Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Life Thereafter ❯ Reconciliation ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: How I wish I owned Trigun. Sadly, I own it not.
 
A/N: I'm really tired now. I can't believe I actually got this chapter out tonight considering how late of a start I got on typing. Tired now. Really tired.
Ahem, anyway, I do believe a few prizes are in order for taking a guess at the plot device in the previous chapter. Looks like I have some cookies to give out.
For those of you who guessed at the cylinders, you get a gazillion bajillion cookies! And you people are orpheus01, Aine of Knockaine, and pheonix521! Congrats! You may now sit back and enjoy your cookies. However, even though you guessed the cylinders, rest assured that I have MANY more surprises in store for you, espcially since I thought up and ending to the fic.
And to my other reviewers, I LOVE YOU GUYS! 12 reviews for ONE chapter! A new record for me! -glomps-
Anyway, enough rambling. On to the story!
 
 
Reconciliation
 
Meryl winced as the truck hit yet another uneven spot in the road. Sitting up slowly and rubbing her backside, which had bumped roughly into one of the more lumpy, and hard items packed into the back of the vehicle, she sighed, shifting slightly to make herself more comfortable. Bumps were getting increasingly more frequent, and Meryl did not know how much more punishment her backside could take.
Of course, she thought wryly, this really doesn't qualify as a road. More like a forced path through the desert.
As she leaned back against her pack, Meryl closed her eyes, allowing the coarse, dry wind to whip past her face, her hair streaming before her. A few strands got stuck in her mouth. Brushing them out of her face, Meryl frowned when the flew right back into her face effect of immediately. She growled slightly to herself before giving up on taming her hair.
The truck jerked again. Meryl's rear lifted a few inches off her seat and banged back down with a force that she was sure bruised her tail bone. Grousing to herself silently about how Knives could drive but not drive well, Meryl grabbed a few padded items and shoved them underneath herself, determined not to be sore again. If Knives were any other driver, Meryl would have shouted at him, asking him what the hell he thought he was doing. However, when it came to Knives, you just did not say things like that.
They had been travelling like this for about two days. Knives would stop the truck once in the middle of the day for lunch and once when the suns were about to sink under the horizon to set up camp for the night. Meryl would clamber out of the back of the truck, grabbing a few provisions. After preparing a meager meal, she would give Knives a helping and have one for herself. After that, the one of them would check on Vash to see if he would eat something, which so far he had not. Meryl looked after Vash during the day while Knives looked after him at night.
Of course, Meryl sighed. He thinks I'll “taint” Vash or something like that. Well, as much as I hate him, I guess Knives has the right to look after Vash. Still, I worry...
The general atmosphere which hung over the three companions was one of tension. Well, it was more accurate to say that the tension resided mostly between Meryl and Knives. When they stopped, he would not speak to her. She had at the very least been expecting him to go on about how superior his race was and that hers deserved to be exterminated. Interestingly enough, he had done no such thing. Despite this, Meryl was wary when near him. Out of the corner of her eye, Meryl sometimes caught Knives's piercing gaze on her, his malice almost palpable, even if it was not openly in display. For that reason, Meryl felt more relaxed when she was where she was now, in the back with Vash.
Her black hair whipping about, Meryl glanced over to her right. Vash was stretched out next to her, still covered in blankets. It was very strange that he was not hot underneath all of those layers, especially beneath the twin suns. His face was drawn and pale with dark circles under his eyes. Meryl's heart ached at the sight of him. Vash no longer looked like the man she had first met about three years ago. It made her realice just how fragile this life was, as well as its ever-changing nature.
Smiling wistfully, a touch of sadness lingering on her features, Meryl remembered how much she had enjoyed travelling with Vash in the old days. Even though he had been a goofball who could be quite irritating at times, she had always liked him somehow. It had taken Meryl a long time to acknowledge that truth.
And when I finally did, all of this had to happen, she thought, somewhat bitterly.
Meryl sighed. It was not like her to complain. It was, in fact, wrong of her to complain. The fact that she was not dead and buried six feet underground, or worse, left to rot in the heat radiating from the twin suns, was something to be thankful for. Not many could boast that after encounters with Knives like the ones she had had.
Actually, she thought wryly, I'm probably the only one.
That in itself was ironic since Knives had made it extremely clear that he would like nothing better than to slit her throat. For this exact reason, Meryl avoided contact with Knives a much as possible. And since Knives had not voiced any objections to this, she decided this was the best way to stay alive. On the other hand, she would never be able to completely avoid him. Still, she was going to try.
A small noise drew Meryl's attention away from her reverie. Vash was tossing a little under his covers. Uncertain of what to do, Meryl watched him for a few moments before shifting her position slightly and tucking the edges of the blankets more tightly around him. As a few strands of golden blond hair flopped over his face, Meryl gently reached over and brushed them back, her fingers lightly tracing across Vash's cheek. Lifting her hand away, Meryl gazed at Vash for a few moments before turning away again.
Sticking her hands firmly into her lap, Meryl began to feel the heat rising a little in her cheeks. Of all times to start this kind of thing, this was the worst. Knives was right in the front seat, and she doubted he would appreciate it if she began to visibly exhibit feelings for his precious brother.
Get a hold of yourself, Meryl! she berated herself silently.
In any case, the most important thing at the moment was healing Vash. However, Meryl had no idea how Knives would propose to do so. He had said that they were going to his old headquarters for more advanced technology than any other that existed among the general population of Gunsmoke. Supposedly, Knives claimed that he would be able to find a cure for Vash there.
Meryl had mixed felings about this. While she wanted to help Vash a great deal, almost to the point of irrational behavior (such as deliberately provoking Knives), Meryl's stomach twisted everytime she thought of how they were going to the very place where the Gung-Ho Guns had once called home, including Legato Bluesummers. Just thinking of him sent a chill down Meryl's spine.
Yet, there was nothing she could do about it. Meryl realized and accepted that as best she could. Still, it was a hard thing for her to do. Leaving her fate in the hands of others was certainly not something Meryl was used to, or liked, doing.
I hope, just this one time, that things will turn out alright in the end...
“Nnnnh...”
Meryl jumped slightly, startled by the sound of a voice beside her. She immediately jerked her head about, her gaze met by two aqua eyes stairing back at her. They blinked, as if trying to come into focus.
“Meryl?” Vash mumbled, his voice thick and fuzzy. “What happened?”
 
