Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Back To Nowhere ❯ visions ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Back To nowhere
(a post Vision of Escaflowne fan fic)
authored by: bluegreen13

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
*disclaimer* all characters belong to the creators of v.o.e. If you don't recognize him/her, the character is obviously mine.
*a/n* send all comments to alex13@emptymail.com. everything is welcome. self insertions, anything. also plese review. even criticisms will do for me. i hope you like my story!
*previously* in chapter 3, memories past, hitomi comes back home from gaea only to find out that she is pregnant. van, on the other hand decided never to marry nor love again. . .
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"A STAR SHALL FALL FROM THE SKY. . .
. . .A KINGDOM IS AT RISK. . .
. . .A GIRL. . . THE MYSTIC MOON. . .
. . .FATES WILL BE DECIDED. . .
. . .AS THE WHEELS OF FORTUNE TURN. . .
. . .EVENTS WILL REPEAT. . .
. . .ESCAFLOWNE SHALL RISE AGAIN. . .
. . .AND SO SHALL THE DEAD. . ."

--->
chapter four: visions

"Father don't leave us," Izawa Megumi whispered.
She was at Izawa Hiroki's bedside, crying. Her mother was holding her hand.
"Don't cry Megumi," Hiroki whispered, slightly smiling at her.
That only caused her to break out into sobs. Izawa Hiroki was dying. They all knew that.
Hiroki looked at the two of them with loving eyes. It also meant, for Hitomi, that he needed to talk top her alone.
"Megumi," Hitomi whispered. "Why don't you get me a cup of coffee?"
"But I want to stay with father," Megumi softly protested.
"Go on Megumi," Hiroki said. "I'll be right here when you get back."
Megumi hesitantly walked out of the room.
"Hitomi," Hiroki looked at her lovingly. "I love you."
"I know that Hiroki," Hitomi said, tears in her eyes.
Almost sixteen years had passed since they had married. And since Megumi was born. Hiroki loved her as if she was his own. And Hitomi had learned to loved Hiroki very much. At times, she still wandered off in her thoughts, thinking about Van. She still really ached for him. Loved him very much. But it didn't help that he never came to her anymore. Not even a single feather in the past sixteen years.
"Hitomi," Hiroki said again.
"What is it?" Hitomi asked.
"When I'm gone. . ." Hiroki began.
Hitomi clutched his hands even tighter.
"When I'm gone, I want you to tell Megumi the truth," Hiroki said.
Hitomi looked at him.
"Promise me Hitomi," Hiroki smiled, despite the pain he was feeling. "We owe the truth."
Hitomi looked at her husband. The truth. He thought he knew the truth, but he didn't. She never had the chance to tell him about Gaea. Up until now, he still thought that Megumi was part French.
It never showed anyway. Megumi looked exactly like Hitomi when she was her age. Same bright green eyes and sandy blond hair, only longer. (It was always braided and reached almost down her waist.)
"I promise," Hitomi whispered.
---
Megumi was crying in Hitomi's arms. They were at Hiroki's burial and Megumi just could not contain her emotions. Megumi, who was usually a happy girl.
"Father!" she cried.
Both her mother and her best friend, **Sakura were comforting her.

**(note: Sakura is Yukari and Amano's 17 year old daughter; hey, they're all best friends. besides, I even thought of naming this story dèja vu)

