Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ When Darkness Prevails ❯ Three Years Later ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

When Darkness Prevails:
 
 
 
Chapter 2: Three Years Later
 
 
 
She had no worries, no complaints. No thoughts whatsoever, except that she must have been dreaming, because she had never felt so content in all of her life. It also seemed as if a warm soothing liquid was completely cocooning her within its embrace. It left nothing untouched as tiny bursts of energy made her body tingle all over. The sensation not unpleasant, the exact opposite in fact, she noted as her muddled mind became more coherent with every passing moment. Then, amidst the ever clearing haze, her analytical mind had finally kicked in, telling her that it wasn't a dream at all.
 
Wouldn't it be impossible to float completely underwater, breathing like she would on solid ground? Also, where could she possibly be to accomplish such a feat? Perhaps it was New Miami, the only place on Gunsmoke where pools of water were aplenty. No, that definitely wasn't it. Someone would have pulled her up from the crystal clear depths if she were slowly sinking to the bottom. Besides, she wasn't drowning, that much was apparent. But, what could it be then? A dream, it just had to be, but why did she feel so awake?
 
In her state of confusion, she decided that a test was in order.
 
Slowly, tentatively, she started to raise her right arm in preparation to pinch the left. As far as she could tell the arm really moved, something she wouldn't have been aware of if she were still sleeping. Not to mention that the liquid seemed heavier than water, like nothing she had ever experienced before. Nonetheless, just because it seemed like it moved didn't mean that it actually did. So using her thumb and index finger, the woman proceeded to pinch her bicep, hard.
 
Ouch! she internally groused, right before her eyes shot open.
 
Where in the hell am I? her mind screamed, her hand instantly moving to clutch her bare chest while startled eyes took everything in. She was submerged in a bluish liquid inside what appeared to be a giant test tube or, more specifically, a miniature Plant bulb. Oh my God, she then thought in a panic as she focused in on what was happening beyond the glass container.
 
People, in what she assumed were white lab coats, were standing before a console. One of them, a young man, was furiously typing on a keyboard while the other three were staring back at her. Their expressions were a mixture of awe and trepidation, which only made her own anxiousness skyrocket, since she had absolutely no clue as to what was happening. Where was she? Why was she in a Plant bulb, stuck in blue goo and able to breathe in it? Was she unknowingly subjected to some sort of sick and twisted experiment? And what about her partner, where was she? And Vash….
 
“Please, Miss Stryfe… you need to calm down.”
 
A voice, soothing, feminine, floated through her head right before the double doors on the opposite end of the room slid open, revealing three more people. In the forefront was a young woman, tall, athletic with what she assumed was blonde hair, and two men, one with crew cut darkish hair, a goatee and glasses, while the other was bald and noticeably shorter than the two. Wait, didn't she know him? However, before she could discern who the shorter gentleman was, she heard the same voice again.
 
“Everything will be all right.”
 
“What is going on? Where am I?” Meryl couldn't help but think back, still in a panic, to the voice in her head. Maybe she was nuts and they put her in some sort of chamber to keep her from harming others. It most certainly felt that way. After all, chasing Vash the Stampede all over the outer could easily drive anyone to madness!
 
“No, you aren't insane,” the voice answered back, mirth apparent. With wide eyes, Meryl watched as the blonde separated from the two men and approached the spherical chamber. Then without so much as a pause, the woman stepped up and placed both of her palms upon the glass. A feeling of comfort immediately enveloped Meryl putting her, once again, at ease.
 
“And don't worry, all of your questions will be answered,” the woman telepathically said, while smiling to reassure the confined insurance girl. “Once we remove you from the regeneration sphere and have you properly seen to.”
 
“But…,” Meryl persisted. She couldn't wait. She needed to know what happened and now! “Why am I in here? And where's Milly? Is she okay? She's here too, right? And what happened to Vash?”
 
“Yes, Milly is here and doing just fine,” she replied, before her expression turned somber. “We didn't make it in time and almost lost you two. So, that's why you're in there. It was the only way to keep you with us.
 
“What?” The petite woman was desperately trying to remember what happened. Her memories were terribly cloudy and couldn't recall much of anything. As a matter of fact, the last thing she could remember was talking to their landlord and Milly's foreman, which, if she remembered correctly, was in their tiny home and right after they struck water. Something must have happened afterward. The sudden knotting in her belly was telling her as much, but she just did know what it was. “What happened? Why can't I remember?”
 
“It's the medication we've been giving you. It's helping you suppress the memories. Once we get you out of there, they will return… unfortunately.
 
