Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Life Thereafter ❯ An Act of Mercy ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: How I wish I owned Trigun. Sadly, I own it not.
 
A/N: Wow, thanks for the support you guys! All your reviews kept Knives from killing me, and I tell ya, he was mightily disappointed. Anyway, to reward such loyalty, I have another chapter for you. I've been working most of the night amidst much computer problems. I actually thought I might not be able to post, but thankfully I can. So, on to the fic!
 
 
An Act of Mercy
 
Knives was hunched over the back of his chair, arms folded over its edge, long since cleansed of the filthy humans' blood. He was watching Vash with hawk-like blue eyes, scrutinizing everything about his brother. The steady rise and fall of his chest, his drawn, pale face slick with sweat, and how his eyes wandered restlessly beneath his lids. Then, there was his right arm, still coated with pearly white feathers.
It made no sense whatsoever.
Frowning slightly, Knives turned his gaze away, squinting slightly at the sunlight shining through the window over the bed. He narrowed his eyes as the rays of light glinted wickedly off of the metal components of his brother's body.
Yet another example of the spiders' treachery, he thought darkly.
Knives stood up, stretching slightly before turning the chair around and sitting down in it the correct way. Folding his arms over his chest, Knives began think. As much as he was loathe to admit it, the nature of Vash's condition was completely unknown to him. It infuriated Knives to the point where he wanted to just demand an answer from his ill brother, a highly irrational proposition.
It irritated Knives to no end that he could not understand what was wrong with Vash. He would have said that it was a simple case of his brother being unable to control the god-like forces which he, and Knives, as Plants, a race of superior beings, possessed. Yet, if that had been the case, Knives would have been able to help Vash control it. When he had tried to aid his brother the day before, Knives's own Angel Arm had begun to react on its own. Since then, he had been careful to avoid physical contact with his brother's arm. Knives's reasoning was that if Vash could contract this disease, he might be susceptible to it as well.
Knives ground his teeth together. The whole situation was deplorable. Of course, ruthlessly wiping out the pathetic group of humans who had been after his brother had been quite satisfactory. A small, malicious grin twisted the corners of Knives's lips as he recalled the horror and fear on their faces as they begged for mercy. Naturally, there had been none for them. They had gotten what they, and their whole race, deserved.
Still, it rankled at him that he had spared the tiny human female with black hair. Knives scowled at Vash. If the fool had woken up just a few seconds later, she would have been dead, and Vash wouldn't have been able to do anything about it. But no, he woke up and pleaded with Knives to not kill her. Knives had complied, but only because he had been concerned that it would worsen Vash's condition. And despite popular belief, Knives did care for his brother.
Knives gritted his teeth. If only he had been able to rid himself and his brother of that human. That woman who now seemed to embody some sort of Rem quality to Vash. The human's own memories had told him that much all those days ago. It disgusted Knives to think that a human could have so much impact upon his brother that Vash preferred her company to his own flesh and blood.
His fingers twitched, a flash of heat moving up his arm. Knives was tempted, so tempted to end the woman's life right here and now. It would be easy. He didn't need his gun. Everything he needed was at his disposal, intertwined within the very fiber of his being. Knives could slit her throat, as well as that of the taller, more annoying human female, and Vash would never know. The heat intensified, small, sharp, curved feathers sprouting from his left arm.
Knives stood up slowly, his eyes glinting dangerously in the midday suns. He walked past the chair and made his way to the door. His hand was on the handle of the door when he heard a sound.
“No...”
Knives's hand froze in mid-turn. Turning slightly, Knives looked behind him. Vash was tossing and turning in his unconscious state, murmuring incoherently.
“Rem...where...dark...can't see...”
Nonplussed, Knives took his hand of the door as his brother continued to mutter.
“Knives...you...gone...”
Knives frowned. Vash was just babbling in his sleep. He must have been dreaming. Yet, why was he saying those particular things? Of course he couldn't see Rem. She had died over a century ago. But, Knives was there. He hadn't gone anywhere.
“Stay...”
Knives stared at his brother for a moment before sitting back down in the chair. He resumed his vigilant stance over Vash once again.
Very well, brother. I will leave your pets alone for the time being. But don't expect me to remain patient forever.
A small, childlike smile lifted the corners of Vash's lips. Knives looked at his brother suspiciously. Whatever was going on with Vash, Knives didn't want anything to do with it. As soon as he figured out how to heal Vash, he would. Then, he could rid this planet of the vermin which infested it.
Yet, Knives reflected, I cannot heal him here. I cannot even run tests to find out what ails Vash. I need facilities, something this town sadly lacks.
Knives decided. Since there was no possible way he could do anything for Vash here, he would have to take his brother with him to what had once been the headquarters of the Gung-Ho Guns. There, Knives would be able to runs tests, and Vash would be exposed to other Plant Angels. Perhaps some time with his own kind would do Vash some good and help him to see Knives's point of view.
All Knives had to do was acquire a vehicle and some provisions, a relatively simple task. Then, he and Vash would leave this town filled with filth. It would be just the two of them, twin gods on their own, the way it should have been in the first place.
Knives's dream of the perfect Eden, a world with just himself and Vash, would become a reality.
 
