Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ In The Shadow Of The Sun ❯ Questions ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 5
Questions


Edward stared ahead, thinking of his first question. Leonna sat upright, politely waiting for Edward’s questions. Luna was excitedly looking out the window and exploring the inside of the Volvo, making comments like, “Oh, look! A button!” Leina kept her knees up by her chin, staring straight ahead. She couldn't let herself look at the perfect Edward Cullen or she would be rendered stupid again.

Finally, Edward decided on his first question. "Where did you live before coming here?'

"First we were in Vermont!" Luna announced. "They have a really small population there!"

Leonna nodded. "Yep, then we moved in Wyoming, and then here."

"Oooooooooooh, no!"

Everyone turned, surprised that Leina had spoken.

Leina pointed, grinning with pretend anger, at Luna. "We took a slight detour before coming from Wyoming to Washington."

Edward looked like he was trying to suppress a grin. "What do you mean?”

Leina smirked. “Luna took us through Montana first, before coming here!”

“Hey, I said it was an accident!”

Edward laughed, and Leina smiled, loving the melodic sound. “Anymore questions?”

Edward thought for another moment. “How long have you three known each other?”

Leina grinned, then turned around. “I suppose I’ll answer that question?’

Leonna and Luna nodded in agreement.

Leina faced forward. “Well, I used to live on the eastern coast. Later, I started moving around and went to Massachusetts, where I met Leonna. We became friends and started traveling together. We mainly stuck around New England, and then we decided to go to Florida for a vacation. That’s where we found Luna. All three of us became fast friends. That was about four years ago... and we’ve been traveling together ever since.”

Edward showed his understanding by nodding.

Then Leina actually looked at what was outside as Edward whipped into a parking space. They were right in front of Mr. Emerson’s. Leina stared, unbelievingly as Leonna, Luna and Edward got calmly out of the car. Leina threw open the door, got out, then slammed it shut.

“What the heck? How’d you know where we had to go?”

Edward shrugged. “I figured right, then?” He paused, looking at Leina’s expression. “I guess so... we’ll just say Leonna gave me a hint to where you would have to go.” His eyes sparkled.

Shaking her head, Leina walked over to the door. “You are way too weird...” Then she went in.

Leonna stepped up next to him. “I thought you were going to avoid her,” she said, questioningly.

He smiled wryly. “Well, things don’t always go as planned. Plus, I’ve given up on trying. She’s too stubborn and I’m too selfish...”

Leonna laughed as she followed Luna through the door. Edward smiled, then followed her.

Leina was waiting by the counter. Luna skipped over.

“What’s up?”

Leina smiled. “Mr. Emerson’s getting the papers right n-”

“No, I’ve already gotten them.”

Mr. Emerson came out of the back room, and handed a manila folder to Leonna. Edward stepped up near Leina. Mr. Emerson grinned. “Who is this? A boyfriend all ready?”

Leina blushed a furious shade of red while Edward chuckled. “No, sir. I’m a friend from school. They needed a ride over.”

Mr. Emerson nodded, still smirking. Leonna, by then, had finished signing all of the papers. “Both of you just have to sign right here.” She handed Leina and Luna each a black pen. Leina signed her name while Luna quickly scrawled it on.

House Owners:: Leonna_______
LUNA
_____________
Leina________________ __

Leonna handed Mr. Emerson the papers.

“Now you girls should have your house in two days!”

The girls smiled and each shook Mr. Emerson’s hand while Edward stood a distance back. Edward held the door for them as they left. Leina glanced back at Mr. E
Emerson. “See you on Friday!”

Everyone piled back into the Volvo and Edward pulled out of the parking lot. Once on the highway, he looked over at Leina, then Leonna.

“Am I allowed to keep asking questions?”

Leonna smirked. “Yeah-”

“You’re also allowed to watch where you’re going while driving!” Leina yelled.

Edward laughed, but complied to the demand. “Miss Saxen, I’m not going to hit anything,” he promised.

The knees went back to their place under Leina’s chin. “You can still watch...”
Then she happened to look out the window. “Holy crow!”

