Tsubasa Chronicle Fan Fiction ❯ Sacrifices for a Broken Future ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sacrifices for a Broken Future
 
Summary: What would you do if you could change the future? Would you give up your entire life? What if you didn't have a choice?
Characters: Fai D. Flowright + Kurogane
Rating: T
Genre: Fantasy/Adventure/Angst
Copyright: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle belongs to Clamp. Any other recognizable media belongs to their respective owners.
Crossovers: Card captor Sakura- Clamp; xxxHolic- Clamp
Couples: KuroFai, SyaoSaku
Author's Notes: Someone said that the scenes weren't flowing very well. This is because as I write the scenes I am reading the chapters that go along with it. So I am only doing the scenes that can be rewritten with the new Fai. So until I hit a point where I have to do every scene I suggest you read the chapters for it to make sense. Don't have the books, go here: www.mangafox.com Also, during this chapter I will not be doing the world with the furry little creatures as that was a very straight-forward world and can't really be changed.
Last Time: `Why did you have to leave, Syaoran-kun? You just had to take my hand.' That was the day everything changed. That was the day Li Syaoran died.
===
Kurogane sighed as he watched the blonde. “Mage, last night…” he stopped when his own glass shattered. He frowned. “Mage?” Fai turned and held his gaze for the first time that day. “I don't know what you mean, Kuro-sama.” He whispered coldly.
===
He watched as Syoaran stood up after he was done with breakfast and reached out, grabbing the boy's arm. “Fai-san?” the blonde stared at the boy for a long moment before he whispered, “Don't think it's so noble to just keep silent and think no one can understand.”
===
“It's true for you too. You don't have to suffer alone. We won't blame you if you cry.” Fai froze, his eyes widening. Slowly he gave a sad smile and looked away. “So you can sense it? The sadness in my heart?” he asked, one hand clutching at his shirt.
===
Seishiro laughed slightly. “You said that Syoaran's survival was important. What would you do to insure it?” Fai looked over at Sakura. “Even if their not the original's, even if their nothing more than copies,” He met Seishiro's eyes evenly. “I would give my life to protect them!”
===
Yuko smiled slightly. “So he has reappeared in the real world. Trapped inside that game the spells couldn't activate. But now those two have awakened. Just like me, they remember the future.” She stood and tuned to stare up at the sky. “It all rests on you now, Fai.”
===
“Talking”
`Thinking'
“Talking through Mokona”
 
Chapter 5-
 
Blue eyes slid slowly open. Fai groaned and pushed himself up, pressing a hand to his head. “Uh, I knew I should have killed him.” He drew back and stared at his hand, letting his magic surround it. “But my magic works in reverse so I can't waste it. The more I use it, the less I have. And I need as much as possible for when Ashura awakens again.”
 
He looked up and took a deep breath. “But I won't let that man leave without a warning.” He smiled darkly.
==============================================================
He watched as the boy slowly woke up and knocked on the glass egg Syoaran was in. “Syoaran-kun! Wake Up!!!” He sang, smiling at the brunette. “Fai-san!” Syaoran shouted in glee, pressing against the glass. “You're alive!”
 
Fai nodded and helped the boy out of the capsule. “I'm not that easy to kill, Syoaran-kun. I just wish I had the freedom to use my magic, but the situation I was in, that would have been a waste.” He laughed and stretched. “But wait till I see that man again. Now that we're in the real world.”
 
Syoaran looked up at him. “Real…world?” he asked. Fai smiled and pushed a door open. “Yeah, Oto is merely a game, an illusion. We're actually in Fairy Park in the country of Edonis.” He stated.
=============================================================
Fai's eyes widened and he ran out, staring at the scene before him. “Oto…Oto's here!” he shouted to the two behind him. “This isn't good.” Chitose muttered. Fai's eyes narrowed before he grinned. “I see the Big Puppy!” He stated in glee. He looked lower and his smile disappeared. “Sakura-chan!”
 
He ran hurriedly down the steps towards where he could see Sakura. “Sakura-chan!” he shouted. He stepped next to the man holding the princess and held out his arms to take her. “I'll hold her.” He whispered. The man nodded and handed Sakura over.
 
Syoaran came to his side once he had disentangled himself from Ryou's embrace. “Is she okay?” Fai swept a piece of hair out of the girl's face and smiled softly. “She's alright. Just asleep. It appears she's still not at her best yet.” Syoaran relaxed. “That's good.”
 
