Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Life Thereafter ❯ Flashy ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: How I wish I owned Trigun. Sadly, I own it not.
 
A/N: Another chapter posted late. Sorry about the delay. It's getting harded and harder to find the time for these things. Anyway, I've been meaning to say this for a while now, but I LOVE YOU REVIEWERS! I NOW HAVE MORE REVIEWS FOR THIS FIC THAN ANY OTHER I'VE EVER WRITTEN!!! -GLOMP-
Ahem, so I hope you enjoy this chapter. And cookies for all the people who guessed BDN back in Ch. 21! Here he comes! XD
 
 
Flashy
 
Meryl sat up slowly, sucking in her breath sharply when she felt the pain prickle her in various places. Her stomach clenched, and she held herself still for a few moments, just to make sure her injuries had not been torn open. Once her discomfort subsided for the most part, Meryl checked herself carefully, rolling up the sleaves of her loose black shirt. The bandages were still in place. From what she could see, they were secure.
Then, glancing about cautiously, Meryl made sure no one else was looking. Just to be safe, she pulled up the sheets of her bed to shield herself from view before lifting her shirt up. Twisting her head about, Meryl could catch a glimpse of the dressings on the wounds carved into her back. She shuddered slightly, remembering what lay beneath that padded, white exterior an the sheer number of stitches. Hopefully, they would come out in half a week to a week.
Grimacing slightly, Meryl shifted her position in the bed so her legs dangled over the side, brushing lightly against the hard floor. Looking down at herself, Meryl smiled wryly when she noticed, not for the first time, that there were no bandages on her legs.
At least Knives missed them even though he didn't miss anything else.
Meryl stared at the wall, her gaze wandering, resting every now and then on the odd piece of medical equipment. Knives had protested her staying in the medical bay once she was able to walk on her own, albeit quite slowly, but Meryl had stubbornly refused to be separated from Vash. Knives had reacted in his usual fashion, glaring at her through those arctic blue eyes, his face as hard as stone. But, as always, he really did not have choice in the matter. Meryl sometimes felt a twinge of satisfaction when she considered Knives's predicament, but it faded soon after.
After all, she thought darkly, there's no telling how long this arrangement will last.
The best Meryl was hoping for now was that she would be able to survive Knives's wrath until Vash was well again. At the moment, Meryl was fairly sure Knives could not harm her due to necessity. However, once the need for her had expired, he would not tolerate her. She could tell by the way he looked at her when Vash was not around or watching him. Meryl did her best to ignore it, but it was still unnerving.
Since she had first awoken and confronted Knives about how much of a bastard he was (“No, Vash, I will NOT take back what I said!” Meryl had indignantly told said outlaw a day later when Knives was not around.), Meryl's main concern had been getting well again. After about a week on IV's and repeated changes in bandages ,done by none other than Millions Knives himself (much to both Knives's irritation and Meryl's unease), Meryl had been able to get up and out of bed.
It had almost been like learning to walk again, only this time with someone who wanted to kill you instead of your loving parents or someone like that. Still, after some practice, Meryl had managed to stand on her own. Yet, even that was not the most difficult thing Meryl had had to do.
After Meryl managed to walk around a bit, Knives immediately put her to work. He showed her the basics of working the ships' computer systems. Naturally, she never saw anything truly complex, which Meryl took as a sign of Knives's determination to “keep the pathetic human in its place,” as she heard him mutter one day. It was demeaning to her, Meryl knew, but she made the best of it. After all, helping Vash was what she had set out to do, not to teach Knives manners, which was impossible.
The very next day, Knives began running tests on Vash. Meryl saw now why it had been necessary for him to allow her to live, since Knives himself never got close to Vash. Meryl was the one who attached equipment to Vash's arm so Knives could run the experiments, whether they were taking (or rather attempting to take) samples or calculating the energy Vash was losing each day.
Yesterday was awful...
 
