Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ In The Shadow Of The Sun ❯ Ready, Set, SERVE! ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 9
Ready, Set, SERVE!

Luna’s pale, gray-blue eyes fluttered open. She sat up in her bed, sleepily rubbing her eyes, looking around at her new room. She had painted it last night. It was a bright blue color. The walls and soft carpet were the same color, making it almost impossible to tell which was which.

Okay, so she hadn’t exactly “painted” the walls...

“A little bit of magic use is good for a pixie!”

Yes... Luna had used magic to bring some color into her room.

“Well, gray walls are so not me!”

Right then, Luna’s stomach growled.

“Whoops, time for breaaaaakfast!”

The foyer was flooded by early morning sunlight as Luna skipped down the spiral staircase. She was caught by surprise as the bright light caught her attention. Planting her face on the huge window, Luna’s eyes sizzled as she gazed at the beautiful Forks landscape. After a few moments, her stomach growled again and she skipped to the kitchen for some breakfast.
“What?!? No frosted flakes?!?” she exclaimed, digging through the pantry. She sighed in defeat, not finding any food already prepared.
“I bet Leonna could make something!” And with that, the energizer bunny sprinted up the stairs and burst through Leonna’s bedroom.
“WAKEY WAKEYYYY!!!!!” she yelled, belly flopping on the double bed.
“UMF!” was the reply from under the covers. Luna used the bed as a trampoline as she jumped up and down.
“Come on!! I want some breakfast!!!” she begged
“mmm-alright! I’ll be down shortly!” the bed answered.
“Yay!!” Luna jumped off the bed and ran downstairs, patiently waiting for Leonna to come make food.
Leonna stretched in her bed, adjusting her eyes to the early morning sun. Mid-stretch, she heard a knock at the door.
“Come in” her deep, first-speech-of-the-day voice uttered.

When the door opened, she looked up to see Edward step in, his vampire skin sparkling in the sun.
“Good morning, Leonna,” he said cheerfully and politely.

Leonna moaned from the bright lights surrounding her but sat up to face Edward. “Hello, Edward.”

He frowned at the foot of her bed. “I think you need a bigger bed.” Leonna looked down to see her feet hanging off the sides. She shrugged it off and removed the covers.
“So, you came to visit me. What for?” she asked, putting her feet on the ground beside the bed.
“Leina’s not waking up. After hearing your conversation with Luna, I thought I should wake her but she’s not responding. Nothing I do brings her back to consciousness!” He sounded distressed as he explained. He watched a smirk form on Leonna’s face as he read her thoughts. “No, I wouldn’t dare do that,” he responded in disapproval.

Leonna stood up. “It may do the trick,” she said as she stretched. “Besides, isn’t that every girls dream, to be woken up by a vampire’s kiss?” Leonna winked at Edward as she walked out the door. When she passed him, he gave her an odd look.
“Leonna, have you grown?”

She quickly turned, frowning, and then her eyes widened, noticing how they were almost at eye level. When they first met, Edward was a good 4 inches taller than she! Edward had the same expression of surprise as Leonna did.
“Guess so,” she replied simply, fidgeting with the white patch behind her ear. Edward could read that she thought the growths spurt was due to the drug on the patch, or lack thereof. She walked past Edward to Leina’s room and entered noisily. Leonna remembered her wounds from the night before
“Oh, the human body needs much more sleep to rejuvenate. Her body is trying to heal itself as quickly as possible as to avoid infection, which requires a hell of a lot of sleep. We should let her wake up on her own,” Leonna explained, watching Edward nod his head in understanding. She glanced back at Leina. “I’m assuming you’re going to watch her until then, yes?”
“With your permission,” Edward said politely.
“Permission granted.” She glanced back to her hibernating human friend. “If you need anything, Luna and I will be downstairs.” Leonna bowed slightly and headed downstairs.
Edward took his place back at Leina’s bedside and smiled, watching her sleep.

Leina slowly opened her eyes.

"Eh... too bright..." she moaned, the light beaming in through her window. Leina looked straight up at the ceiling, which was a white color that matched the floors. She was having a problem remembering everything that had happened the previous night. Slowly, everything started to come back. "But... Edward was here when I fell asleep..."

Leina slowly looked down.

Edward's head was resting right next to her. His eyes opened wider when he realized that she was awake. Then he smirked.

"Nice to see you awake, Leina."

Leina's eyes shot open, fully awake now. "AGH, TOO CLOSE!!" she yelled, springing up from the bed, bouncing off of it and onto the floor, making a karate-like pose.

Edward turned around, laying on the bed, eyes wide in surprise. Then he threw his head back, laughing louder than Leina had heard him laugh. Leina slowly got out of her fighting position, embarrassed. She slowly walked over to the window, then saw the huge curtains.

"What was this hiding?" she wondered as the pulled them back.

The curtains revealed a sliding, glass door leading to a balcony. She curiously slid open the lock and walked out onto the balcony. She was standing two stories above the ground, which was easy to get to by a staircase.

Leina sighed as the morning sun warmed her body. For some reason, she was extremely cold.

"Hmm... I wonder why that is..."

"Having fun?"

Leina turned, seeing Edward peering at her from the shadows of the room, as if he didn't want the light to hit him.

"Yes, for your information, I am. What's wrong with you? You gonna blow up if the sun touches you?" she teased.

Edward shook his head. "No... I'm not going to blow up..."

Leina walked over to the doorway, holding out her hand. "Then what's the problem?"

Edward looked into her eyes. She looked so kind, so accepting. He wasn't used to having people... different from him and his family... to know their secret... or to be so open and compliant about it.

"She's most likely used to it because of Luna and Leonna..."

"Come on... I'm not going to bite you or anything."

He looked up at her. She was grinning at him, a very playful look on her face.

Cautiously, he put his hand into hers, letting her pull him out into the light on the balcony.

Leina gasped. Not due to horror or anything close to it; but in awe. She hadn't thought Edward could become any more beautiful, but she was dead wrong.

Edward's skin glittered. Not in a metaphorical way, but a literal way. His skin seriously looked like it was sparkling.

Leina looked up at his face. He was trying to gauge her expression, figure out what she was thinking. Finally, it seemed that he had given up on it.

"What are you thinking?"

"I'm thinking..." she started, "that you are dazzling me even more than I thought you were able to..."

Leina tried not to stare, but finding it was very hard to, she turned away, still holding his gleaming hand. She set it on the balcony rail, and then removed her hand from his, leaning on the railing. She closed her eyes and breathed in deeply.

"You know... I usually prefer the twilight... it's more calming... but this is absolutely AMAZING!" she said, yelling the last word to the audience of the Forks forest. A group of birds flew away from their posts on a tree at the sound of her voice, causing her to laugh.

Edward sighed, looking over at her from the corner of his eye. Her hair was blowing a bit in the wind towards himself. She looked so carefree... and he wanted her to be able to stay that way.

All of a sudden, her stomach growled. Leina looked down at her stomach, clearly embarrassed, and then back up at him. Her face was a very pretty pink color in the light of the morning.

Edward grinned down at her. "Right... humans need to eat, don't they?" he teased.

Leina looked down at the ground, glaring at it. "Darn stomach! You just HAD to go and start making noises right then, didn't you?!" she internally yelled.

Edward walked into her room, Leina following.

"Plus, I think Leonna would have my hide if you slept much longer... she'd think I broke my promise!"

Leina shut and locked the door, then shot down the hallway and bounded down the stairs. Edward calmly followed.

