Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ A Country's Hope ❯ The Final Battle ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Heavy footfalls sounded for miles as a straight line of guymelefs was formed in front of the single forest that divided the two feuding countries. Directly in the center of the echelon, stood the magnificent, white Ispano 'melef--known due to legend as Escaflowne. The ruby containment of the drag-energist gleamed in the fading light of the day. It's royal blue cloak fluttered with a soft breeze, and then died down around the legs of the colossal armor. It truly stood out majestically--much like it's pilot--among the rest of the soldiers.

"Everyone...hold position!" Goau called out to his army, and then silently watched through the slotted vent of the Escaflowne.

After the command was given, there were a few grumbles and sighs as well as some shifting of the metallic 'melefs. Some of the men were quite relieved that the walking was put on hold, however...the others just wanted to get the battling over and done with. Once they killed the Saercarian...all of this fighting would finally be over, and there would be no more threat to the world of Gaea-but more immediately-Fanelia. It was only a matter of getting to the enemy's castle, to do just that.

Goau narrowed his eyes on the horizon, spotting movement in the distance. An eerie golden glow seemed to follow the approaching objects. The enormous, ivory leg slid forward, and the hand went for its monumental weapon. The 'melefs behind the great Escaflowne followed the same actions, and just looked on wordlessly as the Omoran army drew near. Their numbers appeared great; there were roughly twenty-thousand more samurai than that of Fanelia. Although, Fanelia had the advantage of having a few more guymelef's than their adversary. The Fanelian king knew it would be a difficult battle...but he would try with all his might to win-for Gaea..for his country... and for Varie.

The Omorans came to a halt before the Fanelians, and Garrus's guymelef stepped ahead of the group, "Goau of Fanelia! Prepare to meet your demise!" The Omoran king turned towards his men, and then motioned his sword forward. "Attack!"

With those words, the Omoran legion charged for their opponent. Several metallic clashings were heard as swords were raised to block the oncoming assaults. Among the Fanelian side, was Balgus...who managed to take on whole guymelefs without being in one himself. The immense fighter dodged a few attacks, until a skillful incision was made along his left eye. He growled in pain, and dropped his guard some-but he continued to fight as did the rest of the injured. It wasn't long before the ground became stained with drops of sweat and blood...and quite a few of the original soldiers had fallen, but many still remained and fought with all their might. The hefty metal giants contended each other...several swings, strikes, and blows were delivered until the weaker of the fighters fell. Deafening explosions, screams, and yells polluted the area until absolute chaos ensued. Some smoke clouded a few of the fighters' vision, and forced them to meet their fate-slain by their foe. It was only a time for actions, for no thoughts could possibly cross the young boys' minds. They reverted to their inner most instincts for survival-willing to die for their country and their kings.

And as for those kings, it didn't seem like Garrus's ordinary guymelef could stand up to the Escaflowne. Rapid slashes clouted the bronze colored 'melef, and Garrus grimaced somewhat, staggering back. His sword was lifted quickly, and it retaliated against the Ispano's pilot. The tip of the metal sliced across the stomach area of the armor, and within the cockpit-Goau felt the warm, stinging sensation across his abdomen. The unilluminated spheres flickered downward to catch a peek of the blood that dribbled down his shirt. The eyes narrowed, and he gritted his teeth...letting a snarl escape him as he raced forward to jab that sword into Garrus's arm. This action forced the Omoran king to holler in agony. Escaflowne leapt up, and gave a diagonal gash across the giant's chest. Sparks followed the piercing hit, and then the 'melef dropped back, hitting the ground with a large crash.

"I..." Garrus winced. "Refuse...to give up..."

King Omoi struggled to get up, but saw the tip of the blade pointed down at him-ready to go in for the kill. Goau panted heavily; fatigue had settled in, yet he managed to maintain a steady grip upon the hilt of the large sword. Garrus furrowed those brows, and some red fluid trickled down the corner of his mouth.

"I won't...let... you get Celia..." The Omoran choked for a breath, and then continued weakly. "Kill me if you will...but you will never..."

"NO!"

The desperate cry was enough to cause every subsisting soldier to halt in their actions, and glance in the voice's direction. They stared on as the woman dashed forward, not even bothering to run with the normal grace she would hold. She didn't stop until she landed beside Garrus's fallen 'melef, and sank to her knees.

"It's her! It's the Saercarian, m'lord!" Balgus twisted in their direction, the fresh blood streamed down the left side of his visage, staining it with the vermilion trail.

Celia climbed onto her king's guymelef, and wrapped those fingers around the cockpit's hatch, trying with all her might to pull it up. After a couple of failed attempts, she closed her eyes, and tilted her head forward. One arm raised skyward, and a brilliant flicker of light collected in her palm. She furrowed those brows, and then sent the burst of energy into the metallic door. It managed to destroy it, and allowed her access to her king.

"Garrus..." Those eyes flooded with tears, and she reached forward, attempting to pull him out of the wrecked cock pit. She only managed to do so partially, and so she supported his upper half, cradling it as she lowered her head. Sobs escaped uncontrollably, and she felt her body tremble. "No...n-no...you can't... you can't die..."

"King Goau... " Balgus slowly made his way to the Escaflowne, and then leaned in close. "It's up to you, my lord."

The Fanelian king nodded, and hoisted up the weapon. The tip was pointed in the pair's direction, and his eyes narrowed for a moment. He began to move it forward, only to stop abruptly. It wasn't Celia in his view, but Varie. Her long, fluent hair oscillated in the wind as she embraced the enervated body. Goau blinked a couple of times, and then shook his head, almost as if trying to shake away the sight before him. Those eyes focused on the scene again, in which he saw the same thing. Only...this time he could tell that the one Varie held onto was not Garrus...but Goau himself. An aural gasp was drawn in as he staggered back, shaking his head with incredulity.