Yesterday
 
Meryl bit her lip, unsure what to do.
“Human, do as I say!” Knives said stiffly.
“I don't know if this is such a good idea...”
Knives narrowed his eyes. “I will not tell you to activate the device again. Do it now!”
Meryl looked down at Vash's prone form, the needles, IV's, and electrodes stuck to Vash's right arm, which was now strapped to a metallic platform. The small electrodes were hooked to a computer, the monitor currently humming softly in preparation for the test. They were supposed to measure Vash's energy output, but Meryl felt ill at ease about the whole thing. She looked at Vash, who seemed uncomfortable with the arrangement yet calm nevertheless.
Without saying a word, Vash nodded. Meryl looked away, taking a deep breath before pressing the activation button.
Not long after, numbers began flickering across the screen, lighting up the room with a dull illumination. Meryl was conscious of Knives leaning forward to get a better look at the readings the machine was getting. His close proximity made her feel somewhat edgy, so she began to look around the room until her eyes rested on Vash, who smiled weakly at her.
Well, I did smack him upside the head today. He probably shouldn't have told me that he watched while Knives was bandaging me, she thought, bemused and annoyed at the same time.
“Damn!” Knives ground out, the abruptness of his comment causing her to jump slightly.
“What? What happened?”
Knives pushed Meryl out of the way. She winced at the abrasiveness of his action as he roughly brushed against her wounds. Meryl opened her mouth to reprimand him for his thoughtlessness, but no sound came out when she saw Knives, hunched over the computer, typing rapidly. Alarmed, Meryl looked at Vash, whose eyes were wide with fear.
“What's going on?” Meryl asked, her voice tighty with anxiety.
“He's giving off too much power!” Knives said angrily, his fingers still flying over the keys. “The device is overloading and malfuncting because of it. If it isn't stopped-!”
In that same moment, the monitor began to whir at an increasingly volume until finally it shut off entirely. A few seconds later, it exploded.
Meryl was blown off her feet, landing hard on her rear. She bit her tongue to keep from crying out as she felt her wounds strain against the thread holding them together. Warm liquid began to seep from her back through her clothing. Meryl froze, her heart pounding as smoke from the explosion wafted over her. She coughed and grabbed onto the nearest object she could find: a stool. Then, she began to haul herself up, flinching as each wound seemed to throb.
Finally, she managed to stand. Wandering forward slowly, Meryl waved her hand in front of her, trying to clear the smoke away. She nearly tripped over something while shuffling along. An indistinguishable, yet clearly angry, noise reached Meryl's ears, and she back away quickly, nearly knocking over a tray filled with different medical instruments.
“Apparently your kind is incapable of watching where you are going,” Knives's voice growled as he stood, hunched over slightly ans smudged with burn marks, clutching his left arm tightly.
Meryl's eyes dropped from his angry expression to his arm. Feathers were poking out between the cracks in his fingers. Crimson began to trickle onto his right hand, and Meryl's throat tightened when she realized the feathers, despite their small size, were sharp enough to cut through flesh.
Edging slowly around Knives, Meryl managed to get past him, ever aware of his eyes boring into the back of her head. When she finally emerged from the smoke, her eyes widened when she saw the state Vash was in.
His feathery arm was singed yet still intact. If anything, the wings were more lively than they had ever been as the electrodes and needles were forced from Vash's skin, quite literally popping out of place. Vash moaned a bit, his skin a little burned and cut from the bits and pieces of debris that had flown everywhere during the explosion.
I need to find something to bandage him with! Meryl thought urgently. “Knives! Vash needs medical attention!”
Knives stared at her appraisingly, his lips a thin line. “Thank you for stating the obvious,” he told her coldly, before walking to the other side of the room to fetch the first aid materials.
Meryl glared after him. I can't bother with him now. I have to help Vash.
Picking her way around the mess on the floor to Vash's left side, the side where feathers were mercifully lacking, Meryl leaned forward to check on Vash when something else caught her eye. She squinted, trying to make sure she was not seeing things. Her breath caught in her throat.
“What is it?” Knives asked, no longer clutching his left arm. However, the blood, as well as his testy mood, remained.
“Vash's hair,” Meryl whispered hoarsely. “It's gotten blacker!”
 
Present
 
Meryl got to her feet and padded out of the medical bay, determined not to stay there one moment longer. Almost in a daze, she pulled on a pair of shoes and walked out of the door, the sound of Vash's steady breathing shut off as the door slid shut behind her. Right now, she did not care where Knives was. All she wanted was to be alone.
Everything was happening at such a rapid pace now. The discovery that the black in Vash's hair now made up one-fourth of his previously all blond hair around the base of his neck had put Knives in such a bad mood that he became unapproachable. Not that he had ever been very sociable, especially where she was concerned, but when he saw for himself, Knives's features darkened considerably. Without another word, he had left the room, leaving Meryl alone to patch herself and Vash up.
Meryl smiled wistfully. I have no regrets.
She shuffled through Knives's fortress, oblivious to her surroundings. I don't pity myself because I made my own choices.
Looking up, Meryl found herself in the Plant complex once again, the warm light coming from the huge bulb pulsating faintly, the only light to be seen against the stars dimmly brightening Gunsmoke's surface. It was almost conforting to know that someone else was here besides Vash, Knives, and herself. Yet, even in the faint lighting, she could barely make out a rust stain standing out starkly against the green grass.
This will undoubtably be the hardest thing I have ever faced, or ever will face, in my lifetime.
But, Meryl had made a promise to herself to go on, no matter how hard it was. This was not something Vash had made her do. This was not something she blamed Vash for either. It was her own choice.
I have to see it through.
“Enjoying yourself?”
 
