Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Mystic Grey ❯ Volume Six: Chap. Seventeen: Dread ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Dread

He can't let her go. He has her scent. But why does he want her so badly? Even he can't answer that. He closed his eyes and took in the air. She's on the move again. And he knows where. The boy quietly got up and started walking.

Have you found her yet?

“No. But she is close.” He walked straight out into the night. The tavern behind would be quiet for hours.

----------

Vash, Meryl, and Minerva set out west. They still had miles to cover. Rieko would be in the next town by sundown. Minerva held out a small, jeweled pendant.

“What is that?” Vash asked.

“Shhh,” Meryl whispered. Minerva started to hum. The charm started to spin. Slowly, at first. The old lady took a step forward. The humming grew softer. Vash and Meryl looked at each other. Was that the air pulsing? No one moved a muscle. Minerva closed her eyes.

“Mmm,” she said. The old lady kept her back to Vash and Meryl.

“We can still find her,” she said. Vash and Meryl perked up.

“Where?” Vash asked. The old lady didn't turn around.

“Does the name Kuro mean anything?” she asked. Vash and Meryl looked at each other. Kuro? Kuro? Vash shivered for a second. Why did that name sound so familiar?

--------

A hand shook Rieko on the shoulder.

“Hey. Wake up. We're here. Hey. Hey. Hey!”

The girl slowly woke up. Clark was still next to her. The girl blinked.

“Hm?” she asked.

“We're here,” he said. Rieko looked around. They were in the town.

“Oh,” she said. The girl slid off the wagon. Clark frowned.

“Do you need anything else?” he asked. Rieko shook her head.

“No, I'm fine,” she said. She turned and hurried away.

“Miss!” the man shouted after her. The girl didn't turn around. It was amazing he was still alive. Better to keep it that way. Still, Rieko didn't know what to do. Maybe if she kept her head down in this town…

Rieko. Rieko, can you hear me? Rieko. Rieko!

The girl froze when she heard that voice in her head. More memories were triggered awake.

Keep Moving