 
Dream Sequence
 
Floating...
Floating in a void...
A void of blank, white nothingness...
The one known as Vash the Stampede was floating in a void of blank, white nothingness.
It was bright there, so bright that he would have been blinded had his eyes been staring into that light. Yet, he could see. Vash could see, even though there was nothing to see where he was.
This puzzled him. Despite the calm and peaceful aura that seeme to envelop him in a warm embrace here, Vash felt an undercurrent of tension. It was not something definite. It was an instinct, a gut feeling deep inside that refuse to go away. It tugged gently on his attention, firm and persistent.
Vash closed his eyes and opened them again slowly. He blinked rapidly a the world came back into focus, this time in a seemingly completely different reality. This place was green, green and lush like the Rec Room had been back on the Project SEEDS ship. But, that was impossible.
Then, putting one foot in front of the other, Vash began to wander through the paradise he had somehow refound. No one was there except him. The world was fresh and clean, probably the way Earth had once been, Vash realized. Dew drops sparkled as they dripped off the edges of plant leaves, and the grass rustled beneath his boots, a thick, earthy scent drifting up into his nostrils. Somewhere, a lake of pure white, as if made of light, shone like the sun, a small river leading away from it.
This place, it lifted Vash's spirit high, soaring in the blue sky above, ducking in an out of fluffy, moist clouds. Never before had Vash felt so free. He could not remember why he was there, nor why feeling free was so bizarre and liberating to him, but he did know that he was happy.
Drifting on the very wind itself, Vash flew deeper and deeper into this strange land, following the course of the gleaming river. As he went, Vash gradually began to notice a shift in the landscape. Grass began to seem brittle and dry. Flowers drooped, their colorful petals strewn about them, shivelling up. And the trees began to wither, rust-colored leaves crumbling as they fell to the dusty, malnourished ground, bleak against the gray horizon.
Vash stopped suddenly as the wind supporting him jerked a bit before disappearing altogether. As he plummetted down rapidly, Vash flapped his arms and legs desperately, his red coat whipping about him violently. It was all to no avail as he hit with a force that should have broken every bone in his body yet somehow did not.
Pushing himself up slowly and sore in every spot he cared to name (and even a few he did not), Vash managed to turn himself over on his back. He moaned a bit before forcing himself into a sitting position. Then, Vash carefully brought himself to his feet, sucking in his breath as his muscles screamed pain at him. He looked up, a feeling of dread growing inside of him although he did not know why.
Vash gasped, partially with shock and partially with fear. In the place where the gray sky, the bleak, dusty earth, and the white river met, there seemed to be a tear, and the white river was flowing out through there. Scrutinizing it more closely, Vash could see the void expanding slightly, a strange, sucking sound coming from it.
Vash shuddered slightly. Whatever that void was, he had a feeling it was something bad, something wrong. It was an aberration that should not have been there. Looking back behind him, Vash could see the desolateness of his surroundings. Yet, the area closer to the river's source had been healthy. And, Vash knew somehow that the lake, once emptied, would not fill up again. If the lake dried up, this place would not be able to survive. It would die.
What can I do? Vash thought desperately. I can't just let this place die!
As those exact thoughts crossed his mind, Vash suddenly felt a strong jerk on his right arm. One long, black tendril had extended from the void and wrapped itself around Vash's arm, yanking hard. Vash gritted his teeth and pulled the opposite way, determined not to be sucked in.
Then, as the tendril tightened its grip, and the pain intensified, Vash watched in horror as feathers began to sprout from his besieged arm, one after the other. They lengthened, twisting and writhing as if they were alive. Vash felt the power building, tears in his eyes as the transformation continued, the faces of the many his life had touched flashing before his eyes, grief chiseled across his features.
The feathers and tendrils combined forces and began to pull him into the void, an unholy blend of light and dark, both corrupted by some unknown force. Vash squeezed his eyes shut, the salted liquid leaking out of the corners of his eye, leaving twin trails down his cheeks. He did not want this. Vash did not want this to happen.
I have so much left to do! Vash cried as memories began to trickle into his mind, slowly but surely.
Then, everything disappeared into the white sound of his scream.
 
