Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction ❯ Elle M'A Donné de Faux Miracles ❯ Painful Decisions ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I do not own Revolutionary Girl Utena, or any of the characters that are involved in it. Shoujo Kakumei Utena - la fillette revolutionnaire -" is a copyrighted work. (C) Be-PaPas, Chiho Saito / Shogakukan, Shokaku Iinkai, TV Tokyo. All references and poetry that I did not create belong to their respective owners. All original characters, poetry, and song lyrics that belong to me should not be used without express permission and notification. Thank you.
 
Author Note:A long overdue update for this story. Sorry for the delay, things have been pretty crazy. But hey! Better late than never, right? XD I intend to start getting chapter updates for all the ones I have unfinished…I'd like to complete at least onestory. Thank you for all your continued support and reviews, I'll try to bear up and get moving! :D
 
 
 
 
“…They'd judge us--how?
For you served Heaven, you know
Or sought to;
I could not,

Because you saturated sight,
And I had no more eyes
For sordid excellence
As Paradise.

And were you lost, I would be,
Though my name
Rang loudest
On the heavenly fame.

And were you saved,
And I condemned to be
Where you were not,
That self were hell to me.

So we must keep apart,
You there, I here,
With just the door ajar
That oceans are,
And prayer,
And that pale sustenance,
Despair!”
 
~ From Emily Dickenson's I Cannot Live With You
 
 
Chapter Four: Painful Decisions
 
 
She'd practiced her look in front of the mirror all morning after her shower, so that she was certain she'd give nothing of her inner turmoil away. Her smooth, polite, façade was safely intact, as Juri Arisugawa began to pace along the lines of waiting fencers. Today was the day they were to hold try-outs for new potentials. A way to get new blood into the team, and also have a sort of scale to measure how well their veterans were improving. A mentoring system generally occurred, the new students pairing up with those who had been practicing longer. The group as a whole improved their sword skills, and developed strong bonds of camaraderie. It was a good system, and one that had worked towards Ohtori's advantage in the tournament bouts they had entered over the years.
 
So why did she feel like calling the whole entire thing off? Scratch that question. She knew the answer. And it's name was `Shiori'. And speak of the devil… The younger girl's maroon hair was unmistakeably in the small crowd. The fencing captain fought the urge to sigh deeply.
 
“Juri-senpai, everyone on the try-outs list as arrived. Shall I take them through some basic drills?” Miki smiled warmly from behind his clip board. Juri gave him a small smile, grateful for his presence and answered aloud. “Yes. Let's begin.”
 
Blowing her whistle, she had the rows of fencers lined up correctly and began taking them through a series of drills. Having Miki and the veterans demonstrate each new move before the potentials tried it out for themselves. Again and again, her sharp whistle cut through the air, picking up a timing as she wandered in an out of the rows. Fixing an arm here, adjusting a hip there, her piercing aquamarine eyes constantly roaming. Coming up behind one young man who was overextended, she reached around his body to try and realign him, only to have him nearly leap from his skin. Blushing furiously, he apologized, but try as he might, he couldn't seem to concentrate on what the fencing captain was trying to show him. He seemed far more interested in feeling her hands on his body. Annoyed at this lack of discipline, The orange curled fencer decided it was time to up the test level.
 
“Alright. All of you line up, you shall have a practice bout against Miki and myself. From there we'll determine your level of skill based on a series of criteria.” More than a few students seemed to blanche, while their more experienced counterparts looked on eagerly. Not bothering to look over her shoulder, Juri motioned for Miki to come with her towards the practice area and don his mask. Giving him a small smirk, her mood lightening up a touch, she murmured. “Let's…shake them up a bit. Test their mettle.”
 
Miki cocked his head to the side cutely, then gave a warm smile of understanding and acceptance. “Of course! I shall do my best.” He took a position parallel to her, and they both raised their swords in salute. Pulling on their masks with a practiced ease, Juri's voice rang out clearly across the polished wooden floor.
 
“First in line, up!”
 