Everything whipped by in a blur of color. Leina looked at the speedometer. “Edward, you’re going close to a hundred!” She broke out of her position.

“We’re not going to get caught.” He said it like there was a private joke behind the reason.

“Calm down, Leina,” Leonna said. “He tells the truth.”

“Great, now she’s in on the secret!”

“Wheeeee!” Luna shouted.

“I don’t care about getting caught at this point! MY LIFE IS AT STAKE HERE! IF WE CRASH-”

Edward smiled, and Leina felt her determination slowly melt away. “We’ll survive if we crash.”

She curled up on the seat. “Well, I won’t...” she mumbled.

He seemed to ponder this. “No... you wouldn’t... would you?” He looked at her strangely, as if he knew how different she was from her other friends.

Oh gosh... he doesn’t know... does he?” she asked herself.

The car came to a sudden stop, making Leina, first of all, snap out of her wondering and, secondly, fly forward. This sudden flying forward made her hit her forehead on the passenger side of the dashboard.

THWACK!

Everyone else’s eyes opened wide with worry as Leina slowly came back up. Slowly blooming on her all ready red forehead was a blue-purple bruise. She glared with anger at Edward as Leonna and Luna laughed hysterically in the back seats. Edward looked away, trying to hid his laughter.

“IT’S NOT FUNNY!” Leina roared as the rest of the car exploded into new peals of laughter.

Leina glared out the window. They had arrived at their temporary house. Leina opened the door, got out, and slammed the door shut behind her. She un-locked the front door and stormed upstairs.

Leonna and Luna got out of the car.

“Sorry about her,” Leonna apologized. “Us being here caused her a bit of stress... Along with that, and the embarrassment of the car thing, and the new school... well, we’ll just say she’s not having a good day.”

Edward nodded, still grinning. “Yeah, you have a point... but do you think I could go up and talk to her?”

Leonna’s face turned serious in the blink of an eye. “I don’t think that’s a good idea right now.” Then her face lightened a bit. “We’ll see you tomorrow, Edward.”

“Byyyyyyyye, Edward!” Luna waved madly as Edward unwillingly put his car into reverse and left.

Leonna and Luna went inside, locking the door. “Hey, can we go shopping?” Luna asked enthusiastically.

“Sure! We need to get groceries... and I can get some other new stuff here... we just have to tell Leina.”

Luna and Leonna crept upstairs, knocking softly on one of the bedroom doors. “Leina?”

“What do you want?!” she yelled back. Yet, because of the door and the pillow now over her face, it only came out as a muffled scream.

Leonna sighed. “I’m going out shopping with Luna, all right? We’re going to hit any shops they have here and the grocery store as well. Is there anything you would like?”

“...Not exactly...”

“Hey, can we get Leina some of those gummy worms? The sour ones?” Luna asked.

“I don’t know... Leina? Would you want us to pick up some gummy worms for you?”

Silence followed for a few minutes. “All right... I really don’t care.”

“All right, well, we’ll be back in a bit, ‘kay?”

“Right...”

Leonna and Luna got their wallets from their backpacks, put them into their pockets and left, locking the door behind them.
----

Leina wasn’t sure how long she laid there on the creaky, old bed with the pillow shoved over her face. She didn’t look at the clock to check. Then she guessed, after about fifteen to twenty minutes of barely being able to breathe, that she should stop and go downstairs and do something somewhat productive.

Then she heard a soft knocking, like a bird. After the knocking grew more urgent, she threw the pillow off of her face and across the room.

“What?”

She gazed out the window in partial horror, surprise and amusement to see Edward Cullen sitting on a tree limb, right outside. She ran over to the window and shoved it open.

“What in the world do you think you’re doing?!” she yelled, not trying to hide her embarrassment. She stepped away from the window as he gracefully climbed inside.

He smiled a little, like a little kid asking for forgiveness. "I wanted to apologize."

That was the last thing that Leina had thought he would want. To laugh more at her, maybe. But not to apologize.

She looked back, shifting her eyes suspiciously. "What for...?"