Fai nodded and smiled at Mokona. “We're okay.” He stated, holding his hand out. Mokona smiled and jumped into his hand, running up his arm and nuzzling into his neck. “That's good. But Kurogane…”
 
Fai looked up and glared when he saw the man Kurogane was fighting. “That man is starting to get on my nerves.” He snarled. He shifted his grip on Sakura, magic gathering at his fingertips. At that moment an arrow flew from Mokona's mouth. “Wah! An arrow came from your mouth, Mokona!” Fai stated, grinning.
 
Kurogane turned to them and stared. “It's you guys!” he shouted. Fai smiled and waved. “Kuro-chi! Yoo-hoo! We're back!” Kurogane glared. “Use my name, idiot!”
 
Seishiro smiled at them. “It's good to see you two made it back here safely.” Syoaran stared at the man while Fai smiled darkly. “I guess we have you to thank for that.” He stated. Once again magic gathered at his fingertips and he carefully shaped the spell. “But still, consider this your warning.” He called up to the man. The spell flew from his hand.
 
Seishiro jumped away. “So there it is. That magic of yours.” He moved to the side again, the spell brushing past his shoulder. He stiffened momentarily, Fai's voice echoing in his head. `If you even try to hurt them again, I will tear you apart piece by little piece. I have lost too much and have too little time to let you screw things up. This is your only warning.' The rest of the spell hit the rocks behind him and exploded.
 
The man turned and stared at the blonde. He smiled. “Your quite protective of them, aren't you?” Fai grinned. “One warning only.” He stated.
 
Everyone's eyes widened when the feather activated in Seishiro's chest. “That's Sakura's feather!” Syoaran shouted. Fai's eyes widened and he grabbed the boy's wrist when he tried to run after his former teacher. “Syoaran-kun, you can't beat him.”
 
Syoaran turned to him. “I have to try! I made a promise to get back the feathers!” Fai growled and wrote out a spell, sliding it onto Syoaran's forehead. “That will only protect you for 5 minutes.” He smiled softly. “I'm not good with protection spells.”
 
Syoaran stared at him wide-eyed for a moment before he nodded. “Alright. Thank you.” Fai smiled and let the boy go. `All I can do is give him as much help as possible before he starts fighting. That was the way it always was with Syoaran. With both of them.'
 
“Fai…” He looked down and smiled at Mokona. “Yes?” Mokona stared at him. “Fai said he wouldn't use his magic.” Fai looked down. “I know. But some promises are meant to be broken. Others never should have been made.” He placed one hand on Mokona's head. “I will no longer hold any regrets for the actions I take from this point onward.”
 
He looked back at the two as they fought. “I have hope for the future.” He whispered, eyes closed. “Let's have faith in those children's hearts.”
 
He sighed slightly as Seishiro started to disappear into the next world. The man turned his head briefly and smiled at Fai. “And I'm sure that blonde will do everything he can to protect you and your group. Even if it means his life. Even if it means his body and soul, I'm sure he will protect you.” Fai nodded at the man's words. `No matter who or what I have to give up, we will all be there at the end of the journey. I swear it!'
============================================================
As they left that world with the weird animals Yuko's voice drifted through his head. `Fai…' Fai frowned. `What is it?'
 
`When you arrive in the next world I will still have to send you to the past. When this time comes please use your magic to lock on to Kurogane so you will go with them.' Fai frowned. `Why would I need to do that? I didn't have to last time.' His frown deepened when Yuko merely repeated her request. `Alright, but I don't see the point.'
============================================================
Fai sighed as he walked around the shrine with Kurogane. “The fact that we're still able to communicate means that Mokona's not far. But still, I'm worried about the kids. The fact that we were separated before we could even learn anything about this world doesn't help much either.” He looked over at his companion. “What do you think, Kuro-tan?”
 
The ninja shrugged. “They'll be fine. The kid won't let anything happen to them.” Fai laughed, “I guess your right. I'm just worrying over nothing.” Kurogane glanced over at him. “It's okay to worry. The fact that you are, you've changed.”
 
Fai smiled. “Really?” The darker of the two stopped and looked at him. “In that world, you used magic. Not just to help the kid but to attack that man. Why?” The blonde shrugged. “It's not a promise I can really keep. I'd be forced to use it eventually, I'm sure of that.” He stated calmly. “But don't expect me to start using magic at every turn. It's still just a last resort.”
 