"How long have I been asleep?!"

Leonna laughed from the stove, cooking something. It smelled amazing! "It's almost eleven in the afternoon, Leina. We let you sleep in a good bit!"

"LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEINAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!"

Leina was crushed to the ground by a sudden weight on her shoulders, face meeting the floor. She moaned as she felt the weight start to hug her, rubbing its face against her back.

"LEINA, you slept for soooooooo long, you sleepy-head! Are you ok? Have your injuries healed?!"

"NOT IF YOU KEEP JUMPING ON TOP OF ME, LUNA!"

Leina felt with relief that the weight finally moved off of her, letting her flip over. The long, pale-haired Luna grinned down at her, holding out a hand. She helped Leina up.

"Do you need any help with breakfast?" Edward asked Leonna in that absolute polite way of his.

"No, that's all right, Edward," she replied briskly. "I just about have everything finished. You and the other two can go to the dining room and wait there. I just have to finish this last batch of pancakes."

Luna jumped up and down. "Yeah, Leina, Leonna made pancakes today!"

Leina smiled. "Yup, I could smell 'em. Come on, Luna, let's go."

She pushed her bouncing friend over into the dining room and into a chair. They were followed by Edward, who calmly walked behind them, content to watch the trio's breakfast affair.

Leonna followed in after a few minutes, both arms carrying about two or three trays of pancakes. "Here you are... breakfast is served!"

Leonna sat down across from Luna and next to Edward, who was across from Leina. She got some pancakes, eggs, and sausages for herself. Then she saw Edward, who was sitting silently in his chair, watching Leina try to get Luna to actually use a fork. Leonna smirked, an impish idea coming to her.

"So, Edward... can I get you anything? Orange juice? Milk?" she asked as she stuck a piece of sausage into her mouth.

He looked over at her. He had a "haha-very-funny" look on his face.

"Apparently, he doesn't like my joke," Leonna thought, giggling into her napkin as she wiped her face.

"So, Leonna... You're supposed to go meet Jasper at... noon, was it?" Edward asked.

"Right," she answered.

"Well, how about we just head over to my house all together? Then we can all go to the field to play tennis together," he suggested.

Luna's eyes lit up. "I get to watch you all play tennis?! WHOOOOHOOOO!" she yelled, standing up suddenly, causing the chair to fall behind her. "Teh-nis! Teh-nis!" she chanted, pumping her arms in turn with every syllable.

Leina glared up at Luna. "LUNA, sit down!"

"Teh-nis! Teh-nis! Teh-"

"Luuuuuuuna..." she growled, trying to control her temper, making a fist.

Leonna smiled uncertainly. "Leina, please... and Luna, will you please calm down?"

Luna eventually made her way back to her seat and stuffed her mouth full of pancakes and such.
Leonna eyes widened in realization and she turned to Edward. "Does this smell make you sick at all? The smell of food?"
Edward smiled, as if he was actually taking a bite of the food; a cross between a grin and a grimace. “It’s not so bad. Just eating it is bad... I can’t understand how you guys can stand that taste...”

The three girls burst into laughter.

“Mmmm... that was good...” Leina said, leaning back into her chair, eyes closed in glee. She had finally finished her large breakfast. Folding her arms back behind her head, she looked perfectly content.

“How much food did you eat, Leina?” Leonna asked.

“Eh... I don’t know... I don’t keep track!”

Luna laughed. “AHAHAHAHA, Leina’s gonna be faaaaaaaat!” She held her hands out, pretending to be rubbing a giant belly, and blew her cheeks out to make them look pudgy as well.

Edward laughed; Leina blushed a furious red.

“LUNA, QUIT IT!” she screamed.

Leonna planted her palm to her forehead, her elbow glued to the table. "I don't know this child," she whispered, causing Edward to laugh. "Forget chivalry, dignity is dead in this era." She looked at Edward, shaking her head.

This time, Leina laughed.
"Oh, we've only got 15 minutes! I need to get ready!" Leina said, realizing the time. She burst up the stairs. "You're not getting ready?!?" she called down to Leonna, who was calmly cleaning the dishes away.
"You forget how fast I can shower and change. I'll be ready in 10 minutes tops," she replied.

Leina nodded and rushed to the shower, followed by Luna.

"May I help with the dishes? It's the least I could do to for your generous hospitality," Edward offered, standing up and pushing in his chair.
"Oh no, I'm almost done. Please make yourself at home," Leonna replied quickly, taking another tray of empty serving plates to the kitchen. She glanced at Edward who was looking out the window in a daze.
"You look worried," Leonna observed, making another trip.

Edward tried to form the right words to answer the question. He bit his lip.
"You're hoping you don't do anything like you did last night, yea?" She leaned against the window, crossing her arms. "Leina was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. Luna and I should be the one's worrying. We've been her only protection for so many years during our travels, literally following her wherever she went, fending off any anti-humans who got too close so she wouldn't see the monsters who wander this Earth, so she could trust us."

She tried to make Edward understand and so far, he did. He crossed his arms and gripped his biceps, thinking of the damage he had done to their circle of trust.

"I'm sorry, I just made you feel really guilty," Leonna apologized, realizing what she had said.
"No, it's okay, I understand... I'll try to let it go..." Edward breathed. Leonna gave him an 'are you sure?' expression and he nodded in return.
"LEONNAA!! THE SHOWER'S YOURS!!" she heard Leina yell from upstairs. Leonna sighed. "Let's be friends, okay?" she smiled as Edward. His eyes widened as he beamed and nodded quickly.
" 'Wrong place at the wrong time', remember," was her final statement as she headed upstairs.

Edward watched Leonna go up the stairs. He got up from the table and moved into the room with the couch. He laid down, stretching himself out. He folded his arms behind his head and closed his eyes.

“Tired all ready?!”

Edward’s eyes shot open. Leina’s face was a mere six inches from his.

He could smell her intoxicating scent, making his body long for her blood. “No... I can’t do that...” he thought, trying to suppress the urge.

“Too... close...” he managed to say.

Leina straightened up, looking down at him curiously.

Edward let out a long breath that he hadn’t realized he was holding, then glared at her.

Leina’s face contorted with anxiety. “What?”

Edward sighed. It wasn’t her fault. He decided to change the subject. “I didn’t hear you come down the stairs.”

Leina grinned. “I’m just skilled that way!”

Edward was surprised he hadn’t sensed her before that, or heard her footsteps. Most humans weren’t that good at keeping quiet.

She shrugged. “I can be quiet when I want to be.”

Edward turned to her, caught off guard. It was as if she had read his thoughts... He shook his head. That was impossible... Leina was a human; she couldn’t sense anything like that.

He opened his eyes again. Leina was wearing low, silver-blue jeans paired with a black tank-top which had silver, geometric designs on it. Overtop was an un-zipped, short, orange vest. Both tops fell a little bit above her belly-button. Edward also noticed that her injuries were covered again as a precaution of making sure that they didn’t re-open.

“What?” she asked, blushing a little yet taking a defensive tone.

Edward shook his head, smiling. “Do you have tennis rackets?”

Leina nodded. “Yeah, we play sometimes, so we figured we might as well buy some.”

“I’m BAAAAAAAAACK!” a blue orb sang as it floated down the staircase, shooting over to bob by Leina’s head.

Leina frowned. “Luna, don’t do that!”

The orb slowly grew and then disappeared, leaving a full-human sized Luna. She was grinning. “But it was fun!”