 
Meryl was sitting at the table with Millie, sipping a cup of coffee, the bitter liquid relaxing even in the afternoon. Neither woman had gotten up early that morning. Both had been exhausted from the previous day's ordeal, especially Meryl. They had bunked together last night since Meryl's room was a wreck.
Yet another thing I have Knives to thank for, Meryl groused.
It was maddening. Knives was such a bastard, yet he was the one looking after Vash. It made Meryl a little uneasy since Knives didn't exactly have a sparkling record as far as kindness went. The pain Meryl had when she stood and leaned upon her right foot was proof enough.
“Sempai, what are we going to do?”
Meryl looked up and met the gaze of her friend and partner. Millie's blue eyes were uncertain, an odd thing for her since she always seemed so sure of what she was doing and why. It just went to show how much things had changed since they had met Vash, an event that had changed their lives forever, something neither of them had been expecting.
Meryl sighed. “I don't know, Millie.” Her eyes shifted in the direction of the stairs. “I really don't know,” she whispered.
“But...you're Sempai! You can come up with anything!”
Meryl looked down at her hands wrapped around the cup, watching the black contents swirl about. “No, I can't, Millie. I'm only human. And,” she added, almost to herself, “maybe that's the problem...”
 
Yesterday
 
Meryl folowed Knives as quickly as she could without getting too close to him. After all, he was very unstable, especially around humans. She shuddered at the carnage she had witness back there. Meryl had seen her share of blood and wounds after travelling with Vash, but nothing had ever prepared her for that.
The precision with which Knives had annihilated the father and son of the Nebraska family, as well as Descartes, was frightening. Every cut Knives had made with his bladed arms had brought about a desired result. It was unreal. Meryl felt like she had suddenly been in the presence of not a god, but a demon from the bowels of hell. Not only that, but he was a demon who enjoyed doing the devil's handiwork.
Meryl shuddered, the movement causing her to put too much weight on her right leg. She winced from the pain but continued walking. Meryl couldn't afford to show Knives any weaknesses. She didn't believe for one second that Knives wouldn't try to take her life again. He might have spared her this time, but Meryl doubted she would be so fortunate next time. After all, Knives hadn't promised that he would spare her forever.
Several flashes of movement drew Meryl's attention. Out of the corner of her eye, Meryl could see a few townspeople hiding behind buildings and random objects. They looked from Knives, carrying a still unconscious Vash, to her. Fear was in their eyes, which made Meryl feel highly uncomfortable. Of course, the fact that Knives was splattered with the blood of his victims didn't help matters. They probably thought she was an accomplice.
It can't be helped...
Turning her gaze back towards the front of her, Meryl was unnerved to see Knives looking back at her from over his shoulder, a wicked smile on his face. Her heart caught in her throat at the malicious look in his arctic blue eyes.
“You realize, of course, that this arrangement is not permanent,” Knives smirked, his tone of voice indicating that it wasn't a question.
Meryl swallowed hard, knowing what he was referring to, yet she held her head high and glared back at him defiantly. “You're not going to intimidate me that way, Knives,” she growled, glowering at him.