End Dream Sequence
 
“Nnnnh...”
Vash's eyes flickered open, the taste of fear on his tongue as he tried to squash it. The moment he opened his eyes, the light overpowered his senses, causing Vash to blink rapidly, eyes watering. As his sight slowly adjusted, Vash was aware of movement as whatever was supporting him vibrated constantly. He looked over towards his left, more than a little shocked by whom he saw there.
Vash stared back into Meryl's eyes. The mere sight of her caused a lump in his throat. But, what was she doing here.
“Meryl?” Vash mumbled, his voice thick and fuzzy from disuse. “What happened?”
 
 
Meryl blinked. She hesitated, unsure what to say. After all, Vash had been unconsious for a few days now. He was, quite obviously, pretty far behind the times. Just in the past few days, Knives had slaughtered three men, Meryl had been given the two cylinders, and now the previously impossible was happening as both Meryl and Knives were trying to help Vash.
Oh, yes, that will definitely go over well, Meryl sighed.
“Meryl...?”
Jerking her head up, Meryl met Vash's gaze, his aqua eyes worn and dull, not at all the way they had been when he had first returned from his battle with Knives slung over his shoulder. The irony of the situation did not escape Meryl. Vash had said he would save Knives, but right now, it appeared that Knives would be doing the saving, not the other way around.
“Vash, you're awake. That's really wonderful,” Meryl said, attempting to sound cheerful, a smile plastered on her face.
Vash looked at her wanly. “You don't have to pretend, Meryl.”
“Huh? What do you mean?” Meryl asked uneasily.
He sighed. “I mean that I am the world's foremost expert on faking smiles.” His lips twisted wryly. “You can't fool me.”
The smile faded slowly as Meryl's face became more downcast. “I'm sorry,” she whispered. “I just didn't want you to worry.”
“That's what I used to tell myself all the time...”
Meryl stared at Vash, uncertain. “Are you alright, Vash?”
“Can you...can you tell me what happened?”
She sighed, wrapping her arms about her legs as she pulled them up to her chest. “Yes. I can.”
Vash sucked in his breathe. “And will you...will you also tell me something else?”
Meryl froze. “What?”
“...What happened after...after that time...where I...where I...?” his voice trailed off.
As understanding dawned on her, Meryl bit her lip. The first she did not mind so much, but the second bothered her. Yet, after all this time, and after everything that had happened, would it really be fair to deny him?
“I'll...” Meryl took a deep breathe. “I'll tell you. You...you deserve to know...”
“Thank you...”
Nodding slowly, a knot in her throat, Meryl began. “How much do you remember?”
A blank look crossed Vash's face, as if he were trying to remember. Then, when his eyes came back into focus, he said quietly, “The last thing I remember is you and Knives in town, and after that...nothing...”
“I see...” Meryl said, her voice barely louder than a whisper. “Well, after that-”
“Meryl, what happened before you found my brother?”
She looked down uncomfortably at her feet. I was afraid he was going to ask me that...
“What happened to the Nebraskas and Descartes?” Vash prodded, his voice more urgent this time.
“They...they're dead,” Meryl whispered. “Knives...he killed them...”
There was a long silence after that. Meryl felt like crawling into a hole and staying there. She could only imagine what Vash was feeling right now. His twin, the one he had been trying to save for over a century in accordance with the death wish of the woman who had been like his mother, had killed right under his nose, and Vash had been unable to stop it.
“How did they...how did it happen?” Vash croaked.
“I don't really know,” Meryl said hesitantly. “They were already dead when I arrived.”
“How could he?” Vash cried.
Meryl stared at him hopelessly. “I don't know.”
Sniffling, Vash wiped hi eyes with a blanket. “I'm sorry. It's not your fault. Go on.”
Meryl cleared her throat. “Well, after you passed out, Knives brought you back, and after gathering some supplies, we left two days later with you.”