 
 
The practice continued, Juri going against each fencer in her line for a one-on-one bout. To the students, it was like watching a goddess on the battlefield. She never seemed to tire, her movements were always fluid and exact. Miki seemed her perfect compliment, crisp and technical in all he did. Between the two of them, the large gathering was quickly cycled. Students with helmets torn off and sweat beading their faces collapsed tiredly on the sidelines, as they watched each of their teammates fall to the duo's merciless swordsmanship. Eventually only a few stragglers remained, and Juri finally found herself against Shiori. If asked, she probably wouldn't have been able to explain how exactly she knew. The girl's face was fully concealed behind her protective mask. But she knew, and when she signaled the with a sharp word for the bout to begin, she felt that petite girl lunge at her without hesitation.
 
It surprised her. She had to admit that. Seeing the soft girl she once knew so well, come at her so fiercely threw her off mentally. Juri dodged neatly, and let her opponent throw out her best strikes. Their shoes squeaked loudly, mingling with Miki and his partner a short distance away. But in the silent world she went to when she concentrated, Juri heard none of it. She didn't hear her thundering heart, the cries from the students and their cheers. It was all white noise.
 
Forgettable, meaningless.
 
A lunge, a clumsy slash and suddenly she was there. Every movement the other girl planned was clear as day to her, she had become hypersensitive to every slight twitch of their two bodies. As she counterattacked, Juri felt a gleam of sweat roll down her neck and between the curve of her breasts. Her lips were salty behind her face mask, and her body felt too warm behind the cotton padding that fit her like a second skin.This was her time, her moment. When she held a sword in her hand, nothing mattered anymore. Not even who she was fighting. Ah…but then this wasn't truly a fight, was it? This was a test for a beginner…and with that in mind she pulled back her enjoyment and her excitement, shoving it into a tight little box inside herself. Concentrate…be cool…a teacher… With a clearer mind, she began to asses Takatsuki as they danced back and forth.
 
The other girl wasn't bad, her stance and the way she came across with her angles and sword thrusts showed Shiori had undergone some sort of formal training. For a brief time of course. But there were certainly faults to be found… And with that decided, the fencing captain immediately pulled the plug and ended the game.
 
Juri twisted and gave a vicious lunge to run up parallel along the edge of a sloppy one made by the younger girl, catching her square in the heart. The two froze, Juri still bent in that forward position, Shiori pinned like a butterfly under glass. And then it was over. Shiori stood. Gave the salute and bow of thanks, and took her place along the wall. Juri signaled for the next person in line. And neither girl removed their masks until practice had ended.
 
 
It was an hour later, the tryouts were over, the students had all either gone home or had filtered off to the cafeteria to eat their dinner. Juri was back behind her desk, with Miki perched in a chair next to her. “Yes, he did very well I thought for someone who is just starting…his footwork was a little shaky, but surely we can fix that. Right, Juri-senpai?”
 
Juri gave an absent nod, and a half-hearted smile as she made another notation to the clipboard. As she marked off another name, Miki hesitantly spoke. The uncertainty in his voice immediately catching her attention. “Ah…Juri-senpai…” She looked up with a patient gaze. “Yes, Miki? Is something the matter?” He looked at her with a cocked gaze, blue eyes searching her face for something. “Are you…feeling better?”
 
Juri sighed as she looked down at the mess of papers. His question was layered with a deeper meaning, and part of her just wanted to walk out of the room. Why did she need to explain herself? Why did she need anyone? But this was Miki… and he was one of the few people in this school whom she actually could depend on and trust to a degree. She found she…didn't want to alienate one of her few…friends. Pinching the bridge of her nose she answered carefully.
 
“I'm feeling somewhat better, healthwise. But, recent events still have me…uptight.”
 
The blue haired council member cracked a gentle smile at that, before returning quietly, “You? Uptight? Surely not…”
 
She looked up at him suspiciously, and was rewarded with a twinkle of amusement in his eyes. Snorting unladylike, she stacked the papers neatly. Unable to deny that she had the necessary talent to gain entry, Juri had had to allow Takatsuki, Shiori's file to be signed off for admittance. It was going to be a long year, she mused. But all there was left to do was grin and bear it. Her professionalism when dealing with her fencing club members wouldn't be…compromised.
 
Miki checked his stopwatch.
 
