Vampire Knight Fan Fiction ❯ Painted Veil ❯ Roads ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

The soles of my feet sting from walking. Because this road leads me to you, I keep going.
• * •
The maids washed and applied scents in her hair. Her lips were painted bright red like the underlining of her silk robes. Her hair was skewed beautifully, leaving her narrow neck visible. Yuuki's crimson eyes floated over her room longingly. Her maids demurely helped buckle her shoes and arrange her skirt.
When she rose from the chair, a large hat cradled her dark hair and pale face. Her glowing eyes blinked remotely at her reflection, neither happy nor sad, simply indifference. She walked to the crowded courtyard with her maids. A litter was waiting for her along the gray path, curtains were drawn and comfortable cushions peeked from inside.
Yuuki carefully lifted her skirt, her soft, mellow and even steps musically moved over the stoned path. Guards and maids descended to their knees as she passed.
Juuri appeared next to the litter, seconds before Yuuki entered. Her mother's doleful eyes said everything. It spoke of love, sadness, strength and things Yuuki wished to respond. She only remembered the feel of her mother's small shoulders beneath her hands, the lavender scent in her hair, and her mauve silk sleeves that slipped out of her fingers as easily as they came.
Yuuki pried her grip from her mother's sleeve halfheartedly. No smile, no look of regret only tranquility reflected in her exterior. The maids began weeping and sniffing from the ground, most sobbed in their arms, unable to watch her leave.
She was guided inside the litter. Her skirt displayed neatly around her legs. Her hat tilted to the side, eyes cast away and profile in view. Juuri sighed longingly at her daughter before closing the curtain.
“I love you.” She murmured from the outside.
Sitting solitary within, a disquietude pause later her hands clenched her skirt. The faint drops of tears glistened the whiteness of her knuckles.
Haruka watched the guards transport the litter from the courtyard into the streets.
The impatient city lined out in the streets, away from their homes and businesses, waving goodbye to their princess while tossing sweets and blessings for her journey and marriage.
It was agonizing for Yuuki. Princesses were born with borders. As much as she wasn't allowed to venture into the unknown, strangers were prohibited to enter her world. Yet the task of leaving her homeland for a marriage contract blinded Yuuki with rage. Her insides were bleak and dying. Each moment her litter crept toward the foreigner's campsite, and she wanted to die.
All her life she believed to spend her beginnings and endings in her beloved country. Who would've known fate would force her to go to another man's land?
It was for the people, and it was for peace. She was virtuous like her father, but the reality of being given away was staggering. One minute she argued with her father, the next, her maids were packing her belongings. In the blink of an eye, she was already inside the litter being carried away into the abyss.
Her scented fingers slipped an inch of the curtain, light filtered inside, glowing against her pale skin and copiously red robes. Gloomy eyes peeked into the remaining faces of her people waving her farewell.
She'd miss those faces. The merchant and bakers in the crowded market in the blistering summer with the maids, and the soil…She'd miss the golden soil, glittery in the sun. Unable to bear anymore, Yuuki yanked back and sobbed aloud.
She wished to escape, that it was an illusion, for a way to go home.
By the time Yuuki cleaned her tears, the sound of horns and troops burst into the seams of time. Her heart galloped at the tune. Then her legs numbed. She wrestled with her self for control, slumping ungracefully into doubts of hatred for them.
They were here to receive her. Any musings of escape was futile now.
The litter was slowly placed on the ground. Her patient guards watched the foreigners seep through the fields of grass, crowd in front of her litter. She heard them address her softly.
“Hime-sama, you've conceded with the ties of our two nations. We are here to take you to your new home. Do not feel burdened. You will be cherished like you always have been.”
Yuuki didn't care about being cherished or being burdened. More than anything she wanted it to stop. For her heart to stop pining over returning home, and it hadn't been a day.
“You will be escorted to your site. Our servants are at your disposal. Should you have a need for anything they are ready for your orders. The wedding will commence this afternoon.”