Luna was wearing a cute, light blue tennis skirt with sparkles and a white polo shirt with blue edges. She spun around, making the skirt flair, and then posed.

“What do ya think? I just did a bit of magic-work to an old outfit... letting out some of the seams...”

Leina shot a side-ways glance at Luna. “Did you have to put the sparkles on it?” she complained.

Luna grinned. “Of course! They’re, like, my signature thing!”

Leina sighed, and Edward laughed at her reaction.

“I’m done!”

Leonna jumped over the railing, making a perfect, quiet landing. She stood up, hair pulled back into a high ponytail, holding her purple and silver racquet. “Ready to go!”

Edward got up off the sofa, smiling pleasantly. “Come on, then.”

Leina and Luna grabbed their racquets and walked out the front door. Edward followed, and then Leonna at the back, who locked the front door. She started walking over to the garage.

Edward turned to her, confused. “What are you doing?”

“What do you think you’re doing?” Leonna questioned. “The garage is over here.” She pointed to one of the large garage doors.

Edward chuckled. “Oh, we aren’t taking any cars... that’s no fun for any of us.” He turned to Luna. “Luna, wouldn’t you rather fly than ride in a car?”

Luna gave Edward a suspicious look. “Would we be taking your car?”

“No. Even if we were taking cars, we wouldn’t be taking my Volvo,” he confirmed.

Luna smiled happily. “Then flying is better!” she answered, nodding, as if that decided the matter.

Leonna walked over to Edward. “So... if we aren’t driving... then how are you expecting to get to your house?”

Edward smirked. “We’ll run, of course.”

“But Leina can’t run that fast.”

Everyone turned to Leina, who had folded her arms across her chest, not enjoying being left out of the conversation. “Thanks, guys... just forget that I’m here...”

Edward walked over behind Leina, took a silent, deep breath, and leaned down next to her ear. “We haven’t forgotten you, Leina.”

A shiver went up Leina’s spine. She didn’t dare move, just in case.

“Plus... I’ll just go slack-jawed again ‘cause of those dumb, beautiful eyes...”

Edward chuckled and straightened up again.

"You intend to carry her." Leonna's shoulders slouched as she realized his plan.

Leina's eyes widened as she glanced at Edward. "What?!?" she screamed in surprise. Edward nodded to confirm again.

Leonna sighed, scratching the back of her neck. "You know I won't be able to catch up with you, even if I'm in another form." Leonna glared at him; he frowned and cocked his head. He watched her reach behind her ear and scrape the patch off, wincing from the pain.

"Are you sure you want to do that?" he asked, taking a step towards her.

Leonna winced again, keeping her eyes shut. "Yeah... I have to keep up with you vampires somehow," she cracked a smile, "I have a temporary on my ankle that works as a minor drug. Sort of like the backup lights that come on when a fuse breaks."

"Now you have an advantage. I had trouble fighting you in my thirsty form; how can I beat you in a normal game of tennis?" Edward questioned aloud.

"We're even, you were one of the feistiest vampires I've ever fought. But I'll go easy on you," she replied, smirking.

Edward returned the look.

"All right," Luna said, "I'll meet you all at Edward's house!"

She started shrinking form in a glowing, white-blue light.

"Wait," Edward called, "You need to know how to get to my house; you've never been."

"That's fine! I can find it!"

"Yeah, right..." Leina muttered under her breath with an agreement nod from Leonna.

"But you need some kind of directions!"

"Directions? Who needs directions!" she yelled out, laughing as she sped off out of view into the forest.

Edward turned to Leina, who had slowly moved away from him ever since they had talked about him carrying her. That was just a disaster waiting to happen! He smirked. "Come on, Leina."

Leina tilted her head, giving him an untrusting look. "Are you serious?"

He nodded, chuckling. "Yes, I am."

She shook her head. "No thanks, I'll just walk."

"Leina, now you're just being stubborn. That will take far too long."

Leina turned to Leonna. "I think he's beaten me on the impatience scale!" She turned back to Edward. "I can drive, then. I'll be right behind you."

Edward laughed, shaking his head. "No, you won't. That car of yours won't be able to beat us... plus, you don't know the way."

Leina looked over at the garage, trying to figure out a way she could get out of this.

"Leina," he said, her name sounding beautiful said by his own voice, "You have no other choice, okay? Just please stop being difficult."

Leina slowly walked over, head hung in shame.

"Just go with him," Leonna said. Then she walked past Edward. Leina barely heard her mumble, "Go easy on her, 'kay?"

Edward laughed.

Leina's eyes opened wide in horror. "Leonna, what do you mean by that?!"

Leonna just started walking away, a silent grin on her face. "She has no idea what she's in for..."

Leina looked up at Edward frantically. "Edward, WHAT DOES SHE MEAN?!"

Edward feinted ignorance. "I have no idea... I suppose you'll just have to find out!"

Leina whirled back to yell at Leonna, but she was all ready gone. "LEONNA, GET YOUR FELINE BUTT BACK HERE NOW!!!" she screamed with a slight note of hysteria.

Edward only laughed.

Leina turned back to him. "Stop laughing at me!"

He tried to suppress the laughter in an attempt to look serious. "Not you, only your reaction."

Leina frowned and closed her eyes, sighing. Except the sigh sounded more like a growl due to her frustration.

"Come on," she heard him coax.

She flickered open her eyes. He was holding out a hand to her. Leina cautiously took his hand. "So, now what? How is this going to work?" she asked, still not liking the whole "perfect vampire guy has to carry the poor, human girl." "Is he going to pick me up or what?"

Edward turned his back to her, then crouched down slightly. "Just get on my back."

Leina stared at him. "You... are not... serious..."

Edward turned his head. "Yes, I am, now come on; we're wasting time."

"Well, sorry for wasting your time..." Leina mumbled, tentatively putting her arms around his neck.

"I didn't say that." Edward sighed, shaking his head. Then he turned and looked over his shoulder at Leina, attitude changing. "Are you ready?"

"Do you have a multiple personality disorder?"

"I asked if you were ready."

"Ready for wha-"

Right then, Edward took off running.

Leina's eyes flew open in a mix of fear and surprise. The trees around them were whipping by faster than they did while Edward was driving. All Leina could see were flashes of different shades or green, brown, and gray; the colors of the Forks forest. Leina's knees gripped Edward's sides, trying to make sure she didn't fall off. She heard and felt him chuckling to himself as he ran.

"I can't even close my eyes..." Leina thought. Even her thoughts seemed to come and go quickly. She couldn't focus on anything; visually or mentally.

"Edward... close... trees... zooming... focus... can't!!!"

"Are you enjoying yourself up there?"

Leina then realized that, besides the fact that she was racing through the forest on the back of a vampire at a "fall off? your screwed" pace... she was enjoying it. She liked the speed out here.

"Surprisingly? Yes..."

Leina liked the speed. It was the first time in a long time. She didn't usually like cars speeding. She wouldn't even go above 60 mph if she could help it. Working on cars, improving them... it was one of her hobbies. But driving fast in the car? That was usually different... speed usually meant injury in Leina's book, and she tried to avoid it with automobiles.

She closed her eyes and slowly let go of Edward’s neck, squeezing her legs as hard as she could. It felt almost like she was flying!

“Careful!” Edward said as he jumped over a collection of tree roots. In midair, Leina felt her legs lessen their hold. Edward grabbed her legs with his hands, making sure she wouldn’t fall.

