Twilight Fan Fiction / Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ Flowers for a Girl ❯ Flowers for a Girl ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Flowers for a Girl
By: Natilie Sawada

Pairing: RenesmeeXJacob Fic
Genre: Romance
POV: Renesmee
Age: 15
(15 years after B.D)

`````````````````````````````

I opened my eyes, willing the haze of sleep to disappear as my hand colided with soft fabric instead of warm skin on the bed beneath me.
"Jake?" I mumbled sleepily, squinting as the morning light streaming in through the window hit my eyes. He wasn't there.
On the morning of my fifteenth birthday--Jacob wasn't there.
I felt tears gathering in the illogical time between sleep and full awareness. Why? Why, why, why, why?
Tears spilled over my eyes as I lay my head back down on the pillow.
I hated how much I loved him sometimes. Sure, he was rude, teasing, loud, annoying...but never mean.
Jacob never hurt my feelings.
Wouldn't he have known that not being here...on my birthday...
Every other day, the first thing I saw when I opened my eyes was Jacob.
But not today.
Jake was not here today.
"Renesmee, honey?" I heard my mom call from the hallway. I didn't answer. I only wanted to be left alone. "You up yet, sweetie?" I heard the door creak open and she crossed the room slowly to sit on my bed. I rolled over, away from her, so that all she could she was the back of my curled up figure. "Oh, hon," she began, stroking my curls, "what's wrong."
I didn't answer at first.
"Jake--" my voice broke so I started again. "Jake's not here."
"Oh, Renesmee, he'll be here. It's Jake we're talking about. And it's your birthday, of course he'll be here."
"But..." I started. Her icy hand rested on my shoulder.
"Don't worry. Have faith in Jacob. He'll come through for you, just like he always does."
And I could not argue with that.
"Now why don't you come downstairs and have breakfast. Your dad's worried about you." I flinched.
"Fine," I sighed, rolling over to see her. "Is Jake there." She smiled sadly.
"No, sweetie, I'm sorry." I bit my lip, forcing back more illogical tears. "But the rest of them are. And they all want to wish you a happy birthday."
"Okay," I agreed finally, wiping the drying tears off my face as I swung my feet off the bed and glanced around the room for some clean clothes.

***

"Happy birthday...toooo....youuuuuu," they finished singing. I smiled halfheartedly. All day, I'd waited.
And Jake had never shown up.
"Make a wish and blow out the candles, Ness," Uncle Emmett prompted. I closed my eyes and drew in a deep breath.
I wish Jacob were here.
And blew.
The lights winked out. The family clapped.
A chorus of "Happy Birthday, Kiddo!" and "Congratulations, Nessie," greeted me. I tried to smile and not meet anyone's eyes.
Without Jake this all seemed like a sad, worthless dream. Without Jake, the colors of the decorations, the smell of the cake...it all seemed grey and dull.
I wish Jacob were here.

***

It was almost time to go to bed, and I trekked up the stairs tiredly, wanting only to retreat to my room and cry my eyes out. This had been the worst birthday ever.
I stepped into my room, and squeaked in surprise when an arm grabbed my waist and a warm hand covered my eyes.
"Guess who?" A husky voice asked.
"J-Jake?" I stuttered.
"You win," he teased, releasing me, and whirling me around. "Congratulations, birthday girl!" A huge smile stretched across his face.
Abruptly, tears spilled down my cheeks.
"Nessie?" He asked in alarm. My arm shot out and collided with his jaw. "Ow! What was that for?"
"That was for missing my birthday!" I screamed at him. "Now go away! I don't want to see you."
"Nessie, Nessie, you're wrong, I didn't--"
"Stop it!" I insisted, shoving against his thick chest with fists. "I don't want to hear any excuses. I just can't deal with it right now...I just..." I collapsed against his chest, tears streaming unchecked down my cheeks. "I wanted to see you so bad, Jake," I sobbed. "I wanted for you all day, and you never came, and I just wanted to see your face."
"Nessie, shhh," he shushed, his hand running over my hair. "I'm here now, okay?"
"How could you?" I sobbed quietly, burying my face in his chest.
"I didn't. Now would you let me explain?" I glared up at him, my face probably looking like a drown rat's.
"All right." I said grudgingly.
"Well..." he hesitated, "it's not really something I can...explain. I more need to...show you." I eyed him incredulously. Suddenly, he pulled my onto his back--piggyback style and we were out the window, sprinting across the cool grass to the dark forest.
"Jake!" I exclaimed.
"You'll see when we get there," he assured. He didn't run for that long, only a minuted or two before he stopped at an unspecific place in the woods and helped me down off his back.
"Jake..." I whined. He pulled a thin strip of black cloth from the pocket of his jeans and, ignoring my protests, secured it around my head so it covered my eyes.
"No peeking, kay?" He said, "it's a surprise." I felt his hands guide me through the moonlit forest for a while, the only heat coming from his hands on my shoulders.
Finally, he stopped.
"Ready?" He whispered, and the closeness of his voice made me jump.
"Yah." I felt his hands on the back of my head, undoing the blindfold. Slowly, he slipped it off.
"Surprise," he whispered, and my eyes widened.
In the forest surrounding us, in the trees, in the leaves, in the branches, were hundreds upon hundreds of white roses dotting trees surrounding the clearing in which we stood. I took a bewildered step forward, my head tilted upward. The moon was so bright that it seemed to reflect off the roses, making the grass and trees shimmer. Everywhere I looked, white roses covered the scenery. I gazed down, and white petals were scatter through the grass.
I felt warm hands slip around my waist from behind, and lips at my ear.
"Happy Birthday, Nessie. Like your present?" I wheeled around to face him, different kinds of tears forming in my eyes this time.
Jacob had spent the entire day decorating the clearing with roses...for me.
"Jake..." was all I could manage. I could barely tear my eyes away from the brilliant shimmering dream around us to gaze into his deep black eyes. "I couldn't have dreamed of anything as wonderful as this."
"White is for eternity, you know," he told me, plucking flawless white rose from a nearby bush and handing it to me. "Forever, Ness. You and me."
"Forever," I promised back.
My lips met his before either of us could say another word, and as I lifted my hand up to grasp in his hair, the white rose slipped out of my hold and fell to the moonlit ground.

-FIN-