Her knuckles protruded as she clenched her skirt harder than before. Nerves crackled within her body that she imagined a searing hot volcano shower over the foreigners. She wanted them to burn to death, even though vampires weren't fragile like humans, seeing them hurt would pacify a little of her tweaking heart. 
Closing her eyes, she attempted to breathe calmly, only to jerk alertly when the curtains sprang open and the maids who had followed her in the second litter peered worriedly.
“Are you alright, Hime-sama?” Her powdered face shimmered in the sunlight.
She was too furious to speak and looked away.
The maids dropped the curtain and returned to the guards.
• * •
The clocked ticked, maids swarmed, fire lamps trembled feverishly from rapid movements in the tent. Yuuki lost balance and collapsed on the chair, unable to stand. Yet the insistent maids smoothed and glistened her hair darker than the night. They massaged her ankles, applied attractive scents on her skin, carefully draped and buttoned each strap of her silk garment with dedication.
She could see her beauty enrapture the women almost immediately, and little did Yuuki do to meet their ravenous stares. She went on gaping at her empty hands, lost and longed for home. To be in her room instead of the tent, to listen to her mother read and have political discussions with her father.
Did it mean she couldn't do them anymore? She knew the answer painfully well. 
It was cruel having to do it like this. These maids were not hers. They didn't know her name properly, didn't know she hated turtle pins in her hair, or that her socks were uncomfortably tight. All of them furtively searched Yuuki for flaws, pulling away in dismay that there were none.
Marriage was a tribute to affectionate couples like her parents, not between strangers. Remorse engulfed the pureblood princess. 
The maids insisted she stand so they could append final touches on her gown. Her crimson lips parted in the mirror as she looked at her self for the first time.
An entrancing goddess stared back. How could her body deceive her openly while her heart was in pieces?
“Give me a veil.” Her coral voice sent everyone transfixed by its angelic delicacy, she spoke as beautifully as she looked. Yuuki held out her hand for the maid who had retrieved a transparent red veil. She carefully draped it over her head, concealing her face.
“But Hime-sama, our Ouji-sama would like to see you with his own eyes.” A maid reminded.
“I will give him nothing.” Yuuki answered resolutely, her voice lucid and pure. “Not one look, not one touch, not time—nothing.”
The scandalized maids gaped back and forth between themselves at the remark.
She was not demure, because she had no reason to be. The veil made the world visible to her eye yet kept her face hidden like she preferred. Her silk robes glistened after her heels with each graceful step. Yuuki stepped out of the tent with guidance of the maids and was escorted toward the larger, decorated house in the center of multiple small tents.
Her eyes hardly perceived what she saw. It appeared large enough to fit the entire crew, instead of one man. Did the foreign pureblood prince really keep it for himself?
“This is as far as we can go, Hime-sama.” The maids fell back at the entrance of the large tent. “We wish you the best of luck. Tonight you will be accompanied by your husband-to-be, our Ouji-sama.”
Curtains reeled back as soon as she entered. There were three witnesses circulating a table in front of a large fire. The maids announced her presence and drew back in time for Yuuki to present herself. For several moments, the enchanted witnesses forgot to breathe or move.
She was a swan in a field of hawks. Silver and red danced around Yuuki as she glided toward the table. Even though her face wasn't visible, the mystery of her beauty made them dizzy. At the table, her mat was already drawn and awaited her socked feet. Eyes floated hungrily as she lifted her skirt over her ankles, gracefully bent her knees and sat down without help. When she finally settled, her jeweled digits touched the edge of the table and her veil slid over red colored lips.
“I have come as you wished.” There was no guilt or hint of remorse, only an abundance of cool vigor in her tone.
The elders' stares glazed even more.
“Thank you for coming.” One of the elder's uttered. Clearing his throat, he nodded to the guards who withdrew behind a curtain and returned momentarily.
The second curtain swept back and the silhouette that had been waiting for the longest time entered. The elders soared to their feet and bowed. Yuuki remained in her place, not shifting an inch.
Nonetheless, as curious as her girlish mind could go, she was drenched with questions from head to toe.
What did he look like? This foreign pureblood prince.
Did he threaten her father into giving her away in marriage?