Then, in a time that seemed like a forever that ended too soon, Edward stopped running. Leina opened her eyes.

She was standing in a small meadow of a front lawn, shaded completely by gigantic cedar trees. The slightly washed out white house in front of them was almost ageless, three-stories visible with a large wrap-around porch in the front. It was the kind of house that made you want to go in. Even though it felt like a very refined place, it made one able to relax there.

Leina's mouth hung open in utter amazement. Edward turned, then realizing that he couldn't see her expression, took hold of her arm and spun her around himself. He grabbed her other hand and spun her around a half turn; Edward now had Leina in front of him, facing away from him at the house, her hands held by his own.

"How do you like the house, Leina?" he asked softly.

Leina tried to put her thoughts into words, but was having trouble making them add up to the grandeur of this building. Words couldn't describe her thoughts; they hadn't been created yet. "Maybe new words should be created to be able to describe things like this... or anything dealing with the Cullens in general..."

"So?" Edward whispered, breaking Leina out of her thoughts, "What do you think?"

Leina smiled as she gazed up at the house. "It's... incredible, Edward..." She could almost sense the magic that this place seemed to hold.

Edward smiled fondly down at Leina, happy about how she had reacted to his house.

"HEY! What took you guys so long?!" a voice from above called.

Edward quickly let go of Leina's hands as they looked around, trying to find the source of the yelling. They heard laughing; it sounded like more than one person. Edward chuckled and touched Leina's shoulder, turning her. He pointed up into a group of higher branches in one of the cedar trees.

Leonna, Alice, and Luna were all sitting up in the branches, giggling like a group of chimps. Alice was lowest to the ground, laying on her stomach, grinning down at them. Leonna was perched like, well, like a cat on a branch in the middle of the other two. Luna was hanging upside-down by her legs looped over one of the highest branches.

Edward smirked at Leina, then turned to the tree bunch. "Leina was being difficult, but we finally got here."

The tree girls laughed, all hopping down from the tree.

Leina blushed in embarrassment. "I was not."

Edward only chuckled, figuring it was best not to argue with her when she was being this stubborn, and ruffled her hair.

"Hey, knock it off!" Leina demanded.

He chuckled again, but complied. "Would you all like to go inside while we wait for Jasper, Rosalie and Emmett?"

"Oh no," Leonna started, "That's ok; we could just wait-"

"Ok, sure!" cried Luna, grabbing Alice's hand. The two started skipping up to the front door. "Yay! I get to see Edward and Alice's house!"

Leonna and Leina turned to each other, sighing in unison and shaking their heads at their hyper-active friend. Edward was laughing next to Leina, trying to suppress it as best he could. "Well, since they're all ready going inside, let's follow... Shall we?"

Leonna sighed again in defeated agreement. "Might as well..."

Edward led them up the front porch and held the front door open for them.

Leina's mouth almost fell open again. She was standing in a gigantic, open space that couldn't have initially been one room. To the right of the front door was a huge, curving staircase which led up to the next floor.

Luna ran about half way up the staircase, then slid down the banister, giggling the whole way. "This is the best banister-slide ever!" she screamed once she hit the bottom. Then she ran over to the southern wall. "Luna, Leonna; come look at this!"

"Luna," Leonna started, disapprovingly, "You really shouldn't run about other people's houses like this-"

"It's all right," Alice said, chuckling, "We don't mind. That staircase was built to last!"

Edward turned to Leonna and Leina. "Go ahead, go look."

The two slowly walked over to where Luna was standing, pointing and grinning excitedly. The southern "wall" was actually one giant window. The wall had been replaced with glass. Both Leina's and Leonna's eyes grew wide as they stared down at the gorgeous view the Cullens' had. They could see the Sol Duc River, snaking its way across the lush, emerald green forest of Washington.

"It's incredible..." Leina whispered, almost afraid that her words would break the magic.

Leonna turned around, her eyes opening, a smile slowly forming on her face. "Leina, turn around."

Leina's eyes didn't leave the forest. "What is it?" she asked impatiently. She heard Leonna walk quickly over to another part of the house. “What could possibly be more beautiful than this?” she asked herself, then remembered the one person who was. She blushed furiously, frowning, hating herself for how easily her emotions showed.

“Trust me, Leina... you’re going to want to see this...”

Leina turned, hints of irritation on her face. All of them melted away as she saw the thing Leonna was standing next to. To the left of the door was an almost mini-stage; a slightly raised platform which had a beautiful grand piano set up on top. The ebony and ivory keys almost seemed to glisten in the sunlight that poured in from the enormous window.

Leina slowly started walking toward the magnificent instrument, as if in a daze. Leonna slowly stepped away from the piano as Leina approached it. Leina ran her fingertips over the top and down onto the keys.

Edward saw how captivated Leina was by the piano. He silently walked behind her and leaned down, his head right next to hers. “Do you play?”

Leina stayed as still as she possibly could, surprised by his sudden close proximity to herself. “Um... a little...” she said, the words barely audible.

Luna laughed, making Edward straighten up and turn. “Only a little? Bull!”

“Leina’s been playing since she was eight,” Leonna explained.

Alice walked over, too. “That long?!”

Edward turned to Leina, an astonished look on his face. “Really?

Leina blushed again, turning her head away from him.

Edward smiled. “Then you should play something.”

Leina turned, caught off guard. “Oh no, no way!”

Leonna smirked. “Leina, we have time. You know you want to play.”

Leina looked back at Edward, the look he was giving her smothering her will.

“Please?”

Leina frowned, turning away from “... dazzling... again...” she mumbled. “Not fair...”

Edward chuckled again, pushing her towards the bench. Leina grudgingly sat down. “What do you want me to play?”

Leonna and Luna walked over. Leonna set one hand on Leina’s shoulder. “Play your favorite, “ she whispered, “I know he’ll like that one.”

Leina turned to the keys, positioning her hands. She started tentatively, then threw herself into the flowing melody and chords. She closed her eyes, knowing where all of the keys were, getting into the music. She started playing with more feeling, the lower notes of the left hand driving her. Edward could feel the sadness and longing in the song as it began. She repeated the refrain of the song, complicating it a bit more by improvising as she played it a second time, the song sounding more hopeful this time. Finally, the temp slowed as the theme was played for the last time, played with unbelievable feeling. Then, she paused as she hit the last two notes, the song seeming like it ended too soon.

All remained quiet in the room, the last chords seeming to echo in their ears. Edward couldn’t help but look down at Leina. Never had he heard a human so young play so well... and with such feeling! Luna and Leonna stared down proudly at their friend.

Then, they heard loud clapping coming from behind them. Everyone turned, trying to see who it was. The three girls’ eyes widened as they stared at the gorgeous couple who were gliding down the stairs.

The man was tall, looking a little over six feet, and was very young, most likely in his early twenties (at least in appearance). He had light blond hair and golden eyes like the rest of the Cullens. The woman was shorter, about the girls’ height, with waving caramel-colored hair. Both were clapping enthusiastically, pleasant smiles on their faces.

“Wow, that was simply amazing! I am assuming you are Miss Saxen, am I correct?” the handsome man questioned, extending his hand to Leina. Leina shot up from the bench, banging her knee on the overhang. Edward snickered as Leina blushed, shaking the man’s hand.

“Yes, sir. I’m Leina. It’s very nice to meet you Mr. Cul-”

“Please,” he said, smiling, “You can just call me Carlisle.”

Leina smiled back. It was hard not to. “Then it’s very nice to meet you, Carlisle.”

