Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Mystic Grey ❯ Volume Three: Chap. Nine: Her Searching ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Her Searching

Oh yes, there is someone else too. It's about time she showed up.

It took her days to track them down. The old woman looked at her watch. This went on long enough. The only way to stop this was to tell the truth. She knocked on the door.

“Coming,” Meryl said. The old woman flipped her watch closed. She hadn't expected it to come down to this. She looked up when the door opened. Meryl gave her a confused look.

“Hello?” she asked.

“Good evening,” the old woman said. “Is Vash here?”

“No…” the younger woman said.

“Can I come in?” the old woman asked. Meryl stared at her for a long moment.

“Please! You have to let me in. This is important! I will wait if I have to,” the old woman insisted. Meryl didn't know what to say. This lady didn't give her a chance to talk. She just came here, asked to see Vash, and demanded to be let in. What the hell was this?

“Please!” the woman pleaded. “Just let me in!” Meryl pressed her lips together.

“Alright,” she said.

“Thank you,” the old woman said. She walked into the inn/salon. Meryl frowned as she followed behind. Maybe she could shoot her in defense? She would have to see.

----------

The old lady sat at a table by the door. Meryl kept her eyes on her. Something about this woman seemed so familiar.

“Why do you need to talk to Vash?” she asked. “What did he do now?”

“Nothing yet,” the old woman said. “But he has to know the truth and so do you?”

“What are you talking about?” Meryl asked. “You're not making any sense.”

“Can I have some water?” the old woman asked. Meryl frowned.

“Fine,” she said. She got up from her seat. As she waited, the old woman looked at her watch. The fact she had to be here said things were not going as planned. Lucky for her, there could still be time. Meryl came back with the glass.

“Here,” she said.

“Thank you, dear,” the old woman said. She took a drink of the water. The old woman sat back in her chair. Meryl sat down as she tried to figure that woman out.

----------

It shouldn't have come down to this. She didn't see it until the red flags popped up too late. The old woman cursed herself when she caught on. Now she would have to clean it up.

Rieko.

This girl became her duty. Until now, she didn't have to do much. But something changed.

He came into the picture.

He is toxic. If he doesn't kill Rieko, he will kill her soul. The old woman can't let that happen again. She won't let that happen again.

---------

The old woman and Meryl looked up when they heard the door swing open. Vash stood in the doorway with Rieko on his back.

“Yo,” he said.

“Vash,” Meryl said in one breath. Vash noticed the old woman staring at him.

“Uh… who are you?” he asked. The old woman stood up.

“Vash, Meryl, we need to talk,” she said.

In Search of…