Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ Horizons ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Ugh.
  The sun was beating mercilessly onto my eyelids. I squeezed them tight before opening them. I blinked several times, though it felt like I didn't need to blink.   At all.
  O-kay.
 My eyes adjusted rapidly to take in my surroundings.
  Trees.
  Lots and lots of trees.
  But that wasn't the bizarre part. It was what I saw on the trees. I could see the bark on every single tree, as though I were standing right by it. I could see the edge of every leaf, every tiny insect crawling on its surface.
  Oh. My. God.
  Did someone drug my drink last night? I swear I didn't leave it alone; I'd
persuaded my friend to watch it while I visited the bathroom.
 
  The bathroom.
  I know I went there. But... That's the last thing I remember. I closed my eyes,
searching my memories. But they were hard to see. My last memories were murky, clouded as if I was watching television with bad reception.  My eyes snapped open. My cell phone. Maybe I could call one of my friends. I scanned the ground, my eyes moving more rapidly than imaginable. My eyes eventually fell on my phone, several feet away at the base of a tree.
 I made to pick it up; the minute I thought about it, I was by the tree and the phone was in my hand. I clicked its lock button to bring up my screen. I stared in horror at the screen. It was dated three days later. This couldn’t be. What kind of drug knocks someone out for three days?!  I slid my thumb over the screen to unlock my phone. I quickly pulled up one of my friends’ contact information. I pressed the number to dial it, but a sharp beep sounded. I glanced at the screed; Call Dropped. I spared the bars at the top of the phone a glance. No signal. I sighed, wondering if I could pull up my maps at least. I tapped the app and typed in ‘Current Location’. I waited. And waited. Finally, a little pinpoint came up flashing Forks, Washington.
  
  
What?

&nbs p;I glanced around, hoping to see some sort of indication of where exactly in Forks I was. Only thing I ever heard about Forks was it had a near-constant rainy season. Whatever. I started out going Northeast, headed nowhere in particular. I hoped I’d come across a house or town and find a way out of Forks. After nearly a half hour of walking, I still felt energetic and vital as if I had just started out. Odd. As I continued, I could see an odd shape in the distance. I blinked (still no need apparently) and squinted slightly. It looked like some sort of stone house. I approached it slowly so as to not alarm its tenant(s). I drew closer and to my surprise, I saw no lights or activity in the dwelling to indicate anyone was home.
  Rounding the house to find the front, I stopped and stared. Just less than half a mile away laid a large white house with picture windows reflecting the forest. I checked my phone; it was just past noon on Saturday. There was a possibility that someone might be home although it was a weekend and they could be on a trip. I shrugged, having nothing to lose. I circled the house, keeping close to the tree line in case I needed to hide. I finally found the front of the house and walked up to the porch. Or flew. I’m not sure; whatever happened to me had me strung out and not thinking correctly. Anyway. I raised a finger and pressed the doorbell. I could hear it chime deep in the recesses of the house. It wasn’t loud but I guess the person or persons had good hearing. After only a moment, the door swung inward, revealing a young, bronze-haired girl with large, soft curls hanging down her back. She had milk-chocolate colored eyes and looked to be at least ten.   “Hello,” I said, smiling. “Is your mother or father home?” My voice sounded like wind chimes in a gentle spring breeze. What the hell is wrong with me?  The girl turned her head and called, “Mom!” in a gentle voice. Though she wasn’t loud, it sound clear and close to me. I heard slow, deliberate steps as someone came through the living room and to the foyer. The door was pulled open wider.  “Hello, can I help you?” a bell-like voice trilled to me.   I swung my eyes up from the girl’s face to meet the new voice’s eyes. Hers were a golden color; was she wearing contacts? She didn’t appear to be much older than me. As soon as she registered my appearance, the young woman’s eyes widened slightly and she clapped a hand to the girl’s shoulder and drew her behind her slim figure with a slight gasp. I could feel the confusion cross my face. I watched the young woman’s fingers twitch on the door as if itching to slam it in my face. Suddenly, a pair of hands had yanked my arms behind my back and lifted me easily from the porch. I’m slightly heavier than the young woman but these hands lifted me like I weighed nothing. Without zero warning, I was blazing through the side of the yard at a fast speed, then on my knees. Another pair of hands joined the first set, only they rested on my head; one under my chin and the other against the back of my head.
 I was terrified. Were these people going to kill me? I looked up from the grass to find a small group of people staring unblinkingly at me. Two of them were blonde, two brunettes, one with black, spiky hair and one with bronze-colored hair, matching the curious girl sandwiched between the brunette and him. The male blonde stepped forward. He looked like a movie-star of some sort. Despite the situation we were in, he smiled warmly as if I were an old friend.  “Hello. I am Carlisle Cullen. This is my family. My wife Esme,” (he pointed to the brunette just behind him), “Bella and Edward with their daughter Renesmee,” (he nodded toward the three); “Rosalie,” (the other blonde) “and the two holding you are Emmett and Jasper. We’re the Cullen Family. Perhaps you have heard of us?”  I shook my head.  “She’s not lying,” murmured a voice. I turned my head as much as I could to see that the one named Edward. He’d stepped forward to stand by Carlisle. The spiky-haired Alice stepped forward as well.   “Carlisle, let me-”  Edward shook his head.  
 “No, Alice. She needs to speak for herself. She could be a very well-trained liar. Her mind is confused as it is; it could really hinder you, Alice” Edward said, not looking at her. I felt Emmett and Jasper tighten the grips on me. Carlisle took one more step forward.   “We’re going to ask you some questions, dear, or… We’ll kill you.”