His beautiful eyes looked down shamefully at the floor. "I shouldn't have laughed at you after," he started, allowing a small smile to appear on his face, "the break incident. I should have warned you that I was going to break... I didn't think you'd fly forward that much!"

Leina turned the other way, facing the door: her only escape. She grimaced at the memory of the pain. "Well, I did fly forward..."

All of a sudden, as if he had teleported in front of her, Edward was standing in front of her. In her line of vision of her escape route. "Did he know I was planning on making a run for it...?" she wondered.

"I also came to apologize for having to ignore you today."

She made the mistake again: she looked up at him. His expression was one of regret for what he'd done, and hope that she would forgive him. His almost fire-like eyes burned through her crystal ice blue ones, as if melting that only remaining barrier and viewing her thoughts. He was amazingly charming for someone who had ignored her for a portion of the day.

She quickly averted her eyes from him. "It doesn't matter... if you want to ignore me then go ahead..."

"That's the thing, Leina," he replied softly, with a certain amount of pain in his voice. "I don't want to ignore you..."

She looked up again. Why did she have to keep repeating this mistake? Every time she did, it felt like she was being smothered by his perfection. As if she was insignificant to his glory.

She frowned. "I don't understand."

He smiled down at her. "It would be... better... if we weren't friends. But, I think I should just give up while I'm ahead..." He smirked. "You're way too stubborn."

Leina blushed, shrugged, then smiled back. "I have to agree with the last point."

They both laughed. Leina walked over and sat down on her bed, feeling a bit dizzy again. But the cause was definitely not heat exhaustion this time.

"So, are you going to explain your weirdness, Mr. Cullen?"

He smiled, apologizing. "I can't fully explain my 'weirdness', though I may give you an idea," he compromised, sitting down at the foot of her bed.

Leina nodded. "Sounds fair."

Edward smirked. "But you have to give some answers of your own. Deal?"

Leina sighed. "Fine... deal." She held out her hand for Edward to shake.

He hesitantly put his hand out. His hand felt extremely cold compared to Leina's warm one. Then he brought his hand back quickly.

"So," Leina started, grabbing a pillow, "what's your reason?" She brought the pillow close to her, hugging it tightly and resting her chin on it. She sat cross-legged, awaiting Edward's explanation.

He looked down, trying to figure out how to start. "Well, we can just say that I'm not a good friend for you."

"Meaning... what? You don't have very good characteristics or something?" She smirked. "Your manners are quite excellent, Mr. Cullen," she said, mocking his manner.

He pretended to smile. "Haha, very funny." He paused, considering her question. "Well, I suppose you could say that."

"Meaning that you have some not-so-hot qualities. So, are you saying that, if I was friends with you, I would not be safe?"

"Potentially..."

"Therefore, I would be in some sort of danger that you do not want to put me in?"

Edward paused again. "Yes, you could say that, as well."

Leina smiled. "So, my conclusion is you're dangerous... but you're not necessarily bad."

He stared at her for a moment, then grinned. "You can decide that for yourself."

Leina smiled back even wider. "So, then, what's your first question?"

He looked at her, trying to penetrate through to her thoughts. "Did you actually first live on the Eastern Coast?"

Leina laughed. "Yes, I did. That was not the lie."

"As in there was a lie?"

"Hmm..." She thought, trying to figure out how to answer. "Well, I suppose you can decide that for yourself." She grinned, impishly.

He huffed and stood up, clearly frustrated. "You realize how aggravating this is, don’t you? Not knowing what you’re thinking?”

Leina quietly laughed to herself. “Sorry, I can’t reveal all of your secrets... I’m sure you have some of your own, am I correct?”

Edward stared at her, eyes staring straight into hers, looking for any kind of answer or clue. He also looked a bit worried. “Yes... I do have my own...” He sat back down again.

Leina smirked. “Oh, and you realize that you never got a chance to keep your promise.”

He looked over to her, confusion spread on his flawless face. “What promise?”

“The one you made in the car... you could ask us questions if you would answer ours.”