“But what happened? Please, just answer that for me!” she once again persisted, pleading for a straight answer.
 
The woman sighed and closed her blue eyes. At least they appeared to be blue, even with the color of the liquid tinting them. After Vash the Stampede left you were attacked by two of Millions Knives' subordinates -
 
“And we were severely injured weren't we,” Meryl hastily interrupted, the feeling of foreboding washing through her. Somehow she knew that it was entirely more than that.
 
“No…, the blonde corrected before opening her eyes, sadness and remorse etched all over her features. “Clinically, you were dead….
 
“How am I alive, then?” she whispered, intuition was telling her it was true.
 
“I brought you back by channeling Plant energy into you. It was the only way.
 
“I don't understand any - wait, are you a Plant, too?
 
Yes, Miss Stryfe, I am. And I know you don't understand. But I promise, once you're out of there, we will explain everything to you,” she advised Meryl again, before removing her hands from the glass and turning to nod to the people behind her.
 
“Wait, one more thing,” Meryl quickly asserted before the woman could sever the link. “Could you tell me your name?”
 
It's Chronica.”
 
 
 
*~*~*
 
 
 
It seemed to take forever, but finally after about a million keystrokes from the man sitting in front of the console and the scurrying about of the remaining lab technicians, the enhanced liquid oxygen compound (aka the blue goo) was slowly drained from the regeneration sphere. Then Meryl was immediately removed from its confines by the techs only to horribly retch the remaining fluid from her system onto the sterile white floor just as soon as she stepped upon it. Of course, it wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't for the fact that she was completely naked. Well, if you didn't include the thin layer of slime that covered her petite frame. Unfortunately, it was completely transparent, so it really didn't matter, anyway.
 
However, after that embarrassing and seemingly never ending episode, the rest of the day flew by for the petite woman. She was whisked away by two more lab technicians, who were fortunately female, where she was thoroughly bathed before being subjected to a complete physical evaluation.
 
Every inch of her body was examined, inside and out, while being poked and prodded at the same time. Scans (also inside and out) were taken and the astute ladies even looked into/took samples from every possible orifice. They even extracted every fluid possibly found in a human's body, something else that would have made Meryl grouse to no end, if she wasn't in complete and utter shock. Then before she knew it, the two had her completing various tasks and activities, from solving seemingly difficult geometric puzzles (though for some reason they were really easy for her) to running in place on something that was called a treadmill.
 
Hours had passed since she was awakened that morning. At least she assumed it was morning. Though, Meryl wasn't entirely sure, since she remained in some sort of highly advanced medical unit up until about twenty minutes ago. The two women then escorted her through a series of long, concave metal hallways to some sort of apartment and told her that it was hers. She was obviously surrounded by lost technology, a fallen ship even. Maybe even the one they visited in New Oregon back when they caught back up with Vash. At least, that was what her logic was telling her. That was where she had met the short bald man, Doc, after all.
 
But if they were there, then why weren't they telling her anything? It just didn't make sense, especially since her missing memories hadn't returned yet. Only flashes of flames and gunfire had emerged so far. And what about Milly, Meryl wondered while absently playing with her long inky black hair. She hadn't even seen her yet, but that woman, Chronica, said that she was fine. So, why hadn't the big-girl come to see her then? Not to mention, why was her hair so long? It was halfway down her back and completely unmanageable!
 
With a sigh, the frustrated woman pulled a hair tie (compliments of one of the medical assistants) from the pocket of her soft gray leggings, slipping it into her mouth before plaiting her hair into a loose braid. Once she had the silky locks somewhat restrained, she pulled the band from her mouth and securely tied it at the end while mumbling, “At least this warm up suit is comfy.”
 
The cotton blend of the outfit felt like a dream, lightweight and comfortable with a touch of stretch to it so that it wouldn't become crumpled from wear. Even after the vigorous workout they had subjected her to the outfit smelled fresh and looked as if she just put it on. And now that she thought about it, Meryl realized that it kept her reasonably cool while performing all of the calisthenics, too. “Why couldn't my traveling gear be made of something like this?” she lightly complained, while unzipping the matching jacket before pulling it off, revealing a fitted white tank top in the process.
 
Unsure of what to do next, she absently slung the jacket over the back of one the white kitchenette chairs before walking across the open floor to the small sitting area on the opposite wall. The sofa and matching chair were squat and rectangular, while the upholstery was the color of steel, which severely contrasted with the stark white wall behind them. Stepping around the glass coffee table and chair, she stiffly sat in the middle sofa while contemplating what her next plan of action would be.
 