Kurogane glared at him. “Idiot.” He stated. Fai laughed. “Hm, I guess. Hey, did you notice something wrong with that last world?” He asked, easily changing the subject.
========================================================
Later that night he calmly listened to the explanation given to him by the shrine priest. He waited until the man had left before he turned and smiled sadly at the statue. “Calamity, misfortune, bad luck. Why is it that people are so afraid of those words?” he asked, his hands clenching into fists. “Why do they cause people to do things without thought, without question to their own reasoning?” Blood slowly leaked down his palms. “Why do they cause people such pain?” he whispered. `Fai-nii…it seems that no matter the world those cursed words still cause fear and pain.'
================================================================< /div>
Fai stared around at the bottles littering the floor. “We drank right through the night!” He turned his head and smiled at Kurogane. “You've looked like you wanted to say something to me for a while. What is it?”
 
Kurogane glared t him. “For some reason I have a feeling you won't tell the truth.” The mage grinned. “You never know till you ask. After all, you're the one who said I changed.” The ninja stared for a minute. “Last night, you got upset when that man mentioned the statue causing calamity. Why?”
 
Fai looked down. “It's because I've seen it. What those cursed words can cause people to do.” He whispered. The door opened. He turned and smiled at their host. “Good Morning!” He greeted brightly. He was all too aware of Kurogane's eyes boring in to him.
================================================================< /div>
Fai stared at the large rip in the sky, remembering Yuko's request. `I don't understand it but Yuko-san must have asked for a reason.' He sent his magic out and used it to lock on to Kurogane. When the ninja left this world he'd be pulled along.
 
He turned his head and frowned when he saw the group of men they were staying with rallying together. He glared at the men, his magic reacting to his anger. He didn't notice it when his eyes started to glow with the power of his magic. Kurogane stared at him with a frown. Fai only calmed when the priest stepped forward and stopped them.
 
He turned to follow the man but stopped and turned to glare at the men once more. “You should think about your actions. Take a minute and think about the pain your causing those girls. The pain caused by a supposed calamity.” He turned and started to walk away, leaving only his words behind. “I wonder which one is the true calamity; you people wanting to blame others for every bad thing in your world or an inanimate statue whose only power comes from an old legend that may or may not be true.”
 
As he walked to the room with the Yasha statue Kurogane leaned over and whispered. “It really bothers you, doesn't it? The idea of calamity.” Fai turned his head and gazed at the man coolly. “I lost someone very important to me because people thought he brought misfortune.” He stated.
=====================================================
Fai was going to kill Yuko the next time he saw her. He groaned, rolling over to stare at the sky above him. “It looks like we're in another world.” He stated. Kurogane stiffened next to him and turned to him with wide eyes.
 
Fai's own eyes when he heard Kurogane speak in his own language something that he immediately translated to `what'. `No way in hell am I doing that again!' He reached forward and pressed one hand to Kurogane's forehead. He wrote the spell out carefully and pulled away once he was done. “Can you understand me?” he asked.
 
Kurogane frowned for a minute before a look of relief swept over his features and he nodded. Fai smiled softly. “That's good. At least we'll be able to understand each other. Everyone else is off though. Sorry.”
 
Kurogane nodded, standing up. “Come on. Let's see if we can find a town or something.” Fai grinned and pushed himself up. Almost immediately his smile faded and a wave of nausea swept over him. He winced, sinking back to his knees. “Wha…?” he asked.
 
Kurogane knelt next to him and placed a hand on his shoulder. “Mage, you okay?” Fai started to nod and then shook his head. “I don't feel good.” He whispered, one arm wrapping around his stomach. Kurogane snorted. “I think that's obvious.”
 
Fai laughed. His laughter turned quickly into coughs. “Oh, bad idea. Don't make me laugh.” He whispered softly. Shivers started to whack his form and he frowned, his other arm coming up to press against his head. “Something's wrong.” His sight started to darken around the edges. `This didn't happen the first time. What's wrong with me?' he thought.
 
What was left of his vision started to swim. “Kuro…gane…”He whispered, slumping forward. Kurogane's eyes widened and he caught the blonde. “Oi, mage. Mage! Fai!” he shouted shaking the blonde. Fai didn't respond.
=======================================================
When Fai came to he was in a tent of some sort, staring up at a white ceiling. “Where…” his memories came back to him and he shot up. “Kurogane!” he shouted. He winced slightly, wrapping one arm around his stomach. “Ah, ow.” He whispered.
 
A snort came from his left and he turned his head to stare at the woman leaning against the doorway. She raised an eyebrow. “I take it you won't be doing that again.” She stated, walking forward.
 
Fai smiled slightly. “No sudden movements. Got it.” She smiled at him. “It's good your up. Your friend was starting to get annoying.” Fai blinked. “Kurogane? Where is he? Is he alright?” She arched an eyebrow. “He's fine. I think you're even more worried than he was and I thought that wasn't possible.”
 