"Why did he have to die?" she asked to no one in particular.
Hitomi just hugged her daughter tightly.
---
Hitomi looked at her daughter. They were quietly eating their dinner. It was already 3 months after the Hiroki's death but they still weren't accustomed to eating without him. They have already accepted the fact that he was gone, but everytime they ate, they both knew that he was on their mind. When he was there, he always made them laugh. There was always a conversation.
Hitomi hasn't yet told her daughter anything. She haven't fulfilled her promise yet to Hiroki. She made up her mind to tell her that evening.
So later on, after dinner, when Megumi was already in her room, Hitomi went there.
"Come in," Megumi said.
"So," Hitomi tried to start the conversation. "You're having your sixteenth birthday next week."
"Yeah," Megumi smiled.
"What do you want to do?"
"A simple celebration would be nice," Megumi said.
"Then you will have a simple birthday," Hitomi smiled.
They were quiet for a few minutes.
"Mother, what are you thinking about right now?" Megumi asked.
"Oh nothing," Hitomi smiled.
"You're thinking about my father aren't you?" Megumi asked. "My real father."
The last three words came out in a soft whisper. Hitomi was surprised. Not only because she hasn't told Megumi about Van yet, but also because she was thinking about Van.
"How. . .?" she questioned.
"I know that Hiroki wasn't my real father. I don't know how but I did," Megumi said. "Besides, I loved him like my real father."
Hitomi sighed. From her pocket, she got out something that was wrapped in soft cloth and opened it. It was a beautiful white feather. It was the last one she got. She had kept it for remembrance.
"This was your father's Megumi," she whispered.
"It's beautiful," Megumi said in awe. "Was he an angel?"
"For me he was," Hitomi sighed.
"Did you love him?"
"With all my heart," Hitomi said. "Your real father was my first love, you know that?"
"Tell me about him," Megumi said.
The truth. She promised Hiroki that she will tell Megumi the truth. And she decided to do so. To tell her the real truth.
---
Megumi looked at the feather that her mother had given her. Her father was from a place called Gaea. She wished to see him. She believed that he really loved her mother. Loved her very much.
Suddenly, she felt a weird feeling. Her stomach was tightening, knotting up. She knew this feeling, she had felt it before.
She was having a vision.
She saw fire. Then she saw feathers. Soft white feathers, like the one her mother gave her. And then there was a necklace, with a weird pendant. It was the same necklace she had seen her mother wearing in pictures when she was younger. There was a man. A man with wings. And a boy her age. There was the pendant again. It swung to the front. When she looked up, she saw earth. Her vision was eaten up by flames.
And then she was in her room again.
---
Hitomi gasped for air. The fire in her vision seemed and felt real. And who was the boy with Van? Could the boy be his son? Who was the mother? Her vision aroused many questions in Hitomi's mind.
Tears welled up in Hitomi's eyes. Hiroki's death had caused her to think of Van even more.
---
"Happy birthday!" Megumi was surprised.
She looked behind her. There was Takefumi Takako, holding a single long-stemmed rose. She glanced at Sakura, who was with her, and blushed. Takako was her sort of boyfriend. Sakura smiled at her.
Megumi shyly received the rose.
"Thank you," she whispered.
Takako smiled brightly.
Megumi and Sakura were on their way home after school.
"Hey, why don't we all go eat out," Takako said. "For your birthday. My treat. After all, its not everyday that you get to turn sixteen."
"Um. . ." Megumi hesitated.
Sakura elbowed Megumi.
"Oh all right," she finally agreed.
Takako was Sakura's age, seventeen. As a matter of fact, they were classmates. Megumi met Takako through Sakura. Takako and Sakura were very close friends.
After eating, the three of them headed to the park.
"Hey, I'm gonna go get a hot-dog," Sakura said a few minutes later. "Anyone of you want to come?"
"But we've just eaten!" Takako exclaimed.
"I'm hungry. I have a huge appetite, so what?" Sakura shrugged.
"No thanks," Megumi and Takako said at the same time.
The sun was setting. Takako held Megumi's hand. They were about to kiss when:
"Oops, sorry," Sakura said. "Was I interrupting or something? There wasn't any nearby hot-dog stand stand."
"No, no you weren't," Megumi answered, smiling up at the other girl.
Sakura shrugged. "I could go again. . ."
"No, no, stay," Megumi said, taking Sakura's hand.
---
"This was the best birthday of my whole life!" Megumi told her mother later on. "I just wish father was here with us."
She said the second sentence with much less enthusiasm.
Hitomi smiled at her daughter.
"Happy birthday," she said for the nth time that day.
"Thanks," Megumi smiled brightly at her.
They were in their backyard, having their own little picnic. Megumi arrived and was surprised at the simple little feast that her mother had made for her. She didn't even get the chance to go inside and change.
Suddenly, out of nowhere a white feather came fluttering down. A white feather. . . The first one in sixteen years.
"Van," Hitomi whispered.
"Van. . .Isn't that the name of my father?" Megumi asked.
"Something is happening," Hitomi said with certainty.
"Moooooooom. . ." Megumi said. "What is happening?"
That was when Hitomi noticed the bright light engulfing her daughter and pulling her up.
"Megumi!" she cried.
"Mom!"
In a split second, her daughter was gone.
"Megumi," she whispered.
It was only then that she began piecing it all up.
"The girl. . .the Mystic moon. . ." Hitomi said. "Megumi is the girl!"
She feared her conclusion. She feared for her daughter. If something was going to happen, that something was greater than the Great War. Her life had been endangered many times during that war. And if this was greater, her daughter was in danger. . .
"Megumi," she whispered. "Take care."

To be continued. . .