Carlisle walked over to Leonna and Luna, shaking their hands in turn. “It’s very nice to meet all of you ladies.” Then he turned, gesturing towards the woman. “This is my wife, Esme.”

The woman gave each girl a hug. The three girls weren’t used to having a motherly-like figure like that around, especially one that would hug them the first time meeting them. But they hugged her back none the less.

“I’m Luna!” Luna said loudly.

Esme, Carlisle, Alice and Edward all laughed. Esme smiled at Luna. “Well then, Luna, it is very nice to meet you.”

“We’re just waiting for everyone else to come down,” Edward explained.

“I see,” Carlisle answered, “And what are you all off to do?”

“Jasper challenged me to a tennis game,” Leonna explained, “So we decided that it would be fun if everyone joined in.”

Carlisle nodded. “That’s a good idea. I’m sure everyone could make use of the good weather.” Everyone looked outside. Only a few occasional clouds blocked the bright sunlight of the day.

Right then, Emmett, Rosalie and Jasper all paraded down the curved staircase, not a sound made by any of them.

"I don't think I'll ever get used to this whole 'mystical people making no sound' thing..." Leina thought dryly.

Emmett, grinning widely, strolled over and stood next to Luna, followed closely by Rosalie, a blank look on her face. Leina wasn't sure whether she was happy to be heading out or disappointed that she had to spend her weekend with Leina, Leonna and Luna. Jasper's feet seemed to be in constant motion, gliding, as he walked over to Alice, taking her hand in his. All three couples were standing like that, making the other three girls and Edward the odd ones out. Leina tried not to pay attention to the obvious love between all of them. It was almost painful.

"All ready to go?" Edward asked pleasantly.

Everyone nodded and picked up their rackets from a pile behind one of the white chairs. With a final wave to Carlisle and Esme, the group of eight filed out of the house.

Emmett grinned. "So, is everyone ready to go?"

Leina looked around, not seeing any cars. She turned her head up to look at Edward, a mixture of worry and slight anticipation expression. "We're not running again, are we?"

The rest of the group laughed at her. Leina blushed again. This seemed to be becoming a habit of hers: she says something serious and ends up making the non-humans laugh at her, causing her to turn red in embarrassment.

Edward's brilliant smile flashed in Leina's direction. Her heart did somersaults in her chest, making it harder for her to breath normally. She tried to calm herself down, breathing in as slowly as she could.

"Yes, we are. We have to if we want to get as far away from the town as we can," he explained.

Leina's head tilted. "I don't understand..."

Emmett tried to explain. "You see, Leina, when we play, we can be very... loud. You'll see what I mean when we get there! I'm sure Leonna understands."

Leonna nodded. "Perfectly."

"So, where are we going?" Luna asked, obviously excited.

"I know an area that's clear and the ground is hard enough to play," Alice volunteered. "I set up everything all ready. If you all could just follow me... we could get there in no time!" She then turned to Luna. "Will you be flying, Luna?"

"Of course!" Luna confirmed, turning into a miniature version of herself, only a few inches tall. "I'll just go like this!" She flew upwards, hovering a good ten to fifteen feet above them.

Alice nodded, then turned to the rest of the group. "Is everyone else running?"

Leina's brow furrowed as she stared hard at the ground. "Not me..."

"You're running with me," Edward explained patiently, "I'll carry like I did before."

Leina started to protest. "But-!"

"Leina," Leonna said, forcefully, "Just go with Edward."

"Impatient to be beaten, are we?"

Leina turned, surprised. It was the first thing Jasper had said all day.

Leonna laughed competitively. "Yeah, we'll see who's the one beaten... Just you wait..."

Edward turned to Leina again. "All right, get onto my back."

"Do I have to?"

His eyes became as hard as true gold. "Would you rather me carry you in my arms or ride on my back?"

"Could I choose neither?"

"Leina..." he warned.

"Couldn't I just run at my own pace behind you all?"

Edward shook his head impatiently. He grabbed her hand, pulling her towards himself. Leina practically crashed into his stone-like chest. He leaned down and swept her legs out from underneath her, Leina having no time to react.

"Start running," he commanded.

The rest nodded and zoomed off with Alice in the lead.

Again, Leina felt the exhilaration of the speed as they all shot through the forestry. She could still only make out the colors, figuring they must be the trees and bushes and such. Then she looked up. Edward seemed to be concentrating on what was before him, following Alice. Then he seemed to notice that her cool blue eyes were looking up at him.

"What is it?"

All of a sudden, Leina felt extremely self-conscious. She looked down and started to squirm, trying to loosen herself from his iron grip. That was impossible; it just tightened all the more.

"What are you doing?" he questioned.

"I want you to put me down."

"Impossible. Sorry," he answered bluntly, snorting.

"NOW!" Leina demanded.

Edward halted, glaring down at her. "What?" he asked, definitely annoyed.

Leina blushed. She knew she was acting just a bit immature. But having his beautiful eyes smoldering down at her? It was just too much to take...

"Could I just switch to your back? Having you stare down at me is... making be uncomfortable..."

He just looked down at her, as if he was trying to see into her thoughts. Then, he finally gave up and set her down on her own feet. Edward turned around, letting her climb onto his back.

"Thank you," she said as politely as she could.

Edward nodded and took off again. Leina sighed, closing her eyes, loving the feeling of the wind against her face. She leaned her head back, making sure to keep a strong hold on Edward's neck.

"You really enjoy this..." Edward mused.

Leina nodded, knowing he could feel it. "I feel safe here."

Edward chuckled. "More than strapped into my car?"

"Yes... it's something about cars..."

He seemed to know not to press the issue, thus remaining silent. He took one of the hands she had clasped to his shoulders in his hand, interlacing their fingers. Leina tried not to think about what she knew she would end up thinking about if she pondered those thoughts any longer. He squeezed her hand, sensing how much it was hurting her.

Finally, they exploded out into a clearing. Enormous trees surrounded it, yet the sunlight was let through in patches, making the Cullens' and Hales' skin sparkle and glitter, as Edward's had earlier that morning. There was barely any grass, and the few patches that were there were unbelievably short. Alice had set up a tennis net in the center. Lines had been drawn in the dirt, making the court a bit bigger than a normal one.

Edward spun Leina off his back, setting her down on her own feet. The two walked over to where the rest of the group was standing. Apparently, they were trying to figure out teams and such.

"Should we start with a doubles game?" Jasper suggested. "That way, a group of us can warm up."

"Sounds fine to me," Leonna confirmed.

"Could I join?" Leina asked.

Alice smiled kindly at Leina. "You better sit this one out... I have a feeling that Jasper and Leonna need to get their competitiveness out of their systems."

She wasn't happy about it, but Leina nodded in agreement.

"Rose and I'll sit this first one out, 'kay?" Emmett said.

"Aw! That's no fun!" Luna pouted, "I wanted to see Emmett play Leonna..."

Emmett laughed. "You can see me play later, all right, Luna?"

The three inch fairy nodded happily, then flew off to sit on one of the poles of the net to watch the match. Rosalie and Emmett walked over to the opposite side line and sat down.

"So, what are the teams going to be?" Leonna questioned.

"How about..." Alice thought aloud, "Jasper and I against Leonna and... Edward?"

"Oh, no... that's ok," Leonna said, shaking her head. "I can just be my own team."

"What's wrong, Leonna?" Edward asked, a teasing manner in his voice.

