Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction ❯ Captain of the Guard! ❯ The Capital Saga! Ten ( Chapter 32 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Capital Saga: Part Ten

Mikage jerked backwards, clutching his head in his hands as he slammed into a wall. He stumbled, dropping to the floor with a loud thump.

'That bitch,' Mikage thought, his mind in turmoil, 'how did she...?'

Feedback from having a spell disrupted was agonizing to a magic user, even if one was prepared for it. Out on the battlefield a warmage would have defenses erected and a healer ready in case a spell was broken or worse, back-lashed on him. Mikage hadn't been expecting such resistance, hadn't prepared any such defense.

'I'll see them bleed for this,' Mikage thought, a trickle of blood running from his nose. He curled up into a ball, groaning, lost to his misery.

In another part of the great castle Nanami lead the way into the healer's ward, her long blonde hair falling down her back. "Hitomi!" she cried fiercely.

The brown haired healer looked up in alarm. "Has the Princess...?" Hitomi asked them worriedly, rising from where she tended a sleeping patient.

"No," Keiko shook her head, her brown braid bouncing. "But Utena's been hurt, fairly badly," she said gravely.

Hitomi's eyes narrowed. "Let's go," she said to them seriously, grabbing her bag of medical supplies and swiftly slinging it over her shoulder. "What happened?" she asked crisply as they hurried down the castle hallways.

"Mikage attempted to attack Shiori before she could try to track him," Nanami said to her crisply, "and Utena intervened. She somehow called the Sword of Dios to her to drive him off, but it was still hot from the re-forging."

"Goddess," Hitomi muttered and quickened her pace.

The three of them burst into the Princess' rooms, gazing at the figures within. Miki Kaoru lay unconscious to one side, while three figured gathered worriedly around a fallen figure. Anthy looked up as they entered and smiled in relief, "You're here at last."

Hitomi silently made her way to Utena's side, the others moving aside as she knelt down. The scent of burned flesh lingered there, the healer carefully examining both of Utena's injured hands. "I think I can help," she said firmly.

Anthy's eyes glittered with her unshed tears, short purple hair falling into her face as she softly said, "Thank you."

Juri watched intently as Hitomi cupped Utena's hands in her own, chanting softly as a gentle glow surrounded her hands. The orange haired woman shook her head as she said, "I hope that she knows what she's doing."

Shiori was firm, "Hitomi was the best, back in our mercenary days." The violet haired woman smiled slightly, "I've seen her deal with much worse."

"I hope so," Juri frowned.

Nanami watched a moment, then walked over to where the plain, unmarked sword had fallen to the floor. She reached out carefully, but it was cool to the touch. Cautiously she picked it up and carried it over to where Utena lay.

Utena groaned softly, then there was a fluttering behind her eyelids. Suddenly her eyes shot open as she sat up suddenly, "Anthy!"

"I'm all right," Anthy quickly said, clasping Utena close to her.

"I thought..., " Utena held her, then hissed in pain, jerking her hands back.

"The flesh of your hands is still very tender," Hitomi scolded fiercely, "it will take several days for you to fully recover." A bit more gently she said, "You'd be best advised to wear gloves for the next few days and take it easy." She paused, "Not that I think you will."

"Go help Miki," Utena ordered Hitomi crisply, then looked around, "Shiori?"

"Yes?" Shiori said as Anthy helped Utena to rise to her feet.

"Do you know where Mikage is?" Utena demanded, leaning on Anthy for support. It almost looked like the warrior's legs were going to collapse right under her, but she remained standing as if by the force of her will alone.

"I can find him," Shiori quietly agreed, "I had nearly done so earlier when he sent his astral form to interfere."

Juri's eyes widened, "You cant be planning to...?"

"We need to go after him now," Utena said, steadying her wobbly legs. She shook her head a few times to clear it, flexing her aching fingers as she continued, "He knows we're on to him, if we don't go for him now he'll flee."

"Or he'll prepare a devastating final assault to attempt to achieve his goals," Nanami offered grimly. "We must act."

"We've got a little time," Shiori noted, "the backlash of the banishment of his astral form will have left him weakened. But not for too long."

"You're in no shape to try this, Utena," Hitomi muttered as she directed several of the castle servants in taking the unconscious Miki out of the room. "Shiori, talk some sense into them," she appealed to the dark haired sorceress.

"You know Utena just as well as I do," Shiori was smiling slightly as she looked over at Utena, "when she gets like this there's no talking to her." Then she shrugged at Hitomi before adding, "Besides, I think she's right."

"Fools," Hitomi muttered, taking the injured Miki away.

Utena took the Sword of Dios from Nanami, wincing slightly as her fingers closed around the hilt. Anthy caught that pained expression and sighed, "I'll get you some gloves."

"Thank you," Utena smiled as she slipped the while gloves on, wrapping her fingers around the sword more comfortably.

"I'm going with you all, of course," Anthy said calmly.

"Of course," Utena agreed.

"What?!" Nanami blurted.

Anthy gave her a smile as she explained, "Utena can do one of two things. She can split her forces to both guard me and attack Mikage, which lessens her chances to succeed at either mission, or she can bring me along."

"About what I figured," Juri agreed.

Utena looked over the group of determined young women around her. "I won't command any of you to go with me, however," she said, "I have no idea what we're going to be facing or the risks we may be taking."

"I'm going," Shiori said simply, "I want a shot at Mikage."

"Where she goes, I go," Juri kept her answer short and to the point.

Nanami looked at Utena thoughtfully, then looked over to where Anthy had taken her captain's hand. "I'm going," she smiled, "my honor demands nothing less."

"I don't really care about my honor," Keiko said quietly, "but you're all my friends." She looked over at Nanami and blushed faintly, "Or more than friends, and I will not let you face this danger alone. I'm in."

"Looks like we're decided," Utena said. She flashed a sudden smile, "Not that I didn't think you weren't all coming."

"Then why did you ask?" Keiko blinked.

"Thought I should give you the option," Utena shrugged. She nodded to Shiori, "It looks like it's time to go."

Shiori closed her eyes and began to chant, cupping her hands in front of her as the power rose up around her. Her hair was stirred by an unfelt breeze, the mage robes that she wore swirling around her legs. Shiori's eyes snapped open, glowing golden as she said, "Let's go."

Shiori strode out the door, the others following behind her...

To be continued...