Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Tolerant Patience ❯ Cooking With Lin ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Notes:

HYAH! HUYH!.. Bakabakabakabakabakabakabkabkabakabakbak.!! *screams* ... O.o I sounded like a chicken.. *laughs*

Disclaimer: I found the copyrights! .. Studio Madhouse, and Tokuma Shoten ©1998-2003. ©2000-2003 by Pioneer Entertainment.. see, see!! *points* lookit!! It belongs to them not me!!


!!
Look out for Japanese words, and honoratives !!:

Onee-chan -- Older sister; Oneesan may be used also.

Baka -- remember it means "idiot, moron, etc."; Lin emphasized it to try to express exactly how much of a baka Duo was being in her mind.

Gomen na-really shorthand way of saying "Sorry."

(Insert name)-chan - A hard one to explain. It can be used to describe something cute or small, but it is generally used on little kids. But implications can mean anything from being a close friend to a lover. You shouldn't put it on guys unless you want to be punched. *clears throat* Unless of course, he's your boyfriend. Little kids, being called (name)-chan, may start emulating everyone with (name)-chan; That's why there are different ways to say older brother, older sister, etc. Then again.. it could mean that you're close to your siblings.

Pronunciation Key:

'Onee-chan' is "Oh-nehh-chahn".

Gomen na is "Goh-mehn nah".

'(Insert name)-chan' is "(Insert name)-chahn".

Editor's notes: Ermm.. what was I going to say?.. eh... darn.. *snaps her fingers* oh yeah! Tunafish and Peas is an actual pretty cheap dish to make, but the way I say to make it is not the original recipe.. actually you use two cans of Campbell's cream of mushroom and two cans of tunafish in water, with a small bag of small sweet peas. You cook the canned stuff first with a little bit of water and then add the peas 15 minutes later. Then you put it on buttered toast or eat it like a soup. Yummm…

Err.. Sangraal, is the Holy Grail if you didn't know, but I thought it was appropriate for the context. I don't know what types of religion are on Gunsmoke.. but I know at least Christianity and/or Catholicism are there.. haven't seen much evidence for anything else. If someone saw anything else, or would like to point out anything, please let me know what I missed 'cause it's silly if those were the only religions. I mean, we have a whole planet here! I'lll probably have to make something up if it's necessary for the plot.

On with story!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I ran after Duo.

Cooking, just great.

I abhor it.

"Oneechan! I love your cooking! Make me more... please, please!!" A little boy no older than six smiled.

Every time I cooked.

It reminded me of what I had lost.

I slowed to a crawl when I finally made it to the pantry, which was quite aways from the house... Luckily it was untouched.

Of course, that would have made my life easier if it had been destroyed......

"Soo... I beat ya here, hee. <3"
Grinning, Duo gave me a look as if to ask, 'So? Now what?'

I rolled my eyes at him.

He obviously wasn't planning on actually cooking.

That manipulative...
I gritted my teeth, forcing a smile on my face. "Go start the stove."

He nodded and ran off to start the family-sized four-burner gas stove/grill that we usually dragged outdoors for barbecues.

What would be an easy dish to make--?

I looked at the empty shelves. When were they going to do a shopping run? O_O() .. wow.

Well, looks like the only thing I can make is Tunafish and Peas...

If we have any fish that is...

A couple cups of flour. Yep.
I measured them out into a small plastic container.

A half gallon of water. Yep.
I took a flimsy jug.

Salt. Uh-huh.
Off the shelf and onto the floor, the tube-like container went.

5 large potatoes.
I scooped them out of the box next to me.
Check.

Peas? Hmm.. I could go to the garden to get some...

Alright, for the main ingredient: tunafish.

Fish.. I almost laughed at the thought.
That strange word.
I had only heard of it like the Sangraal.

It was very, very expensive and only super rich aristocrats could get it.

Because those creatures lived in water, the very thing this dry wasteland didn't have much of.

I opened the freezer. But here are some frozen, already cleaned pieces.

I grabbed a bag of 'munchies', bite-size pieces that had been trimmed off the fish after the filets were cut off.
No need to waste effort cutting up perfectly full-sized ones.

Closing the freezer door, I opened the refrigerator and pulled out a glass jar of milk.

I placed these next to my other ingredients.

Then I pulled out and set aside two pots, a humongous one and a smaller one with their partnering lids, a large bowl, some hand mittens, and some spare kitchen utensils.

I frowned at the pile of stuff.
There's no way I'm gonna be able to carry this all out in one trip.

I stacked the utensils and mittens into the bowl, placed that into the smaller pot. Sidling that on my right side, I grabbed the lids and stuck them in the larger pot, grabbed a handle and flung it along my back.