"Yeah, what could you have against Edward?"

Leonna's eyes widened in mock-fury as she pointed to her wounds. "The dipshit bit me!”

Edward frowned unhappily, all traces of humor gone. Alice, Luna and Jasper burst into full-out laughter. Leina collapsed onto the ground, clutching her stomach, laying on her side as she laughed.

Edward stared down at her. “It’s not that funny.”

Leina wiped away a tear from the corner of her eye, brought on by her giggling. “I’m sorry, Edward...” she tried to say, her speech broken up by giggling. “It’s just how she said it...”

Edward folded his arms over his chest. “I think I’ll just sit out the first round and wait until Leina calms down...”

With one last chuckling look at Leina and Edward, Leonna and the other two went over and took their respective positions on the court.

“Are you almost done laughing?”

Leina’s giggling slowly subsided to an occasional outburst. She slowly opened her eyes. Edward, his glorious face blocking the sun rays, was leaning over her, glaring down at her.

Leina attempted to stop her giggling completely. “Yes... just about...” She switched her position so she was laying on her back, hands behind her head, gazing up. Edward was sitting down, leaning back on his hands, looking down into her face.

Leina noticed his expression, finding it peculiar. “What’s wrong?”

He shook his head, closing his eyes. “Nothing at all.” He continued to look down at her. “What are you thinking?”

Leina closed her own eyes, a small grimace forming on her face. “I’m thinking you staring down at me like that is making me feel like a museum exhibit.” He laughed at that; she decided to continue with the joke. “Yes, folks, step right up! Come see the human! Vampires, cat-humanoids, pixies! Come one, come all!”

Edward continued to laugh, rolling his eyes at her. “Well, since you don’t want me watching you... what DO you want to do until they’re done playing their game?” He smirked down at her.

Leina blushed, shifting again, comfortably leaning back on her elbows. “Well, you could start an actual conversation.”

He chuckled. “What would you like to talk about?”

Leina thought for a moment in silence. “You want to do another ‘question-answer-repeat’ session?”
Edward’s expression became slightly more guarded, but he agreed. “All right... are you asking the first question?”

“Yes; it was my idea.” She turned her head to grin triumphantly at his angelic, frowning face. “What about before you were... ‘turned’...? What was your life like before that?”

Edward stared hard at her, slightly frustrated with her. “Yet again, that’s a topic; not a question...”

Leina just waited patiently, staring up at him, wanting him to start talking.

“I was born on June twentieth-”

Leina’s eyes opened in disbelief. “That’s MY birthday!”

Edward seemed slightly amused by that. “Yes, but I was born on June twentieth... 1901.”

Leina’s eyes shot back down. “Well, that’s a bit of a difference...”

He laughed at that. Leina was glad that, at the very least, they could start on a happier note.

"I've told you parts before. I lived in Chicago, Illinois with my parents-"

"What were your parents' names?" Leina burst out.

Edward gave her a hard look. "May I tell the story without your interruptions, please?"

Leina looked down and nodded guiltily. "Yes, sir..." She pretended to zip up her lips and lock them shut.

A small, crooked smile formed on his face as he continued. "My parents, Edward and Elizabeth Masen. When I was seventeen, as I told you, I got very sick. My whole family had caught influenza."

He paused, taking a deep breath, closing his eyes.

"He's remembering bits of his past..."

Leina reached out her hand, hesitating before lightly touching her fingertips to the top of his hand. Edward seemed to tense after the initial touch, as if he was testing himself to make sure he could stay in control. Then he relaxed again.

Once she had felt that he was in control of his urge, Leina slowly and lightly rubbed his hand with her index finger. Edward sighed softly, her rhythmic touch comforting him.

"My mother knew that Carlisle was different --remember, he was a doctor there-- and apparently begged him, before she and my father had died, to save me... and then Carlisle snuck me out and changed me," he added simply.

An involuntary shiver ran through Leina. She turned and looked at the tennis game, trying to absorb everything she had just heard. She could only see a neon, yellow blur, traveling back and forth between the three players.

"Are you all right?" Edward asked her quietly, having felt her tremble. "Did I..."

"No," Leina answered, shaking her head slightly, "It's fine... just a lot to take in at one time." She shot him, what she hoped was, a reassuring smile. He smiled a little bit, still unsure about how Leina was feeling. Leina smirked. "All right, you can ask a question now."

Edward pondered what question he should ask, staying silent for a moment. He leaned back quickly, laying down on his back, his hand still in the same position. Leina had barely seen him move.

"Sorry," he apologized.

Leina shook her head again. "No, it's ok. Now come on!" Leina insisted, getting impatient. "What's your question?"

Edward looked up into her eyes. "How did your family die?"

Leina looked surprised for a moment, then her expression reverted back. "I should have seen THAT coming..." She tried to think back, where to start. "Well... there was me, my mom... my dad... and my two brothers. William... was the oldest... Rian was my little brother..."

Edward seemed to sense how much pain she was in. He squeezed her hand. "You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to..."

Leina sighed. "No, it's fine... I just haven't talked about it with many people... I'll be ok, just wait a moment..." She took a very deep breath, then continued. "My dad decided that we should all go for a drive to the lake. You know, as an over-night trip or something. We were driving, and it was getting late... Then... I heard my parents saying something about watching ahead of them. I looked in front and saw four headlights glaring at us through the blackness. And then I felt something hit us, and then everything went completely black. I had fainted," she explained.

Leina sighed. "Turns out it was two street racers. They sped off before anyone could've gotten their license plates or anything... When I regained consciousness, I realized that a fire had started in the front seats. I saw that none of my family was moving... so I... I..." Leina was finding it harder and harder to say. She ended up choking out the last few words. "I dragged them all out... I was eight or something... dragging dead bodies out of a car... then I sat on the curb, waiting..."

No tears were coming out of her eyes. This surprised Leina greatly. "I wonder why... I cried when I told Luna and Leonna..."

Edward squeezed her hand again. "I'm sorry..."

Leina shook her head, shrugging. "It's not like it was your fault." She turned her attention back to the game. It seemed that Leonna and Jasper were debating about whether the ball was in on that last hit or not. They were starting to ask Emmett and Rosalie for their opinions.

Edward quickly let go of Leina's hand as a breeze blew her scent into his face. He could've stayed like that forever, caught up in her scent. Then he wouldn't have to feel the after-shock. As the breeze subsided, the lilac smell settled around him. If this was only her scent, imagine what her blood would-

"No," he told himself sternly, regaining control over this horrid need. "I can't think about that." He closed his eyes.

"Edward? Hey, are you ok?"

"I have to be aware of it... but not think about it-"

"Edward! What's wrong?"

"I won't do that to her... I can't do that to her..."

"Edward!"

His golden eyes flashed open.

Leina was looking at him, worried, but trying not to show it. Then her head bent down. "It was the breeze... wasn't it?"

Edward nodded, grimacing.

"Sorry..."

Edward shook his head. "It's not something you can change. It's my problem... I just have to work at overcoming it."

Leina nodded, still feeling guilty.

"How about you ask your next question?" He pointed at the game. "I think we have enough time for one more."

Leina focused on a single blade of grass as she prepared to ask her next question. "Now, this is a confirmation thing for my actual question, okay?"

He chuckled. "Always trying to find a way around the limits."

Leina blushed. "What do you mean?"

"Well, you are spending time with me. Hanging out with a cat-humanoid, a pixie, and a family of vampires is breaking a bunch of human-relations rules, I'm sure," he teased.