The look on her face seemed to amuse and irritate him at the same time. “We shall see,” he said shortly. “In the meantime, give me the two guns in your possession.”
Meryl's heart leapt in alarm. “What guns?”
“Don't pretend you don't know,” he hissed, stopping abruptly with Vash still in his arms as he turned and faced her. “Give them back. They were not made for vermin like you,” he spat.
Her eyes widened fearfully. Knives meant business. Hesitantly, she drew the twin .45 Colts out of the pockets of her overalls and held them out to him, her hands shaking slightly. Knives shifted the weight of his brother so he could take them from her outstretched hands. Then, he tucked them into the back pockets of his jeans.
Knives grinned. “I see you can make a sensible descision. You have just prolonged your life. For a time,” he sneered as he turned back around and began to walk away.
Meryl began to feel her fear fading, replaced by a hot anger. What gave him the right to judge a race he had never tried to live with? Why was it that he believed he could kill indescriminately? No one had that right!
“Knives! Come back!” she shouted, running after him.
Knives paused and looked at her. “What?” he snapped, clearly losing what little tolerance he had with her.
“What gives you the right to judge us?” Meryl demanded. “Why can't you leave us alone? What have we ever done to you?”
Knives seemed to grow in height, his eyes flashing dangerously, causing Meryl to step back, her rash anger fading beneath his cold glare.
“What right? What right?” he snarled. “What right do you filthy humans have to suck a planet dry of resources? What right do you have to run away from the same planet you destroyed just so you could populate another and plague it with your presence? What right do you have to spread the virus which is the human race? What right do you have to drain my sisters of their life force to satisfy your greedy selves? Don't you dare lecture me, you piece of trash!” Knives raged.
Meryl shrunk back from his violent outburst. Knives looked down at her disdainfully before walking away, his back stiff with anger. The sad part was the Meryl couldn't deny anything he had said with good conscience. He was right, but Vash was also right. It was so confusing.
Maybe Knives is right about us, she thought morosely. But, humans can be kind also. Why can't he see that? Why doesn't he understand that he's not the only one who cares about Vash? I care, too...
The rest of the walk went on in silence, neither speaking to the other. It wasn't even an awkward silence. There was just nothing left to say.
When they arrived at the house, the front door slammed open, Millie's tall form outlined in the doorway, her brown hair tied in a bun and her face flushed from exertion. Meryl guessed that she had probably just gotten back from work.
Millie ran out to them. “Oh, Mr. Knives, you're awake! That's wonder-” Her voiced trailed off as she saw the state of the three. “Oh my gosh! What happened to Mr. Vash? Why are you covered in blood, Mr. Knives? And Sempai! What happened to your new overalls?” she cried.
From behind Knives, Meryl could see his stance become more rigid. Sensing danger, Meryl hurriedly said, “Nevermind that now, Millie! Let's just get in the house!”
A glimmer of understanding lit up Millie's face. “Alright then, come in. You need to be cleaned up!”
They entered the house, and Knives promptly went up the stairs with Vash, not uttering one word in explanation. At Millie's puzzled glance, Meryl began to explain.
 
