Tsubasa Chronicle Fan Fiction ❯ The Gamble ❯ Gamble for Affection ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The Gamble
Summary: When Kurogane and Fai are still just children Yuko, Tomoyo, and Ashura take a risky gamble.
Characters: Kurogane + Fai D. Flowright.
Rating: K+
Genre: Friendship/Romance
Copyright: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle belongs to Clamp. Any other recognizable media is the property of their respective owners.
Crossovers: xxxHolic- Clamp
Couples: KuroFai
Author's Notes: This story should fit right into the timeline somehow, that's why Fai acts do insecure in this chapter. He is still suffering the loss of his brother. I seem to be making a running joke of the fact that Fai's scared of horses.
Last Time:
 
“Talking”
`Thinking'
 
Chapter 7- Gamble for Affection-
Kurogane slowly walked towards his room later that night, a frown on his face. He didn't want to let Fai go. There had to be some way to keep himself by the blonde's side. There just had to be. He sighed slightly.
 
“Kurogane!”
 
He turned when he heard Fai's shout, watching as the boy ran towards him. He grabbed Fai's arms when Fai nearly ran right in to him, holding him steady. “I thought you were going to sleep.” He whispered, staring at the blonde.
 
Fai smiled up at him. “Thank you.” He said sincerely. Kurogane blinked. “For what?” he asked.
 
The blonde smiled even wider. “For being my friend.” And before Kurogane could respond Fai darted up and pressed a small kiss against Kurogane's cheek. “Good night!” he said as ran away, blushing and giggling.
 
Kurogane stood there frozen, a blush creeping over his cheeks. “Eh?”
 
A chuckle met his ears, causing him to turn. His blush deepened when he noticed his mother standing there, smiling widely. “That's my son, the little charmer. Just wait till your father hears.” Kurogane's blush deepened. “You're joking.”
 
She shook her head. “Mom!”
---
Fai squirmed slightly, tugging gently on one sleeve of the elegant kimono he was wearing. Beside him Kurogane rolled his eyes. “Calm down.” He said. Fai looked over at him. “Calm down? Calm Down?! Why should I calm down? This is your father, not to mention the daimyo of the land. How am I supposed to calm down?”
 
Kurogane laughed at the blonde. “He's not going to crop off your head if you do something wrong. Calm down.” Fai stopped fidgeting but still remained a few shades too pale.
 
Kurogane shared an amused look with his mother and turned his head back to the entrance to his home when he heard the sound of horses coming. Apparently so did Fai. “Oh god. Not those things.” He whispered, looking faintly ill. Kurogane snorted in laughter. “Yes, those things.”
 
Fai whimpered slightly and watched as the group rode up. Oh why him? He gulped as Kurogane's father jumped off the horse and walked up to them. He bit his lip, starting to fiddle with his sleeve again. He stepped back slightly and the only reason Kurogane didn't call him on it was because the boy had run forward into his father's arms.
 
He hung out towards the back, watching as the family interacted. He frowned, memories floating through his head of his own not-so-pleasant family. Did Kurogane even know how lucky he was to have such a thing?
 
Then the man turned to him and all thoughts flew from his head. “Our guest is still here?” he asked, smiling warmly. Fai blushed and dropped in to a bow. “Yes sir. I'm sorry for the intrusion.”
 
Kurogane huffed slightly at the politeness while his father laughed. “Oh there's no need to apologize. It's nice for Kurogane to have a friend his own age. You're welcome any time.”
 
Fai blinked and looked hopefully up at the man. “Really?” He nodded and smiled, “But of course, Fai-kun.”
---
Fai sighed as he curled into a ball next to Kurogane in the garden. “I like your father. He's nice.”
 
Kurogane chuckled. “See? I told you. Nothing to worry about.” He grinned and wrapped his arms around Fai. “You should have seen the look on your face! Priceless.” He laughed, whistling softly.
 
Fai's brow knitted. “What was that?” he asked, looking up at the boy. Kurogane blinked. “What was what?”
 
“The sound you just made.” Fai answered. Kurogane's eyebrows shot to his hairline. “You've never heard of a whistle before?” Fai rolled his eyes. “Yes, I've heard a whistle before. How did you do it though?”
 
And so begin a very difficult process. And Kurogane had thought that Fai was a quick learner. Hah.
---
Later that night, as they sat eating dinner, Fai gave a short, sharp whistle. He grinned. “Got it.” He said, smiling widely.
 
He looked up and laughed sheepishly when he notices he was getting odd looks. Kurogane merely rolled his eyes. “Ignore him. He's just learning to whistle. Thinks it's the greatest thing in the world. Took me five hours to teach him how to do it.” He grumbled.
 
His mother laughed. “Fai-kun.” She whispered fondly and started laughing again. Fai blushed and bowed his head.
 
“Fai-kun.” The blonde looked up at Kurogane's father in question. The man smiled. “I thought you should know that after dinner is done there is going to be a small party. I hope you don't mind.” Fai shook his head. “It's alright.”
---
Kurogane smiled as he chatted easily with the men on his father's entourage. He turned his head reflexively to look for Fai and froze. The blonde had just entered the room. His hair glowed in the soft light, a golden crown that framed his eyes perfectly. Complementing his pale skin was the flowing kimono Alana had given him yesterday. Just as he had frozen in awe then he did now as well.
 
Fai looked around and smiled shyly at him as he approached. Kurogane turned slightly and excused himself from the group. He approached his friend and smiled. “Wow. You look great.” He complemented. Fai blushed and looked away. “Thanks.” He stated.
 
They both looked around when the soft sound of a violin drifted through the room. “Oh. What a beautiful sound.” Fai whispered, smiling. He closed his eyes and swayed softly to the sound. “It's my mother's favorite.” Kurogane stated. “It was played at her wedding.”
 
Fai smiled and opened his eyes, watching as Kurogane's parents slowly danced to the soft melody. “How sweet.” His eyes softened. “I wonder…”
 
Kurogane looked over at him. “What?” Fai smiled sadly. “Can I have something like that?” he asked.
 
The darker boy shrugged. “Why not?” The blonde looked away. “Maybe.”
 
Kurogane stared at the boy. “I'm sure you will. You deserve it.” Fai looked up at him. “You think so?” Kurogane looked at him. The look in those blue eyes shouted at him that his answer meant the world to the blonde. “Yeah.” He held out his hand. “Come on. Let's go.” He wiggled his fingers, causing Fai to giggle and grasp it.
---
Fai took a deep breath, inhaling the scent of the cool night air. “Beautiful…” he whispered. He grinned at his friend. “No matter how many times I see it, that's the first thing I think.” He stated.
 
Kurogane smiled. “I'll take that as a compliment.” He stated. Laughing he grabbed Fai's hands and swung the boy around. “Come on now.” He encouraged. The blonde blinked before he realized what Kurogane was doing and blushed deeply. “I-I can't.”
 
Kurogane rolled his eyes. “Nonsense.” He stated and calmly and carefully convinced Fai to dance with him. “Yeah. Just like that.” He complimented and grinned as he pushed Fai out into a spin. Fai laughed slightly and let himself be pulled back into the embrace. His laughter cut short when his senses caught the sound of something whistling through the air. His eyes snapped up and he pushed himself and Kurogane down to the ground. “Down!” He shouted. Kurogane coughed as he hit the ground. “What's wrong?” he asked.
 
Fai stood up quickly, his eyes locked on the arrow embedded in the wood. “Head's up.” He stated his eyes hard. “We have company.”