"That's me," Leina replied sarcastically, rolling her eyes. "Always the rebel."

He laughed quietly again. "Now what is your 'confirmation' question?"

"All vampires have gold eyes?"

"Not all," he admitted, "only those with... hunting habits like my family."

Leina nodded. "So what were your eyes' original color?"

He snickered. "Do you really expect me to remember that far back?"

She shrugged. "It was worth a shot."

Edward shook his head. "I don't know... I'm pretty sure they weren't blue... and I don't believe I had brown eyes..."

Leina smiled. "I can see you having green eyes."

He shot her a perplexed glance.

"It would match your hair," she explained reluctantly.

Edward laughed again. Leina was starting to become addicted to that sound. She wished her mind would record it. That way, she could play it over and over in her head.

He reached up, holding a small section of his bronze, untidy hair out to examine for himself. "I suppose you're right."

Just then, Alice, Jasper and Leonna (followed by a hovering pixie) walked over to join them, their game finished.

"So who won?" Leina asked.

Leonna frowned. "Jasper did..." Then she whirled to face him, pointing. "But I was a rematch!"

Everyone burst into laughter. Emmett stood up from across the court. "Edward! I challenge you!" he yelled, laughing.

Edward shrugged, standing up and grabbing one of the tennis rackets.

"Yay!" Luna cried out exuberantly. "I get to see Emmett play now!"

"I wonder who'll win this one?" Leonna mused aloud.

Leina stood up next to her friend. "It's the big match of the VTO-"

"VTO?" everyone asked in unison.

"Vampire Tennis Open," Leina explained as they laughed, then going back to her self-declared-announcer voice. "It's the biggest match in the tournament! On the far side is Powerhouse Emmett Cullen!"

Everyone clapped as a huge grin spread on Emmett's face. "Powerhouse Emmett... I like it!"

Leina gave him a thumbs up as she continued. "And on the right side is Emmett's own brother! Forks' own Light Foot, Edward Cullen!"

They cheered as Edward shot them a mock-exasperated wave, rolling his eyes at his last minute “VTO” name.

Leonna tossed Emmett the ball, walking over to the net pole. “I’ll referee the match.”

Emmett grinned competitively at Edward. He threw the ball up slowly-

“Ace, Emmett.”

Leina’s eyes opened in surprise while the others were cheering.

“Nice smash serve!” Leonna called.

“Good job, Emmett!”

She hadn’t even seem them move! All of a sudden, the ball had been up in the air and then gone. Emmett just scored against Edward!

Edward walked back out of the woods, ball in hand. Leina hadn’t even noticed he was gone!

“Damn vampires... stupid inhuman speed...”

With a flick of his wrist, the ball shot over into Emmett’s open hand. Edward took his receiving position as Emmett bounced the tennis ball, readying his serve.

“You ready to be aced again, Edward?”

Edward smirked back calmly. “Just serve, Emmett.”

Leina only saw the ball be raised. A minute later, Leonna called out, “Point, Edward!”

“Okay,” said Leina, raising her hands. “I want a verbal instant replay!”

“Emmett smash-served, Edward returned with a ‘snake’ shot and scored a point.”

Their game continued as such, each scoring point after point at an impossible pace. Leina was having trouble keeping up. Finally, Alice explained what had happened each time.

“So, I’m confused... Who’s winning?”

Edward turned to answer Leina. “Obviously, I am.”

“No way in hell!” Emmett yelled competitively. “I am so kicking Edward’s-... Luna, give the ball back!”

Everyone laughed as Luna, giggling with hysteria, carried the ball as if it was floating, making it sail above Emmett’s head. Emmett, his competitive edge gone, guffawed as he tried to snatch the ball out of midair.

Leina laughed aloud, watching everyone’s playful banter. The atmosphere here was so magical... besides the fact that Leina was sharing the area with her non-human best friends and a family of vampires. She hadn’t laughed like this in a long while.

She laughed to herself without humor. “Wonder how long this’ll last...”

“Come on, Leina!” Alice called. “You can play this next round!”

Leina grinned, wiping these thoughts away as she grabbed her racket and jogged over, ready for a match.


“That weird curvy shot you made was completely illegal!”

Leina frowned at Luna. The whole group had been reviewing plays and other people’s shots for a while now. The two girls were now arguing over their last tennis match, which Leina had won.

“It was not illegal! It was a buggy-whip shot! Leonna,” she asked, turning to their referee, “it was legal, right?”

Leonna nodded reluctantly. “There were no shot-type restrictions.”

“Yes!” Leina yelled, raising her arms in victory, a triumphant grin on her face.

“Fine...” Luna pouted, then changed moods in a heart beat. “But when Emmett would serve and hit it really, really hard? That was awesome!”

“The placement was always good as well,” Rosalie suddenly added.

Emmett chuckled. "Thanks."

"Oh!" Alice suddenly jumped. "I just remembered!"

The group looked quizzically at the inky-haired girl.

“Halloween is on Wednesday! Are you three going to the dance?”

Leina, Leonna and Luna all looked at each other, trying to figure whether any of the others knew what Alice was talking about. Leonna turned to Alice. “Um, what dance?”

Alice’s eyes opened in shock. “’What dance’?! It’s the Forks High Halloween Dance!”

The three girls stared blankly at Alice as they came to the Cullen’s very long driveway.

Alice sighed in disappointment. Jasper chuckled. “Let me try, Alice. Every year, our school has a party celebrating Halloween. It’s not as big as prom or anything, but it’s probably up there with Homecoming.”

“Are you guys planning on going?” Alice finished.

Leonna turned to her friends to get their reactions. Luna was grinning excitedly, bouncing on the balls of her feet. “Luna seems to want to go...” She then turned to her other friend. Leina’s eyes were bulging in horror. “And... of course... she doesn’t...”

“I’m not sure,” Leonna said, trying to be diplomatic until the three of them could talk in private later. “We’ll have to see. We’d still have to get costumes and all... But we’ll figure it out soon and tell you all. Are you all going?”

Alice smiled. “I really want to go!”

Emmett chuckled. “I think we’re all going, whether we want to or not!”

“Well, I think we better be going... Leina?”

“Yeah, I think so, too... I’m starting to get really hungry...”

Luna laughed. “And her mood won’t be as good when she’s hungry!” She giggled, earning a death-glare from Leina.

The Cullens and Hales nodded. “Sorry to keep you from your lunch.”

“No prob!” Leina said. “It was fun!”

Leonna changed into her lioness-cat form, signaling with a twitch of her head for Leina to get on her back. Luna transformed into her glowing orb-form, bouncing with content through the air.

“See you all later!”

The family of vampires waved as the three girls sped off into the forest again.

Leina held on tight. Riding with Leonna was completely different from with Edward. With a vampire, you could barely tell they were moving, except for the wind. It was basically smooth sailing the whole way! With Leonna, you were clutching to an “animal’s” neck. You could feel all of the muscles working to run, feeling the powerful animal running beneath you. Leina should’ve been used to it by now, but it was still an odd experience, no matter what.

“Leina, we’re home.”

Leina jumped off of Leonna’s back as she morphed back into a human. Luna did the same as they walked up their front steps and into their house.

Leina collapsed on the couch. “Ugh... I’m beat...”

Leonna smirked. “Too beat to go get something to eat out?”

Leina eagerly shot up off of the couch. “Nope! Not at all!”

Luna laughed at Leina’s reaction. “Where are we going to eat?”

