Tsubasa Chronicle Fan Fiction ❯ The Gamble ❯ Gamble for Life ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The Gamble
Summary: When Kurogane and Fai are still just children Yuko, Tomoyo, and Ashura take a risky gamble.
Characters: Kurogane + Fai D. Flowright.
Rating: K+
Genre: Friendship/Romance
Copyright: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle belongs to Clamp. Any other recognizable media is the property of their respective owners.
Crossovers: xxxHolic- Clamp
Couples: KuroFai
Author's Notes:
Last Time: A brutal attack leaves Fai poisoned. Although Kurogane's family has tried to do everything they can they are unable to remove the poison, leaving Fai on the edge of death as the two boys grow closer still.
 
“Talking”
`Thinking'
 
Chapter 9- Gamble for Life-
Kurogane sat unmoving outside Fai's room. He barely acknowledged the people moving hurriedly around him. His sole focus was the silent, deathly pale boy lying inside the room. “Hang on, Fai.” He whispered to himself. He squeezed his eyes shut. “Please don't leave me.”
---
Ashura stood at the end of the hall, watching the little boy curled up outside his charge's room. The look on the boy's face was heart-breaking. “We knew he wouldn't allow this to happen. We should have done something to try to protect them more.” He whispered.
 
Tomoyo stepped up next to him. “Yes, maybe your right. Shall I call Yuko?” she asked. Ashura nodded, “Yes. That is a good plan.”
---
Yuko watched the two in front of her sadly. “The price to save a life is very high.” She informed.
 
The two before her nodded. “We're aware.” They replied. Yuko sighed. “It will be the thing you value most. That is why I cannot grant it. The price is too steep, the repercussions too big. Each price will endanger your life or the lives of others. I'm sorry.”
 
Both Ashura and Tomoyo stared at her. “There has to be something you can do. Anything.” Tomoyo pleaded. Yuko merely shook her head.
---
Kurogane shifted in his sleep restlessly. Dreams plagued his sleeping mind.
 
“The witch.” A voice whispered through the hazy fog he was dreaming. “You must see the witch…To save him, see the witch…She can help you…Please…save my brother… Kurogane shot up in his bed, breathing deeply. Shaking, he stumbled from the futon. He knew that voice. That was Fai's voice. But Fai was sick.
 
He walked shakily towards the blonde's room and stepped in. The blonde was sleeping in his bed, breath coming in rapid gasps. Kurogane walked closer, sitting down next to the boy. Fai was still to pale and what little color he had was from his fever. He leaned down, pressing a hand against Fai's forehead. It was way too hot.
 
He stood to get a wet clothe when a small hand grasped his weakly. He looked down as hazy blue eyes fluttered open. “Kuro-chan…”Fai whispered, a weak grin stretching across his face. Kurogane smiled faintly in return. “Hey, Fai.”
 
The blonde shifted onto his side, coughing briefly. “I feel horrible.” He whispered, looking up at Kurogane blearily. The dark boy offered a weak smile. “I know. I'm sorry. Let me get you a wet clothe. It'll help with your fever.” He whispered, standing up.
 
“No, don't!” Fai shouted, a surprising strength in his voice. He looked at Kurogane pleadingly. “Don't leave me.” He whispered.
 
Slowly, Kurogane sat down. “I'm here. I'm not going anywhere. I promise.” He whispered. Fai smiled and shifted so he could curl up into Kurogane's lap. The boy smiled feebly at his friend and wrapped his arms around the blonde.
 
Later, when Fai's breathing had evened out and the boy was asleep again, Kurogane tightened his hold. “I swear, Fai, I'll save you. I promised to protect you and I will. I promise.” He said softly.
 
“Please save my brother…save Yuui.”
---
Kurogane sat silently at the table the next morning, twirling one of his chopsticks. His mother stared at him in concern. “Kurogane…”
 
His father glanced over at him. “I hear that Tsukuyomi and Fai's king are talking to a witch who might be able to save Fai.” He whispered.
 
Kurogane stopped. The voice from last night drifted through his head. “Talk to the witch…” He stood up suddenly, staring at his father. “Where are they?” he asked. He knew they were in the house for he had just seen the Tsukuyomi yesterday.
 
His father stared at him for a minute before informing him where they were. He had barely finished before Kurogane was out the door, scrambling down the halls. He didn't slow, even as he raced through the gardens Fai loved so much and too the other part of the complex.
 
He threw open the door, staring at the two people in the room and the ghostly image of another. He collapsed to the ground, breathing deeply, one hand still clutching at the door frame. Slowly, he looked back up at the image of the darkly beautiful woman. “Please…please save…please save him. Save Fai!” he shouted.
 
Tomoyo stood up quickly from her place sitting on the floor. “Kurogane please stop! You don't know what you're doing!” he glared at her harshly. “Stay out of this! It's doesn't concern you!”
 
She drew back in shock as Kurogane looked back at the witch. “Please, save him!” he repeated.
 
Yuko stared at him. “There will be a price.” She said. Kurogane shook his head. “I don't care.” Yuko arched an eyebrow, “It will be heavy.”
 
“I don't care! Just save him!” Kurogane shouted.
 
“You do not even know what that price is.” Yuko observed, smiling softly. Kurogane glared at her. “I made a promise.” He hissed. “I said, no matter what, I'd make sure Fai was safe. I'd make sure he kept smiling.”
 
The witch gazed at him for a moment than nodded. “Very well. I will grant that wish.” She whispered. Ashura stood quickly as well. “Yuko, you can't. He's just a boy. He's doesn't know what he's doing.”
 
“I don't care!” Kurogane shouted again. He glanced back at the witch-“You better help him.”-Before he turned around and ran back down the halls, racing towards Fai's room.
---
Kurogane sat outside Fai's room as Yuko worked inside. This had to work. It just had too!
 
A soft voice drifted through the air. “Thank you…I'm sorry…” he blinked, looking around. But there was no one there. Beside him, the door to Fai's room slid open. Kurogane stood quickly, watching as the witch exited. “Is he alright?”
 
Yuko glanced down at him and nodded. “He will be fine. He should wake up soon.” Kurogane nodded and resisted the urge to run into the room. “About my price…when will you need it?” he asked.
 
The witch smiled softly. “It has already been taken care of. Do not worry. Now, please, excuse me. I must speak to Ashura-ou.” She whispered, walking down the hall.
 
Immediately, Kurogane darted into Fai's room. He knelt by Fai's bed and grasped the pale hand. The blonde already looked better. “Come on, Fai. Wake up. Please.”
---
Ashura looked up when Yuko entered the room. “How is Fai?” he asked. Yuko sat down. “He is fine. He should awake any minute now. When that happens, take him home.”
 
Ashura nodded. “At first light tomorrow, I'd already decided.” Yuko shook her head. “No, not tomorrow. Right after he wakes up take him home. Don't bring him back.” She ordered. Ashura jerked. “Don't come back? But Fai loves that boy!” he shouted.
 
Yuko met his eyes. “He used too. It won't matter to him now.”
---
 
Kurogane's breath caught when Fai's pale blue eyes slowly fluttered open. He leaned forward, grinning widely. “Fai!” he breathed excitedly.
 
Fai looked over at him, eyes hazy and confused. For a long moment he didn't say anything, simply stared up at Kurogane in a dazed, confused manner. Kurogane frowned in worry, leaning closer. “Fai? You alright?” he asked.
 
Finally, Fai whispered out. “I'm sorry.” His voice was ruff and scratchy from being ill for so long. “But…do I know you?”