Nervous energy was coursing through her petite frame. She hated the unknown and it was showing as she rapidly tapped her fingers against her thighs and wide gray eyes flitted about the room. But, what could she do to ease the anxiety? Unfortunately, absolutely nothing, except calmly wait things out. So with another sigh, Meryl stilled her fingers and closed her eyes before taking a deep calming breath. And for one moment she felt tension fade. But then the next moment came….
 
“Urrr…,” she growled before launching up from the seat and nimbly hopping over the coffee table where she proceeded to pace like a caged animal. She was going absolutely stir crazy and it had only been about five minutes since she was dropped off. “What the hell is going on?” she yelled to no one as she shot her fists in to the air, trying her best to vent some frustration. It didn't work too well as expletives started to fly with every fling of a hand.
 
All she wanted were some answers and just when she thought that she was going to have to wait an eternity, the door to her quarters slid open right before a loud squeal erupted throughout the room.
 
“Semmmpppai!”
 
The next thing Meryl knew, she was wrapped up in the strong, comforting arms of one Milly Thompson.
 
“Milly…,” She breathed in relief, eagerly returning the hung.
 
“Oh Sempai, I was so worried,” Milly rushed right before the tears started to fall and the dam broke. “Miss Chronica said that you were really in a fret right after you had awoken and that I couldn't come to see you, and I really, really wanted to, too! But, she said that it would only make things worse, because I was so upset and she didn't want to make you worse because of my blubbering. It's been three days, ya' know! And I suppose she was right because I really was a mess, too. But, now your fine and I'm fine and we're together again, huh Sempai!”
 
“Uhhh… right, Milly,” Meryl awkwardly replied, only catching a couple of words from her partner's weepy admission. But, then something that Milly spouted finally clicked. “Wait,” she began while pulling away from the bear hug and looking up into tear filled blue eyes. “Did you just say three days? Is that how long I was in the sphere?”
 
“Oh gosh no, Sempai,” the big-girl replied, innocently blinking over the questions. As if she couldn't believe that Meryl actually asked them. Then with a cock of her head, she added, “I was taken out three days ago and that's how long I waited for you.”
 
“Oh… Well… how long were we in there?”
 
“You mean you don't know?”
 
“I wouldn't have asked if I did, Milly!” Meryl bit out, while crossing her arms over her chest in obvious irritation. She really didn't mean to act so “bitchy,” but she had been left in the dark for far too long and it was really grating on her nerves!
 
“Oh right,” she chirped, completely unfazed by her partner's attitude. “Well, from what Mr. Doc and Miss Chronica told me, it's been almost three years since we were placed in the light bulb thingies and -”
 
“Hold on!” the short-girl immediately interrupted, while flinging her hands up to her head. She instantly buried them into the black hair and lightly pulled, making some of the strands fall out of the loose braid. Then closing her eyes, she incredulously asked, “Did you just say three years?”
 
“Ahhh… yep!”
 
“Oh my God!” Meryl then whispered, her eyes snapping open as she studied her best friend's features to verify what had just been revealed. “Oh. My. God,” she repeated, stressing each word, after seeing the truth behind Milly's words etched all over her features.
 
She just couldn't believe it! Three years had truly passed since the day that Kuronika had said that they were attacked by Knives' subordinates. If that was the case, then what happened to Vash? Did he beat Knives or get himself killed in the process? And if he was alive, did he know what happened to both Milly and herself, or did he think that they were dead? All were questions that Meryl desperately wanted to know the answers to and she couldn't hold off from asking them.
 
“Milly, do you know what happened to Vash? Is he okay? Please tell me that he's here somewhere scarfing down doughnuts or chasing after every busty female showing too much cleavage because they're wearing a push-up bra!”
 
“Errr… well… ahhh… no… he isn't here, Meryl….”
 
“Then where is he?”
 
“I-I don't know how to tell you… exactly,” Milly muttered quietly, her expression becoming somber.
 
Meryl saw the big-girl's face turn bleak as fresh tears started to well up in her sad blue eyes. And in that very moment, the short-girl realized that her worst fears had become a startling reality. Something horrible happened to her Vash.
 
“Is he -” she choked out before stopping for a moment, trying to come up with the courage to finish the question. Then with a shuddering breath, she tried again, “Is he dead, Milly?”
 
“No, he isn't.” The telepathic voice of Chronica interrupted, right before the door to the apartment slid open and she, along with Doc and the other gentleman from earlier, stepped through the entrance. “But, he isn't the same person that you were assigned to,” she added out loud as the three moved to stand in front of the insurance girls. “I think it's time to fill you in on what has happened over the past three years.”
 
“Well, it's about damn time!”