Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ Shooting Star ❯ Guests ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

CHAPTER 1: Guests
 
Edward had promised.
He promised we would try while I was still human.
Then he got my brains all jumbled up to the point where I insisted we got married first. Well that was a fine plan in all…but it's kind of hard to get it on with your new husband when the Volturi crash your wedding.
And yes you did hear me correctly. The Volturi crashed our wedding…
 
It was after the reception party, so it wasn't technically the wedding they crashed. It was in the Cullens backyard (which was unrecognizable thanks to the decoration job—courtesy of Alice). In order to keep from exposing the Cullens, we'd planned the wedding late, so the reception would be after dark.
We didn't want the guests wondering why the Cullens had spilled glitter all over themselves.
Thank God Charlie, Renee, Paul, Jessica, Mike, Tyler, Angela. and all the other humans on the guest list had gone home. I had kept hoping and hoping up to the point where I reached the altar in the church, staring into the crowd of faces…but Jacob never showed. I felt like I was about to cry, but when I looked into Edward's eyes…his beautiful, soft, golden eyes…I knew I had made the right choice.
“I really would like to help clean up, Alice,” I insisted, indicating to the toppled food table that I had upturned after a bout of the clumsiness I was always prone to. Edward's hand was comfortingly around my waist.
“Bella,” she sighed, her gorgeous midnight blue bridesmaid dress hugged her delicate curves, “It's your wedding day. You don't have to do any work!”
“She's right you know,” Edward's voice whispered in my ear, blowing cool air on my neck, making me jump, “In fact, if you try anything resembling work, I will have to stop you immediately.” I snorted.
“Yah, okay.”
“I will use force, if necessary,” he whispered, low enough so only I would hear. “But,” he relented, “I think you would like that a little too much.”
“You know what everyone's thinking,” I breathed, his hand on my waist was very distracting.
“Except you,” he said. Thank God for that at that very moment, because all sorts of images flooded my mind…none on the innocent side of the spectrum. “Mmm,” he murmured, brushing his lips across my cheek, “did I tell you how absolutely gorgeous you look today?”
“Many times,” I admitted. He shouldn't be talking. He looked like a God in his stunning white tuxedo. My eyes raked over his perfect face for the millionth time since I'd met him. God, would I never get enough of him?
“Oh, Bella!” Esme called, her bridesmaid dress whispering softly as she caught up to us.
“Yes, Esme?” I asked.
“I'd just—just like to thank you so much.” It looked like she was about to cry if that were possible.
“I haven't done anything.”
“Yes you have.” She looked back and for between Edward and me before pulling me into a tight hug. “Thank you so much for loving him,” Esme whispered in my ear.
“It's not like I have much of a choice,” I retorted, and she chuckled, turning to Edward and hugging him too.
“I'm just so happy to see the two of you together!” She said, turning to Carlisle who had walked up behind her, placing an arm around her shoulder. “Isn't this one of the best days of your life?” She asked him. Carlisle's cool gaze turned warm and soft.
“Congratulations, son,” he said to Edward. I felt as if I was invading a private father-son moment, so I looked away.
“Thank you so much, Carlisle. This is one of those days where I'm happy to be immortal.”
“Oh?” Carlisle's eyebrows shot up in an amused curiosity, “And why is that?”
“Because if I had died when I was supposed to, I would have never met her.” The expression on his face made me want to kiss him.
“Kiss her, kiss her, kiss her!” Emmett chanted from behind us, Rosalie (looking stunning as always) on his arm. I blushed.
And Holy Crow, did he ever kiss me.
“Yay!” Alice clapped. “Hey, Edward, you know—” I never got to find out what Alice was going to say because at that moment, two pairs of hands grabbed my arms roughly from behind and pulled me away from Edward.
“Bella!” He shouted, rushing towards me. I saw black robes swishing around from behind me. “Let her go!” Then it felt like two pins were pressing against my skin, almost breaking it but not quite.
“Take one more step and she dies,” the chilling female voice belonged to what I figured was the other set of hands. Edward froze.
My only thought before the panic set in was:
Oh great, and I thought I couldn't have a normal day with the Cullens.
“Dammit, get your hands off her,” Edward's voice was low and dangerous, a growl starting in his throat. I could see red glowing eyes in my peripheral vision. They scanned the surroundings.
“Congratulations to the new couple,” she snickered. “So sad we didn't get an invitation. I thought we were friends, Carlisle.” Wait a minute…
My blood ran cold. That was Jane's voice.
“It must've gotten lost in the mail,” Carlisle's face was calm, but his voice seemed the tiniest bit strained.
“What a shame. What a coincidence we arrived on the same date though. Looks like it was lots of fun. Great decorating Alice,” She said coolly.
