Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Purgatory ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The bright sun poured into the living room through the window. Milly squeezed her eyes shut tighter against its intrusion, then, remembering the light heralded a new workday, groaned. She was still exhausted, and achy from curling up on the couch. And why the heck was the stereo on?

In a flash she remembered everything that had happened the previous night, and suddenly she felt wide awake. Her eyes flew open and she was blinded by the morning.

“Aiiiiiii….” she yelled, and ran to close the curtains. Glancing at the clock, she saw the time: 7:58. Nice to know that biological alarm was still working. She wouldn’t be late if she hurried.

The shower was scalding and brutal, just the way she liked it. The hot water beat down on her skin, washing away any sleepy residue along with the previous day’s grime. Leaning against the tiled wall, she allowed herself a few minutes to reflect on the last twelve hours.

The water turned cold, cruelly returning her to reality. She had lost track of time, lost in daydreams.

Hopping out, Milly dressed in minutes. She took a little bit longer with her makeup…what the heck? You never know who you’re gonna meet, she giggled.

She closed and locked the front door, virtually running to the car. She looked around before getting in, not quite sure what she expected to see. Nicholas was long gone. Oddly, she did notice a stranger up the street.

A tall figure in white stood in the distance staring at her. Well, it could be her imagination. Her parents always told her she had a good one. But she felt positive that she was right--the feeling of being watched was overpowering now that she had noticed the--man? Woman? She wasn’t sure but the figure commanded attention. She didn’t feel threatened, not exactly, but definitely uneasy. She sensed an authority that frightened her.

Realizing she had been staring back, she quickly opened the door of the car and jumped in. Not even taking the time to glance in the rearview mirror, she threw the vehicle into reverse, and, praying there was no one behind her, squealed out of her parking spot.

She turned left instead of right, hoping if she took the long way to the lot’s exit the person would be gone when she reached the street. Even as the thought crossed her mind, she knew she was wrong--he would be there. He’ll be standing there, I won’t be able to escape, she thought in a panic, not even sure what she was afraid of.

Milly needn’t have worried. The stranger, whoever it was, was gone.

More relieved than she cared to admit, she sped up the hill, running the yellow light to get onto the main avenue. Trying to shake off the chill that had spoiled her mood, she flipped on the radio. As she let the familiar melody soothe her, she heard a low voice interrupt the signal--”Where is he?”

Looking at the radio, she fiddled with the tuner, and switched stations.

“Where is he?” she heard again. It sounded like the voice was in her head. It was louder, harsher this time. Annoyed, she turned off the radio in exasperation as she got on the ramp for the interstate. And the voice stayed silent for the rest of her drive to the office.