What kind of person is he? Obnoxious and arrogant like army generals? Scrawny and disobedient like scribes? Callous and hateful like a tiger?
In spite of the nonsense questions, she was filled with dread in his presence. Dread for a stranger, dread that shouldn't exist.
There was a brief pause and the elders retook their positions around Yuuki. Across the table she sensed clothes rustle from movement, probably as he made himself comfortable on his mat. She imagined they sat on opposite corners of the table, facing one another directly while the elders flanked either sides, recording the ceremony.
Then she heard it. Like flashing wind, blind but sensual, his voice called out to Yuuki. Her body stilled under the alluring tone fishing away her guard and mistrust, and locked a feeling of delight in her soul. Her knuckles had clenched on her skirt. The jeweled rings blinked and glinted across her cheek and throat from the light, casting rays of colors through the veil.
“It is an absolute honor to meet you, Hime-san. I am the prince of the Northern Lands, my name is Kuran Kaname.”
His sensual voice worked away her hesitation, ate her ill will and licked her soul wound-free. She no longer remembered why she was angry in the first place. Yuuki stared emptily at her open palms. They had already loosened their grip. She was about to lift her head to follow the beckoning voice, but fought with herself against it.
Yuuki glared at the table, her temper enflaming by the second. This was not how it was supposed to be. She wasn't supposed to feel things from the sound of someone's voice. It was entirely inhuman and instinctive. As if her body knew the language and yet her stubborn mind couldn't comprehend it.
“We will be starting a new journey together. Before we do, I'd like to hear your thoughts about the marriage contract.” Kaname offered.
She felt as if a burning blade proliferated her body. His analgesic voice flicked away her grumbles, brought silence into her system. She was able to hear her heart gush in her ears, and her blood mumble how tasty he must be.
“Hime-san?” Kaname inquisitively called across the table, “Please, don't be afraid to speak your mind.”
He was not obnoxious and arrogant like army generals, Yuuki decided. He was actually giving her a chance to talk before papers were signed.
“My father's virtue is important, and I must maintain it as long as I live.”
His eyes widened ever so slightly at the rich and divine voice coming from under the veil. Slowly his eyes closed shut to marvel it respectfully. They had said she had a hypnotizing beauty. Her soul was another heaven on earth.
“He made the decision for me, but…” Yuuki lingered over her words.
Kaname felt hindered by the pause and opened his eyes, wanting more of her voice.
“But I have to—” She felt terrified by her forthcoming words.
There was no reason to hesitate. Yet her father wanted to make the treaty permanent. Was this the turmoil he felt when he decided to let the foreigners marry her? The burden of peace and protection of innocent lives were at stake.
What could she do? Run away? Ask him to free her?
“I…” Yuuki quickly composed herself, continuing a breath later.
His eyes fell over the delineation of the veil where her hidden face resided. “I welcome your decision, whatever it may be, Hime-san.” Kaname added gently.
She shivered at the resounding placidity of his voice, as if it had the power to calm the storm brewing in, both, her heart and mind. He was too supreme. His comforting voice was teasing.
“Have to prepare myself.” Yuuki deliberated, “For this marriage.”
Kaname felt his shoulders incline and gradually he sat up. His eyes beamed and a shy smile coated his mouth. “That will not be a problem. Does it mean you accept the offer?”
Offer? Yuuki blinked up at Kaname through her veil.
Her world burned.
First somewhere in her heart and slowly to her fingertips, toward the edges of her mouth and tongue, and ripple over her skin. 
Every part of her burned.
She felt herself wheeze and tremble before the man. Through the veil, she saw his deep red eyes blaze with solemnity she hadn't known. The sincerity in his eyes was impeccable and secretly thrilling. Long dark locks caressed his cheeks and shyly dangled on the base of his neck. His brows were dark, two serene and neat line above pleading eyes.
Absently Yuuki rubbed her chest and forced herself to breathe again.
“Were you the one to propose marriage between us?” She asked.
Kaname smiled to himself. His long lashes creeping over his eye as they shut in a contemplative blink. “Yes.”
So her father hadn't sold her.
 • * •