Balancing these things I walked outside, and I-CRASH--… bumped into Genrou--

"Idiot!! What the hell were doing right outside the door! I could've used your help carrying all this stuff!!...!!" I continued ranting at him as I began picking up my stuff and re-stacking..

--he looked flustered as usual. I didn't understand him. He always looked like that, often of late.

"Ahhhh... I was.. ahhmm.. waitin' fer ya to get out o' there so I could help ya out..." He continued babbling.

Ignoring him, I once again picked up my stuff carefully.

He usually doesn't talk this much when Duo's around. What the heck is his problem?

I cut him off. "Look Genrou, I got work to do. Could you go in there and get my ingredients. I don't want the milk or fish spoiling!"

The fish would have to thaw before spoiling, though. You don't have to be that harsh.

Brushing past him, I quickly made my way over to the stove that was on a big slab of concrete.

Duo straightened from his crouching position.

"Need anything?" He asked.

For Genrou to stop jabbering, when I'm around him.
I nodded, handing him the bowl. "Go get me one bowl-full of peas. Clean and shuck them please."

Laughter. "Oneechan! We're going to the market today?"

I set out the utensils in a neat fashion.

" 'Ey!" I looked up to see Genrou, holding the ingredients in his arms, haphazardly. "Where do ya want me to put 'em?"

Without responding to him, I helped him take the food out of his arms.

I dumped some water into the smaller pot and set it to boil.

I picked up the paring knife I brought with me, never answering him, and immediately started peeling the potatoes.

"How do you tell which fruits are good and which ones are bad, Oneechan?" Curious brown eyes asked.

"Oh! Like this?!" They brightened with excitement.

"Yu're really quiet all o' a sudden."

I jerked my arm, almost slicing my finger off.

"GENROU!! Didn't I tell you before, not to startle me when I'm handling sharp, pointy objects?"

I really do not want to be stitched up, again!

He looked at me, obviously shocked at what he had almost accidentally caused, and then his face was crestfallen.

Why is he so sensitive? Damn it!

I went back to peeling the last potato. I minced each one, into the now boiling water, adding a handful of salt.

I set the temperature on low on the other two burners and mixed the flour, milk, some water, and a liberal amount of salt into the remaining pot. I placed this on those burners, since it was so big, and began to stir.

He sat there quietly, not saying a word.

The base liquid thickened.

Curious, I glanced at him.

He was watching at me.

I looked around, and opened the bag of fish with the knife. I diced the thawing pieces of fish into the bigger pot.

"Wow! Look at these clothes! Can I have them?" A pleading look.

The potatoes were ready. I placed the lid over them and drained the water outside the slab of rock.

Another glance. When did he move?

He's over leaning on the nearest tree, just out of earshot.

And he's still watching me.

I grabbed a masher and bashed the small chunks of small potatoes.

I dumped the thick slop into the broth, and then turned the knobs of the burners I were using to a higher temperature. I turned off the other two, and set the pot I used for the potatoes aside.

"Oneechan! LOOK OUT!!" A shove. CRASH

Blood.
A fading spark of life.
... Unseeing brown eyes.

The thudding of feet.

"Here's the-oh sorry."


I snapped out of my daze and there were the peas I requested, swimming in the simmering gunk. I smiled and thanked Duo.

"Lin, you okay?" He asked, worry in his eyes.

I nodded.

"Yeah, Duo..."

I felt the persistent itch between my shoulder blades.
"Is Genrou still staring at me?"

"Afraid he is. He cracks me up. He hates girls and women, yet gets along with you just fine..." He smiled.

"Because nobody, but you and Rin, know, moron!"

"Well, if you stopped binding your chest and acting like a guy, then you wouldn't have this problem."

"Yeah, and he would hate my guts for hanging out with him."
He'd probably be disgusted.

"I doubt that."

I narrowed my eyes. "What are you implying?"

Duo held his hands up in defense.
"Sheesh! He's near homophobic, but still getting all googly-eyed over his best friend, which would be you, who he doesn't know is actually a girl."
He crossed his arms.
"That's all I'm sayin'."

He what? Genrou... likes me?

He glanced away from me, grinning. "Ya might want to watch your cooking before it burns."

"CRAP!!" I jerked the protective mittens onto my hands and pulled the pot off of the stove. Duo turned off all the burners.

I stirred the thick soup vigorously. It wasn't burned, just slightly browned.

I set it next to me.
"But, he can't ever like me."

He says that my hair is too long for a guy. But I know it would be okay if he knew I were a girl.. but .. I can't just give up this habit easily.

He crossed his hands behind his head, elbows sticking out, and leaned over me, his braid swaying over.
"Did you say something?"