He stared at her, starting to get a little more frustrated. Then he seemed to calm down. “Fine, then let’s make another deal? You ask a question, then I will. We’ll trade off. You have the right to decline an answer to a question directed at you, but then the other person gets to decline an answer for one of your questions. Fair enough?”

Leina nodded. “May I go first?”

“Ladies first,” he confirmed.

Leina thought about the first question she wanted to ask him. There were so many, it was hard to choose just one!

“What about your family?” she asked. “What are they like?”

An expression of mock-exasperation appeared. “That’s a topic, not a question.”

Only a smile appeared on Leina’s face.

He sighed, figuring where to begin. “Well, there’s Carlisle, Esme, Emmett, Rosalie, Jasper, Alice, and myself, of course. Not too much to say, really.”

Leina sighed. “Fine... but can you at least explain more about how you became a family?”

“No, you all ready asked you question! It’s my turn now.”

He stopped for a moment, then asked, “What about your family? On the other side of the country? What do they think of your traveling with two other girls your age?”

Leina looked down, struggling to form the words. “I don’t have a family.”

Edward was troubled to see her that upset, but his curiosity made him continue his question. “What happened to them?” he asked quietly.

Leina fixated her vision on a single thread of the comforter. “They passed away when I was young... When I was about eight. My mother, father, and my two brothers. One was older, almost sixteen, the other younger, just turned five.” Leina could feel the unwanted tears starting to swell up in her eyes. She continued to concentrate on the thread. “We were in a car crash... and I was the only one who survived.” She quickly and, as best she could, discretely wiped away the tears.

Then, she smiled back at him. “So, how’d you and the rest of the Cullens become a family?”

Edward was silent. He looked into her eyes, attempting to see if she was all right. Something there seemed to reassure him a bit, so he looked away. He seemed to be debating with himself. Leina looked puzzled at him. He quickly glanced up, then laughed.

“What?”

He continued laughing, but managed to say between laughs, “The expression on your face! It was hilarious!”

Leina put her hands up to her face. “There’s nothing wrong with my face!” she said, defensively.

“I didn’t say there was! Only the expression!”

“But the expression was on my face, so you’re saying that my face is a funny thing! So, clearly saying something must be wrong with it!”

She moved her hands away from her eyes and was shocked to see herself looking back into his eyes. His face was only about six inches away from hers.

He smiled at her, causing her heart to melt again. “Trust me. There is nothing wrong with your face.”

They sat in silence for a moment, just staring at each other. Then Edward bent over a bit more and touched his fingertip to her face, right above the cheek.

Leina looked down at his finger. He was holding a single drop of water on the tip of his finger.

He smiled up at her, a very beautiful sight. “You missed one,” he said, putting his finger down. Leina held her breath, not wanting to make any sudden movements. She was almost mesmerized by him, how perfectly angelic he looked, only sitting a few mere inches away from her.

Then, the door was thrown open. Leina and Edward jumped up and away from each other, looking to see who it was.

Leonna stood in the doorway, hair standing a bit on end. Luna stood right behind her with a few plastic bags and a gummy worm sticking out of her mouth.

“Edward,” Leonna said with as much calm and patience as she could muster, “why are you here?” She said her words quietly and precisely, as if she would slip on her words if she wasn’t thinking about staying calm.

Edward looked down at the floor. “I came to apologize to Leina for today. I thought it to be the right thing to do.”

Leonna's eyes turned a color that looked like green fire. She looked like she was having difficulty keeping control. "You could have done that... tomorrow... at school..."

Edward looked up at Leonna, seeming like he was begging. "I had to apologize today. I am sorry for coming into the house uninvited."

Leonna's eyes burned. "Just leave, Edward."

He nodded, a sheepish smile on his face. "I'll see you, Leonna... Luna..." Then he turned back to Leina, smiling. "I'll see you again, Leina." Then he turned around and swiftly jumped out the window.

Leina sprinted over to the window and looked down. Edward was no where to be seen. She turned around. "He vanished..." She laughed. "He must be able to run a lot faster than I thought."

"Yeah, no kidding..." Leonna mumbled.