot him in his arms and legs. Nothing fatal for a plant. Meryl felt a strange urge to pull out a derringer and place it against his skull. She sighed, knowing that wasn't an option.
Still, her eyes looked him up and down, searching for any indications of his killer nature. He looked very much like Vash, actually, the same height, the same build, the same facial features (although he was missing the beauty mark that made Vash distinctive). However, his skin tone was slightly darker, and his face was twisted in a frown, starkly contrasted to Vash's characteristic goofball grin. His eyes, though, she didn't know about his eyes.
Meryl glared down at him. She almost wished he would wake up. She wanted to hear his superior, egotistical blather so she could hate him. He deserved it, didn't he? After everything he had put Vash through, as well as herself and Millie, surely he deserved some sort of punishment. Of course, death wasn't a punishment to some.
On the other hand, Meryl thought wryly, being beaten by your pacifistic brother and being forced to live with the creatures you abhor the most might qualify as a punishment...
“Uh, Gunsmoke to Meryl? Come in, Meryl?”
Meryl blinked, greeted by the sight of Vash waving his arm in front of her face. She smiled a little at his antics and pushed the arm down to his side slowly. He looked at her quizzically before bending down over his brother and placing his fingers on Knives's brow.
Vash closed his eyes and grew completely still as Meryl watched. She figured Vash was testing his brother's mind for any indications of when Knives might awaken. Meryl hoped never but doubted she'd get her wish. Vash frowned, slightly marring his smooth features. As Meryl watched Knives suspiciously, she saw a corner of his mouth lift into a smirk.
Meryl's eyes widened slightly, but before she could say anything, Vash sighed and lifted his fingers away.
She stared. He was doing it again. Acting like a completely different person. It confused her to no end. This wasn't the man she had spent most of her time travelling with. That man was a complete and utter goofball. He wasn't the man who had told her to “Stay back!” before the destruction of Augusta. That man was frightening, a devil with glowing blue eyes. No, this was more the man she had talked to up on the hill outside of town. This man was serious, yet almost...mournful. It was so hard to decide if you liked a person who seemed to be several different people at once, she groused.
There I go again, Meryl muttered to herself. Thinking about how much I'd like to tell him...that “thing.” But, there's so many reasons why it could never work...
You're an idiot, her other side pointed out cheerfully.
Oh? She shot back. What about the danger? Knives is still around you know! He could use me as leverage against Vash!
Yes, yes. But, just by staying here you are endangering yourself. Being with Vash wouldn't change that, for better or worse.
Yes, it would! Things could get MUCH worse if Knives knew we were a couple. Not that I'm saying Vash is interested, she added hastily.
You really are determined to believe that, are you? Coward.
I am not a coward!
Yes, you are. You're afraid of being rejected! You couldn't care less about Knives. You'd be just as happy if he never woke up again.
I am not afraid...
Don't bother to deny it! You're afraid that Vash will reject you, not because of Knives (although it might be a factor). What you ARE afraid of is rejection for a different reason entirely.
I-
Rem. You're worried that Vash is still infatuated with Rem.
Well...
Idiot! She's been dead for over a century!
Still...
If you're referring to what happened back at L.R., get over it! Things have changed!
What do you-
“Sempai?”
Meryl blinked. “Huh?”
“You were spacing out again.”
“Oh. Right.”
Meryl shifted her gaze to Vash. “So, Vash, do you know when he'll wake up?”
Vash sighed but refused to speak until they were all seated in the living room. “No. Even though he's unconscious, he's still blocking me. He always was better at that sort of thing, though. All I know is that it'll be soon.”
Meryl recalled the grin on Knives's face. “I agree. But, we have to decide what we should do until and when he does.”
“Well, Sempai, we still have to work. The well still needs some work so I'll be busy there.”
“Well, I still have my job at the bar,” Meryl said.
“I should get a job, too.”
Both Meryl and Millie stared at Vash.
He smiled. “I should help out around here, too.”
“But, Vash, have you ever even HAD a job?” Meryl asked.
“Well, uh, no. But it can't be that hard, right?” he asked brightly.
“Well, we can't ALL have jobs!” Meryl pointed out. “Someone has to look after Knives. Besides, Vash, he's your brother and your responsibility.”
Vash looked at his feet. “I know. But, Meryl, I really think that the one who should take care of him,” he paused, “is you.”
Meryl stared, unable to believe her ears. “WHAT?” she screeched.
“I know it sounds crazy, Meryl, but-”
“You want me to take care of that maniac? Have you lost it?” Meryl raged.
“Sempai, remember your blood pressure,” Millie said serenely.
“Look,” Vash said hastily, “Knives needs to see the good side of humanity, and I honestly believe you would be the best one to show him!”
Meryl stared. What Vash was suggesting was unbelieveable! Why did he think she could reform his crazed brother when he couldn't? There was no way! Knives hated humans! He had almost killed her and Millie! Meryl was willing to do much for Vash, almost anything. But that was the key word, wasn't it?
Almost.
“Vash, you do realize that Knives would sooner kill a human than look at them, right?” she demanded. “What makes you think I can make a difference where you can't?”
Vash shook his head. “I just... I just feel it.”
Meryl narrowed her eyes. “This wouldn't have anything to do with me resembling Rem, would it?”
Vash gaped. “Who told you that?”
Meryl suddenly realized what she had let slip. “Uh...”
“Meryl, is there something you aren't telling me?”
“No. Nothing,” she said, hoping he wouldn't call her bluff.
Vash looked at her funny for a moment before changing the subject rather hastily. “So, what're we going to do?”
“Well, I'm NOT going to look after Knives!” Meryl insisted stubbornly.
“But, Meryl-”
“I have an idea, Sempai.”
Both Vash and Meryl stopped, willing to listen to what Millie had to say.
“How about if Mr. Vash looks after Mr. Knives for a while, and if Mr. Knives gets a little better, Sempai can look after him.”
Meryl thought about it. She supposed if Knives got a little less...what was the word...”genocidal”, THEN she consider helping Vash with his brother. At the moment, her presence would probably just make Knives more irritable and dangerous.
“I think it's a good idea,” Meryl said. “Vash?”
He sighed. “Well, I guess that works...”
“Good!” Millie said, looking cheerful. “Well, I think I'll go feed Kuroneko, now. He probably wants his food,” she announced, before leaving the room.
Meryl watched Millie go, suddenly noticeing how awkward it was sitting in a room alone with Vash. She stared at her hands, folded in her lap. The silence seemed to stretch on until...
“Meryl, I really do appreciate this.”
She huffed. “It's fine.”
Vash stood up and walked over to her. Meryl felt the blood rushing to her face as he cupped her hand in his.
“I swear to you that no one will hurt you. Ever. Not Knives. Not anyone.”
Meryl saw the determination in his aqua eyes, so strong, so determined, even after the living hell he had been though. He still had the strength.
The strength to hope.
The moment seemed to last forever. Then...
“Sempai! Kuroneko is out of food!”
Millie arrived in the room just in time to see the two of them, hands intertwined. Meryl blushed furiously as she yanked her hand out of Vash's grasp and rushed from the room, muttering hastily she needed to use the bathroom.
 
 
HAHA! You guys thought Knives was going to wake up didn't you? Hehe...
Knives: Human, I demand to wake up!
Yes, Knives survived the wrath of Kuroneko. Hey, you are in no position to demand anything.
Knives: Why not?
Because I am the omnipotent authoress. My word is law. Besides, you signed the dotted line. -holds up very official looking piece of paper-
Knives: I hate you.
Awww, cry me a river.
Knives: ...
Muahahahaha!