"My...lord...?" Balgus catechized the actions of his king.

The Fanelian pulled his gaze away from them finally, and glanced over at Balgus. He shook his head noiselessly, those darkened spheres were wide with fright. The king didn't wish to look upon the scene again, but it seemed he was entranced by it. Though, once he did look back toward the two...it was once again Celia and Garrus. The Saecarian's milky digits brushed over the Omoran's cheek, and she closed her eyes, forcing a few tears to squeeze their way out.

"C-Celia... I... told you... to hide... " Garrus strained the words out, as he raised his gaze to the woman holding onto him.

The lids lifted slowly, revealing the swirling pools of obsidian, "Garrus...I knew that you would get hurt today. I couldn't have beared it if they had killed you..." She trailed off, and glanced toward the grandiose Escaflowne that seemed to be watching over them. Her attention drifted back to Garrus, and she planted a lenient kiss on his forehead before she slowly let him out of her arms. She rose to her feet, and then took a step forward. Her voice rose up so that everyone else could hear. "And that is why...I give myself...over to the Fanelian army."

"No, Celia!"

"It...is the only way to stop this senseless fighting..." Her arms fell lithely to her sides as she tipped her chin in the giant white armor's direction. "So...do what you came here to do, king of Fanelia. Kill me if you honestly believe it will solve your problems."

"Celia...don't!!"

The Fanelian king remained motionless for the time being, and just lowered his gaze to the woman in front of him. His lids drooped over the murky pools, and then opened again to reflect his despair. Varie... she seemed so much like Varie. Perhaps, she too was misunderstood. What if the Saercarians were not really the 'demons' everyone claimed them to be? He wasn't so certain that he could be responsible for the annihilation of an innocent creature. Goau sent a quick look Balgus's way, in hopes that the man would be able to aid him in his decision, but it was no use. The Ispano 'melef's arm lowered and with it went the sword.

"...I can't..." He mumbled defeatedly.

"Can't?!" The king's comment stirred up several maunders of disbelief.

"My lord...you must! This war needs to be ended...this was what we fought for all this time!" Balgus moved in closer to the guymelef, and placed a massive hand on the forearm of the king's 'armored giant' just to emphasize his point, or perhaps to comfort Goau in his time of need.

"I...just...can't, Balgus. What if we were wrong about her? What if...she means no harm to us...? I cannot allow myself to senselessly kill this woman!"

Balgus sighed, and shook his head from side to side, "King Goau...now is not the time to be.."

"Silence!"

"Balgus is right, Lord..." A voice chimed in.

"Yeah...we've been fighting this much...we have to finish it!" Sounded another soldier.

Celia offered a saddened glance to Garrus, and a few tears slipped down those cheeks. She did not want to do this, but it was the only way to end the bloodshed due to her. The Omoran struggled to hang on, and despite the fatigue due to loss of blood, he did push himself up slightly. Once he got to a kneeling position, he held out a hand for his queen.

"Celia...don't... run away and hide. I don't care what happens to me...just so long as you are safe. Celia...I love you..." His words trailed off as an afflictive wince took those features.

"Garrus...please. Lay still...it will only hurt you m--"

"Celia?! ....CELIA!"

All the Omoran saw was the Saecarian's visage change from the peaceful look into one of excruciating pain. Her head drooped, and those arms fell lithely at her sides. His eyes widened with fright, and the gaze traveled behind his wife-to the large Escaflowne's sword, that had embedded itself into her spine. Goau kept his eyes closed as he pulled back the weapon which was then dropped to his side. Garrus could only stare on in horror as Celia fell limp to the ground before him. Goau offered a somber look in the opposing king's direction, before he nodded to his men, and they all wordlessly exited the battle ground.

Garrus's heart pounded furiously against his chest, and he rushed his arms around Celia's fallen form, shaking it slightly as if he were trying to forcefully bring the life back into it, "Celia! ...wake up!" His eyes were burning, and soon a flow of liquid saline streaked down his cheeks. They mingled with blood, and seeped into fresh cuts, but it didn't matter. Garrus was completely numb to any physical pain he could have possibly felt. His head hung mournfully, and his fingers twitched uncontrollably around the body of his beloved. It felt so lifeless to him, and the warmth was beginning to fade from her as well. An arm brought her closer, trying in vain to shield out the frigid tangibility from the cadaver. His lids veiled those dim spheres, trying to trap the tears behind it's covering. Though, his attempts at everything were nothing but failures, and he knew he had but one choice.

"...C-Celia..." Garrus stammered, and tried to steady his voice as his eyes landed on the pale visage. His hand brushed over a chillsome cheek, and he started his words again. "I love you, Celia. I will never ever...find love like yours. And I will never look for it. You stole my heart...m-my...love. I-it...s-shall...forever... r-remain yours."

The Omoran king would have wept, but he knew Celia would have wanted him to be strong through this. He closed his eyes, and leaned in for one...final kiss...upon those bluish tinted lips. His mouth covered her own for the concluding lingering moments; if he had his way, he would have never said good-bye. He would have stayed there with her...to die by her side. But, Celia didn't want that. She never wanted him to abandon his country on her behalf.

Those tiers of Garrus's withdrew from Celia's, and he pulled her close to his body. He never realized how precious a heartbeat could be, until he no longer felt her own. If he could have poured his own life force into hers...he would have done so...just so she could be there with him.

Hesitantly, he let her out of his arms, and brushed lips past her forehead. It was time to go back, and time to lead his country...but without Celia...nothing mattered. He would forever remain an empty shell with no true purpose other than his inherited monarchical role.


Good bye my love... I will always look forward to seeing your beautiful face in the next life..