"BAA- KAAA!! He's always saying how ugly I look!" I yelled at him.

"Yeah, but then why does he spend all his time looking at you? I think, he's attempting to memorize your l'il, cute face permanently to his memory."
He winked devilishly at my now overly red face.
"And why are ya getting' so upset over it?"

"Hey! I do NOT like him." Hmph. What is trying to get at?

"I didn't ask you that... I asked you why were upset.." His grin grew wider, if possible.

Damn him.

"No. I don't know what you're talking about." I answered, snootily.

"Is that a pout??"

Glaring, I snorted back a laugh. "I am not pouting."

"Riiight. Well, I'll go chill with Gau. See ya, Lin." He threw another wink, and walked away.

I placed a lid onto the giant pot.

I heard footsteps behind me.

"Duo, if you're going to tease me some more, I suggest you leave before I kick your arse."

"Do ya need any help with that?"

Genrou.

I should have known.

"Yes. Here." I handed him one of my oven mitts, harshly. "Grab one end I'll get the other."

We plodded down the sidewalk road towards the house.

I knew everyone would want a piece of this. That's why I made so much.

"Ahoy there!!"

Eh?

Behind us, a man--Uncle Mat-- in his early thirties was waving his hands around wildly on some sort of new invention that had no handles or steering wheel. It had no engine either.

And he's heading straight for us.

"Uncle Maty!! Stop!" Moving quickly I tugged on my side of the pot over to the right side of the smooth rock path. I was kinda surprised that Genrou didn't trip or anything from my sudden change of direction.

Had his full attention been on me again? I blinked.
I wish he would stop it!!
My face tightened.

"Yo, Mad Mat! Wat'ch where yu're goin'!!"

Uncle Mat's board-on-wheels tripped and he went flying, landing into the soft grass.

He was flat on his face and his whole body was shaking.

I set my side of the pot down (Genrou quickly following my lead so that it didn't tip over.), running over to Uncle Maty's side.

"Uncle Mat! You okay?"

He rolled over, a big smile plastered onto his face.

The wacky scientist was giggling!!

"what a loon" a whisper next to my ear, echoing my thoughts. I jumped, jutting my elbow out by reflex, receiving a grunt.

Genrou... bent over holding his stomach.

Whoops.. My lips pursed. Ooooo.. I did not mean to do that.

I snapped.
"Dammit!! Why do you keep sneaking up on me like that!?"

A sound.
"What?" I barked out.

"Gomen na." A voice rasped out.

Wha..? He's apologizing??

I relaxed. "No, I'm sorry."
Shit, he shouldn't be apologizing. I mean, it wasn't really his fault that I naturally reacted to people like that within my personal space.

He took a deep wheeze of breath, stood up straighter, giving me a fang grin. "S'okay now."

I felt warm..

Stop blushing! I yelled at myself.

I bent my head down, letting my bangs cover up my face.

"Ahem.."

I turned to see Uncle Mat standing up brushing his pants and coat off a bit. Didn't help much. Green and brown stains littered across his clothing.

"Ya old nut, ya almost ra'n us o'er!! What th' hell do you think ya were doin'?!?"

He.. was pissed.

Mat blinked.
"I wasn't endeavoring to run you two over. Just testing a recreational appliance."

" 'N-devverin' nothin'!!" He was furious.

I put my hand in his face, interrupting what would soon be a tirade of insults.

"Jenny-chan, calm down."

Turning my chin towards him, I smiled, expecting to roll with the punch that would soon come at full force.

CRACK. My body twisted and hit the soft ground after I maneuvered around his punch.

I was extremely pleased. Split lip, but not a broken jaw or nose.

I jumped up just in case he wasn't done, hands up in defense.

His head down, shoulders trembling.

What?

Hands balled up tightly into fists. Arms at his sides, straight and stiff as a pole

He's never not finished a fight.

Voice soft, he asked quietly.
"Ya did that on purpose didn'cha?"

I flushed. Shit.

Why does he have to figure it out, now, of all times??

"Hmm.. hmm. hmmmm… What is that delicious food, I smell??"
Huh?

Oh, yes the pot of food!!

I could kiss the geezer.

Face coloring banished, I perked up.
"Ohhh!! That's the food that Rin asked me to make!"

I grabbed both pairs of oven mitts scattered on the ground, thrust one pair into his hands and yanked mine on.

"Here, you-take-this-side-I'll-get-the-other.-Hey-Genrou, could-ya-clean-up-the-mess-I-made?-Thanks-for-helping-me!"

Hurry, must get food to Rin!

Jogging, nearly running, with Mat in tow, I slowed down. Already at the back door.

Why am I in such a fricking hurry?

....?

..!

FU**.

I like him.