Fai relaxed and smiled calmly. “I made a promise to do everything I could to protect the people I care about.” He stated softly. “Where am I?” The woman turned back to him. “Yasha-ou's camp. I believe your friend is speaking with Yasha-ou now about you two staying at the camp.”
 
Fai nodded. He already knew how it would turn out. They'd join the army.
================================================================= ===
Kurogane stared at the blonde in annoyance. Fai was staring out a window at the sky, holding his necklace in cupped hands. The mage wasn't sleeping well. “The kids will be fine, mage.”
 
Fai turned to him and smiled slightly. “I know. Syoaran-kun won't let anything happen to them. Still,” he looked away. “It's been 3 months.” He whispered, staring up at the sky. `It's going to be another three till they get here. Even though I know it's just because we were thrown earlier ahead than them, even though I know their not in a world at all, I can't help but worry.'
 
He knew that Kurogane was worried about him. The ninja thought he wasn't sleeping well. That wasn't true. He wasn't sleeping at all. He stayed up at the night, silently counting the days until the kids reappeared and he could relax and not worry about their well-being. He hadn't slept in about a month. He counted himself lucky that Kurogane wasn't yet aware of his inability to sleep. He probably get yelled at.
 
He sighed and clutched his necklace tighter. `I hope they hurry.'
================================================================= ==
The tension finally broke when he was injured in battle two weeks later. It wasn't that bad a wound, merely a small gash against his arm. But Kurogane was right. It never should have happened. He watched sadly as the man yelled at him, pacing back and forth in the room they shared.
 
Finally, when he could no longer take the yelling he whispered. “I'm sorry.” Despite how soft his voice was Kurogane stopped immediately. “What?” Fai turned his head further away. “I'm sorry. I really am. I didn't mean to make you worry.”
 
Kurogane sighed and sat next to him on the bed. “I know that. But still, you gotta pay attention out there. I don't want to have to deal with the princess's crying when she hears you died because of carelessness.” Fai chuckled softly. “I'll be careful. I promise.”
 
Kurogane grabbed the arm with the wound. “How's your arm?” Fai smiled. “It'll heal easily enough. I should still be able to use a bow.” Kurogane nodded and inspected the bandages. “You do this?” he asked.
 
The blonde nodded. “Yes.” The ninja shook his head and reached for the first aid pack they had. “Not bad for one hand. Still sucks though.” Fai laughed. “Was that a complement or an insult?” Kurogane grinned at him as he unwound the bandages. “Little of both actually.”
 
Fai laughed again, watching as the man carefully redid the bandages with skilled hands. He smiled softly. “Thank you.” He whispered. Kurogane nodded absently. “Whatever.”
 
Fai smiled softly. Despite how much he was worried he thought that the time spent in Yama was going much better than the first time. He could lean on Kurogane this time if he had to.
===============================================================
A few months later and he felt ready to rip his hair out. Where were they? Fai sighed and stared dully at the sunset. `Just a little longer.' He thought. Then he could relax. Then he might be able to sleep.
 
No matter how tired he was during the day when he lay in bed trying to sleep his mind wouldn't shut up. All he could think about was time and sacrifices and the kids and were they okay and what was he going to do? His thoughts ran in circles until the sun rose and he realized he'd gone another long night without sleep.
 
Kurogane was starting to notice his complete lack of sleep. But until Fai screwed up the ninja couldn't say anything. It was the way they worked.
 
It wasn't only that that bothered Fai but the fact that he realized he was running out of time till Tokyo and he hadn't made much difference with Syoaran. He was also fighting for a ghost and the most he could do was inform Kurogane of the feather's presence within the person giving them a place to stay while they waited for the kids.
 
Fai sighed and turned his head to watch the sun rise. `Another night gone by, huh?' he sighed and pushed himself up. “Damn it.” He whispered, curling into himself.
==============================================================
Fai frowned in concentration, firing arrows rapidly. He stopped briefly and turned his head to the sky when he felt magic. `Is that…?' He grinned. “Oi, what's wrong?” Kurogane asked, staring at him.
 
He turned to him and smiled fully. “Their here.” He whispered in glee, just before the sky dropped. Everyone stared at the newcomers in surprise. Fai breathed a sigh of relief and relaxed. “Remember the plan?” Kurogane asked. Fai nodded and brought another arrow to the string of his bow. The kids were back. Things were right again, he didn't have to worry needlessly anymore. He smiled softly.