Tsubasa Chronicle Fan Fiction ❯ The Gamble ❯ Gamble for Magic ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The Gamble
Summary: When Kurogane and Fai are still just children Yuko, Tomoyo, and Ashura take risky gamble.
Characters: Kurogane + Fai D. Flowright.
Rating: K+
Genre: Friendship/Romance
Copyright: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle belongs to Clamp. Any other recognizable media is the property of their respective owners.
Crossovers: xxxHolic- Clamp
Couples: KuroFai
Author's Notes:
Last Time:
Slowly he helped Fai get situated on the horse before pulling himself up behind the blonde. “Ready?” he asked. Fai glanced over his shoulder at him with a sour look. “No, not really.” He stated.
===
Fai watched him move with apprehension. Kurogane turned his head and looked down at him. “Come on! It's not that hard!” he shouted. Fai sighed before pulling back his sleeves like Kurogane had and following him.
 
Kurogane turned his head down again and grinned when he saw Fai catching up. “Your not half bad, Fai!” Fai looked up at him. “Just wait till we're on solid ground again!” he shouted up. Kurogane laughed.
===
Fai's eyes widened as he looked at the scene. Large trees arched to the sky with long branches and vines sweeping the ground. Small pink flowers rested on every surface of the trees. Dotting the ground were medium sized blue flowers that seemed to glow. Fai breathed out slowly. “This world is so beautiful.” He whispered with gentle eyes.
===
Kurogane looked away with a blush. “Um, maybe.” He looked back up at the blonde. “So, was it worth the climb?” Fai smiled fully. “Yeah.”
===
He should have listened to Kurogane. Fai let out a small gasp as his foot caught on one of the overgrown roots and he fell forward. Kurogane spun to look at him, eyes wide. To try and lessen the landing Fai twisted, his eyes squeezing shut for impact.
 
His eyes snapped back open however when he kept falling. He'd forgotten just how narrow and steep the path was. His twist had put him over the edge. He was falling.
 
“FAI!!!” Kurogane shouted.
===
“Talking”
`Thinking'
 
Chapter 4- Gamble for Magic-
Fai's eyes widened as he felt himself fall. The air was rushed in his ears and his clothes ruffled almost painfully around him. His stomach felt horribly light. He slammed his eyes shut, curling into himself.
 
“FAI!!!” The blonde's eyes snapped back open at the sound of his name. `No!' He thought strongly. Magic flared around his small frame, the air tensing and holding him aloft. Fai let out a soft breath and slowly let himself float back to the top.
==============================================
Kurogane stared at the last spot he'd seen Fai in horror. “Fai…” he whispered. His chest constricted. “Fai, please…please don't be dead.” He pleaded. Slowly he approached the edge, squeezing his eyes shut. A soft wind brushed against his face. “Kurogane, I need to land.”
 
His eyes snapped back open. “Fai!” he shouted, staring at the floating boy in shock. Fai offered him a weak smile. “Please step back, Kurogane.” Kurogane followed the request in a daze. Fai was alright.
 
Fai took a deep breath as his feet touched the ground again. He didn't want to do that ever again. He turned and stared out over the edge. Slowly it came to him. “I just…I just did a level 4 wind spell.” He whispered in shock. A grin slowly came over his features and he turned to smile widely at Kurogane. “That's the best I've ever managed.” He stated in glee.
 
Kurogane's shock was slowly fading away. He stared at the boy in disbelief. “Idiot.” He choked out. He stepped forward and wrapped his arms around the smaller boy. “I was so worried.” He whispered. A single tear slipped from his eyes. Rather it was from the relief and the momentary trauma he wasn't sure.
 
Fai's eyes widened. Slowly, oh so slowly, he brought his arms up and returned the hug. “I'm sorry. Oh god, I'm so sorry. I should have listened.” He whispered, burying his head into Kurogane's shoulder.
==============================================
The next day Fai sat down in his room, magic running over his fingers. A few minutes later the magic disappeared and he sighed, turning his head to stare at his door. “In or out, Kurogane?” he asked.
 
The boy slowly entered, biting his lip. “I'm sorry. Was I bothering you?” he asked. Fai managed a small smile and shook his head. “It's alright. I nearly died yesterday. It's understandable.” He tilted his head and smiled more. “Why don't you sit down?”
 
The boy smiled weakly and sat down across him. Fai sighed and tried to concentrate on his magic again but those bright red eyes were boring into him and under that intense stare it was hard to think of anything but Kurogane. He bit his lip, pouring magic into the spell.
 
Kurogane had followed him around the rest of the night and all of tonight after his fall. Fai didn't hold it against him, he was still shaken up himself but after awhile it did get a little…irksome.
 
He started to fidget slightly under that stare and lost focus on the spell. It exploded. Fai's eyes widened as he was pushed onto his back from the force. He was lucky the spell wasn't meant to destroy or anything.
 
He laid there on his back for a while, just staring at the ceiling when he started to laugh. He smiled, laughter bubbling up his throat. Kurogane sat up, glaring at him. “You are insane!” he shouted.
 
Fai sat up and smiled widely at him, still giggling slightly. “So-sorry, Kuro…” He couldn't help it. He burst out laughing again. Kurogane smiled softly and shook his head. “You're incogtable.” He whispered fondly.
 
Fai smiled and fell back again, still laughing. Kurogane sighed and collapsed next to him. “Are you alright, Fai?” he asked, staring at the boy out of the corner of his eyes.
 
Fai twisted his head and stared at Kurogane. “I'm alright.” He whispered, reaching out and grasping Kurogane's hand. He smiled brightly. “Never better.” Kurogane's eyes softened and he squeezed the hand holding his. “That's good.” He whispered.
=========================================================
Later that night, Kurogane leaned against the edge of Fai's bed. The blonde slept peacefully, his head having fallen into his lap when he'd fallen asleep. The darker of the two smiled softly and ran his fingers through the blonde hair, enjoying the smooth feel of the silky strands.
 
He closed his head and leaned it back against the bed. The image of Fai falling over the edge flashed through his head. He frowned, his hand tightening almost harshly in the blonde hair. Fai whimpered softly.
 
Kurogane sighed and loosened his grip, running his fingers through Fai's hair again. Fai's face relaxed slightly and he smiled. Kurogane stared down at the blonde with soft eyes. He couldn't get the scene of Fai falling out of his head; it was burned into his eyes. The hand that he'd draped over Fai's stomach tightened its grip. “Never again.” He swore staring intently at the blonde's peaceful face. “I wont allow any harm to come to you ever again.” He stated fiercely.
=======================================================
An hour later his mother looked into the room and smiled softly at the sight. Fai was laid out across the floor, his head tucked into Kurogane's lap. Her son was sitting against Fai's bed, head resting on the edge, one hand resting on Fai's waist and the other tangled into the blonde hair. “Good night.” She whispered, closing the door.
=======================================================
Tomoyo smiled at the image of the two boys floating in the water. “It appears they are doing rather well together.” She told her guest, smiling softly. Ashura appeared at her side. “It is good to see Fai smiling like that. It was always very hard to get him to smile.” He smiled. “I hope that smile never disappears.”