Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction ❯ Elle M'A Donné de Faux Miracles ❯ A Vow ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I do not own Revolutionary Girl Utena, or any of the characters that are involved in it. Shoujo Kakumei Utena - la fillette revolutionnaire -" is a copyrighted work. (C) Be-PaPas, Chiho Saito / Shogakukan, Shokaku Iinkai, TV Tokyo. All references and poetry that I did not create belong to their respective owners. All original characters, poetry, and song lyrics that belong to me should not be used without express permission and notification. Thank you.
 
Author Note:I would simply like to say thank you so much to those who so kindly commented on this piece. I really appreciate the words of encouragement and advice. I'm starting in sync with the series itself, but I plan to move the story away from there in the future. Thank you for your patience everyone
 
 
For all things that turn to barreness
In the dim glass the demons hold,
The glass of outer weariness
Made when God slept in times of old.
There, through the broken branches, go
The ravens of unresting thought;
Flying, crying to and fro
Cruel claw and hungry throat
W.B. Yeats, “The Two Trees”
 
 
Chapter Two: A Vow
 
Juri Arisugawa sat idly in class, staring out of the window. On the desk top in front of her rested her mechanical pencil and a page of neatly written notes. Her pencil box rested at the upper left corner of the wood space. Everything organized and in its place, her bag resting at her feet. The classroom was in a lull of study, pages turned, papers rustled. All was quiet and calm. Except in her own mind.
 
Her mind was a whirl of chaotic thoughts and brooding. She couldn't think past what had happened the day before. And try as she might, she just couldn't make sense of it. What had really happened? Had a sword really come bursting from her chest? Was she becoming like the Rose Bride?
 
A cleared throat caught her attention, and her eyes narrowed dangerously. The teacher loosened his tie nervously and asked if she would read the passage in the book. Not even in the mood to humor him, she closed her book, stood, picked up her bag and walked out of class. The students stared in shock and admiration as she cooly turned over her shoulder, “Council Buisness.”
 
She left the building and head for the building that housed the elevator that was used for the student council's meetings. As she did so, she stopped and looked up at the school bells that rested silently since Tenjou's last duel. Things were becoming out of hand. First Touga dropped into introverted solitude since his defeat by the victor, then his sister took over…God how that girl annoyed her. And then the odd duel involving the Chairman's fiancee. Just what was going on? And according to Tenjou who had found her coming painfully out of the fencing hall, looking worse for the wear since her collapse, she fought Shiori of all people! Since when had Shiori taken up fencing? The Rose Bride and Utena had had to carry the unconcious girl back down those damn stairs and had taken her to her room, where she woke up remembering nothing of the incident. And according to Juri's sources, such was the case with Ms. Ohtori.
 
These incidents, and her own rather embarassing accounts, needed to be brought up and addressed by the council. So far, two unsanctioned duels had taken place, and yet there was not so much as a letter from End of the World. It was maddening, and Juri Arisugawa didn't like it.
 
She would call a council meeting, even if the younger Kiryuu was running it, because this couldn't be allowed.
 
An hour and half later, two more silhouettes joined hers around the table of the balcony. Nanami was sitting in her chair looking positively annoyed. Miki was curious as he sat across from her, stop watch in hand and three glasses of fruit juice before him. Juri reclined against a column silently.
 
“So what was so important that you had to drag us out of class? Not that I mind that very much, but having to come all the way out here is bothersome.” Nanami sniffed indignantly. The blue haired council man chimed in, “I must admit I'm rather curious myself. What is the reason for this meeting, Juri-sempai?”
 
Juri hesitated, gathering herself, and keeping her face perfectly blank and neutral as she gave the report of her findings concerning the recent duels. Her voice however faltered as she gave an edited recount of her meeting with Shiori and the taking of the sword. When she had finished, there was silence. Miki clicked his stopwatch, recorded something down, and looked up at her in concern. But before he could speak, Nanami cut him off, “That's absolutely ridiculous! Are you sure you didn't dream all that up?” Nanami gave a huff. Juri's eyes narrowed dangerously. “No…I did not dream it up.” The arrogance of that blonde haired twit was staggering. And in the current black mood the panther was feeling at the moment, the orange curled fencer had half a mind to deck her right there. But something stopped her, and she looked over to where a silent boy sat.
 
Miki looked pale, and his eyes were downcast, even as he spoke softly. “I…I believe you Juri.” He looked shaken, and Juri couldn't figure out why. Surely her account hadn't caused this…it looked….personal? Miki squeezed his eyes shut tightly, as if holding back the tears. Juri uncrossed her arms and took a seat beside him. “Miki…what is…?”
 
He took a deep breath, “I experienced the same event…the pain…the sword coming out of my chest…and then I collapsed at the piano…” Juri's normal expression of calm cracked as her eyes widened, “What did you just say? Why did you not inform us earlier?” Even Nanami looked surprised. This was quite unexpected.
 
“I couldn't…I thought that maybe I had dreamed it all…that it was a figment of my imagination. But if it happened to you, then maybe it was real after all.” He looked sullen. Juri, her mind back to the situation at hand, and her composure regained, asked firmly, “And who was it that removed your…sword…?”
 
The pianist sighed, “My sister…Kozue.”
 
***Some time afterwards***
 
Juri remained behind to ponder the meeting as the other two left by way of the elevator. They hadn't really been able to decide what course of action to be taken. So far, only Juri and Miki had experienced any sort of attack…but the chairman's fiancee wasn't involved with anyone from the student council, as far as she knew. Without more evidence, it couldn't be decided on what these pattern of attacks centered on.
 
Her earlier train of thought circled back to her. Was it based on…weakness? Was it inner weakness that made her a target? Miki was always at odds with his sister, although he never spoke of it. It was plain to see, and it rubbed Juri the wrong way every time she saw the impudent girl give that cocky arrogant smirk in his direction. But they were still brother and sister, and that was a tight bond. But what of Shiori then? On that notion, she of course had a deep simmering weakness for the younger girl, had always had it since they were young. And although they were not related, she had grown up with Shiori since they were children. Could that be a link? But then Kanae Ohtori threw that formula away. She simply knew nothing of the chairman and his soon to be bride.
 
But if it was a weakness, something Juri couldn't stand to tolerate, then…would she be attacked again? Would she start becoming weaker…her sword pulled out by anyone who wanted it? Would she become an expressionless doll like Anthy Himemiya? The notion was unbearable, and she placed a hand over her heart, wincing at the memory of that steel blade bursting out. It had hurt so much…had hurt so deeply. It was like being raped…and that Juri Arisugawa, captain of the fencing team and Student Council Treasurer, could be brought so low…it killed something inside of her. She wasn't so arrogant to think so was invincible, untouchable. But she had worked tirelessly through the years to gain strength and to gain status, so that she might be able to at least have some sense of invulnerability…something to fall back on. She hadn't expected the blow to come from one who looked so fragile, and who held her heart in her hand.
 
Her eyes closed against the fading noonday sun in memory. She could still feel that delicate manicured hand on her chest, the warm breath from her lips, even as they twisted the knife in her soul a little deeper. Her lower back still ached dully from that odd angle she had been snapped back into.
 
It was unbearable. Juri's eyes shot open, and she stalked out of the room determinedly. She would not be brought to her knees again…she would not tolerate such weakness again. Shiori Takatsuki may have forgotten what had occurred, or perhaps simply lies that she had, but this councilman would not. As she rode the elevator down, feeling that odd loss of gravity as it descended, her very eyes smoldered with her inner anger.
 
The panther would not be caught unawares again.