“Knives...let you come?” Vash asked, the shock in his voice unmistakeable.
“Well, I insisted,” Meryl said, aware of how lame that probably sounded.
“Why did he let you?”
Meryl sighed. “I really don't know.”
There was a long silence. Then...
“Where are we going?”
“Your brother said something about his headquarters,” Meryl answered, “because it has better facilities. I believe that, but I just don't trust him,” she finished.
“Is he...is he the one who injured you?” Vash wanted to know.
Meryl did not know what to say. If she said that Knives had not, that would be a lie. If she said Knives had done it, Knives might just deny it later. What could she do?
Well, the truth is the truth, even if no one believes it, she thought, resigned.
“Yes...but I'm ok now,” Meryl assured him, hoping Vash would accept that and leave well enough alone
Looking away from her, Vash closed his eyes. “I'm sorry...”
Meryl blinked. “For what?”
“Everything.”
“Vash, what are you-?”
“I'm sorry about that time.”
Meryl stiffened slightly. She had tried to forget about it, the time right after Legato's death. Why was he bringing it up now?
“Knives, he told me what happened. He...he told me what I myself couldn't remember,” Vash said, his voice shaking. “I'm sorry.”
“Vash, you don't have to appologize to me. I don't deserve it,” she replied morosely, “especially after all that time I went without talking to you. I'm the one who should be sorry, and,” Meryl took a deep breathe, “I am.”
A small smile lifted the corners of Vash's lips. “Thank you...”
Then, the happy look still on his face, Vash's eyes fluttered closed, a peaceful look on his face for the first time since this whole mess had begun. In that moment, Vash seemed so innocent, so pure, it was hard for Meryl to believe that he was over one hundred years old.
Meryl closed her own eyes, the bright light from the suns penetrating her eyelids. She wished this could last forever. Just her, Vash, and the desert, how wonderful that would be. But, the reality was that life simply was not that simple. It was cruel, unfair, and depressing, but nothing could be done.
The look of peace on Vash's face before he had fallen back to sleep gave Meryl a sense of calm as well. She was glad that the two of them were reconciled again. In a strange way, Vash's sickness had helped bring about that reconciliation. Talk about irony.
Opening her eyes once more, Meryl absentmindedly watched the dust being kicked up by the truck's wheels as dune after dune rushed past them. The sky was blue, unbelieveably blue, the kind of blue you could become lost in. In that moment, Meryl felt like she was experiencing deja vú. Riding along in the desert reminded her of all the happy times with Millie and Wolfwood, just the four of them, including Vash. Those days had long since passed, though, and they would never come back.
As the heat and the now less rough vibrating and jostling of the truck became increasingly relaxing, Meryl's eyes began to droop. A few minutes later, she was asleep.
 
 
The monotony of the journey continued, the calm before an oncoming storm. As the afternoon drifted by, clouds passing overhead, there was trouble in paradise. As the truck slowed to a complete stop, no one noticed the driver peering back at the two passengers, a hateful glint in his arctic blue eyes. Then, his gaze still smoldering, Knives resumed travel across the desert, anger etched on every line of his face.
 
 
Another foreshadowing thingy in this chapter! I dare you you to find and analyze it! Muwahahahahahahahahahaha! -is hit over the head with a frying pan-
Knives: Be silent, child.
-rubs head and scowls- Don't do that!
Knives: Why shouldn't I?
Because! I just spent all night typing this chapter, and when I finally get to be happy about it, you whack me on the head with a frying pan!
Knives: If I did not, your ego would get so large that your head would float off of your body.
o.o Um, I guess that's kinda true...
Knives: You admit that I am right. Good!
-glares- Shut up. I don't wanna talk to you anymore. -locks him in the closet with Kuroneko-zilla- MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! -falls over-