Present
 
“What are you talking about, Sempai? How could you be anything other than human?”
Meryl jolted out of her reverie. “Nevermind. It's nothing,” Meryl sighed.
“Sempai...”
“What is it, Millie?” Meryl asked.
“You know, you really should have more faith in yourself.”
Meryl smiled sadly. “I know I should. But it's hard sometimes.”
Millie clamped a hand on her friend's shoulder. “I know it is, Sempai,” she said. “Life is hard. Especially when the...the one you care about the most leaves you,” Millie sniffled.
“Millie, you don't have to-”
“It's ok, Sempai,” Millie said, smiling sadly through teary eyes. “I've moved on with my life. I'll always miss Mr. Priest, but I know he wouldn't want me to be sad forever. And you shouldn't be either!”
“Millie...”
Meryl leaned back in her chair, her thoughts wandering. It never ceased to amaze her how Millie could always see through Meryl and tell her exactly what she needed to here. She shook her head. It was incredible.
Meryl pushed back in her chair and stood up. “Listen, Millie, I think I'm going to go check on Vash.”
“Oh, sure. Go ahead, Sempai. I'll be fine,” Millie said reassuringly.
Meryl left the table and began to climb up the stairs. As she walked by the entrance to her now unuseable room, she noticed the door leaning up against the nearby wall. The room was still a pit, broken bits of bed and pieces of the mattress had not been cleaned up. It made Meryl somewhat sad since she had loved having her own room. Millie was great and all, but there were times when Meryl liked her solitude, and she was sure that Millie felt the same way, even though neither of them ever voiced that thought out loud.
Meryl stepped past the room and went towards the room where Vash and Knives were. She lifted her hand to knock. Swallowing hard, she managed to rummage up enough courage to rap lightly on the door.
There was no answer.
Meryl bit her lip, unsure of what to do. She wondered if they were asleep, but then decided against that idea. Meryl doubted Knives slept, anyway.
He doesn't seem the type unless he's plotting to strangle you, Meryl thought wryly.
She took a deep breathe and prepared to knock once again. However, before her knuckles could make contact with the door, it swung open, revealing a rather irritable-looking Millions Knives, who was dressed in a similar outfit to yesterday. He glared down at her as only one who believed himself to be superior to all things could.
At least he's not still covered in blood, she laughed nervously to herself.
“What do you want?” he asked curtly.
Meryl looked around Knives's broad frame nervously, hoping to catch a glimpse of Vash, whom she had not seen since the previous day. However, her view was blocked by Knives, who continued to look down on her, his features becoming increasingly aggravated.
“I was wondering if I could see Vash,” she said, her voice so low that it was almost a whisper.
“If you are going to mumble incoherently, get out of my way, and stop wasting my time,” Knives stated, his eyes narrowing.
“I want to see Vash,” Meryl said, her voice rising in strength and volume.
Knives's eyes narrowed even further into slits. “No.”
“Why not?” Meryl demanded heatedly.
Knives stepped forward threateningly. “Apparently, you seem to be forgetting to whom you are speaking,” he hissed, eyes flashing menacingly. “For what reason would I want to let you in to see my brother? Am I supposed to allow you to corrupt him even more while he's at his weakest point?”
Meryl's temper began to rise again. “You want to talk about corrupting him?” she shouted. “What about you? How are you not `corrupting?'”
Knives slammed his fist into the wall, creating a dent in it. “If you were anyone other than my brother's pet,” Knives spat, “I would kill you where you stand!”
“Go ahead! Kill me like you killed Rem!” Meryl growled. “I dare you!”
“You fool!” Knives raged. “You know nothing about us! Don't presume that you can understand with your insignificant mind!”
“You're so full of bullshit.”
A deathly silence fell in the hall. Knives seemed to be fighting violently against himself to not strike her dead where she stood. Meryl stood firm, refusing to show fear, even though she knew her life might very well end in the next few seconds.
When Knives next spoke, his voice pulsed with anger. “Do you want to die?”
“Do you want me to die?” Meryl asked quietly.
“More than you know,” he said through clenched teeth.
“Then why don't you?”
Knives stood very still, slowly regaining his compusure. Then, “My brother. At this point, killing you would only make him worse,” Knives said stiffly. “You life has not been spared because I like you. I detest you. Your mere presence disgusts me. Yet, Vash's life is more important to me right now. This is not an act of mercy.”
Meryl stared at Knives. Is he serious?
“That does not matter now. I am leaving tomorrow,” Knives stated, “with my brother.”
“I'm going with you!” Meryl said quickly.
“You are not,” Knives glared.
“I am,” Meryl replied, her voice as hard as steel. “If you try to stop me, I'll just follow you anyway. I'm going for Vash, not you.”
Knives seemed ready to explode. “You are not going, and that's final!” he roared.
“Meryl...”
Both stopped in what was about to be a violent argument at that one word from Vash's mouth. They stared at him, then at each other. Meryl thought Knives looked about ready to spontaneously combust.
“Very well,” he said hoarsely. “We leave tomorrow.”
 
 
Wow. Am I good or what?
Knives: You are horrible.
Hey! That's not nice!
Knives: I'm not nice.
Oh, yeah... Well, you know what they say happens to people who aren't nice?
Knives: What?
Heeheehee... They get attacked by Kuroneko.
Kuroneko: NYAH! -attacks Knives-
Knives: Damn it!
Muwahahahaha! Ahem, now, reviews please. XD