Leonna shrugged. “I don’t know... all I know is I’m starving and there’s got to be some sort of casual, sit-down restaurant in this small town... Come on, let’s go.”

“To... the Leonna mobile!!!”

Leina and Leonna laughed as they followed the bounding Luna out into the garage, grabbing each of their wallets, and Leina’s cell phone, from the counter.

"Can I sit shotgun?" Luna asked eagerly.

"Sure," Leonna approved.

"Wait!" Leina interjected, "I usually get shotgun..."

Leonna shrugged. "Well, she called it first..."

Leina reluctantly got into the back-middle seat of Leonna's Boxster while Luna and Leonna slid into the front seats. Leonna had opened the garage, slipped the car out of it and then started shooting down the street towards town.


"Oh, a McDonalds!" Luna shouted in the car.

Leonna sighed. "There are far too many fast-food restaurants... I want something a little better than just greasy food..."

Leina looked out the window. "Um... hey, guys? It's starting to get cloudy again..."

Luna started pouting. "Awwww!!! It's been sunny outside all day long! Why'd it have to go and get ruined?!"

Leina chuckled without humor. "Welcome to Forks, sweetie..."

"Oh, there's something!" Leonna said, whipping the car into a small parking lot.

Leina looked at the name of the restaurant they were pulling into. "Bootlegger's... well, that's promising..."

They got out of the car as soon as it started raining.

"Greeeeat... this is a good start..." Leina thought sarcastically.

Leonna held open the door for the skipping Luna and the soggy Leina, trudging along behind. The restaurant looked fairly decent, contrary to how the name suggested. It was a little more than half way full, which was another promising sign. They saw an ordering desk up at the front with giant menus behind them. The three slowly walked up to the counter. A peppy-looking girl with chopped-short, flaired-out, bleach-blonde hair smiled at them with white, shining teeth and a fire-engine red smile.

“Hello, and welcome to Bootlegger’s! What can I get you today?”

Leina stared at the girl.

Leonna seemed to be ignoring this whole thing. “Um... can I have a plate of lasagna, a side-salad... and an iced coffee, please?”

“I want a mac ‘n’ cheese, two orders of french fries, a chocolate milkshake, and a-”

“That’s it for her,” Leonna interjected, turning to Leina. “What about you?”

Leina looked up at the menu, almost afraid to turn back to the girl’s perky smile. “I’ll have... a quarter pounder with the works, a large fry, a medium Sprite and a medium chocolate milkshake.”

The girl’s eyes widened as she attempted to type everything in. “Um... your order will be ready shortly... take this,” she handed them their number order, “and please go have a seat anywhere you like!”

Luna took the number and followed the other two. They finally decided on a table near the back of the restaurant by a window. The rain was smacking into the windows, coming down a lot harder than a few minutes ago.

“Thank goodness we got inside!” Leonna muttered.

Leina smirked. “Right; cats don’t like water.”

Leonna shot Leina a sardonic “haha-very-funny” look while settling herself into her own chair, across from Leina.

Luna sat down next to Leonna on the inside chair, next to the window.

"So..." Leonna said tentatively, trying to start a conversation, "what do you both think about the Halloween Party at school?"

Luna grinned. "I think it'd be fun! We get to dress up in costumes and stuff, right? That'd be so much fun! It would be fun to hang out with everyone!"

Leonna smiled slightly. "Good points, Luna. Well, that's one vote for "yes"... Leina, what about you?"

Leina gave Leonna a look. "Do you honestly have to ask?"

Leona sighed. "But why don't you want to go?"

Leina thought for a moment. "Well... we still don't really know a lot of people. And there are going to be so many of them..."

Luna laughed out loud. "Leina, that's the point of a party! Getting to know more people!"

Leina glared at Luna. "I know that..." she mumbled. "But-"

"Here you are!"

Leina stopped talking as another peppy waitress set down all of the food.

"Is there anything else I can get you?"

Leonna smiled up pleasantly. "No, thank you, I think we're all set."

The waitress nodded and practically skipped away.

Leonna turned to Leina. "So, what was that you were saying?"

Leina sighed. "I mean, we just kind of got into town and all... and I never have anyone to talk to at parties besides you all... and Luna usually goes and gets sugar high," she patted Luna's head as Luna spooned giant globs of macaroni and cheese into her mouth, "and you usually go find somewhere to dance, or go hang with the DJ, requesting songs." She shrugged.

"Yes, but this time, we'll have the Cullens there to keep you occupied!"

Leina frowned. "Not the point..."

"Come on, Leina, please?" Leonna pleaded with her friend. "We haven't gone to a party in a long time, and we're planning on staying here for a while, right? We should get to know more people... humans included." She chuckled.

Leina looked over to Luna, who was giving her a smothering puppy-dog face.

Leina sighed. "All right, fine, I'll think about it... But I'm choosing my own costume!"

The two grinned, air-pumping twice then high-fived each other. ""YES!!!""

Rolling her eyes, Leina took a sip of her soda, then bit into her burger.

"So when can we get our costumes?!" Luna asked excitedly.

"How about tomorrow?" Leonna suggested. "The weekend will almost be over."

"Tomorrow... tomorrow..." Leina thought. "Tomorrow... do I have plans for-"

The realization hit Leina harder than running into a car. Moaning in frustration with her poor memory, she face-planted right into her basket of fries.

"Leina, what's wrong?!" Leonna questioned her frantically.

"I'm sorry, Jacob..."

"Jacob?! Where?!" Luna exclaimed happily, looking around the place.

"No... not here..."

A light pink rose to Leonna's face. "Leina, sweetie, what are you talking about?"

"Well," Leina started, "You remember when I went driving, right? Did I ever tell you where I went?"

Leonna shook her head. "No... I don't think so..."

"Well, I just started driving, right? Next thing I know, I-" Leina stopped. "Maybe I shouldn't tell her about almost hitting him..."

"Leina....?"

"Right, sorry. Next thing I know, I'm in La Push! I saw Jacob and talked to him for a while, and said that we should hang out sometime this weekend... I just remembered... he says 'hi', by the way..."

"That's great!" Luna exclaimed, her mac 'n' cheese finished now and moving onto finishing her multitude of fries. "He can come shopping with us tomorrow!"

Leonna chuckled. "Do you really think that Jacob wants to come shopping with us?"

"Sure, why not? It'd be fun!"

Leonna and Leina sighed. There was no way that a guy would go shopping for things like costumes and clothes and such... willingly.

"Well, I suppose that we could call him up or go visit him tomorrow," Leonna suggested.

"Well, we can't exactly call him..."

"Why not?"

Leina shrugged. "I don't have his number..."

Leonna sighed. "Fine, we'll go visit him-"

"But WHAT... ABOUT... THE COSTUMES?!" Luna yelled, spewing fries across the table. "We need to get the costumes if we're actually goin' to the party, remember?!"

"I'm still not that sure about going..."

Leonna and Luna groaned in frustration.

"But how about we go get costumes tomorrow as well, like Leonna said; I hadn't forgotten."

"So we'll go get Jacob, and then go?" Leonna asked. Luna and Leina nodded in agreement. "Man... I need a cell phone... this wouldn't be the case if I had one..."

Leina frowned. "What do you mean?!"

Leonna sighed. "I could have gotten Jacob's number..."

Luna laughed. "We'll both get them tomorrow!"

"All right, good plan..." Leina said, then burst into a grin. "But for now? Let's just finish our lunch!"