“We should be leaving then, if we want to eat dinner in a timely manner.” Smiling as he got down from the chair, he waited for the orange curled woman at the doorway, and the two strode out.
 
“Are we having another go at the library's archives tonight? Perhaps our research will be able to turn something up this time.” Juri's brow furrowed slightly, “Of course. I intend to make good use of our free time, since we can no longer depend on Kiryuu or his sister.” Her reply was smooth as glass, concealing the fierce fire burning in her heart. They would turn over every rock and dusty crevice in this maze of a school if that's what it took. Duels be damned. Things had gotten far too personal for her liking, and she would get to the bottom of it. Her patience could be endless…
 
Looking up she paused, seeing someone waiting for them. Shiori was sitting on a bench alone, seemingly waiting for them. Had she been waiting to get Juri alone? Miki saw her hesitate, and swiveled his head to alight on the maroon haired girl. Opening his mouth to question, Juri took a step forward to go to her, but stopped immediately as a young man came jogging over to the bench. She watched a silent exchange, a round of smiles, and the two go off together, arm-in-arm. Some things never change… Juri waited till they were gone before leading Miki to the cafeteria once more. The Kaoru twin kept wisely silent.
 
 
After an uneventful meal, and hours spent thumbing through boring reports in the library's records room, even Juri had to admit they were getting nowhere. Deciding it best that her younger companion get a decent night's sleep, she bid the tired Secretary goodnight, smiling with genuine affection as he cheerfully promised to wrack his brain for more clues. She waited, seeing him off to the apartments he shared with his twin sister, before trekking across campus herself. A hot pot of tea, the next chapter of the novel she had been reading, and the warmth of her favorite housecoat were all that remained on her mind. It had been a long day. Time to unwind before bed.
 
“Ah! L-let go of me, I-I told you no!”
 
Or so she had thought…Eyes narrowing as she hunted for the source of the cries, Juri began lopping on long legs in the direction of the fountains. Someone past curfew, and it sounded like a girl. Already she was in full council mode, her face a stern line as she breeze down the walkway, and rounded the tall curtains of water. The slight hiss and the resulting mist obscured her view. But it was definitely two students on the other side. A flash of memory from just hours earlier, and Juri already knew who it was. Sure enough, as she came through the side, there was Shiori, in the grasp of the boy she had seen earlier.
 
Their little drama caught, Shiori looked up in shock to see Juri striding over with her hackles raised. The boy let go of the other girl's wrist and neck to stammer in surprise.
“O-oh, I was just—“ Juri didn't even wait to hear the rest. Without so much as
slowing her gait, she reared back and decked him square in the jaw. With a thud he hit the ground, crying out in pain. Shiori, with both hands over her mouth in fear, slumped to the ground next to him shaking. Wide eyed, she watched him stand as if to hit her back, but then he simply cowered. The ice in the panther's eyes could have frozen hell over.

”I want…to see you promptly tomorrow morning, reporting for detention.” Each word was bitten out, with a low growl to them. He gave a solemn nod, and left without a word. She recognized him from one of her math classes. He would be there.
 
Turning to Shiori, she held out a hand. “Are you alright?”
 
“Y-yes but I—“
 
“Good. I expect you to report tomorrow morning as well. This school has a strict curfew, and I expect the rules to be follow by those that attend it.” Her authoritative tone was harsh and unforgiving as she narrowed her gaze down the girl who looked up at her in surprise. Shiori refused her hand and got up on her own, her eyes tearing up slightly.
 
“Juri, I just wanted—“
 
“I would highly suggest you return to your dorm room.”
 
“But I really only—“
 
“I'm not in the mood to hear excuses. The rules cannot be bent for anyone. Goodnight Takatsuki-san.” She coldly turned and left, not daring to look over her shoulder. Inwardly she felt something inside her break, but she shrugged the feeling off. Things could never be between them. And they couldn't go back to those happier days. It was better this way. It saved her from getting hurt again.
 
Juri's wintry mood lasted all the way to her dorm room, and even through her nightly shower. She decided to forgo the tea and book and just head on into bed. Suddenly she just didn't feel like it anymore.
 
To Be Continued.