“Thanks,” Alice's usually cheerful voice was dark and cold.
“My only problem being…” the fangs increased pressure the tiniest bit and I cried out.
“Bella!” Edward's voice called.
“…she's still mortal.”
“Remember, Edward. One step and the girl dies.” The male voice managed for form words while still keeping his fangs positioned on my neck. The voice was unfamiliar…strangely juvenile sounding.
“You wouldn't kill her. She's too important to you.” Edward's low voice accused.
“True,” Jane allowed, her red eyes luminescent in the moonless dark, “but we could turn her.”
“You wouldn't,” Edward's low dare frightened me.
“Oh wouldn't I? What a shame. Your love turned immortal by someone she doesn't even know. Sounds awfully familiar, doesn't it Alice?” Out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw Alice's hands balled into fists. “Jasper?”
“Get to the point, Jane.” Edward hissed, “Why are you here? You are unprovoked. We haven't broken any rules. You're the ones breaking code here.”
“Be that as it may,” her high voice said passively, “we are the top, after all. We make the rules, we break the rules.”
“What do you want, Jane?” Edward asked savagely.
“Why, her of course.” Her voice was high and cheerful.
“I'm sorry, but that's not going to happen.”
“Hmm, actually, I think it is. You see, you're not really in a position to be making demands, Edward Cullen. I'm holding all the cards now, so I would behave like a good little boy, or else someone…” Edward yelled in pain, his knees buckling beneath him. I saw Jane's mouth twitch up into a smile, “…is going to get hurt.” Alice rushed to his side, helping him up.
“Don't you dare hurt him,” I whispered fiercely.
“Ah, ah, ah,” Jane shook her finger at me, “don't move, dear.”
“Jane, we've done nothing to upset the Volturi and nothing to bring on an attack. Now, I would suggest you release Bella before things get violent.” There was an intensity in Carlisle's voice that scared me.
Before things get violent?” Jane asked innocently, as Carlisle grabbed his head, crying out in agony.
“Carlisle!” Esme shrieked, catching his arm and helping him back up.
Edward was still breathing hard from Jane's attack, but he looked over at Alice subtly. Alice's eyes widened the slightest bit and I thought I saw her head shake. Edward frowned. Then Alice nodded reluctantly. Jane's face was confused.
Obviously she wasn't as used to Alice and Edward's communications as I was.
“Jane…” Emmett growled, looking more and more like a rabid grizzly than a big teddy bear every second.
“Now, Alice!” Edward cried, and before I knew it, the pressure on my neck was removed and I was hurled into the air, caught by Jasper.
I looked over; a blur of pale skin and dark robes was twisting its way through the yard. I heard a cry of pain and saw a pale arm fly out of the whirlwind and tumble to the grass. Thank God it wasn't Edward's.
“Don't look,” Jasper's deep voice ordered me, and I buried my face in his shoulder.
“Now, everyone, go!” Edward shouted, and Jasper picked me up as if I was a paper clip and tossed me through the air. I shrieked as the weightlessness caught in my stomach, but I was caught by stony arms. “Shh, it's all right, now, Bella,” his soothing voice assured me.
“Next time we meet, Edward Cullen,” Jane's high voice shrieked, “her heart will be stopped one way or another!” Edward didn't look back.
We ran like heck. Well Edward and the rest of the Cullens did (I piggybacked).
A coupled of minutes later we stopped in the mountains, all of us still in our formal wear.” Jasper's watch told us it was around 1:00 AM. Edward hugged me tightly, kissing me all over.
“I love you so much, Bella,” he whispered.
“I know.” The run had caught my dress on a number of things so the hem was torn and the sleeves had stains on them. “Oh, Alice, your beautiful dress…”
“Its okay, Bella,” she said, tearing me away from Edward to hug me herself, “We're all just glad you're okay.” Edward stole me back.
“You still look gorgeous.”
“Thank you,” I whispered, kissing him softly.
“And I'm sorry, Bella,” his voice was sad, apologetic, and a little disappointed. I was confused.
“About what?” I asked. He leaned in to whisper just to me.
“We won't get to have our wedding night together,”
“Ah, shoot, that's right. Dang it!”
“I'm sorry,” he whispered, his lips trailing across my face.
“It's not your fault,” I said, brushing his beautiful wind swept hair away from his eyes. “Unless you called the Volturi yourself and said: “Hey, guys, c'mon over, we're havin' a weddin'!”” Edward chuckled.
“Nice southern accent.”
“Thank you. I practice.”
“Rosalie is going to go get a tent in Port Angeles. It's too dangerous for us to go back tonight or maybe even tomorrow night,” Carlisle said, undoing his tie. “Esme, Emmett, Rosalie, and I will share a tent, and Edward, Bella, Alice, and Jasper will share one.”
“Ah crap,” I groaned. “I won't get you all to myself for days!”
“I'm sorry,” he apologized.
“Stop saying sorry,” I commanded.
“Sorry,” he said, kissing me with a smile. “I don't suppose we could get away with it tonight?” I shook my head.
“I don't think Alice and Jasper would appreciate hearing us moaning all night.”
“No thank you,” Jasper's cool voice said.
Edward and I just laughed.