 
She stiffened, turning to face the one addressing her. “That's not really your business, is it?”
Knives narrowed his eyes. “Nor is this a place for vermin like you to be.”
She glowered at him. “For someone so `superior,' you certainly don't say new things very often. Can't you think of anything else to call me besides `human,' `filth,' or `vermin?'”
“Quite the impudent creature, aren't you?” Knives said, his voice frosty.
Meryl grinned wryly. “I guess you just bring out that side of me, Knives.”
Knives glared down at her from his towering height. “It's fortunate for you that your presence is a prerequisite. If not, you would be torture and killed, at the very least, for speaking to me in such a manner,” he hissed, the desire to wring this woman's neck becoming increasingly difficult to resist despite the need for her.
`Knives...'
Knives stopped as he heard Vash's voice reverberate in his mind. `What is it, brother?' he responded.
`The monitor of the large, main computer is beeping and flashing. It's really strange.'
`What did you do to it, Vash?' Knives asked suspiciously.
`I didn't do anything! I'm bed-ridden, remember?'
`True, but you can't deny that you cause trouble wherever you go.'
`That's not funny, Knives,' Vash replied solemnly.
Knives paused before answering. `What exactly is wrong with the computer?'
`Like I said, it's beeping and flashing,' Vash told him.
Has the security system detected something? That is extremely rare. Knives thought a moment longer before saying, `I'll be there shortly.'
`Alright,' Vash said before severing the connection.
Knives frowned in thought. This was certainly an interesting turn of events. However, intruders would not be tolerated. The last time anyone had found this fortress had been months ago. There had hardly been anything left of the fools once Legato had had his fun. Whoever had appeard now obviously had no idea with whom he was dealing with.
“What's going on?”
Not pausing even to glance at the small human trying to keep up with his long strides, Knives informed her curtly, “Vash has told me that there is a problem with the main computer in the medical bay. I must see to it.”
The human did not reply, apparently occupied with other things. Not that Knives cared, but the thought of a human so close to him not only disgusted him, but it also made him excedingly suspicious. After all, humans were untrustworthy, deceitful organisms.
Knives made his way back to the medical bay and strode into the room. Vash had propped himself up against some pillows, and his arm was strapped to restraints hanging from the ceiling once again. A muscle in Knives's jaw twitched as he caught a glimpse of Vash's hair, even more black than it had been before. Yet another indicator that time was running out.
“I told you,” Vash insisted.
Knives swept over to the computer and sat down in his chair, taking in the scene before him. Indeed, the screen was flashing a bright red color. Knives tapped a few keys on the keyboard. The flashing ceased, only to be replaced by the site of an area outside the ship to the rear.
It would appear that we have a few uninvited guests, Knives noted, his sharp mind already rapidly analyzing his options.
He was unable to determine who the individuals were, although it was clear that they were all together judging by their identical garb of slick suits and masks. They had arrived in multiple different vehicles, and more were coming each minute. Neon lights illuminated the dark, cool night.
They're just like cockroaches, Knives thought in disdain. Crush one, and another crawls out from a wall.
Knives stood, already having come to a conclusion. Considering the sheer number of vermin he was up against, he would need a great amount of firepower to overcome them. The Angel Blades would be sufficient, but Knives was all too aware of the consequences of abusing that power. He touched the handle of his black .45 Long Colt, satisfied that the weapon would be more than enough.
As he was about to leave the room, Vash called, “Knives! Where are you going?”
“There has been a malfunction in the system. I have to repair it,” he lied smoothly. “I'll return soon,” he assured Vash before leaving the room one again, nearly running into the human, who had finally caught up with him.
“Where are you going now?” she demanded, quite forcefully considering she was out of breath, as well as injured.
“The computer system has malfunctioned. I must repair it. It won't take long,” he said, turning to leave.
“Wait! What...what should I do?”
Knives continued to walk. “Stay in the medical bay with Vash. Do not leave.”
“But-!”
“Stay here!” Knives snapped, loosing patience with the woman.
“Fine. I'll stay here,” she muttered.
Knives ignored her attitude as he enter one of the numerous passageways that stretched across the ship in multiple directions, whether up or down or side to side. He bypassed the Plant facility and aimed for the back of the ship. While the main entrance was protected by a bridge that spanned a wide gulf, the rear was fortified mostly by rough terrain. Also, Knives had believed that the area iles behind his headquarters had been uninhabited. He had made certain of it. The only explanation he could think of was that this group was not from around her.
He brushed those thoughts aside as he neared his destination. In the long run, it matters not. They will still die. Who they are makes no difference. They are human. That is reason enough to exterminate them.
Just then, the sound of an explosion rocked the fortress, nearly causing Knives to loose his balance. Catching himself just in time, his face twisted in a snarl, Knives managed to straighten himself, a murderous glint in his eyes.
 
 
Brilliant Dynamites Neon, often called BDN for short by friends and enemies alike, stepped out of his chariot. Of course, it was not a real chariot in the traditional sense of the word. However, it was a custom-made vehicle designed just for him. It shined brightly, and BDN admired that. “Make it good an' flashy.” That was his motto.
He folded his arms over his partially-bare chest and stared up at the monolith before him. BDN grinned widely, lighting his cigarette holder with his own custom-made lighter which shot out a tongue of flame. The end began to sparkle, and BDN released a puff of smoke.
Heh, all this custom-made stuff. Ma always said I was a picky bastard. But, if it ain't flashy and in high style, what's the point?
The place was just like he had left it. Of course, he had did not know exactly what such a huge chunk of lost technnology was doing out her, but it did not really matter. It served as a great place to store his stolen goods.
“Hey, Beremy?”
“Yeah, boss?”
“Open the door, won't you?”
Beremy looked at the other Bad Lads. “You heard the boss! Let's go!”
BDN grinned even wider, his pearly whites gleaming in the neon light coming from his own outfit. He looked forward to seeing his stash, even though most of it was not particularly beautiful or gorgeous. Still, it was nice to see what one had accumulated in life.
It was then that he noticed that his favorite maggots were having trouble opening the back door. He dropped the sparkler and ground it into the dirt with his boot before walking over to where they were struggling to get the door to allow them to enter.
“Problems?”
The men working on the door jumped a little, apparently unnerved by being completely in the shadow of Brilliant Dynamites Neon. Beremy came up to him, seeming a bit nervous.
“Uh, boss, we can't seem to open the door.”
“Oh really? And why is that?”
Beremy scratched his head. “Well, it looks like the locking mechanism has been reactivated.”
BDN frowned down on his henchman. “I thought you got rid of that last time.”
He shook his head. “Looks like it's been replaced. So, what should we do, boss?”
Neon grinned. “Simple.”
A few seconds and an explosion later (thanks to the huge dynamoes on BDN's shoulders) ripped a jagged hole into the fallen ship where a door had once been. Neon strode inside, quite pleased with his handiwork. He ordered his jolly band of bandits inside.
“Unload the haul, scumbags!” he roared.
“YEAH!”
As dozens of Bad Lads rushed back and forth between the vehicles and the secret stash, Neon watched them closely, making sure none of them palmed his treasure. However, when the sound of multiple gunshots echoed across the room, BDN jerked his head up and realized he had bigger problems.
He slammed the door to his stash open, only to be greeted by the sight of the corpses of several of his Bad Lads. Neon narrowed his eyes upon spotting the perpetrator, a tall man with cropped, platinum blond hair and the coldest blue eyes BDN had ever seen.
Hmmm, Neon thought upon seeing the man's odd clothing. Flashy. He looks familiar, too...
“What is your business here, human?” the man demanded menacingly.
Neon did not like the way this guy said “human,” as though it were a vile swear word. “Brilliant Dynamites Neon is my name. And I think I should be asking you what the hell you're doing here, messing with MY possessions AND my men!”
The man's face darkened. “This is my headquarters. I set this place up. You have no business here. Leave, or I will kill you,” he finished meaningfully, aiming a black gun straight at Neon's face.
BDN scanned the weapon. A .45 Long Colt, eh? He blinked. Wait a minute... Yes. The resemblance is uncanny. No wonder he took out my men so easily. He must shine brightly like `him.'
Neon grinned and then began to laugh heartily. His opponent was not amused.
“This is not a joke,” he growled.
As his laughter began to subsde, Neon shook his head at the irony of it all. “Oh, I know it ain't!” he chuckled. “I was just thinkin' how funny life is. After all,” he said, drawing his own gun, “how often do ya meet another like Vash the Stampede?”
“What did you say?”
“Hah!” Neon proclaimed triumphantly. “I was right then. You two are related somehow. Well, well, well. I'm looking forward to seeing how you sparkle, friend. After all,” BDN chuckled, “like I always say, if it ain't flashy and in high style, what's the point? Care to tell me your name before we get this party started?”
His face was inscrutable. “Knives. Millions Knives. And I do not play games like my dear brother.”
“Hahahahaha! Well, then,” Neon rumbled, “let's dance, you son of a bitch! I'll avenge my men. Count on it!”
 
 
Ooooh, looks like it's Brilliant Dynamites Neon vs. Millions Knives! Who will win?
Knives: I will, of course.
Stay tuned to find out!
Knives: Are you listening to me?
Next time in Life Thereafter, it's Brilliant Dynamites Neon vs. Knives! Who will be victorious? Who will be declared King of Games? Dark Tournament Champion? Stay tuned to find out!
Knives: You just said that.
Next time on-! -gets whacked on the head with a frying pan- x.x
Knives: That's better. Now, hurry up and review for she does it again!